Auggie 18-Nov-17
Qdiver911 18-Nov-17
Fran 19-Nov-17
pondboy 19-Nov-17
Moons22 19-Nov-17
Eastie778 19-Nov-17
BmurphyJr 19-Nov-17
17-Nov-17
Had a beautiful eight pointer come in this afternoon around 3, he was walking straight towards my tree and the only shot i could get was about 10 yards away with him facing me. I took the shot and the arrow hit him a few inches to the left of the spine near the liver/ back of the lungs and I got about 10 inches of penetration. I watched him run off and probably bed down, I backed out quietly. This was the first buck I have ever shot at, and the second deer I have shot at, looking back I am kicking myself for taking the shot but what are you;re opinions on tracking? Should I go back later tonight, tomorrow am. I am hoping he bedded down near me because i was in the only real thick stuff in the area near water. Thank you, any tips greatly appreciated

17-Nov-17
Depends if it is going to rain or not. I’d go tonight if so. Problem is if you hit top of deer their may not be much of blood trail. If it rains in morning you may be screwed.

17-Nov-17
no chance of rain down here, i wish i didnt take the shot, let my emotions get the best of me... I think I hit liver maybe back lung. Hopefully he bedded right down and i got good penetration, gonna search like hell

17-Nov-17
I don't think there is any more rain predicted for tonight. That said, I would still go back tonight with good lights and at least one buddy. You still have another opportunity first thing tomorrow morning. Don't know what zone your in, but rain predicted in Z11 late afternoon. Give it your best effort and put in as many hours as needed to find him. He deserves it. Keep us posted.

17-Nov-17
You have to assume you may have paunch shot the deer, wait a minimum of 6-8 hrs and he should not go far. If you missed vitals and only paunch shot him going earlier will cause you to lose the deer.

17-Nov-17
thank you, I have a group of 4 to help me, was right near the only bedding/water in the area, Gonna grid search tomorrow based off where i saw him run

17-Nov-17
leave him be tonight....do not go out in the dark....he will die in that first bed if not pushed....go in the morning....this is what I did last Saturday on my liver hit....

17-Nov-17
and if u shot him head on....that arrow will likely come down through belly and exit under deer....guts will plug the exit hole and u will have no blood likely so don't worry about rain.... try to get some rest tonight...that deer will be dead and ready for u in the morning

17-Nov-17
sorry your post said 10 inches penetration...arrow still in him...likely same issue with sparse blood with high hit....

17-Nov-17
thank you urban hunter, i will keep everyone updated

17-Nov-17
What urban said. If what you said is correct your deer will be found tomorrow. Take it slow when tracking . The extra eyes will help for sure but don't rush because you can turn a lot of leaves around and lose evidence of where that deer went. If you got lung he will bleed out his nose/mouth. You got this Pondboy!

17-Nov-17
Ditto. I'd add that if you hit lung then into liver area you busted opened the diaphragm. That will make breathing extremely difficult, without the blood taken into account.

Don't push, go in at first light. Listen hard for coyotes or crows. Be prepared to take a shot when you come across him. If he is still alive.

Good luck, let us know when you find him - you will!

17-Nov-17
I'd go tonight, you shot him at 3:00. Head in around nine, be quiet like you're still hunting. 6 hours is a good amount of time. If you hear him jump walk away, Don't feed the yotes if you don't have too.

17-Nov-17
if he's coming toward you he will by the laws of physics turn or move past you... Unless he climbs the tree you're in ;) next time hold your nerve and your draw until he gives u a better shot. you won't feel nearly as bad about him giving you the slip compared to not finding him I feel like these high powered fast shooting bows make folks think they can shoot them however they like... treat every shot like its a stick bow and you'll rarely disappoint

17-Nov-17
The thing is that I shot this deer on a control hunt on a military base so I doubt I could go back this late, I talked to the person who was running the check in from masswildlife and he said there isnt a high density of coyotes on the base. I know im rolling the dice but im hoping it will work out

17-Nov-17
cougar I definlty let my emotions get the best of me, If he continued past me I knew I wouldnt have gotten a shot because of how thick it got so i took the marginal shot. Definetely lesson learned, im self taught so i was super excited to see a buck of that caliber, im gonna do all i can to find him and learn from this for next time

17-Nov-17
He will likely be dead tomorrow morning . Bring your bow and walk slowly , just in case. Have only one person out front and stay off the trail . Mark each blood with tissue paper or the like. Then advance like a leapfrog . Save the rest of the folks if the trail runs dry for a grid search . They will only get in the way and complicate the trail , on the first attempt.. He will likely be about 100 yards away on the trail he was running. Meat will be fine , no rush. Good luck .

