Pi 23-Nov-17
Pi 23-Nov-17
muzzy 23-Nov-17
Bowhunt3138 23-Nov-17
muzzy 23-Nov-17
Pi 23-Nov-17
Pi 23-Nov-17
23-Nov-17
Well I forgot to change my address within 30 days of moving and im sure my LTC(license to carry) is not valid anymore. I should have looked into this sooner. I moved from MA to CT. Has anyone else had this happen? Im not risking mine or my fathers guns. I will be calling chicopee police department monday to see if anything can be done. Kicking myself right now. Looks like I will be using my bow for gun season. Happy Thanksgiving!

23-Nov-17
Muzzle loader does not require a LTC as far as I know. It is unloaded when a primer or primer cap is not in and does not require the lock up for traveling .

My gun of choice for the whole of gun season. 1 shot well placed ...

23-Nov-17
Do you need one for a long gun if you don't live in Mass ? I know I live in NH and I don't need one to gun hunt in Mass.

23-Nov-17
Yes, A long gun is just that , a long gun. No exceptions that I am aware of. It is specific to muzzle loading guns ( must be loaded by necessity from the muzzle end) . They are classed primitive and exempt from the gun burdens, provided the primer is removed. Break open barrels are now also acceptable but must be loaded from the business end also. Scopes are acceptable too. Single shot capacity only .

23-Nov-17
Pi you are correct. My choice as well primitive arm

23-Nov-17
Bowhunter, Would we need anything else ? These things are awesome. Now to find something to drag home.

23-Nov-17
Nope tc pro hunter fox with leupold scope does the trick

23-Nov-17
Thanks guys! Looks like black powder it is. The bow will be in the truck incase I change my mind. Its always depressing every year to break out the orange for gun season.

23-Nov-17
Pass. Muzzy is just as good!!!

23-Nov-17
Just a heads up! Only game wardens consider a muzzleloader unloaded with the primer cap removed. State and local police interpret the law differently.

If there's a powder charge and a bullet in the barrel they will consider it loaded, because in reality it is loaded.

I believe it's in the abstracts that state and local authorities interpret the gun laws differently from Mass Wildlife.

It's also in the abstracts that no fid is required for black powder guns pre 1865 design, that's either flash in pan or number 11 cap with a side hammer. All modern day muzzleloaders, meaning any design after said date is considered modern day technology and fid is required.

Game warden was going to arrest a buddy of mine couple years ago because he was using a 209 primer. He had no fid. That was his only issue with the gun, the 209 primer. And that was a game warden.

After calling our local police and asking about muzzleloaders the officer in charge of the armory said HE would consider any muzzleloader that loads from the muzzle end legal to use, said he didn't care how you made it go off as long as you load it from the muzzle.

It comes down to who you're dealing with and how that individual interprets the law. Good luck out there.

23-Nov-17
Pass. I bought a blaze orange jumper this year. New / used for 35 bucks. I have been wearing it for the cold days with camo over it. It's visually very loud.

I bring in some camo when I'm in orange and take the edge off of that glow to keep hunters from pegging me in a tree . Or if I'm behind solid cover Ill add some break up material like burlap . There is enough orange showing to keep from being shot at but it gets a bit ridiculous . I hang a hat above my head and hunker down .

I used to bunch up my plastic orange vest and where a few straps across it too. This is not a suggestion but my way of trying to blend in a bit more without getting killed doing it.

23-Nov-17

EEA Home Agencies Department of Fish & Game Fisheries & Wildlife Laws & RegulationsHunting with Muzzleloading ("Primitive") Firearms

Hunting with Muzzleloading ("Primitive") Firearms

1. During the "primitive firearms" (muzzleloader) part of the open deer season, muzzle-loading primitive firearms must be of a type similar to those in common use during the mid-1800s, and which meet the following criteria:

(a) loaded from the muzzle, (b) fired from the shoulder, (c) has either a caplock or flintlock ignition system. So-called "in-line" ignition systems which have a horizontal firing mechanism instead of a traditional hammer system are lawful, provided they meet all other provisions of these requirements; (d) may be either rifled bore or smoothbore, (e) is of a caliber not less than .44 nor greater than .775, (f) has a barrel length of 18 inches or longer, (g) is used only with black powder or a synthetic substance such as "Pyrodex" which is approved for competitive muzzle-loading shoots by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, (h) contains only one usable barrel; in the case of primitive firearms with double barrels, one barrel shall be made inoperative by removal of the nipple and hammer, (i) is used with only a single lead projectile, including a round ball, pumpkin ball, Minie or Maxi bullet, or other spherical or conical projectile (i.e., no buckshot). Sabot rounds are lawful, regardless of composition, as are jacketed or belted projectiles, (j) muzzle-loading firearms which use shotgun (209) primers are lawful, provided that the firearm meets all other provisions of these requirements; (k) conventional sights, including telescopic sights, are lawful on muzzle-loading firearms; however, laser sights or any other sights which project a beam are unlawful. (l) firearms with a break-open ("hinge action") breech are lawful.

