Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
SalvoKing 21-Nov-17
mrw 21-Nov-17
Will 21-Nov-17
Proline 21-Nov-17
SalvoKing 21-Nov-17
21-Nov-17
I saw a monster tending two does Sunday at 3pm. Question is where to hang the stand to get a shot? I saw them on high ground, then when they saw me on a walking trail the slowly walked toward the swamp. I hunted the swamp edge yesterday morning had a spike walk by no shot. Do I move my climber up to higher ground for this afternoons hunt? Or keep the stand where it is. Maybe move it to better wind advantage? Please advise.

21-Nov-17
15-20 yards downwind of the trail they took between the swamp and the high ground. Be careful though, because bucks like to travel downwind of doe trails.

Most importantly don't leave any scent on the trail they might cross, and don''t make any noise getting in - go slow!

Oh, and don't listen to me, I haven't shot a buck yet this year.

21-Nov-17
This is a guesstimate... but where do you think they came from to get where they were... I'd err that way.

The monkey wrench here though is this: he was tending a doe. When that happens, at least when I've seen it, they are all over the place with no real rhyme or reason, just going willy nilly through the woods.

My gut still says err towards where you think they came from to get where you saw them... but I think it's important to remember this is a bit of a "crap shoot".

Ill be interested to see what others say on this.

21-Nov-17
Give it a shot but if he was tending 2 days ago he could have completed his mission and be 3 miles away onto the next one. If it were me and since you said you would be hunting in the afternoon I would probably hunt low as the thermals flow high to low in the PM. I think there is also supposed to be decently heavy wind this afternoon and I always want to be near low thickets in strong winds.

21-Nov-17
Great points. Issue also is that wind is blowing into the swamp and I think afternoons you should hunt and wind coming out of the swamp. Idk. I may be over thinking it all.

• Sitka Gear