ground hunter 19-Nov-17
bowhuntndoug 19-Nov-17
Cheif 19-Nov-17
Pete-pec 19-Nov-17
Cheif 19-Nov-17
MrBones 19-Nov-17
Crusader dad 20-Nov-17
19-Nov-17
As a bow hunting site, I still think it's interesting to look at the gun season some. Im glad to report that with the flurry of "gun" activity on this site - No one has tried to bully or down grade someone for posting or talking about a "gun" kill on a bow site as we've seen in the past.

Any who - I know that the last few years I have heard allot less shooting. By me I feel there are plenty of deer. I think people prospective on gun deer hunting has changed in two ways. Now I speak private land here.

(A). More people are waiting for bigger deer and passing smaller deer, thus less shooting.

(B). Less people are moving around during the season - The mindset of not walking around to kick deer off the property is getting more accepted as time goes on.

What do you think as this applies to bowhunting as well I guess. Of course, I don't know about you but I still cannot hear when someone a quarter of a mile away lets loose the string!

19-Nov-17
My partner on the land in Vernon County, heard very little shooting,,, maybe 40 to 50 shots,,,,, he saw a lot of bucks, last week with the bow, but nothing the last few days...... My opinion is that this date of the 18th, them big boys, may have the girls locked up somewhere,,,,,

one reason he did not see deer, is he never left that stand, which is typical,,,, my experience, shows, that few hunters, get out of stands, to really cover any country, and this is land, they own......

He told our neighbor, that if I was there, I would have had my short 308 in hand, and been on foot, and would have shot something,,,, of course I am know trophy hunter, so the first 6 or better I see, I take....

its the same up at my place in the UP.... all sit on their pumpkins,,,, nothing wrong with that, but I cut country up there, never see anyone, unless they are on stand, than I try not to disturb their area, and keep moving....

last year I cut some nice tracks, and off I went,,, I have no care, of where I go, and was on this buck at 10am,,,, 330pm, I knew I was close, and stand sitter shot him, over a hill in front of me,,,,, I helped him with the drag, and he drove me back to my truck, than he invited me to his cabin for dinner....... that is part of the fun...

One of the reasons, my partner left Buffalo County, with other partners, was he was not allowed to ever get out of his stand,,, it was too restricted for him,,, we teamed up, because he said to me, "you seem to have more fun"

19-Nov-17
Around us my dad and I heard 15-20 shots since opening. Most were single shots. Not that many years ago we hear volleys of shots. The change is No one drives deer around us. Many more people are sitting. Some are still in tree stands but we are seeing more shooting houses and ground blinds. I am doing more of that as well. Most guys I know sit in those and if it gets really cold they use little buddy heaters. Most everyone is bow hunting now around us, so gun season is a pretty low key event. We texted each other about the morning hunts on Saturday and texted about getting to a TV for the kickoff of the badger game. Then everyone was texting about going back out at halftime or end of 3rd quarter. Today 3/4 of the guys didn’t go out as it was cold. Even 5 years ago that would not have been an option. Most everyone went out sometime this afternoon unless they had to work tomorrow and drive home. Thursday morning-Sunday guys will be back out. No one will be doing drives since they don’t want to push the deer off their lands. The style has changed at least where I hunt and the importance of getting one with a gun has changed. If someone get a good buck with a bow - people talk but with a gun (whatever). As a bow hunter I like the change, but it is a little different hunting over fields of feeding deer during gun season because the deer are so relaxed they stay in their normal patterns.

19-Nov-17
I left for the Army 20 years ago, you could hardly shoot a deer then if you weren't driving woods, I came back this year and gun hunting sucks, I'm thinking about giving it up and going bow hunting only. I never liked driving woods anyway no really pride in making a deer run into a hail of gunfire. But there's something to be said about fooling him at his own game.

19-Nov-17
Pat, it's because this group is better than in the past. I thought the same thing about the lack of degrading comments, but ultimately I think the group has changed. It cares a lot less about being so damn right all the time, but instead, looks away. Like we all should do more often on all of life's differences lol.

19-Nov-17
Well played sir

19-Nov-17
When I was growing up and hunting season came around. I couldn't wait to be in the woods. Starting out, I was under my dads watch. As I grew, I became more independent. My buddies and I would bow hunt in the morning. Grab our guns and small game hunt the late mornings and early afternoons, then back in the stands for the evening. I see very few kids in the woods these days. I like to still hunt with the rifle. But as I/ we get older there is a lot less. The average age may have something to do with it.

20-Nov-17
I don't mind seeing the gun threads once a year. I don't have any real desire to kill with a gun but I sure have fond memories of my beginnings and enjoy seeing the success of the other members on here.

• Sitka Gear