retro 23-Nov-17
CaptMike 23-Nov-17
happygolucky 23-Nov-17
CaptMike 23-Nov-17
retro 23-Nov-17
CaptMike 23-Nov-17
retro 23-Nov-17
20-Nov-17
Probably because license sales were down again.

20-Nov-17
I'd hate to say, but I'm going to anyway. I'm of the opinion that some people may have skipped purchasing a license. If you look at the whole picture, it just makes it easier for people to get away with hunting illegally.

20-Nov-17
Walkers fault for sure.

20-Nov-17
Trump's fault even more so i'm sure

20-Nov-17
What do you think about harvest numbers? Im guessing they will be up.

20-Nov-17
Strange, this morning on the local radio station they reported the license sale numbers.

20-Nov-17
WEAU channel 13 in Eau Claire had the #'s on Sunday night's news. Only 485,000+ gun season licenses sold this year. I gave up on gun season because of the hugely decreased deer #'s in the Blue Hills over the past 10 years.

20-Nov-17
Sidekick - If you're referring to the Blue Hills up by Birchwood it is sad.

20-Nov-17
I'm guessing many people will not call in their kill so #s will be way down.

20-Nov-17
The days of 600,000 deer hunters hitting the woods (although advertised), is long gone,,,,,,,,

20-Nov-17
RJN, why do you think people will subject themselves to fines and tickets, just because of a procedural change?

20-Nov-17
Capt- Why? Because poachers now don't have to tag a deer or simply won't call in. It's a poachers dream come true. My guess is more hunters are thinking every step after killing a deer has been eliminated, so why bother.

20-Nov-17
That on top of no back tag required. Guessing there are some that are dumb enough to skip the license but I doubt it is enough to be statistically significantly.

20-Nov-17
RJN, if they were poachers before I have no reason to believe that anything will change with them. I also have no reason to believe that this change in reporting is going to manufacture more poachers.

I would guess that if this change in reporting made more poachers, there would be evidence of that from the many other states that have call-in or no reporting.

20-Nov-17
I agree with both of RJN's posts

21-Nov-17
Wisconsin has now become a "Poachers Dream" as it now allows for "anything goes". Recently I spoke to a rather disgruntled warden who will remain anonymous . He/She related that it's almost pointless checking anyone anymore. Someone who is violating.... if they know what to say and when to say it - a law person is dead in the water before they start.

Now hunters can sit all night in their stands calling deer until they shoot - warden can do nothing. Let's watch and see how many citations are issued for this at the end of the year - "O".

Our laws have become so relaxed in recent times the thought of keeping honest folks honest, well that's pretty much out the window.

This further ties the hands of our law enforcement personnel and makes their job even harder to accomplish.

Let not forget during the camping season our Warden are now patrolling the State Parks as they are sending the Park Rangers...down the road!

That's good, because our wardens were not busy enough!

Sad!

I cant blame everyone of them too just drive around, wave and smile and keep on going - because it's now a joke. I can feel the frustration.

21-Nov-17
Wisconsin deer hunting has turned into a complete circus. Sad about covers it Bloodtrail.

21-Nov-17
Has turned into?

Lol what was it 20- 30 years ago?

I feel the hunting is better now and for the most part the hunters that remain are of higher quality.

21-Nov-17
The changes to deer hunting over the last 30 years are pretty evident. If you honestly think that the changes made were for the good of the resource and not about politics..... money...... and greed....... than we simply disagree......

21-Nov-17
There is a flip side to that BT, and I spoke to some young wardens this summer, about it, and I know one who has made a lot of arrests, that he normally would not have made.....n I said think about this,,,,, with the old system, you would see a back tag on a hunter, and drive by, or a tag on a deer and drive by, so you would just spot check.....

Now you have nothing to go on, so like stop and frisk, our tactical unit use to do, you can check everyone, to see if they comply. a lot more work, but hey that's what your being paid to do. On top of that, the hunter has till 5pm the next day to register,,,, sooo, you simply keep your notes in your tablet or what not, and by 530pm the next day, check those numbers, if they are not in, out goes the tag......

Now he is finding more warrants, more dope, more underage drinking, more weapon violations, and surprise surprise, more deer not registered,,,,, they can simply explain in court,,,,,, that is how you handle that........

Most are in compliance, but now more checks are being done,,,,, it is up to the warden, to decided how much he wants to do, but no shortage of work

as far as them handling the state parks, that is really a dumb idea,,,,,,,,

21-Nov-17
Tweed, +1

21-Nov-17
I assume that feeder was loaded "over baiting" corn, if that was the case that stand or area, you should not be able to hunt it for 10 consecutive days. Maybe there was no feed in the auto feeder. Interesting

21-Nov-17
Wow, what the heck is that dad teaching his kid?

