drbonner 17-Nov-17
Twinetickler 17-Nov-17
Stickthrower 17-Nov-17
Twinetickler 17-Nov-17
Thornton 18-Nov-17
drbonner 19-Nov-17
kscowboy 19-Nov-17
17-Nov-17
Hey guys my Dad and I recently just returned from our second hunt with an outfitter in units 3 and 7. Between the two of us and 40 sits we did not have a legit opportunity at a shooter buck. We are typically diy guys that have lots of experience hunting whitetail on our own. My wife and three kids love whitetail venison and I hate to eat my tag again for the second go round. Long story short we are trying to plan one last trip out probably after the rifle season. I'm doing some research on Lovewell state park and a walk in area around Woodston. If you all have any input on some places to look at in 3 or 7 it would be much appreciated. It's about a 13 hour drive to get out there for us so I would love to have a little more than a wing and a prayer setup as my Dad has done a ton for me trying to make some fun memories, maybe I can do some homework and put him on a KS buck. I can offer Utah mule deer knowledge in some easier to draw units where we consistently hunt good bucks 180+, could also pay a reasonable trespass fee, but we just want to be able to go hunt, hang our own sets and possibly have an opportunity at a decent buck or even a doe. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

17-Nov-17
u need to find an outfitter (if u choose that option again) that allows u to fill your doe tag.

17-Nov-17
Ya, nothing against the outfitter just not our cup of tea. Last year a guy in our group killed a buck that went 198 and another mid 150 buck was killed. We thought we would roll the dice again this year and struck out. We determined we are much happier hunting on our own, scouting, hanging our own sets and trying to take the best buck or doe available. No need to have our hands held even if there is a chance at a real whopper.

17-Nov-17
We hunt private land as well. No way I’d pay what some of these guys charge the not even fill a doe tag.

17-Nov-17
Agreed I feel like we went to Vegas and flushed our money down a slot machine haha. Second time shame on us.....

17-Nov-17
There are cows on a lot of the big chunk of WIHA south of Woodston. Otherwise, looks OK. Was not impressed with the sign on it.

17-Nov-17
Thanks for the info. One of the walk in areas just east of Woodston borders a property we hunted so it caught my curiosity. Would be a spot we stop to check for sign etc. Cows suck though! Thanks again.

18-Nov-17
Very few top notch outfitters in Ks. All you do is pay to sit a stand that has already been hunted on a farm that was overhunted before you got there

19-Nov-17
The place next to ours is outfitted. Every morning at 5:30 the truck pulls in and drives through the place making 4 stops dropping hunters out. About 10:30 the same truck comes back through and picks up 4 hunters. At 2:00 the same truck comes back on property and drops they 4 guys off. Then he comes driving back through there picking them up at 6:00. That’s 4 trips a day in and out of a property where he’s driving through the hunting areas. Some of the guys killed decent bucks but not $3000+ worth imo. I assume they’re hunting over feeders that have been running year round to have that much vehicle traffic and still see some deer.

19-Nov-17

kscowboy's Link
Baiting makes some outfitters look like geniuses. There's a reason states outlaw it, aside from spreading disease.

If you don't bait enough, expect negative reviews--see link

• Sitka Gear