Hoot 21-Nov-17
ground hunter 21-Nov-17
Trapper 21-Nov-17
CaptMike 22-Nov-17
larrys 22-Nov-17
ground hunter 22-Nov-17
Trapper 22-Nov-17
19-Nov-17
Not that I've shot any this year but if I do just curious how everybody gets it processed or cooks it up. We usually do summer sausage, hamburger and a few other odds and ends

19-Nov-17
I always process my own deer,,,, am set up for it, and very particular..... I do not eat sausage much, (and now never), but the wife loves it, so I put all my meat, scraps etc, and take it in, to a butcher in March, one that she likes the recipe.... I do not make my own.....

I cut up my deer for roasts, steaks, chops,,,, I waste nothing, and pick it clean,,, favorite part for me, is the heart..... cleaned well, and soaked in salt water over night, than in a marinade for a day.... taken out of fridge, cut razor thin, liquefied in a cast iron pan, with olive oil, and a touch of wine,,,, a dark merlot,,,, in and out quickly, than placed in a home made roll,,,,,, man I love that treat,,,,, I give the liver to my buddy for his sled dogs,,, its a treat, he gets a lot of them.....

20-Nov-17
I also do my own processing, and also send some out to have summer sausage made. I make my own breakfast sausage and hamberger,but my favorite is just plain ole butter,onions a little seasoning, steak,cooked in a cast iron pan over an open fire.

20-Nov-17
I process my own also. Cut just a few steaks, chops and the inside loins are eaten that night. The rest I grind into hamburger and take some scrap down to Hoesly's meat market in New Glarus for Landjaegars.

20-Nov-17
I process my deer and elk venison myself and take the trimmings to Louie's Finer Meats in Cumberland and get delicious burger, breakfast sausage, brats, skin-on wieners, ring bologna, etc. made.

21-Nov-17
Often will do a venison backstrap, cut in thirds, marinated over night and injected with marinade, then cooked in a turkey fryer. Mmm, mmm!

21-Nov-17
I'm not a big fan of roasts so I either slice them very thin and make fajitas or chop them up into tiny pieces and make tacos. My kids like them better than beef when I make them that way.

21-Nov-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
The Sourdough's Joy

21-Nov-17
Captain, Tell more about the deep fried tenderloin. Do you put any sort of rub on the meat, or would it just wash off on submerging the meat? How long do you cook it for? Does the outside get a crust from cooking? Does sound good.

21-Nov-17
Ground Hunter, I hate to be a killjoy, but if you cant eat Summer Sausage any longer you surely shouldn't eat heart. Sorry but I will take off your hands.

I also process my own. Steaks from everything that I can cut one out of. Back straps get cut into 1/3rds just like Mikes. I baste 16-24 hours and then do a reverse sear on them on the grill. MMMMMMMM. Just like Mikes I bet. Trimmings get ground into hamburger, a lot of that burger goes into homemade jerky.

21-Nov-17
We use venison burger to make tacos all the time, it's funny how many times family members that say they can't stand venison have eaten deer tacos at our house and never knew the difference, I always get a chuckle out of that

21-Nov-17
I usually cut up my own but take the chunks somewhere for ground (hoping to get a grinder for Christmas this year)! Really would like to try the heart and saw a recipe for pickled elk tongue fajitas - so might try that with a deer this year.

21-Nov-17
Back straps I cut into 1&1/2" chunks and then turn them grain side up and pound them with a flat meat hammer. Really tenderizes them and fry or grill. Now I'm getting hungry again.

21-Nov-17
No trapper buddy you are wrong,,,, top cardiologist told me, all deer meat is good for me, as well as any wild game, but the sausage, which gets mixed is not,,,,, ha ha... He also told me, "the other white meat" pork is fatty and is really red meat,,,, so I said how about wild boar, he said, you can eat that,,,,,, guess I have some more hunts to go on,,,

as far as the heart goes, have to have some treats,,,,,

21-Nov-17
Awww Ground Hunter, my Cardiologist probably told me that as he maybe wants the heart and liver off of mine when I shoot my next one. He told me ABSOLUTELY NO organs are to be eaten by diabetic/ heart patient. Maybe I need to switch to yours.

22-Nov-17
Sharp, I use one of those meat tenderizers that punch rows of small holes in the meat. Do both sides of each piece of the back strap, then inject marinade into each piece. I then marinade the chunks of meat for at least 3 or 4 hours before frying. Cooking time varies based on size, I just pull one out and check it. Never tried any type of rub so do not really know about that. What I do know is the hot oil sears the surface and the meat comes out very juicy and tastes great.

22-Nov-17
Larry’s (almost famous) VENISON STEW Cut venison into small pieces. Season with Chef Prudhome’s Meat Magic OR Emeril’s Original Essence. or Both. Coat pieces with flour. Brown in large pot/pan with veg oil. While it’s browning, add 1 sweet onion cut into pieces. Microwave one cup of water to boiling, add 3 heaping teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon (grocery store soup section). After meat is browned, stir & add the Bouillon....plus 3 more cups cold water. Cover & simmer 2+ hours (stir every :30). Pour into BIG roaster pan. ( or you can just add to the pot on the stove if large enough) ADD: 6 or 7 cut up potatoes Bag of small carrots OR cut large carrots into small pieces. 4 or 5 stalks cut up celery 1 can diced tomato’s with basil/garlic/oregano 14.5 oz

Cook in oven at 350 for :45 (or simmer on top in pot) ADD: 1 can tomato sauce/seasoned OK 14.5 oz 1 small can white corn 1 small can baby peas About 3-4 cups cup fresh green beans

Cook another 20 minutes, you can thicken with flour or corn starch. If thickened, cook :10 more. Turn oven off & leave in oven until ready to eat.

22-Nov-17
Trapper I see him on the 7th, I will ask him again,,,, ha ha....

22-Nov-17
ground hunter, As he is asking for that venison heart he will probably be asking for you recipes as well. LOL

• Sitka Gear