Proline 19-Nov-17
BC 19-Nov-17
muzzy 19-Nov-17
mrw 19-Nov-17
Will 20-Nov-17
BruceP 20-Nov-17
mrw 20-Nov-17
19-Nov-17
First of all the number of deer in our harvest thread far out number the "I cant find my deer threads".

I'll present a few non controversial proposals regarding the I cant find my deer threads first. 1) Mass should allow the use of tracking dogs like many other states do. 2) New hunters should always have experienced blood trackers available to help. Experienced trackers know this can be tough and go multiple days. It is often anticipating what the deer will do rather than following blood. That only comes from experience. KUDOs to the many of the Mass bow-siters who have offered help. Perhaps next year a volunteer list by area can be made available prior to the season. 3) Maybe it does now but it didn't when I took it. Bow-hunter Ed. should have multiple blood trailing simulations. In fact this should be the majority of the course. Multiple and some very challenging. Even one that does not result in a found deer. One should go overnight. Shot placement and multiple days practicing blood trailing are really all that matter.

Now a couple controversial opinions. a) Strongly consider using fixed blade broadheads. I know that expandables work and work well on optimal hits. The evidence supports better penetration with fixed blades on marginal hits. b) The wounding argument is the primary one used by anti-hunting organizations. People posting these threads are seeking advice which is a good thing. But I have not seen followup on any thread where a deer was located. Personally I think these threads only feed the anti hunters. There are other ways to get the information you seek. A general post "Need assistance with a bloodtrail", provide geographical location and then provide details in PM messages with fellow bowsiters. c) Stop watching hunting shows on TV. If real, two hours of blood trailing would be 4 shows. Not going to sell many commercials.

Tekoa

19-Nov-17
The broad head debate isn't controversial, but users definitely need to do their research. I think the arrow, particularly the weight and diameter, are more important to penetration than the broad head used. Also knowing the bows capabilities helps in that choice. Most professional hunters won't shoot an arrow less than 400gr no matter the game hunted, type of bow, or draw weight of the bow. Some prefer heavier than that.

With the broad head choice, a heavy arrow with 70+lbs of draw will have little penetration difference between fixed and mechanical. The 2"+ cutting widths available make them a better choice (better blood trail and more likely to hit vitals) with the right setup. That being said, someone shooting low-mid draw weight and lighter arrow definitely shouldn't use mechanical heads. Again, it's all education that hunters should be researching themselves, and being honest enough with themselves to choose the setup that KILLS the best (not shoots the best) for their bow. A 6" group with twice the penetration is better than a 2" group with half the depth.

19-Nov-17
Both of you have very good points. I agree that novice hunters should have a mentor to help them out. This site is the best resource for that other than a friend or sportsman's club associate. In addition new hunters should offer up if someone needs assistants finding a down deer. Using PM to discuss looking for a missing deer is a good idea to prevent our words being used by the anti hunters. Maybe the question that should be asked by experienced and novice hunters at the pro shop should be will this setup kill? The box stores may not know but where most of us shop the techs are hunters too and know their stuff. Good luck for the rest of the season, shoot straight and wear your harness, be safe! Let's Go

19-Nov-17
It’s all about placement of your shot but I agree that does not always work out I shoot beman 400 arrows with me mechinal broadheads shooting 52 lbs and my last three deer did not go far the first 2 dropped In 20 yards of where they were shot and the last went 40 yards and hurddhim crash I have also had bad luck with me Mechinal broadheads when they first came out would not use them for many years in my eyes it’s about taking the shot that you know you can make but Even if you know you can make the shot sometimes things go wrong but it seems like we as hunters practice more with the bow to be better and I see that less lost deer and more recovered deer keep up the good work

19-Nov-17
It is therapy for a hunter who can’t take his mind elsewhere. Tracking dogs are a grey area. Your are not using them to hunt, only to find the dead deer. I am personally going to try and train my new pup to track if I can.

19-Nov-17
Every bow hunter on this site that has been hunting for 5 or more years has missed or made a marginal shot or not retrieved a deer. It's just the stuff most hunters are ashamed of and don't talk about it. You can be the best shot at all distances at the range. When your adrenaline is going and your heart is in your throat it's a whole new ball game. Unfortunately things aren't always going to go as planned. As far as hunters talking about it I think it's great. As a hunter for 20 years you can consistently learn from others gains and mistakes. Not talking about it so anti hunters don't have a bad outlook seems ridiculous. I believe it helps young rookieand veteran hunters learn and realize they aren't alone.