17-Nov-17
Wait and go in morning

17-Nov-17
Hardest thing to do, but wait till the morning and go really slow. Like other guys said, it's really easy to stomp up an area in the dark and ruin your chances of tracking. All you have then is a grid search, which can be really tough. With about all the leaves dropped, don't underestimate being able to track in the dry leaves, even without blood. If you go really slow and think logically, you should have a lot of info to go off of. If he was as nice a deer as you said, his track should be fairly distinct, which also helps. Good luck man hope you get him, keep us posted.

17-Nov-17
Do Not go back tonight !! If you hit liver and or guts he WILL BE DEAD !! He probably won't be very far from the last place you saw him . You will find him if you don't push him tonight. Good luck man !! You will get him !!

17-Nov-17
sounds like you have no choice but to wait. Wait being the key word as in wait for a better shot next time but it sounds like you know that. Broadside is best always.

17-Nov-17
I personally have made the bad decision of going right after a deer the night of, I agree with what has been said above, wait till the morning. No rain coming and its going to be plenty cold. Its the hardest thing to do sitting at the house waiting for the morning but its your best chance of finding him in his bed. If the hit was high and he is still able to run when you jump him there will be next to no blood trail and you will be grid searching for him and most likely the blood will not be very easy to track.

17-Nov-17
Hey vtec haven't seen you post much this fall. How are doing in the woods?

17-Nov-17
Wait for light... Hopefully you have made that choice since it's 11:16. If you did get mostly liver/GI and went in up high... there will be minimal blood. And he may need 12-16hrs. So... I'd wait sleep in, have a good breakfast, and go to the scene of the shot and then edge along looking for blood - half still hunting, half tracking. Scan as far as you can see with binos - in all directions with each bit of blood or tracks. Look for anything deerish - white, an ear, etc.

With luck, you find him within 100yds of where you last saw him... But you may have little to no blood at all.

18-Nov-17
Good luck... keep us posted!

18-Nov-17
Any word

18-Nov-17
about to head back out right now, my four buddies are meeting me at my house. Not a long drive there. I will keep everyone updated

18-Nov-17
good luck! we are pulling for you....one last piece of humble advice....if u caught liver he is dead....if u only caught guts....he will definitely die but may take 18 to 24 hourz....go slow and quiet...

18-Nov-17
Make sure you have a bow!! Good luck.

18-Nov-17
Good luck

18-Nov-17
Good luck

18-Nov-17
Howd we make out at Otis?!?

18-Nov-17

pondboy's embedded Photo
pondboy's embedded Photo
Found him!! Perfect lung shot, got about 12 in penetration. Didn't go 50 yards!!! So happy, hell of a first buck!

18-Nov-17
Brilliant ! well done.

18-Nov-17
Great buck! Congrats

18-Nov-17
awesome!!! congrats!!!! great buck!

18-Nov-17
Hell ya!! Congrats man

18-Nov-17
Great job!!!

18-Nov-17
Hell of a 100th buck nice!

18-Nov-17
Fantastic. Glad you found him!

18-Nov-17
Fantastic. Glad you found him!

18-Nov-17
Good job! Follow through e executed perfectly! You should be proud!!!

18-Nov-17
Congratulations on your persistence and effort. Great job!!

18-Nov-17
Congratulations !! Beautiful buck !! Great job !!

18-Nov-17
Nice job!

18-Nov-17
Congrats!!!! How about a good pic!?!?!?

18-Nov-17
Excellent,! I see a Taxidermist in your future.

18-Nov-17
Awesome!!

18-Nov-17

pondboy's embedded Photo
pondboy's embedded Photo
here is a better picture moons, gotta love having friends that dont mind waking up early on saturday to help me track and drag!

18-Nov-17
Pondboy, that is a Awesome deer! Great job!

18-Nov-17
Congrats awsome buck.

18-Nov-17
Congratulations. Great deer and great shot.

18-Nov-17
WTG congrats! Great deer.

18-Nov-17
awsome pic of you and your buds! one for the sandbar crew!!!

18-Nov-17
AWESOME - congratulations! Super to have good buds, but even better that you all found it.

18-Nov-17
Heck of a deer, congrats!

18-Nov-17
Cheers

19-Nov-17
Great accomplishment! I bet that there will be more to come for you. Hunt hard!

19-Nov-17
Thanks everybody! So grateful everything worked out

19-Nov-17
Awesome pic pondboy happy for you

19-Nov-17
Great job, and a nice buck!!!

19-Nov-17
Congrats man, that is a sweet deer!

• Sitka Gear