jax2009r 28-Nov-17
bigbuckbob 28-Nov-17
air leak 28-Nov-17
bb 28-Nov-17
Tall 1 28-Nov-17
spike78 28-Nov-17
BoneHead 28-Nov-17
24-Nov-17
As you all know I've been putting in my time, effort, dedication and time into hunting. I've been trying so hard and have had multiple encounters but nothing close enough with a bow. My wife had texted me at 4 saying the kids need to eat. I figured with all the time I've been putting in lately I can leave a half HR early. I grabbed my pack and started out. On my way out I hit the power lines and started down. On the left side which I don't hunt I could hear something. I sat patiently waiting. I hit the bleat but it didn't seem like it caught his attention. I switched over to the grunt and he couldn't resist. Started my way and I knelt down quickly. I got a quick range where I thought he would step out and sure enough it's exactly where he stepped out. I ranged it 15 yards. Everything came together in a split second for me. I've put in the time and effort and before this buck had stepped out I had already said to myself if it's a buck it's going down. I feel like I deserved this buck and it was quite emotional for me. I had done everything in my power to harvest one of these beautiful animals and even though I'm after a rack at that second it didn't matter to me. It was everything I've done to get up to this point that mattered. I drew on him, set my first pin on him and let it fly. He was quartering towards me slightly and with my new strobing red and green lighted knocks I could see it fly beautifully. Whack.. the shot looked right on and he mule kicked and ran off. It wasn't a pass through and I could see it sticking out of him as he ran. After 50 yards I could see it fall out. I eventually made my way to the arrow to check it out. It did not get good penetration but there's blood and hair. The end had broken off and is still in him. With a shot like that I don't want to bump him so I'm giving him the night.. I'll be out first thing in the morning looking for the blood trail. I marked where I had picked up the arrow to start off again.. this was an awesome night and hopefully it ends awesome. Thanks to all who follows along, give me tips, motivation, and it has helped me to harvest this buck..

Shawn

24-Nov-17
That's the thing.. the shot looked on but only a couple inches are broken off. The white part on the bloodsport arrow doesn't even have blood on it. I didn't hear him crash and I could hear him walking. I do not want to push this deer around all night to lose him. If the yotes get to him before I do than that will be extremely unfortunate. Last year my big buck stayed overnight and was fine the following day.

24-Nov-17
Agreed. The totes will eat him tonight. Good point SWK!

24-Nov-17
Qrt to, shot in front or behind shoulder? If in front, feed the kids and then go look for him.

24-Nov-17
Good luck. Only an entrance hole will make it difficult to blood trail. With that shot description I would take my chances with coyotes. Better off losing a hindquarter than jumping him into the next county.

24-Nov-17
Thanks nehunter!!! I posted on here to get congrats not "well you should of done this".

24-Nov-17
What's the color and length of hair? Any preliminary blood trail? Great story and hopefully a great recovery.

24-Nov-17
You just a shoot a buck with a questionable hit from 15 yards away, property is loaded with coyotes, you lose all the meat from your deer last year and you want congrats. Ok. Congrats on putting an arrow in one. Find him in one piece and all the meat is good and you'll get lots of "Atta Boys". C'mon man. We're all here to offer our experience and help.

24-Nov-17
Congrats on your sighting and able To Make a shot. Hopefully it was and ethical and good Shot to take. We will all congratulate you Once you have harvested this animal. Hopefully He has past And not still alive with a partial arrow in him. Good Luck in the AM!

24-Nov-17

24-Nov-17
Get a good good flash light and go find the start of the blood trail , see if it looks good if so take up the trail

24-Nov-17
Questionable hit?? Where did you get that from. I said the shot looked right on but the penetration wasn't good and I didn't hear him crash.. as for the meat last year that was also out of my hands. A warm night meant the meat went bad. Soap, the hair was brown and as for the blood it looks kinda in between if that makes any sense. Not dark but not bright either. Great idea Paul... I'm headed out now

24-Nov-17
Good luck Shawn keep us Posted!

24-Nov-17
Good luck!

24-Nov-17
Good luck. Sounds like a scapula hit if you only got 6" of penetration from point blank range. I hope you get him tonight. I'll be checking back often.