2. Primitive firearms used during the "shotgun" part of the open deer season, or for the hunting of black bear or wild turkey, must meet the above criteria, except:

(a) firearms with a break-open ("hinge action") breech are lawful; (b) firearms with more than one operable barrel are lawful; and (c) for the hunting of wild turkey, must be smoothbore and may be used only with shot not larger than #4 nor smaller than #6,

3. All other muzzle-loading long guns of any type and design may be used during the regulated open season for other species, provided that only shoulder-fired smoothbore muzzleloaders may be used in those areas and at those times when hunting is restricted to shotguns. Shoulder-fired muzzleloaders with a rifled bore may be used when rifles are lawful for hunting, except when rifles are restricted to those not larger than .22 caliber long rifle. Muzzleloading shotguns greater than 10 gauge (.775 caliber) may not be used for hunting. Refer to the Plain Language summary for hunting with handguns for information concerning muzzleloading pistols.

4. Some modern-design muzzle-loading firearms may not be "antique firearms" under state or federal law, and may require certain firearms permits or licenses. Check with the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety or U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives if you are uncertain.

This is not the complete law and is subject to change. Refer to several provisions of M.G.L. c. 131 and the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, 321 CMR.

Regulations as of 6-16-11.

23-Nov-17
Dec 4, 2005 at 12:01 AM Updated Jan 14, 2011 at 4:07 AM

Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney recently signed legislation aimed at providing one clear definition of a loaded muzzleloader, and just in time for the muzzleloader deer season, which is set to run from Dec. 12 -- 31.

For years, two competing definitions have existed on Mass. law books, leaving law-abiding gun owners wondering when their blackpowder guns are considered unloaded, therefore legal to carry in vehicles and upon public ways. By law, no person is permitted to carry a loaded rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader in or on a motor vehicle or a public way.

Prior to Gov. Romney signing the new bill, which was filed by Senator Stephen Brewer, a “loaded” shotgun or rifle was defined differently in two chapters of the Massachusetts General Laws. Chapter 131, enforced by environmental police, said that a muzzleloader is considered unloaded if the priming device is removed (either the percussion cap from a caplock, the priming powder from a flintlock, or the 209 primer from an in-line).

So, simply removing the primer prior to crossing a public way or getting into a vehicle rendered firearms unloaded, inoperable and legal.

However, Chapter 269, which was typically enforced by local and state police, said that the powder charge and shot, ball, or bullet also had to be removed from a muzzleloader for it to be considered unloaded. Under this definition, lawful gun owners had to remove the firearm’s priming device and discharge the powder and projectile from the rifle’s barrel before crossing a public way or getting into a vehicle.

The new law eliminates the requirement in Chapter 269 that a hunter remove the powder and projectile from the barrel of the rifle. Now, only the priming device need be removed for muzzleloaders to be considered unloaded, and more importantly, legal.

“On behalf of the lawful gun owners of the Commonwealth, I would like to thank Gov. Romney and all who took part in the passage of this legislation,” said Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owner’s Action League. “This new law addresses a conflict that had previously caused great concern in those who use traditional muzzleloading rifles and shotguns. Now they confidently know what is expected of them and can enjoy their heritage without the fear of being prosecuted for violating a poorly written law.”

State Representative George N. Peterson, Jr. added, “It is encouraging to see some positive action taken on behalf of the sportsmen and women of the Commonwealth

23-Nov-17
That's the fish and wildlife interpretation. If you have a Ltc or Fid all the above is fine.

It's the guys without a Ltc or Fid that stipulation #4 comes into question.

Mass gun laws are ridiculous, and need to be adjusted.

I have a couple buddies that are cops, each one says something different. One says if you can't buy it without a permit you shouldn't have it in your possession. Then read the abstracts and Mass Wildlife says you can possess it! Just can't buy it. Crazy.

23-Nov-17
Passthrough call westboro Friday , but I know for a fact you don't need a permit for a shotgun or a muzzle loader if you have a Mass hunting license coming from NH. I don't need a trigger lock either because it's not a NH law. Gun must be cased but no trigger lock. Good luck !!

23-Nov-17
Good information on loaded vs unloaded.

23-Nov-17
Agreed . As one searches it brings us back to the same page. Round and around. I went with getting the maximum permission just in case.

It does seem that Romney got that straight but maybe ill carry a printout just to be safe with those less informed law dogs.

23-Nov-17
Bowhunter it must also be unloaded. The obvious taking out of shells with shotgun but the definition of unloaded with Muzzle-loader was vague. I learned it was removal of primer cap or other ignition source. Romney seems to have made it clear . But who wants to deal with a badge that thinks differently. I happen to be in a good area but some towns are driven to do it there own way. Ill carry a printout in the wagon.

• Sitka Gear