21-Nov-17
Yes...once it is cleaned up it cannot be hunted over for 10 days, same with over baiting on a bear bait.

21-Nov-17
Often in a case like this where there is multiple citation's that will be given out will be done later. I am sure the Warden will put everything together (one package) and mail them to them. It still doesn't make sense is to why they are allowed to continue to hunt over that spot. Why do you call that warden as a concerned citizen and ask him why. Fill us in on the details

21-Nov-17
Its illegal to use for baiting deer purposes but nothing says you cant sell them.

21-Nov-17
Ground Hunter Sez:

"Now you have nothing to go on, so like stop and frisk, our tactical unit use to do, you can check everyone, to see if they comply. a lot more work, but hey that's what your being paid to do."

First, what does "stop and frisk" have to do with checking deer hunters? It didn't matter whether they had a back tag and a carcass tag years ago , you stopped and checked...."Was it their back tag" "Was it their friends license" - Just because they displayed it didn't mean by any stretch it belonged to them.

There is nothing that prohibits a field warden from approaching someone and asking to see a license. In a group of 15 hunters standing around after a deer drive - who do you check ground hunter? Nobody has to wear a back tag. Your (warden)(s) not even sure some of them were on the drive!

Shall we put them all in a line and ask that all folks hunting... take one step forward? "NOW", produce a drivers license so I can individually run each of you on my computer - to see if you have a license"... Really?

And what about the buck in the back of the truck with these guys you just encountered? The buck looks "aged" to the warden and he asks if it (deer) was registered and who's it was and when it was shot.

Here learns it's "Billy Bob's" whom is in town "we" guess and he shot it that morning. Well that's an obvious LIE - it looks like 3-4 days earlier, but since you don't have a validation tag - how do you know? How do you know IF it even belongs to "Billy Bob"? There's no tag on it. Doesn't need to be tagged anymore.

Are you going to seize the deer and wait for "Billy Bob" to show up? Because that is going to be a really long wait. What about the next group of hunters, seize a deer there as well, cause they have a deer with the hunter who shot it missing in action as well?

Now the warden stops at my cabin and says "Pat...Nice bucks" hanging there, who do they belong too. (The warden doesn't know I shot both of them).

I tell him the one on the right (biggest) is mine and the other belongs to a guy in town. Warden asks for his name and I say "I think it's Mike something...ah...ah" "Mike Trump", that's it...that's Mike's deer and this one here is mine." "Mike didn't have a spot to hang his deer so I let him hang it here." Asking if I registered my buck, well of course I did"... I tell the Warden. He checks...sure enough. " Warden asked about the second buck and I tell him to check with Mike Trump, I don't know anything about it".

When the Warden asks me for information on Mike Trump, I know nothing about the guy other than meeting him in the taverns from time to time. Of course he's a nice fellow this Mike Trump, but he comes and goes.

When the Warden leaves, I grab both deer and go. Unless I get stopped and then make up another BS story about that being my sons deer, just shot blah, blah, blah, blah (he has an open tag deer license) I'm home free with an extra deer.

And all this time our wardens are getting more warrants, more drugs and more underage drinkers. (Don't we hire Deputy Sheriff's to do all that?)

I don't know about you guys, but I like to see our Wardens enforcing fish and game laws instead of drug and alcohol enforcerment.

Just my spin!

21-Nov-17
Here's another senerio -

My 15 year old son and buddy are with me and we just finished loading our deer into the cargo area of my "Ranger". Warden stops and admires our kill. I tell them that I along with my son killed these two "here" and my buddy says he killed this one, as he points to a big 13 point buck.

We all have licenses and the warden drives off and says "have a nice day - remember to register those deer" - "you bet we will" (Just not under our tags - I say under my breathe).

We drive home and get there 2.5 hours later. I call my brother-in-law who doesn't even hunt. My sister and her husband come over and then with their tags they purchased register the deer me and my son just shot. It goes in the "Meat Coffers" as next weekend....The kid and I are going back into the woods with our unused tags.

Makes good sense to me...NOT.

21-Nov-17
Bad seeds will be bad seeds. These changes haven't created poachers, but they have made it easier for the good guys. I was stopped my 2 wardens packing up my truck Sunday afternoon. We shot the chit about bear and wolves and deer. The last thing they asked for was my drivers license. They scanned it on their phone, and away I went. Nice guys, and I thanked them for what they do.

21-Nov-17
According to some, it is only making the wardens job easier that matters. To hell with the honest hunter, we can burden him with more rules and regs.

21-Nov-17
Geez, a crusty old cop thinks everyone is trying to pull a fast one. Might be time to retire.

21-Nov-17
Some people would like Wisconsins resources to be protected as best possible, and are willing to endure this so called "burden" in order for that to happen.

21-Nov-17
We pay tax dollars and spend monies that create the jobs that wardens perform. That is enough of a burden.