19-Nov-17
Dahunt, Regardless of what we want to believe hunting is not a right. It is a legal privilege that can be wiped away in one election. Just ask the trappers in Mass. What is ridiculous is to ignore the power of public opinion. This isn't about being concerned with anti hunters bad outlook or feelings. I could care less about how they feel. But I care a lot about what they want to do. I'm not saying to ignore wounding. Just that here are better ways to get the help and assistance you seek than to highlight it in detail on a public forum.

Tekoa

19-Nov-17
I agree with you. It's a shame We have to hide reality of life for fear of the reprocution of public perception. I work for the town so I fully understand that.

19-Nov-17
How about a post called. A little help or anyone around. Then if you need assistance post the zone. If anyone is available PM that person and they can take it from there I agree the seasoned hunters don't need to post because they have already been through just about everything imaginable. It is nice for the new hunters to be able to reach out to a community for assistance. Especially if they don't have anyone to help. Your thoughts on this is appreciated

19-Nov-17
Lot of things contribute to poor shots and wounded deer but in my opinion besides buck fever, the most common thing is that people take shots they shouldn't. IMO if you are proficient shooting at 30 yards at a target, back 10 yds off for a kill. Most average guys don't shoot enough. They throw a few arrows a week at targets and are good to go but that doesn't cut it whe the juices are flowing. The second most important thing as mentioned above is placement. Gotta get it in the boiler room. I shoot decent at 30 yds in my yard but on stand wouldn't take a shot much over 20. Half the fun is letting them close enuff to pull it off!

19-Nov-17
I agree with Tekoa concerning threads about bad hits. Better to ask for help with a PM rather than post a blow by blow. I know new guys are looking for help and direction but anti's use this stuff. Just my opinion.

19-Nov-17
Tekoa, spot on!

Need to post the zone and town, zone 9 goes from New Hampshire to Rhode Island. Zones 10 and 11 are huge! Post the town and some guys might only be 15 to 20 minutes away. Then the PM's start.

Sometimes you need a good blood trailer, sometimes a good tracker. Two different styles of finding deer.

I'd be happy to help anyone near me.

19-Nov-17
You guys are right. Like Muzzy says, Zone and town, then PM. I would add that new guys that don't have experienced blood tracking help reach out before the season to get someone's contact info to help them when they need it. I would gladly help someone out.

20-Nov-17
Really well said guys - GREAT idea! I'm happy to help my Z9-5-6 neighbors...

20-Nov-17
Lot of things contribute to poor shots and wounded deer but in my opinion besides buck fever, the most common thing is that people take shots they shouldn't. IMO if you are proficient shooting at 30 yards at a target, back 10 yds off for a kill.

Proline is spot-on with the above statement. I strongly believe that many (perhaps most) wounded deer scenarios could be eliminated if people would simply take only high percentage shots. Don't shoot at moving deer, don't shoot at quartering to deer, don't shoot beyond your accurate range (your real range, not what your pride thinks it is), don't try to sneak a shot through a 6 inch window in the brush, etc. ect. Sure, you can hit that 6 inch window all day long in your back yard but that's a different situation than hunting. In short, don't take shots you shouldn't take. Most guys on here probably understand all that, some of the newer guys may not.

In those times that you've done everything right and the shot still goes bad ask for help via one of the methods above (keeping details in PM's). I've seen threads where guys ask for advice and then when actual tracking help is offered there's no response or follow up. That right there bugs the crap out of me. Maybe there are some PM's being traded. If that's the case at least come back to the thread and let us know that such and such is helping you out. There are a lot of guys on here that are passionate about hunting but also wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice some of their own time on stand to help someone track a wounded deer. Myself included. Please, take them up on their generosity.

I tried to stay out of this thread because I can tend to rant on this subject. So if I'm doing that it's all Proline's fault for making the above statement :-)

20-Nov-17
I think we should blame Proline for all sorts of things.

• Sitka Gear