RattlinRack 20-Nov-17
KSBOW 20-Nov-17
writer 20-Nov-17
One Arrow 20-Nov-17
One Arrow 20-Nov-17
Charlie Rehor 23-Nov-17
The last savage 23-Nov-17
20-Nov-17
First year bowhunter, hunting public land from the ground. I've been seeing deer on each sit. So far, they've either been yearlings that I've passed or they have managed to stay just where I can't get a clean shot.

Each time I go out, I've been hearing turkeys nearby. My wife suggested maybe I should get a turkey permit to have in my pocket too. Ultimately, I decided not too - they seem a bit expensive and I thought it might distract me from my primary goal: a deer. So of course, yesterday morning as the woods began to come alive, I realize I'm set up right underneath a big roosting area. For two solid hours I had dozens (felt like hundreds) of turkeys making the most racket all around me. Stomping through the dry leaves like clumsy hunters and yelping like there's no tomorrow.

I hadn't seen a single deer until, when finally around 10:00, the turkeys began to meander away. A small buck came from my right, and worked his way in front of me angling away and to the left. I thought he would come through the openings I had to shoot, but angled slightly away behind some vegetation. When he was nearly out of sight, I grunted and sure enough, he paused, turned around and started coming back. This time he was on a trajectory that would take him walking broadside 25 yds away across my shooting openings. I got my body turned, my bow up, was preparing to draw......when along came a couple more turkeys. They were startled by the buck, began flapping and squawking up a storm. The buck turned and high-tailed it outta there.

At first, I thought I'd chalk this up to bad luck, but then I thought, maybe I need to learn a lesson from this. I didn't see deer until most of the turkeys had finally cleared out and quieted down. And when I did see a deer, it was easily scared off by the confrontation with the turkeys. So, are deer afraid of turkeys? And do deer avoid moving through areas where turkeys are making a hell of a racket? Maybe they realize it will be tough to detect a predator between all the leaf parading and yelping? Perhaps I need to make sure I'm set up further away from this area when I'm hunting deer.

20-Nov-17
No, they are not scared of turkeys, often see them together. They do watch the turkeys, react to threats or predators when the turkeys react to something.

20-Nov-17
what part of ks are you hunting have not had much luck up here in NE kansas

20-Nov-17
The turkeys were all over me all morning without spooking. They definitely reacted to the buck when he crossed their path. And he did not care for it at all when they came at him aggressively.

I'm hunting Cheney wildlife area, to be specific. I've been seeing a few deer every sit, but most have been very young, or have managed to keep some bushes between us. I guess a tree stand would help. In the mornings, I've been seeing the most movement between 930 and 1030.

20-Nov-17
well someone set up a stand where i been going but havent seen them everytime ive went so i been sitting in it since its public land

20-Nov-17
It seems to me that deer don't like the noise that turkeys create, or maybe its just me. I had a bunch roosted within 50-100 yards on Sunday morning and drove me crazy. Don't see as many deer when this happens, alway figure deer don't like being able to hear as well but who knows may just be that they drive me nuts and have hard time getting my focus off he racket they create!

20-Nov-17
Yesterday morning I was showing a friend’s daughter where she can bowhunt on land I manage.

About 100 turkeys were doing their normal fly down chase around when a small 8 point buck came walking down the farm road. Two of the strutting toms moved over and chased him off. First time I’ve seen it, though. The noise can bother them, but most days hey share the same fields.

20-Nov-17
I may be in the minority here, but I think they enjoy each other’s company. I have seen many mature does and bucks hang tight to a flock of turkeys and I’ve seen fawns chase them around, with the turkeys only somewhat annoyed by their playful behavior.

Turkeys are dumb, deer are smart and know that turkeys eyes are great to have around.

One of my most memorable hunts was when I had a small flock of Toms, a mature doe with fawns, and a mature buck all come by within bow range on the same sit... felt like I conquered the woods that day.

20-Nov-17
I will also add that it more than likely depends on the size of the flock. I’ve seen flocks of over 200 turkeys before... doubt the deer would like that.

Usually when I see deer with them it’s with a small group of Toms.

23-Nov-17
Every timebIbsee prey animals and birds in each other’s company it amazes me how they know either is not a threat to the other. One of the 100’s if cool things you witness as a “bow” hunter.

23-Nov-17
Once I watched a small flock of Turkey's mingle around several does in a field ,one turkey was feeding along and almost walked under a doe,,she jumped sideways,,if she hadn't. Turkey I'm sure would have went right under otherwise,,,

• Sitka Gear