Pi 21-Nov-17
Vash1 21-Nov-17
spike78 21-Nov-17
Pi 21-Nov-17
arch2112 21-Nov-17
Vash1 21-Nov-17
arch2112 21-Nov-17
18-Nov-17
In my area of zone 11 the guys with the cross bows are tagging out. I'm frustrated I've been seeing some deer out of range and with time and patience I will usually shoot one. However 2 of the prime bucks I've been hunting were taking with a crossbow at 60 plus yards. It use to be nice looking forward to shotgun for deer that were not within bow distance. Now they are taken by crossbows. That being said if someone legit needs a crossbow fine but no scope. The majority of people in the woods with crossbows don't need them it's just easier. Maybe they should make a crossbow season for all.Thoughts?

18-Nov-17
I agree

18-Nov-17
now theres an idea id be alright with that

18-Nov-17
I've been in a couple archery shops where 50% of inventory is crossbows, which I find interesting.

18-Nov-17
I have mixed feelings about crossbows. On one hand I'm glad that they are getting more hunters into the woods, we need new hunter recruitment. And on the other hand, there are definitely a huge number of people cheating the system. I've got an acquaintance who has a permit to use a crossbow and he has no major injury that prevents him from using a bow, but it's easier and he's as lazy a hunter as one can possibly be. I had a complete shoulder reconstruction a few years ago and could easily get the crossbow permit. Having first hand experience with 20+ shoulder dislocations, 2 surgeries and no problem pulling 60 lbs+ I find it very hard to believe everyone in the woods with a crossbow actually has a legitimate need for one. I hate umbrella statements, but I'm about to make one. I think crossbow hunters as a group are less ethical than those that shoot a horizontal bow. I would be all for a separate crossbow season as long as we can also hunt with our bows during that season.

18-Nov-17
I could easily get my doctor to sign the form. Issue is you could never pick up a bow afterwards. I just can't give up my bow. It just feels so natural in my hands. Could I have gotten 2 or 3 more deer than I have gotten in my 4 years hunting? Yes. Would I ever give up my bow, NO. A season for crossbows and no note needed? I'm down for that. My 2 cents. Thanks

18-Nov-17
I’ve had a fake shoulder since I was 27, bought a new bow following year with 65 lb draw, almost 8 years later still have no problem shooting, one thing if your handicap, another thing just to do it because you can get a doctors note. Deer hunting with a bow is close quarters work in my eyes not 60 plus yards away with a scope. Rant over ,all for there own season , but I will stick with a bow as long as I can shoot it. Until pumpkin season then I become a pumpkin myself.

18-Nov-17
There is always the talk of extending the season for deer whether it's Sunday hunting or early opener. Here is their chance. Open the season 2 weeks early and have it crossbow/bow only. Or better yet take the first 2 weeks of bow opener and make it both

I for one am not in favor of having Sunday hunting or opening the season sooner. Sorry for you guys who have a hard time getting out during the week. In my opinion that is what vacation/sick days are for. I think it would have a big impact on deer numbers and hunter satisfaction. Some of you guys who really haven't seen anything yet or shot a deer. How would you like the season to be open longer so there is more time for other people to shoot more deer. I really don't think the biologists have an accurate number on deer densities in this state. The vary widely from area to area. More days afield with more hunters = less deer at the end of the season

18-Nov-17
I used one in Virginia and it was the most uncomfortable thing I lugged into the woods and they are loud as hell at the shot. Odd reason why I bought one was because I bought a climber with a railing that my short ass could not shoot a compound over it so I got the crossbow. My area was so infested with deer that it was fun to try out different weapons. I moved back here before the handgun was going to be tried. I also tipped the bolts with Rages. Go figure ha.

18-Nov-17
If crossbows were legalized you would get ever yankee in the woods from shotgun season and the amount of deer will be drastically reduced. I watched it destroy bow season in NJ.