24-Nov-17
Shawn, everyone has an opinion but you were the only one there so do what you think is right. If you go tonight and jump him the next county some will say I told you so, the same is true if you go the other route. Good luck, either way. Let me know if you need help dragging :)

24-Nov-17
Deep breath. Replay it in your mind and think realistic, not optimistic. Quartering towards you especially if he's on the right side, and if short brown hair,questionable blood and limited penetration could mean a front shoulder/scapula. Hopefully it was a good hit and a solid recovery. Good luck

24-Nov-17
Quartering to shots are horrible. I shot one with a 25-06 and it went through the shoulder a lung through guts and came out the back hip and I ended up shooting the deer again. I will avoid quartering to from now on.

24-Nov-17
Super classy bbb and soap. I appreciate the encouragement and I'm going up now.. I'm gonna check around where I hit him and found the arrow. If I can see a good trail I'll follow until otherwise..

24-Nov-17
Be patient and smart. Be a CSI investigator. Right now your heart is out of it.

24-Nov-17
WTF Dude!!!!...far be it for me to cast stones, ive lost my fair share that still haunt me but...

Thanks nehunter!!! I posted on here to get congrats not "well you should of done this".

What are you a tv hunter now ? Are you gonna dance and squeal holy buckets too?..thats a comment you keep to yourself not post for the internet world to see!!!

Questionable hit?? Where did you get that from.

You said it yourself..slight 1/4 to in low light..

I dont know about you but i remember in my bow hunter class they stressed to never ever take a head on or a 1/4 to shot..questionable with a gun let alone a bow!!

I understand feeding your kids but i bet your wife would understand if you told her what happened instead of going home and playing keyboard jockey..as painful as it is ,you shouldve gone for a burger,killed some time,then go back in super slow. YOU OWE IT TO THE ANIMAL!!! Youre the one that knows the number of yotes there..ive taken days off only to come up with fur and bones .and i STILL called it in.its the least anybody could do..

I understand the heat of the moment, but dude!! To me it sounds like a shoulder hit at best.theres nothing written in stone that says a mule kick is a kill shot.

Im only busting your balls cause of your comments.i TRUELY hope you get your deer and every time you look at the rack you remember your mistake and hopefuly learn from it.ya i know im a d#@k, a hole.

24-Nov-17
Good luck sounds like a shoulder shot hope it went in deep enough to get 1 lung and he is dead in the morning good luck keep us posted

24-Nov-17
Good luck...hope you find him

24-Nov-17
Good luck Shawn, i don’t wanna be a downer but to me sounds like a shoulder hit. Minimal penetration, and a whack on impact, and in between blood? Sounds like muscle blood. Angling toward hits are very easy to hit the shoulder. Best to wait for broadside or angling away shot. I Wish you best of luck and hope you that you find him. I’ll congratulate you tommorow when i see pictures of the buck down.

25-Nov-17
Good luck today Shawn, hope to see a picture later.

25-Nov-17
Good luck hopefully you get a good recovery.

25-Nov-17
It is morning already. You better be up and drinking some coffee. Today is the day you will get a buck. Do not walk in without bow in hand . Go get the deer shawnm.

25-Nov-17
Good luck with the recovery.

25-Nov-17
Like walking into an Asian massage parlor...we want a Happy ending to the story.

25-Nov-17
Lmao

25-Nov-17
Found it yet?

25-Nov-17
Rise and shine Shawn go get him

25-Nov-17
Shawn......??

25-Nov-17
Any update Shawn

25-Nov-17
You all hurt his feelings he’s soft. Now you ain’t gonna hear from him for days.

25-Nov-17
Your right spike

25-Nov-17
ballsy thread title for a marginal hit

25-Nov-17
This is not good...no answers and no pictures is a bad sign...I hope I'm wrong!!

25-Nov-17
+1, Rich!

I’m hopeful that this one will turn out alright but...

Tell ya, though... I’ve worked an awful lot harder for some animals than for others, but I never felt like I “deserved” any of them... that’s just not part of the thinking. The animal (IMO) “deserves” my best effort and best judgement in preparation, shot selection, etc.

But each animal is a Gift.

