spike78 22-Nov-17
Bowhunter7 22-Nov-17
Belchertown Bowman 22-Nov-17
arch2112 22-Nov-17
Belchertown Bowman 22-Nov-17
spike78 22-Nov-17
Pi 22-Nov-17
21-Nov-17
OK, so I have a question for you Blackhorn 209 guys. I've read some guys saying that they needed to get a new breech plug in order to use 209. Has anyone used this stuff in a TC Omega? Would I need a new breech plug for the Omega or is the original plug OK?

21-Nov-17

arch2112's Link

21-Nov-17
I would try it and see what happens. Iv'e been using it in 2 0f my three muzzleloaders for 5 yrs now. #1 is a TC Encore 50cal. Prints 1" or better groups off the bench at 100 yds. the other is a knight Master hunter disc extreme. Either gun shoots this powder well. Its so much better than nitrocellulose based powders like triple seven. Almost no fouling or residue. And you can shoot 50 rounds or so without having to swab the barrel. Plus you clean the gun with standard gun cleaning solvents...Not Water

21-Nov-17
Yes I bought a 209 breech plug for my CVA Accura. I believe they all come with standard plug. I got mine on EBay.

21-Nov-17
In my opinion best powder on market

21-Nov-17
I agree 100p/cent bowhunter7

21-Nov-17
Love it easy to clean powerful 100 grains all you need never ever had it not fire

21-Nov-17
Timely post....... Cabelas does not have it. Where are you guys purchasing? I'm in Central Mass. Pete

21-Nov-17
I buy mine bobs gun and archery. Webster ma!! Awesome guy. Great shop tell him powder coat Kurt sent you. He will ship it to you. Also can message him on facebook

21-Nov-17
Bob's.... I have not been there yet but have been meaning to go. I am afraid though. He sells guns and bows. And now I just learned he sells black powder stuff. This is not good. I have an 8:30 appointment in Worcester tomorrow,then I am killing time until I go into the woods around noon. Uggh... what to do.

21-Nov-17
Lol. Go there. Tell him I sent you !!!! Great guy. You will go right by my hunting spot too. On 395 lol

21-Nov-17
209 vs. 777?? I've got a T/C omega that absolutely loves 110 gr. of loose 777 with either 250 gr. Barnes or 300 gr. Hornady sst bullets. Clean up is a breeze and ot can be shot 10 times between cleanings easily. How much better is the 209?

21-Nov-17
209 is night and day difference.

21-Nov-17
2 -777 pellets with the 209 primer and it works perfectly every time. just 2 different days . I kill em with one shot and clean it later. No problem.

22-Nov-17
Bought some at Bass Pro this week. They had several on the shelf.

Tekoa

22-Nov-17
I always leave my gun with loaded without cap all year after season and it fires the following year no problem.

22-Nov-17
Me too spike

22-Nov-17
2 pellets of 777 cartridges and a CCI 209 primer in my TC Bone Collector edition 50 cal muzzleloader. It loves it. Fires great and has a great punch. Kick back not bad. So happy I bought it. My buddy uses the same setup on his CVA.

22-Nov-17
There isn't a huge difference in performance between the two.The deer won't know the difference in typical MA hunting distances. Cleaning and maintenance is better with BH209. Preseason shooting and during the season , you don't have to clean. The gun will probably shoot better dirty. Last day of the season, empty the barrel, clean and put away. Use standard gun cleaning products. Your breech will be easier to remove and clean as well.

22-Nov-17
Stopped by Bob's. Really nice and helpful. Picked up some powder. God, new bows are really pretty. Cams are huge on these modern bows. I had to get out of there asap.

22-Nov-17
I had wondered if unfired powder ( well those modern pellets I use on my CVA ) could be left in the gun all season (leave the gun loaded) or would they be corrosive and you should not leave it loaded for 2 months ( I am using it shotgun season too). So it sounds like I can leave it loaded,..

Thanks guys,..

This spring I will explore these fancy powder and cap variants you folks talk about. I will say though,. even with the stock stuff the CVA Optima is crazy accurate compared to my old round ball BP rifle I used to shot. I can hit within 3 inches at a 100 yards,.. with little practice after the scope was sighted in,.. With the old round ball you would not even try a hundred yard shot,.. well at least not me,.. LOL

I can't wait till 6 years goes by so I can buy one of them new fangled bows used,. LOL Um that is not a joke,.. :)

22-Nov-17
You can leave the charge in the gun for extended periods of time. Some powders, especially black powder are hydroscopic, meaning they soak up moisture. It's rare but the charge might not ignite. Why chance it on a big buck? Doesn't cost that much. Also, the powder itself isn't corrosive but any water it may soak up isn't good for your chamber. I always blow out the charge at the end of the season and give the gun a good cleaning. I either use smokeless (requires special gun) or BH209.

22-Nov-17
Arch, I don’t use last years charge on a deer I bring it to the range and fire that and others right before the season. My old school loader used to misfire all the time but haven’t had it yet on the modern gun.

22-Nov-17
Ya Pete love the new bow tech I just ordered it :)

22-Nov-17
OMG the Bowtech Reign 6 is 1100 dollars!,.. falls off couch clutching at chest,..

Where are my pills!

22-Nov-17
I had a misfire where I hunted in the snow as the weather was turning warm. Everything was melting. As I pass through some pines I got a ton of wet sloppy snow dumped on me. Some got into my barrel but ran out quickly. Unprimed the gun and used the ramrod to make sure there wasn't any obstructions. Re prime and hunt. Later on a doe appears. Aim and pull the trigger and nothing. Primer went off but power was wet. Went home later that night and cleaned the gun thoroughly. My guns wear condoms now. Just a balloon or electrical tape to cover the muzzle. Doesn't matter what I use, I blow off the charge at the end of every two or three hunts. I want a fresh charge and primer.

22-Nov-17
Back with my old style round ball gun an experienced hunter told me cover the entire breach trigger area in saran wrap same with end of barrel,.. When ready to fire just pull the trigger back tearing right through the saran wrap and shot right though it at the end of the barrel... he said in BP season you will walk through lots of snow covered stuff and you dont want anything getting wet.

I always did that, never had an issue,.. I am not sure if I will do that with new CVA or not.

22-Nov-17
I usually wrap food plastic wrap around my barrel muzzle and put a rubber band or tape it.

22-Nov-17
Yep, keep your powda dry boys. the locking breach is tight and no moisture gets through. Top end is good to cover on wet days but the sabot is tight and will not likely pass moisture. Still cover your open end with something ,to be safe.

I have also left a charge for months maybe 6 and it fired perfectly . 2 pellet 777's and a 209 in a Thompson Omega. I had more corrosion/ rust from it sitting in a hall closet one year. Clean it good before putting it away and oil it . Swab /Clean again to remove oil at new season and blast out a primer. Now load.

That's my method and it works for me. Do the same thing every time when you find a good routine.

• Sitka Gear