18-Nov-17
I know 5 guys who now are xbow, 1 legit cannot pull a bow back anymore due to injury cannot be fixed and would either away and due if he was not in the woods during this time. The other 4 thought whackem and stackem. Different mentality than a seasoned bow hunter. I agree with Oneday121o on that

18-Nov-17
That's wither away and die...not either way and due. Sorry, hate my phone

18-Nov-17
This is a tough one. I know some folks who legitimately need them if they hope to hunt during archery season. This site though is sort of an echo chamber... Everyone here LOVES to bowhunt, and probably just plain hunt. But everyone is into it enough, that most of us are on here all year, and observing the deer we chase all year... It's a big part of our lives. So we may have different views from many folks.

I wrestle with it...

I want to make sure people can keep at it, and that hunting opportunities are maximized so that we have the best odds of sustaining a strong group to fight for hunting rights and sustain the lifestyle if you will...

That said, when you have people using xbows as a way to extend gun season (essentially) and really hunting with them the same way they would hunt with a gun... that does seem to not fit the spirit of an archery season.

I'm good with the current law here... though it is confusing how many folks today seem to have them and hunt with them vs even 10 years ago...

18-Nov-17
Having been raised in a Hunter/ Gatherer Family, a public servant for more than 2 decades, avid Spearo, long bow hunter for 3 decades.... I find myself on the "Other Side" After 2 shoulder recons ( contemplating #3 at MGH) I have no choice. Do I want to be X-Bow only? Obviously not, however this is the hand I'm dealt. My Excalibur has no scope, I treat it like my speargun, practice practice practice. If this was not an option, I would be a lost soul. I do my scouting, I do my time in the preseason as I always have,just a different means of harvest. I'm thankful I have this option. (Getting stuck in my wetsuit still sucks, always will until I can't spearfish anymore,I make sure I have a dive buddy to get me out) just my 2 cents on this after being on this great planet for 5 decades Cheers, straight arrows, calm seas & be safe

19-Nov-17
Qdiver, is Dr. Holovac's doing your surgery at MGH?

19-Nov-17
Crossbows should be legal to use during the gun season, not archery.

19-Nov-17
I agree with BC.

19-Nov-17
Dthfrmabove.....totally agree.

19-Nov-17
Dthfrmabove .....x3

19-Nov-17
No Sunday Hunting is a bs archaic law. It should be pulled. I have an extremely flexible job where I manage my own schedule so it doesn't really affect me, I get my days in the woods. But it wasn't always the case. The guy that works 5 or 6 days a week, or wants to watch his kid play sports on Saturday could use Sunday. Decrease tags if you want to make the hunting experience better.

19-Nov-17
Xbow or Conventional...you're only as good as the weapon you use .... Why do I sense a whinning issue ? ....and nothing other .. no scope...no bow season .... would you like that deer delivered?

19-Nov-17
JP Warner. Teaches shoulder surgery at Harvard

19-Nov-17
I don't know....in my case I have had 3 disk replaced in my neck, conventional bows are in the past for me..unfortunetly ! ..I loved hunting with a compound, those days are gone...wasn't directing ill feelings towards anyone,,, but just because you don't harvest a deer , you shouldn't start pinning it on other folks..we are all here together...and in a couple days , somebody is going to bring up the "Orange Army" ...compared to us Neandrathal hunters..we all live together and hunt together...let us all be one and be grateful we are not antis...cause they s***

20-Nov-17
I have been following this site for about 4 years, have posted maybe 3-4 times. The reason is the anti cross bow feeling I get here. My legs are both paralyzed from the knees down- no movement on either leg. I hunted with a compound bow for 15 years never took a shot, as I can only shoot from a seated position. which as all of you know really limits available shots. Finally my hunting partner say-go get a crossbow permit, I waited 3 more years ,finally in 2011 I got one and harvested my first deer. Boy did that feel good, I have been lucky enough to harvest 4 deer with my crossbow since then. The longest shot I have ever taken was 30 yards, and shots that will kill. Because of my injury I can not drag my own deer so when I hunt is always dependent on who is available to help me if I am lucky enough to connect. I get the generalization about guys who don't need them, If you look at me you would think I don't because of my upper body ,but I can't even pull a crossbow back I need to use the mechanical draw. Sorry so long winded- but this thread is part of the reason I never post.

