Inmyelement 23-Nov-17
ground hunter 23-Nov-17
Tweed 23-Nov-17
ground hunter 23-Nov-17
Tweed 24-Nov-17
ground hunter 24-Nov-17
BW 24-Nov-17
22-Nov-17
Does a man need a house , or is a cabin what a man needs ? If your hunting from a cabin post a few pictures. In my mind hunting from a tent or a cabin is the way to do it .

22-Nov-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Nice and cozy
Tweed's embedded Photo
Nice and cozy
Old painters tarp is the way to go.

22-Nov-17
Tweed, I got a tent for you

22-Nov-17
For me it would be a house. I want home to be where my hunting is done. Reason being I hate being away from my wife and kids, and dogs. I love my family and home life and want to be there every night after each hunt. As it is now I hunt 1.5 hour from home and either pull the camper down. Or stay at a relatives.

22-Nov-17
I will stay wherever I need to in order to do the hunt I want to do.

23-Nov-17
Tweed wins. I wouldn't stay in that thing unless the low temp was 50 or above. I love my family just like you Rut but I see them every day so I also love to get away from them for a few days. For me it would be a cabin.

23-Nov-17
I deer hunt out my back door and am quite fond of it. Makes it much easier to sneak in a few hours here and there that otherwise i wouldn't be able to do. I sometimes miss the cabin thing but hunting my backyard makes it easier to have hunting be a year round activity which I believe is important for raising kids that are active in the outdoors. Have a wall tent for small game hunting trips but had no trouble transitioning to hunting from the house.

23-Nov-17
I can walk out of my house and hunt,,,,, I am surrounded by the state forest, state land, farmers who let you hunt, and MMSD land, they are buying more, to protect the water sheds, that are in the north end.......

With that said, I love my cabin,,,,, to me, getting away, trapping and tramping, is what keeps me happy,,,,,, when I am not hunting, there is always stuff to do,,,, and I have the entire Ottawa National Forest and thousands of acres of county land, to go roam

I also like to camp,,,,, I have some remote spots, via canoe etc, that are just the best places in the UP, to catch big bluegills,

of course, I have the time to do it,,, and that makes a difference

23-Nov-17
I would love to build a rough trappers cabin but the zoning pretty much requires a house so I'm stuck just camping (which I love) for the foreseeable future.

The idea of hunting out your back door is great but I love the idea of a get away even more.

23-Nov-17
Tweed, if you can get the time off, you come to the UP, with me,,,, I am close enough to the Wis border, you can hunt over there with your license,,,,, or go tramping in the spring, I will show you some pretty neat stuff.........

In the UP, there are "cabins of the Ottwa", these are hunting camps, that were allowed to be built, in the NF, actually homestead type camps, in the late 40's 50's and 60's.... some have been abandoned, but many are still viable camps,,,, the USFS, wants them all torn down, and removed, but public sentiment, is fighting it, they are pretty neat,,,,,

I stayed in one over night, and left a note to the owner once,,,,, its like Last of the Alaskans in the UP..... I will have to check on what is going on with that

24-Nov-17
Razor, how close are you to Alpha/Crystal Falls?

There was an article in the Journal Sentinel last summer about the Feds not wanting families in the forest anymore in the cabins that the energy company let them build. So sad...

24-Nov-17
Tweed, I am about 25 miles west of Crystal Falls area, do a lot of grouse hunting over there

24-Nov-17
I feel fortunate that I only have to drive 40 minutes to my parents house, and my hunting land is a 5 minutes drive from them. However, I miss my wife, and I would absolutely love having a house out in the country with land. Just starting out, so that will remain a future purchase. Can't stand living in a city (towns)....even small ones.

• Sitka Gear