Will 19-Nov-17
sittingintree 19-Nov-17
sittingintree 19-Nov-17
mrw 19-Nov-17
Pi 20-Nov-17
19-Nov-17

sittingintree's embedded Photo
I have never posted here before but figured I'd share an interesting recovery from Saturday. I had a nice 8pt come in to about 30 yds broadside in one of the lanes I had cut. I took the shot, looked perfect. He ran about ten yards than just started walking, then banged a hard right coming back into one of my longer lanes. I quickly notched another arrow and bleated out when he was in the shooting lane. I could see the blood from my first shot just behind his front leg, but figured , hit him again just in case. Let it go, and sure enough heard the "thwack" of another hit. Watched him walk away ...not run. I shot him at 6:50 am but figured I had all day so waited until noon. 5 hours should be fine....wrong. I followed a great blood trail for 100yds then he bedded down. He must have plugged up because there was no blood trail leaving the bed. I started doing circles and found blood about 20 yds away, very spotty. I got really low to the ground and literally had my hands on the ground when I looked up and saw movement. The buck was bedded down 10 yds in front of me ,still alive . His head was up and he was looking right at me. HOLY CRAP! Take another shot ? Maybe, but not an option, i left my bow at the truck ,I figured it's been 5 hours it was a good shot.It probably wouldnt have mattered he was in some seriously thick stuff probably couldn't get an arrow in there. I slowly backed out and miraculously he didn't move. I called a friend with more experience to see what I should do . Without hesitation he says let him sit for a few more hours ,if he's there when you get back , he'll be dead. If he didn't move when you were that close he's probably doesn't have the energy to move. I went back at 4pm, right to the spot (this time arrow notched bow in hand) and there he lay, dead. What I took away from this; always have your bow ready on a recovery, and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

19-Nov-17

pic of shot placement, seemed pretty good, 2nd shot was further back and low you can kind of make it out in pic. Unfortunately 2nd shot emptied stomach contents inside body cavity and it was a messy field dressing otherwise I would have spent more time seeing what i hit internally.

19-Nov-17
Just curious what are you shooting for broadheads?

19-Nov-17
What are you shooting for arrows? Did you get a pass through shot both times?

19-Nov-17
Pretty sure I saw a pic of you and your deer on BBH? Correct? Great buck man! Amazing story on the recovery - Goes to show, that they are super tough animals, and that some times, things that look perfect for some wierd reason, occasionally may not be.

Congrats on the great deer man! Thanks for posting!

19-Nov-17
thanks, I'm shooting slick trick magnums. Both shots were pass thru. I'm thinking first shot got one lung, it came out lower on other side. 2nd shot was real low and back . The combination accounted for a lot of blood loss. When I opened him up the cavity was full.

19-Nov-17
Yah I joined BBH, my teenager says I need to get up with the times

19-Nov-17
Nice buck, thanks for sharing.

20-Nov-17
Well done and good story . Thanks .

• Sitka Gear