20-Nov-17
Some people are missing the point here. As I clearly stated for people that legitimately need them it's fine. As far as a scope well I personally have mixed feelings about that. But we all know there are many people that are hunting with them that don't need them.

20-Nov-17
Vash1, That is a great explanation of your situation. I doub't any reasonable person will stand against you.

Apparently this thread is the very reason you posted and that's great. You have my support.

I have no problem with crossbow use as it likely leads to greater kill ratio. I know of a hunter that has benefited greatly from it in his shot to kill ratio. There are good points being made about wide spread use leading to more hunters but that could be mitigated by lesser tags for each user. Such as 1 buck and 1 doe , 2 does and no buck , or whatever keeps the numbers balanced.

20-Nov-17
I completely understand using an xbow if using a bow truly isn't an option. I think everyone should be able to be out there and share in what we love. I know people who used to love to bowhunt, but just can't do it anymore for whatever reason. For that reason, I'm all for it! BUT, I do know some guys (including a friend) who is completely capable of drawing his bow, but asked his Dr. for the note and got one. He now has an xbow that shoots some ridiculous speed an distance. I don't like the fact that he is using one when he really doesn't need to. Now, I have a very bad shoulder... It hurts to draw my bow. Just started this season... must have done it in the gym... I think it's my cuff... I'm sure if I have it taken care of this winter / summer and I'll be just fine for next season.... but what if it's not? I will cross that bridge when the time comes...

20-Nov-17
I'm a disabled veteran. Nothing wrong with my arms, legs, torso, neck, back, etc. Just by being a disabled veteran I can walk into my primary care or a VA clinic and get that note signed and boom I have a permit. I'm willing to bet a lot of vets use it to their advantage. However, some people really do need them. Crossbows have plenty of limits and in some situations are not the best choice to use. That being said I shoot a vertical bow because I have sunk way too much money into it to just give it up. Plus I kind of like shooting it and it gets me out of the house more often. My father and his older brother (uncle) both have crossbows and take deer every year with them. They are the most ethical hunters I've ever met and learned from besides my grandfather. If it wasn't for the crossbow they both would be waiting for gun season in order to hunt. I truly believe the crossbow is not a problem at all. These things are bulky, loud, and hard to "re-load" for a follow up shot or for a second chance. The range of 60+ yards is kind of extreme for the woods of Massachusetts. Not saying its not possible but I rarely see good ethical shot opportunities at those ranges with a bow or crossbow in the areas I hunt. The range of 0-60 yards is more than achievable with a vertical bow, especially nowadays. My pins are sighted out to 60 yards and I practice at that distance. I'll eventually make the switch once I cant pull back my vertical bow anymore. I believe crossbows will be legal for all soon, most states are already switching over. I say root for the other guys, congratulate them, and set yourself up for success at the same time. A dude with a crossbow shouldn't be deterring you from getting in the woods. Find other areas, get a climber and go mobile. You will find deer, there's so many options man. Good luck with the rest of the season!

20-Nov-17
I guess generalizing is the issue. Maybe rethink who your friends with or call them out. I also don't want to be penalized into having a shorter season because I'm disabled.

Bottom line is you can't fix stupid!

20-Nov-17
Vash that's awesome. It's great that you can continue to do what you love and keep enjoying the outdoors!

Keep posting, your experiences would likely help those of us who do not face the same challenges, to both learn and grow as hunters, and as people.

To me, you or anyone with a situation which mandates xbow use should absolutely do so - it's what the current law is, and it seems to work well.

Ungie summed my feelings better than I did above. Given my enjoyment of a lot of activities which could lead to shoulder problems (mountain biking, xc skiing, archery, weightlifting etc), I may well be applying for an Xbow permit in the coming years. I'd be able to get one and have a blast hunting with it.

20-Nov-17
Just remember as someone eluded to above, once you go that route your stuck with it. Cant go back in Mass, at thats what I found out when my buddy had shoulder issues. We have a guy that hunts one of our spots that hunts with one as his legs are crippled. I think its great. He shot a corker a few years ago. Was great to see.