25-Nov-17
Just got back.. woke up first thing this morning and headed out right before sunrise. I waited at the bottom of the lines for light to appear. As it did I started my journey.. slowly made my way to where I hit him and no blood.. went to where the arrow fell out and no blood.. looked and looked and looked. The arrow was five yards past a stone wall he had jumped over and not one drop of blood on the wall. I walked from 6am to 130 and literally not one drop of blood. I'm absolutely devastated.. the shot looked perfect and the only conclusion I can come to is I hit his shoulder. As we all know it's a game of inches and even though it looked perfect it obviously was off a little. BTW I love all the dick head comments. You all wonder why there's the same group of 15 on here for years. I've seen soo many people come and go because of these dickhead comments. It's always the guys who don't get shit or see shit that have all the comments. I wanted to give an update to the ones I do like on this site and congrats to you all you officially running off another guy. This will be my last post so don't worry you don't have to hear my bullshit anymore

25-Nov-17
I think he took his toys into a thick brush and he is licking his pride wounds.

25-Nov-17
Keep your head up Shawnm, happens to the best of them. Live and learn..

25-Nov-17
Dude im not gonna get in a pissing match with you..i know the d@#khead remark is in reference to me, but when you post asinine comments like BIG BUCK DOWN!!!!!! without knowing if it is on a questionable shot or im here for that a boy and cigars on the house when theres no sign of recovery, or i deserve this deer..prepare to feel the sting of the internet!!.if i didnt somebody else wouldve.or at least thought it..step back and reread before you hit submit.

.in a years time you went from a questioning young lad to barbara striestan at the acadamy awards"id like to thank all the little people"..which way would you like the rose petals to face before theyre tossed over the sacred ground..you better learn to grow a thick skin if youre gonna get your panties twisted in knots over a couple ahole comments

We're all here to help each other learn and grow in this passion of ours and at times things go south. Learn from the humbling experience....

Now, whats for dinner..

25-Nov-17
Shawnm, No one is trying to shame you. But maybe when you cool down you’ll see some validity to the points people made. You have to realize that this isn’t the chess club. Bowsiters say what they think even if it isn’t kosher. Just roll with it. My advice is chill bro.

25-Nov-17
For sure Shawn, it happens to the best of us. Best thing that could outcome from this is you learn and try not to let it happen again. You are always going to have negative and positive feedback on any social media site. Don't let it bother you. Don't be upset when you get negative feedback from how the first thread was brought to our attention. Good luck in your future hunts to come.

25-Nov-17
Shit happens and I for one could give a shit less what anyone thinks of me in person never mind the Internet. But I’m not going to lie the title of the thread was a bit misleading at the very least. Chill out and when you go to the dinner just spike notme’s food with a laxitive lol.

25-Nov-17
First deer I ever took a shot at was 6 point buck probably 3 yrs old. 10 yrds broadside and hit the shoulder blade. Fournately back then my draw weight was much less and it bounced off the shoulder blade 90 degrees sideway and never penetrated. The frustration of that shot many years later is a better reminder to me to pay attention to every detail and appreciate every successful harvest. Happens to everyone. We all have had off shots.

25-Nov-17
What!? No YouTube video to emphasize the messages. NOTME you are slipping. Better post a video clip shortly before everyone else thinks you are getting old and senile.

25-Nov-17
You never said the size of the rack? I lost the big buck I shot this year from a shoulder shot. If you want the trophy just keep an eye out for the buzzards they will lead you two it in about a week. Don't beat your self up, I stopped posting when I loss one.

25-Nov-17
I've lost three deer to shoulder shots. One of them was one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in the woods. That was over ten years ago, I'm still not over it. The only good thing about it is that they usually survive to be shot another day.

Things like that really force me to evaluate and analyze things and make changes so that it never happens again. It may be poor shot decision, failure to read body language, or crap equipment. The important thing is to take responsibility, learn a lesson, and move forward. I give people a hard time when they don't take responsibility, and blame everything except their own mistake. They fail to learn, and repeat their failures. That pisses me off, so sometimes I come off as a dick. I'm good with that, all I care about is trying to help other hunters improve on what they are doing. This aint no safe space.

