FeetDown 23-Nov-17
awalk228 23-Nov-17
Pi 23-Nov-17
FeetDown 23-Nov-17
Will 23-Nov-17
mrw 23-Nov-17
19-Nov-17
https://youtu.be/ofDKcyhqjdA

I had the biggest buck of my life at three yards this morning and couldn't get a shot. The video above is trail cam footage of him from last Friday about 500 yards away from the tree I was in today.

It was about 9:45 am and the woods were completely silent, save for a few birds flitting around. Beautiful day and I was downright comfortable in my climber enjoying the morning. I hear a squirrel behind me, but after a couple of seconds I realizing those aren't hops but the unmistakable sound of a cruising buck coming right at me. I can't help but twist to look over my right shoulder and I saw him coming down the trail, swaying his head at times to maneuver his rack around small trees. My jaw dropped.

He was only 30 yards or so behind me and closing fast. At about 20 yards he stopped to thrash some low hanging branches. I'll never forget him stooping down and stretching to get under these branches, then suddenly look upwards and just tear the limbs apart. This lasts a few seconds and he's headed right for me again.

The trail swings around to the left of my stand about five yards and he's following it. As quietly as I can, I turn back around and get ready for him to step out below me and just off to my left. I think to myself "Don't let him stop. Don't let him smell me (no wind). Don't let him catch my scent at the base of the tree from when I set up my climber this morning..."

No sooner did I finish the thought he stopped. Three yards behind me. I can sense he knows something isn't right as I recall hearing nervous footsteps in place. Well I hear him spin around and slowly jog back the way he came from and think "Oh no! Well it's now or never..." so I stand up and spin around in my stand to try to get a shot before he's gone. Well he hears boots on metal platform and takes off.

This is Texas, not too far from Dallas. I moved back here from Massachusetts a couple of years ago, but had to tell you guys because I know you'll understand this experience better than folks down here based on the way we hunt. Public, climber, mobile following sign, no feeders, any public deer is a trophy type stuff. A far cry from the leases, feeder pens, and antler obsession characteristic of the culture here. I've waited my whole life for a buck like this and in an instant he slipped through my fingers.

These woods will be overrun over Thanksgiving weekend and I'm certain he will be shot. This sucks but you bet I'll be there hoping I'm the one to do it. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!

19-Nov-17
Great story Feetdown! I'm pulling for you, go getum!

20-Nov-17
Yep , Thanks FeetDown . Long distance relationship , works for me ! And ,We get it . Keep at it and don't forget your roots .

20-Nov-17
Wow... that's a beautiful buck, FD. I hope you're the one who ends up getting him.

23-Nov-17

FeetDown's embedded Photo
Redemption :)

Not the same buck from last weekend, but I'm very thankful to have had the opportunity to bag this one. Feels so good! Watched him come in from 60 yards surprisingly straight downwind of me, and took the shot at 15 yards broadside. Public land creek bottom at 1:30pm yesterday during what was planned as an all day sit. Gotta love the rut!

23-Nov-17
Nice work feetdown! You're right. Anything public down there is a trophy for sure. I'm heading to kerrville to my parents place late December for some deer action and I can't wait.

23-Nov-17
Congrats Mass-Tex Man. Well done !

23-Nov-17
Thanks fellas, and good luck to you awalk. Pi you're cracking me up with "long distance relationship" and "Mass-Tex Man." I'm just glad you all haven't run me off this forum yet, it's such a good crowd here and always reminds me of how much I loved fall in MA.

PS, someone here coined the term "tree surfing" for when your tree is swaying in the wind, and I recently heard someone call it the "tree rodeo" here lol. Hunters are clever wherever we are!

23-Nov-17
Awesome bookend to that story! Well done!

23-Nov-17
Nice buck, and great story!

• Sitka Gear