20-Nov-17
Duhunt and others who are of the mind set that "needing" a crossbow due to a hardship ,is the only legitimate argument for using one . I wonder what is behind the thinking or feeling of this . I am not being critical of you good folks but of the logic behind the idea.

The deer are a shared entity with the people of the commonwealth . We bow hunters do not have a an exclusive or lopsided claim on them. How one harvests a deer is governed by ones personal conscience. There are almost as many positions as there are individuals. Tradition or some emotional position is not an argument with much substance in the taking of wild game even though it is a common sentiment.

The issue , I believe, is having enough deer to go around and sustain the population for the future , in a way that we enjoy. Greater harvest , if that was the result is only one small factor in the deer population. Car kills far outweigh the assumed future difference . Deer that are not recovered and contribute to the predictors well being, is another . In other words there are things that could be done to increase the deer population if that was needed . Greater accuracy may make up for the lost deer and is an argument for the ethical side , of hunting .

Mitigating factors of deer density : Food availability is one of them. Occasional deer harvest limits could be another. A partial rest year every so often. Etc. But I don't think it will ever be needed because of the deer's ability to flourish in our back yards. The abundance has to move into hunt-able spaces. The un-huntable spaces are a crucible of deer breeding already.

I am happy for anyone who is attempting to pursue "traditional" approaches If that is their calling but that isn't a fair argument against others who have another goal or other process/purpose in mind. It is a bias but not a valid or logical argument.

Why should there be a restriction on crossbows or scopes ?

20-Nov-17
My contention is not that people use them, rather that they belong in the gun season. If someone has a legitimate medical issue, that's one thing but crossbows are shoulder fired weapons that do not have to be drawn and held. Not a bow.

20-Nov-17
I just hurd VT just leagelized air compressed arrow guns to hunt deer with

20-Nov-17
Air compressed arrow guns- I'm all set

Mass is too liberal, I can't see them passing Xbow use to all

The debate could go back and forth and it won't change anyone's view point. "Walk a day in another mans shoes" Maybe like PI said, maybe it's not about with what the deer are taken with. I see a ton of pics on here of young deer if given the opportunity to grow would make the heard stronger- if we manage ourselves. Take mature deer, doe's and those with bad genetics maybe that would make for a stronger future of hunting.

20-Nov-17
i started out with a bear whitetail 25+ yrs ago,been doing this for a while now. 5 years ago suffered a serious shoulder injury on the job. again,25+yrs of manual labor, landscape/tree work. was out of work for a year throughout entire process,and had to get out of that work that was all i knew.i now work in a nursery,not as labor intensive. my surgeon is not the type of man to just sign things w/his name on it,if he would even consider doing anything at all,outside of your treatment.however,he did in fact fill out the form on my behalf,agreeing it was a "permanent" injury,as it must be to qualify for this permit in mass. that being said,i have taken 1 deer with it. and was no where near 60 yds!!! thats absurd in the woods...i had to chime in finally because this thread is starting to sound like "in house" hunter harassment to an extent. i hope nobody here has an injury like myself,but its nice to know you can still hunt archery as i always have.

20-Nov-17
Why should people using a crossbow have the advantage of a scope? I shot my friends crossbow with a scope,you can stack arrows at 100 yards. We are all entitled to our opinions. As far as deer harvest the quota is never filled. Did anyone notice how high the number of anterless deer permits there were this year? Maybe it's more about the money then herd management or the gamble of what they expect for the final results.

20-Nov-17
Good points Vash1 .

