Jebediah 23-Nov-17
Pi 24-Nov-17
Jebediah 24-Nov-17
Pi 24-Nov-17
Fatkid1979 24-Nov-17
Belchertown Bowman 24-Nov-17
Pi 24-Nov-17
23-Nov-17
Which law outlines orange requirement for muzzleloader? MGL ch 131 section 71 says orange required during shotgun, and doesn't seem to address muzzleloader. I can't find where it's written for muzzleloader.

23-Nov-17
Good question

23-Nov-17
Last line :

Primitive Firearms deer season: Primitive Firearms Stamp required. Hunters may use only shoulder-fired muzzleloaders .44 caliber to .775 caliber; barrel length 18 inches or more with only one barrel operational. Inline ignition systems are permitted providing rifle loads from the muzzle. Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers, break/hinge-action muzzleloaders, and scopes are legal. Powder limited to black powder or black powder substitutes. A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed. Archers may hunt during the muzzleloader firearms season but must purchase a Primitive Firearms Stamp. All deer hunters must wear at least 500 square inches of hunter orange on head, back, and chest during the primitive firearms season.

23-Nov-17
Thanks Pi. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's from "eRegulations," which I think is a summary of sorts, and I think may sometimes suffer from a "telephone game" sort of problem. I am wondering about verbatim Mass law (chapter and verse). It may well exist, I just haven't found it.

23-Nov-17
Mass Gov.

Hunter orange requirements

Youth Deer Hunt Day: 500 square inches of hunter orange on the chest, back and head required, regardless of the hunting implement you are using. Archery Season: Hunter orange is not required unless on a WMA stocked with pheasants (see below). Shotgun Deer Season: 500 square inches of visible hunter orange on the chest, back and head required, regardless of the hunting implement you are using. The hunter orange may not be concealed (i.e., when using a hunting blind, hunter orange must be visible). Primitive Firearms Season: 500 square inches of hunter orange on the chest, back and head, regardless of the hunting implement you are using.

23-Nov-17
All found in Mass Gov. Hunting Regulations .

If you search "Massachusetts law about guns and other weapons ". You will find all that you need to know. and the sections are listed as needed.

There is even a section under "Related Services" that is "Ordinances and Bylaws for cities and Towns" at the bottom of the page , where Town Bylaws can be accessed .

23-Nov-17
Yes I see that second one is mass.gov, it is kind of a synopsis, but is clear, as you say. I still wonder about the specific legislation from which it eminates (chapter/section, etc). Just curious.

24-Nov-17
Sec 5 in 131 Grants the Director the authority to make the rules. Director is subject to a approval of Fishery and Wildlife Board Sec7 of Chapter 21 and chapter 30 section 37 (That's the Best that I found.)

24-Nov-17
That certainly could be it. Director can set rules of open seasons pertaining to "all other matters." So he could say we have to play the kazoo while hunting. Which is actually a lot like my can call.

24-Nov-17
I would have to self deport at that point.

24-Nov-17
Pi and Jeb, I get such laughs from both of you, I can't stop reading this site. This posting is very helpful. Thank you both for posting and answering. I got my orange and bang sticks ready to go. Till then, off I go back into the woods with only camo and a bow. This sport is the best. Talk to both of you later. Best of luck.

24-Nov-17
I think Pi is part lawyer,.. if I ever need one ya free? :)

24-Nov-17
Now BB no reason to get nasty. No one likes being called a Lawyer. Maybe not free but dirt cheep !

Hey Kid , Your a good egg ! Jeb sends me the material , I'm just reading along.

• Sitka Gear