Shawn, you are still brand new to bow hunting, this is only your second season. You have had some amazing luck so far, but really it has been more luck than anything else. It's getting to your head a little. It took me 7 years to get my first deer with a bow. And that was with my father, a seasoned veteran as my mentor. He never made getting a deer easy, I always had to work for what I earned. I've always had bad luck. And I never had a chance to get big headed about getting deer. You will make mistakes, you will fail, and do dumb stuff, thats part of bow hunting, and unfortunately thats how most hunters learn lessons. People will give you shit for doing dumb stuff, and people will give you advice on the best ways to improve or evaluate things when you are putting it all out there on a public forum. I think in the long run there is far more good than bad in this type of format. But the bad can really get under your skin. Take it like a man, brush it off, focus on those who want to help, and listen to people who know what the hell they are talking about. Learn your lessons without picking up your toys and going home. That is a failing attitude.

Hope you decide to brush off the dust and get back on the horse, I do enjoy your posts and watching you grow as a bowhunter. Best of luck out there.

25-Nov-17
Just goes to show yet again.. the friggen comments on here are from people that like to think they are.perfect. .... again unappropriate bullshit remarks from far from perfect people with egos of giants....... typical of shitty sportsman.... shaking my head to this forum. Turning into a joke. ..... Shawn I feel your pain. And know all about the shitty comments from people that weren't there nor know what went down... guess it's time to start a real forum and actually moderate it. And control ... bullshit.

25-Nov-17
You should do that, you will be the only one on it. You can call it safe space unicorn jockey snowflake land.

25-Nov-17
Shawn, you are still organizing the dinner, right?

25-Nov-17
Shawnm no one is trying to shame you at all on this forum, you need to toughen up bud. You don’t like the comments don’t post ones that set yourself up for criticism. The title of this thread is buck down!!? When In fact it should have been buck hit or arrowed one, don’t assume you got it til it’s gutted. Most people would have assumed from the title when they opened the thread that they would see a pic of you holding a nice buck. I for one was rooting for you. When we opened the thread to read what actually happened i was let down a little to read but still hoping for you but honestly had about 10% faith you would find your deer, i just didn’t comment at that time. The way you described everything it sounded bad. I understand that you really wanted to get your buck but here is a valuable lesson that you have learned from this. DO NOT TAKE ANGLING TOWARDS shots they do not end well with a bow. I don’t care What you are shooting or what broad head etc. If you hit that shoulder joint you are not penetrating it. Many of us on here are telling you from experience. Me personally in my first years of Hunting I Iiterally watched the arrow go in and fall out. That was when i was shooting 70 lb with muzzy broadheads. We arent here to belittle you or poke fun. We are Here for help, and hope that you avoid many mistakes that we have unfortunatly made. We hope you come back as i enjoy reading your adventures afield, only time will tell. If not good luck on your hunts and wish you the best. Enjoy the gear i gave you and your daughter and I hope they are of good use.

25-Nov-17
Shawn I hope that you realize you made a bad decision by releasing that arrow and that a quartering to, or frontal shot is an extremely low percentage shot much in the same way as a shot straight down at a deer. I advise all of my students in my hunter safety courses to always wait for the broadside or quartering away shot as this increases the likelihood of hitting the vitals. We all get caught up in the moment of the adrenaline rush, excitement, buck fever etc and just plain wanting that deer so bad sometimes overrides what we have been taught. Don't take this as people picking on you or being mean, take this as a lesson learned and know that things don't always go perfectly but that you need to learn from your mistakes. I hope you return to the forum as I enjoy your posts and I wish you nothing but success for the rest of the season. If you read this and decide not to come back to the forum, good luck in the future. Dont get butt hurt over peope's comments, you still have alot to learn,as we all do. I've been doing this longer then you have been on the planet, and I still learn new things here and I'm reminded of my flaws every time I go into the woods.

25-Nov-17
Shawn I felt the same way after my Lost buck post but it turned out most of these dick heads were right.

My bow was poorly tuned and I rushed my shots and I had everything to do with the outcome.

Keep trying!