20-Nov-17
I've always been a traditional archer. it's just what I like. I don't take many deer either, but that's a different story. I've only owned recurves but someday maybe I'll pony up for a long bow. anyway, if you head over to the traditional bow sites you'll see some of this same talk aimed at the "wheelie" bow guys sometimes. I've watched guys on youtube shoot out past 80yds w/ a compound bow, some even shooting further. granted that is target practice and maybe just showing off a bit. with practice longer shots are possible w/ a compound bow. I don't think too many on here would take a shot on a deer from that distance but it is possible. From what I've read NH it is similar to MA for bow season, meaning you need a doc's note for a permanent disability to use a crossbow during archer season. but you can also purchase a crossbow license to use during firearm season, no disability required. (note: it is a little confusing so please correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe if MA had that option some people wouldn't be taking advantage of the disability requirement. Let's face it some people are going to take advantage of situations if they can. IMO

traditional muzzle loader vs. break / bolt action models. semi-auto 12ga vs. ........ it goes on and on. I'm not taking sides, but both have some points. the better points have been coming from those who truly need a crossbow or wouldn't be hunting. and I'm just glad they are able to still enjoy something that they may not have w/out the crossbow.

20-Nov-17
I'm not a big fan of them,and this coming from a 30 year old whos shoulders are like glass. I should really get surgery before I have no other choice. Dropped to 55lbs in 2012, and I haven't had any problems yet.

20-Nov-17
DAhunt - first you said Xbow hunters are killing all the deer in your area now you say the quota is never filled??

Do you hunt with a long now with no sights? Or a compound with let off and sights? Really? Sounds like some of your friends are killing the deer you want , not by means you have access to and your pissed off.

As an ethical hunter I wouldn't take a 60yard shot even with my Xbow . Like bigsevig , I would never wish on anyone what I have dealt with the last 25 years. I would like to think we all hunt because we love being outdoors and being able to be primal and it is a privlilage to take these animals. I love seeing these huge deer on this site, I am not jealous that I have never even seen one like that in the woods never mind harvested one. I get to live through Moons Will Tazman to name a few, it keeps me motivated . Happy Thanksgiving all!!

20-Nov-17
First of all, my area doesn't qualify for all of zone 11. Also I have nothing to be jealous about. I am in the record books for zone 11 you can look it up.

20-Nov-17
My statement further up this thread was probably a little harsh when I said crossbow hunters are less ethical than vertical bow hunters. Obviously there are people here who really need a crossbow and I fully support your right to use one. I'd be more than happy to help any of you drag a deer from the woods. My opinion of xbow hunters is admittedly based on a fairly small sample and unfortunately they aren't doing the xbow community any favors. Hell, with my history of major shoulder issues, I might be in the crossbow camp in 10, 20 or 30 years.

My issue arises, because I've never seen a study that showcases how the large influx of crossbow hunters in our state is affecting the deer herd. Everything I've read leads me to believe we have a very sustainable deer herd based upon human population, available habitat and food availability for the deer. It's my understanding that archery seasons in all states are much longer, because it is a weapon that has many limitations and therefore it takes more time in the woods for hunters to reach the states kill quota. If only hunters who had a legitimate need for a crossbow were using them I assume the affect would be negligible. However, we know there are thousands of hunters in the woods who do not physically require a crossbow and who are killing deer more easily than those of us who are using horizontal bows. I'm not convinced it has been thoroughly studied by Massachusetts biologists.

20-Nov-17
And there it is!!!

I'm happy for you you should be proud of that.

We all hunt for different reasons.

20-Nov-17
In the record books ! Holy cow are others on this site also?

Nice Dahunt! Nice,..

20-Nov-17
I repeat! Legalizing crossbows will absolutely destroy bow hunting! I watched it happen in NJ. Stands everywhere, it completely took over shotgun season and muzzleloader. Most guys just drive with the shotguns and hunt crossbows all year long. Bow hunting is meant to be a challenge, you can shoot a deer 50 yards away flat through a pocket of trees with a crossbow, it is not a challenge.

20-Nov-17
HFC if that is a fact ( deer are more easily taken or more often so with the x- bow) then we could or should limit the bag limit with that instrument. 1 doe and 1 buck and your out or some such adjustment. I believe there would be more success in the kill to shot ratio which would also preserve the otherwise un -recovered . The numbers would likely be a wash.