But, if there are resources that are endangered because of these rules, by all means list them for us. None of us are that selfish that we would not endure more burden if anyone could prove to us that resources are suffering.

I am all ears to hear some compelling, factual argument. Can someone please help Retro with this?

21-Nov-17
Common sense dictates - It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out the "fall out" of liberal restrictions on game laws. Game laws...what game laws?

We will never know the FULL extent of the damage done, simply because dishonest people and criminals don't like to advertise their crimes. Basing it on those that are caught - it will be few and far between as we now have made Wisconsin a "Poachers Paradise".

Backing our Warden staff is much more than the "burden" of writing a check and paying your taxes..

They (wardens) need laws with teeth and laws that help weed out the culprits - not laws that make it way so easy to violate and compromise our Natural Resources when it comes to deer hunting.

21-Nov-17
Kevin@Wisconsin:

The only thing crusty around here is your sense of humor, or lack thereof!

Instead of adding anything positive to the discussion you decide it's time for a little name calling? Nice job!

I believe that the large majority of our society is law abiding and righteous in their belief(s) of doing good and doing the right thing for the right reason(s).

That in part contributes to our policing in our society and how it is able to work and many times be as efficient as it actually is. It's due to the citizens who obey the laws, help police and get behind anti-crime movements and such.

So Kevin, your wrong. I don't believe everyone will violate. Some people still believe in what's right and what's wrong. It's those that for whatever reason do not feel the law applies to them and those that are "fence sitters" - honest people, no longer being kept honest.

22-Nov-17
Funny Capt Mike, I dont consider money spent protecting Wisc resources to be a burden. I consider having game wardens as money well spent. Wisc has enough hunters that even if a minority of them are law breakers, its still enough to have an impact on the resource, especially in the north where deer numbers are much lower than in the south.....

22-Nov-17
Prtotecting them from what specifically? All I ask for is for examples. None given to this point.

22-Nov-17
Hunting after hours, Hunting out of season, over bagging, illegal a.t.v. use, illegal feeding and baiting, destruction of property, shooting from vehicles, shooting from roads, littering, tresspassing, are just a few that come to mind. Nothing important.....

22-Nov-17
You need to work on your comprehension. I did not ask for a list of possible violations. I am still waiting for you to provide specific examples of how additional burdens on the legal hunter is negatively impacting the resource.

22-Nov-17
People that break the law will keep doing it, people that have ethics and morals won't that's the way its always been and most likely always will be

22-Nov-17
Bloodtrail explained it quite well above."

"They (wardens) need laws with teeth and laws that help weed out the culprits - not laws that make it way so easy to violate and compromise our Natural Resources when it comes to deer hunting. " The whole "burden" thing with getting checked by a warden is laughable. Of course everyone is a victim nowadays, so that mentality fits in perfectly with todays society.

If you ever get checked by a warden in the field, I sincerely hope it doesnt scar you for life. Hopefully you'll be able to dig deep and somehow carry on.....

22-Nov-17
Retro, thanks for another great example of your inability to read and comprehend. Getting checked by a warden is a burden? If you were not so blatantly ignorant, it would be laughable.

22-Nov-17
"Wardens need laws with teeth"

So they take away registration and tagging requirements? Yeah that makes sense.

22-Nov-17
According to you, laws and enforcement are all burdens to the legal hunter. Your a real pill.....

22-Nov-17
Agree with rutn

22-Nov-17
Retro, where/how did you come to that conclusion from anything I've said/typed?

22-Nov-17
Retro you fool, the law provides for maximum penalties for the various laws. The "teeth" needs to come from judges who will apply those maximums. I will gladly be your smart pill.

23-Nov-17
Rut, Comment wasnt directed to you....

23-Nov-17
It starts in the field with laws that dont hinder the wardens ability to do their job. Anyone with common sense gets that.

23-Nov-17
This was not a beginners discussion. No mention of where it starts. The discussion was regarding tagging and registration procedures. Again, a lack of comprehension.

23-Nov-17
"If you were not so blatantly ignorant, it would be laughable. "

"Retro you fool"

WOW, I see the Captain is in his normal attack mode with his normal childish name calling because someone dared to have a different opinion than him. 99% of the people can carry on an adult conversation here and then there is the Captain.

Good points being made here on both sides.

23-Nov-17
Happy, toughen up. That you confuse "attack" with fact only shows your thinly veiled attempt to attack me. Have a great Thanksgiving!

23-Nov-17
Happy, Its all good. I find it amusing to irritate Capt Clueless. :>)

23-Nov-17
Retro, while it is mildly irritating, ignorance like yours seems to be much more commonplace now. You are a great example of the "dumbing down" that has infected this country.

23-Nov-17
"Ignorance" being defined as anyone who has a different opinion than yours. That makes you a tool.........

• Sitka Gear