25-Nov-17
grizzly. I'm really starting to think your a d@#$. Sorry dude. But your not god. Nor perfect do kinda have a big mouth . Quite frankly I think your full of sh%$. .. get lucky sometime but other . Miss and make bad shots but like to talk sh$%. To cover your a$$. . But all good. Don't worry. Once the unicorn fairy land is up and running you'll get your invitation. Now you can enjoy your night. Playing twidily winks....

25-Nov-17
What’s with the hostility? Christmas is in a few weeks. PM each other if it’s gonna get nasty. No one really wants to be a part of it.

25-Nov-17
Its ok, it happens to everybody. Its not the end of the world.

26-Nov-17
@>>---CTCrow---> : "Shawn, you are still organizing the dinner, right?"

Of course he is, but it will cost more for "some" people. It would be very unprofessional to cancel a previously booked venue. The new limit for crossbows is still 100 yards, or not?

26-Nov-17
Grizz your ego is so big you still fail to recognize when someone has done good or better than you. We have a word for people like you.. HATERS.. my first season last year I shot a doe and a ten point buck. Last year I also passed on a doe. This year I took a beautiful 5 point and was able to shoot another buck. While looking for him yesterday I had a doe 7 yards from me. This year I passed on a nice 4 point, the doe yesterday, and 5 does within 15 yards which I could of taken any. Luck... ha.. maybe killing one deer is lucky but this is skill which you fail to recognize. Not everyone has to travel in your shoes to kill a deer. If it took you 7 seasons to kill a deer that's pretty shitty. But wait.. that's bad luck. You have ran off soo many other bowsiters here I can't believe pat hasn't taken action. You are right about one thing though, you are a dick!!!

26-Nov-17
Grizz and Tall 1, I couldn't agree more with your previous posts about learning from our mistakes and moving on. I missed a great buck yesterday with a rifle and it was my fault, shooting too fast. With over 50 years of hunting whitetails and many kills with bow and gun, I should have known better than to let excitement take over and make a hasty shot. Even after all my years of hunting, one can still make a mistake. Learn from your mistakes. shawnm, I won't even make a comment about your last post,

26-Nov-17
All of us that bow hunt have made shots that we're off mark. Some ended in a kill quickly, some not so quickly and others, not at all. If the intent of this is share our experiences and mentor new hunters then you don't do it by knocking them down. You do it by teaching them how to be better. They already know what they did wrong, so there's no reason to dwell on it.

26-Nov-17
Funny that my post was saying almost the exact same thing as many others, yet I'm the one being a jerk. I'm sorry that it went so far over your head that you couldn't comprehend any of it past calling you lucky and big headed. Maybe that was a bit harsh for someone so sensitive, but it is what it is. My apologies. And I never gave you any crap about making a bad shot, I just said to learn from it, and listen to people who are trying to help. You and Native should go back and read my post again slowly, put your butt hurt emotions aside and hopefully you can get something positive out of it. If you guys want to continue calling me names go for it, or you can act like adults and engage in a constructive conversation where you can learn something and maybe even teach others something.

26-Nov-17
All I can say Shawn is WOW .

26-Nov-17
Do any of you think I go out in the woods with intent on wounding a deer?? I cannot get this buck out of my head as he is walking around with a 2 5/8 muzzy in his shoulder. I can only imagine the pain he is enduring with every step he takes. My only intent is to harvest these animals. If you could bring back Friday and put me in the same exact predicament I would of done everything exactly the same. As I said 50 times the shot looked dead on even as he ran with the arrow in him. When I got the arrow and saw only the last 4 inches were broken off and little blood had I realized it might of hit the shoulder. I obviously had figured out what went wrong pretty quick. I didn't need I hope you realize the mistake you made and picking apart my title of the thread. I wouldn't of wrote buck down if I didn't think he was. Sometimes people need a helping hand instead of a beat down. Everyone was quick to offer there criticism but not one offer to come help track him.. I won't show because I don't want to single anyone out but if you could see all my pm's from multiple people saying the same exact thing I am maybe its just not my sensitivity.....

26-Nov-17
Oh you guys.....

26-Nov-17
Sorry to hear shawn....we have all released an areoq we wished we had back....

I agree some guys did jump on you....dont let the keyboards get to you.. .

Deer are tough mayne he made it.....id go back in a week and look for birds.