20-Nov-17
must have some pretty sparse woods in jersey,to shoot 50 yds, flat through pockets of trees! hell,sounds like a modern compound would do the same there? lots of stands here,has been for a long time. ha.ha. think you might be missing the point,if anyone can hunt crossbow in jersey.not the case here. let it be and "do you".

20-Nov-17
Tough call to say that a crossbow isn't any better to use in Mass than a compound bow.

Guys in a situation like Vash1 shouldn't be denied the right to hunt during archery season, some guys truly are limited to using a crossbow. A lot of guys are getting the permit and can still shoot a compound no problem.

I have three friends that use a crossbow, one was in a motorcycle accident, one had shoulder surgery, and one is just lazy.

The one who had surgery is good to go, wants to hunt with his compound again but I guess once you get the permit you're stuck. That should be looked at if it is a stipulation to getting a permit. Need to change that.

Buddy with the bike accident, he can't draw a compound bow. He needs it to hunt.

My lazy buddy, well he hasn't shot a deer with the bow in fifteen years. He tagged out last year, bragging about how easy it was with the crossbow. That proves to me that a crossbow is an advantage over other bows.

Tougher restrictions on permits is needed. If not, let everyone use one.

Being shoulder fired, looking through a scope and not drawing the string and holding it back doesn't even come close to being considered archery equipment to me. It does have a string, limbs and a so called arrow ( bolt) but I still think it has a definite advantage over a regular hand drawn bow and makes hunting deer a little easier.

20-Nov-17
Compounds you can’t shoot flat because of the trajectory of an arrow. A cross bow shoots faster and thus the trajectory is a lot more flat so you can really get it in tight spots between brush or with low hanging branches. Two bucks on my wall are from that same situation. A lot of the mature deer won’t come out into the open-areas except during early season at all when they walk. Guys complaining about not having a shot should be moving, deer will pattern your stand especially if it is used a lot. You should be moving constantly or should use your stand as a lookout point than make your move on the deer trail when the wind is good.

21-Nov-17
I am really struggling to not respond more on this thred. "Guys complaining about no shot should be moving"- not clear who that's to?

This site is great for the most part , a place where similar people come to share their knowledge and experience with each other. I'm sure like my house your wife and kids don't want to listen to your hunting stories every day-lol But it feels like the whole we should take away all guns kind of thing- a few assholes who get xbows for the wrong reason or to abuse the system we lump in everyone. I would think the people on this site who use them like me , are more like the rest of you but have had something happen that makes it IMPOSSIBLE for us a long bow or compound. What I would give to walk normal, or balance when I stand, not trip and fall every time I walk on uneven ground, to be able to use a stand higher then 12 feet off the ground because I need to hold on the ladder with one hand while I pull my leg up to the next rung. To have any sort of circulation in my feet so that under 50degrees I am freezing my ass off. To be able to hunt when I want and not have to make sure friends are around if I need help. I could seriously go on and on. Not looking for pity, just think first before you post , allowing Xbow was done for a reason- without it I would only be able to gun hunt . I hunt a Bow only spot so I would be done. Glad I'm not. Sorry so long winded just extremely agrevated by some of the comments. Bad enough as a hunter you get looked down upon from non hunters , now it happens on a hunting site. Just sucks.

21-Nov-17
Vash1 . I am not one of those people your pissed with. And I doubt anyone is trying to hurt your feelings about this . Its just that people comment about their own experiences without full context or having read the entire post for the subtle things in them. Don't take it to heart.

I would like to know if you agree or not : Is it easier to hunt with a crossbow all things equal , and if it results in higher success . Even with disabilities included. That is a lot of variables . But if it is easier in your opinion , is it reasonable to limit the amount of harvest with each weapon or overall ? Should others without a disability be able to use one too , but with a bag limit ?

21-Nov-17
PI- not sure pissed is the correct word. I do believe it is easier, similar to a gun yes and certainly would increase kill rate overall. But to say guys are taking 60 yard shots?, really? Not me my max in a clear area would be 40 tops, I have never taken a deer over 20yards. Do we limit the amount of deer taken in shotgun or black powder? Not sure how it relates because it's during the rut? I think if there is a law or system in place on who uses them, I would like to think it's legit but like doctors prescribing pain meds and other shady stuff hard to control. I'm not sure about how I feel about everyone having the right to use one ? Would more people hunt? Bag limits wouldn't change 2 bucks and what doe permits you get. Been that way as long as I can remember other then there being so many surplus permits. Which don't you think guys but more then they will use as sort of a way to not have so many shot??

21-Nov-17
Man oh man is the myth wrong my second season with a crossbow I have yet to put meat in the fridge. I can't draw 25 lbs without severely damaging my shoulder. We are all in it fur the love of the outdoors will someone please help me find an area I can hunt in that's not full of hunters. Zone 11

21-Nov-17
Man oh man is the myth wrong my second season with a crossbow I have yet to put meat in the fridge. I can't draw 25 lbs without severely damaging my shoulder. We are all in it fur the love of the outdoors will someone please help me find an area I can hunt in that's not full of hunters. Zone 11

21-Nov-17
Pitbull- I have only taken 4 in 7 years and one year I got 2. So not like fish in a barrel

21-Nov-17
Pitbull- I have only taken 4 in 7 years and one year I got 2. So not like fish in a barrel

21-Nov-17

21-Nov-17
Vash1 I hear you just making a point that it's not a wam bam thank you mam and I've been putting in sometime in the woods.

21-Nov-17
Vash1 , I got yu . thanks for the correction and your further dialogue. There are clearly several issues in this topic . Meat in the freezer comes up often enough and it is important to some hunters , maybe most. Enjoying the experience of being in front of deer or in nature is also important to some or most. Taking 4 or 5 deer or more seems excessive to me but some find it important or live off of it.

I don't have any problem with anyone using any instrument and find no great reason to limit the method, provided it doesn't have a negative effect on the future of what is best for all of us.

I would like to see more tall fences along roads where deer get pummeled by cars often . That would keep the population in higher numbers but I don't think it will happen.

21-Nov-17
lol agreed

21-Nov-17
This season I could of had my 308 with me and shot a total of 1 deer. With the crossbow 0.

21-Nov-17
I could have killed one last year ( a wall hanger for sure) but he didn't take that last step as I crested the hill in my jeep. Darn cross walk made me slow down .

21-Nov-17
For those with a disability I am truly understanding and hope you all can get the time in the field and the ability to take game. Years ago I had an injury that could have possibly taken hunting permanently out of my life. Thankfully I have had a full recovery and managed to hunt the past 3 years. No hunting at all in the beginning, then slowly made a transition from gun back to bow.

Here is how I see it. You can shoot muzzleloaders in shotgun season but not the other way around. Creating a bow only season and a dual season (crossbow and bow) would be acceptable to me. What that would look is hard to agree on, but adding Sundays gives everyone a few more days. Decrease tag allotment and everyone gets to see deer and make a decision on what's best for them. Meat or trophy. As far as meat hunters go, I have no problem with it. It's the real reason to take a deer, but I hear guys say they have too much and are trying to give it away. If you can't eat it all, don't shoot more deer. Or I had one guy tell me he made his wife go to hunter ed and get a license so he can use her tags. She never steps into the woods.

21-Nov-17
Well I guess its good for me and all the other guys who really need to use an xbow that no changes will ever happen in this state. Clearly to the biologists there are not enough deer being culled or there wouldn't be so many surplus doe tags for sale. They are not going to limit xbow to a season of their own, and in this liberal state they will not allow hunting on Sundays and I can't see them letting everyone hunt with a xbow.

Arch- who honestly needs 5 deer?, and we all know there are guys out there who probably shoot more then 2 Bucks and use a buddy's tag, which is a load of BS.

Maybe we should start a program to donate meat to a homeless shelter or to a Vet program to feed Veterans? IDK -

21-Nov-17
I'm totally cool with sharing the whole bow season with those who really need the crossbow. I would love to have my children start out hunting with one until they can pull back the 40 lbs. It's the guys who lied so they can take shortcuts are the problem. But you are right Vash, nothing changes fast in MA.

• Sitka Gear