26-Nov-17
“If you could bring back Friday and put me in the same exact predicament I would of done everything exactly the same. ”

You lost me there, bud...

I thought you were agonizing over the outcome, but then you say you’d do it all over again. Really?? Nobody’s perfect, but Experience isn’t worth much if you refuse to learn from it.

For your consideration....

When you take a quartering-on shot angle, you’re playing thread-the-needle with a lot of bone in the mix. That’s why most bowhunters and ALL Bowhunter Ed instructors advise against it.

But then you upped the Ante on yourself by attempting to thread a freaking HUGE broadhead through that skinny gap.

If you want to be able to take shots where bone figures prominently in the equation, you need to match your broadhead to the anatomy.... and an oversized expandable is at the wrong end of the spectrum. I don’t know much about broadheads under 125 grains, but something like a Magnus Stinger 100 would have served you - AND THE DEER - a lot better.

So JMO.... Stop and think about your gear selection. If you want to be able to take challenging angles, you need a head that can power through a lot of heavy bone. If you want a huge wound channel, then you need to pick softer targets. There are plenty of Trad guys out there making quick, clean kills without the benefit of the “pin-point” accuracy that compound shooters like to talk up, yet their broadheads are nothing more exotic than a fixed 2-blade of about 1 1/4”..... such as has been in use for the past however many thousand years.

Anyway, just seems like you’re complicating things for yourself by trying to throw a chainsaw at ‘em.

And FWIW, I’m not a fan of quartering-on angles even when I’m packing a rifle; too much meat loss. Not saying I won’t take it if that’s the best I angle I can reasonably expect to get, but all of my bullets weigh more than your broadheads, and some of my bullets weigh more than your arrows..

26-Nov-17
I'm not giving up.. I got all my trail cams(which is only 3) and hung them all in the area. He's a regular buck. On the way out that night I grabbed one cam and sure enough he was on it in three pics.. I went back up today to look and all my next hunts are planned there. Hopefully if he's still alive I can get another shot at him.

26-Nov-17
Shawn, im laying odds he's still alive. Good luck

26-Nov-17
Check out the Cutthroat broadheads. Built like a tank. Shawn are you using the Muzzy Hybrids? I agree with above that he is still alive. It would be sweet to have another go at him.

26-Nov-17

DeerDan 's embedded Photo
DeerDan 's embedded Photo
This thread at least needs a pic of a buck down so here's one was lucky enough to get a shot at Saturday morning before work.

26-Nov-17
Shawn, the extra trail cameras is a great idea. It is fortunate you have some to spare. Good luck in your quest to get another arrow in him. Your effort is in line with your comments that it bothers you that you wounded him. If you get him, imagine how satisfying it will be.

26-Nov-17
He's the number one buck I'm after. I switched it up from going after the huge 8 to trying to get him. It would be extremely satisfying. Yes for broadheads I am using muzzy trocar hb.

26-Nov-17
Overall, I ditto Silverado. Really well said.

Shawn, sometimes bad things happen. In archery hunting, they almost always happen on quartering to shots. They are not worth it... Ever. That said, keep your head up. Keep at it... maybe you get another shot - this or next year.

26-Nov-17
"As it did I started my journey.. slowly made my way to where I hit him and no blood.. went to where the arrow fell out and no blood.. looked and looked and looked. The arrow was five yards past a stone wall he had jumped over and not one drop of blood on the wall. I walked from 6am to 130 and literally not one drop of blood. I'm absolutely devastated.. the shot looked perfect and the only conclusion I can come to is I hit his shoulder"

Shawn,

As I read this I picture the location where you stuck an arrow in the deer. You said four inches are missing. Is that four inches including the broad head or just missing shaft? If it is only shaft, IMHO, the wound is deep enough to kill the deer. I am skeptical about you not finding blood. That is, if the arrow penetrated enough to hang in him, some blood had to escape the wound. The arrow breaks usually in two ways. Either it was in the shoulder bone and snapped as the leg raked by a tree, or, it snapped as the piece inside the rib cage was sheared by the motion of the shoulder bone. Your best location for finding some blood is where he landed after leaping the wall. The downward motion should thrust drips/drops down to the ground. The blood will be teeny tiny and sparse. You might try some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle to turn it white and more visible. However, the foaming action will destroy the drop/drip and mask the shape of the drip, which should show you the direction it was traveling as it hit the ground. So go slowly and use the hydrogen peroxide only as a last resort to locate blood. If you get anxious and ahead of the blood, you could miss a turn in his direction. DON'T GET AHEAD OF THE BLOOD. On hands and knees, drip by drip, find and follow the blood. Since he was running, you can expect blood to be spaced maybe ten feet or more between drips. His weight must have disturbed the leaf mat and blood should be near that spot.

I'm available to help if you want/need me, west of the Connecticut River.

26-Nov-17

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
Wild Bill I wanted to be exact so I took out the Stanley. It's 31/2 with the head. Here's two pics of the arrow. You can see blood go up to the white part and stop about 1/4 inch on it.

27-Nov-17
Shawn, The question I have is, how much of the shaft minus the head is missing? If only the head is missing, I doubt you get the deer, been there and done that.

The point I was making is that a wound bleeds and just as some is on the shaft, some makes it to the ground. If there is an opening in the chest cavity, the deer may die before healing can occur, especially in the area where a moving leg keeps the wound open. Breathing will be difficult, but blood loss is needed to produce death. If the point is inside, it should continue to damage lung and he will hemorrhage inside till death. He will want cover and water.

27-Nov-17
Shawn, The question I have is, how much of the shaft minus the head is missing? If only the head is missing, I doubt you get the deer, been there and done that.

The point I was making is that a wound bleeds and just as some is on the shaft, some makes it to the ground. If there is an opening in the chest cavity, the deer may die before healing can occur, especially in the area where a moving leg keeps the wound open. Breathing will be difficult, but blood loss is needed to produce death. If the point is inside, it should continue to damage lung and he will hemorrhage inside till death. He will want cover and water. When you follow blood, you are following that deer.

I'm talking about teeny tiny flecks of blood, probably starting fifteen to twenty yards from where he was hit. That's why I suggest his landing spot over the wall. Your memory can be fifteen or twenty yards off, been there and done that.

27-Nov-17
Shawn, It is part of the sport, shake it off and get back on the horse. Hopefully your cameras will tell you if the buck survived. If he did survive, work at it and you will another shot at him. After many years of hunting both bow and gun, I have lost some deer that I thought I had hit good. I have followed blood trails that I expected to see the deer due to a large amount of blood at every turn. My cameras have given me insight, once I had a complete pass thru and tracked the deer with much blood until it stopped. Found the deer on a camera a couple of weeks later and saw the scar with the three blade pattern a bit high. I was glad the deer survived, they are tough animals! Keep the passion you have but remember the deal is not closed till you are gutting the deer. It does happen more times than most are willing to admit. All the best into the future, celebrate every harvest, as they are not guaranteed.

27-Nov-17
Guys - keep in mind the amount of shaft missing doesn't equal the amount of penetration. It could have penetrated just 2 inches. If the broadhead is lodged into a bone securely, and the deer runs past a tree or rock, the arrow will break off at almost any point along the shaft. I hit a doe with my truck that had 3-1/2 legs. The half leg was healed over for quite some time and she was healthy looking in terms of body weight. They're tough.

27-Nov-17
Hey shawn....

I think you've grown as a hunter in the last couple of days. When you first posted this thread and people told you their opinions, you went defensive right away and clamed up in your shell. Now you are engaging in constructive conversation and that's good.

You are a cool well liked guy in the site and would hate to see you go cuz you can't handle criticism. Learn from this and you'll come out a better hunter.

I'll tell you what I thought about the thread in person at the dinner so you can punch me in the face.

27-Nov-17
I agree with crow 100_ percent,....... Punch him in the face:)

27-Nov-17
"amount of shaft missing, doesn't equal the amount of penetration....." Nope not touching that one

27-Nov-17
"the arrow will break off at almost any point along the shaft."

Bob, I suppose you could be right. Carbons are new to me and I'm thinking how it is with aluminum. Because the shaft Shawn showed has a special section to collect blood, and I don't actually know how much is missing, I'm thinking he lost only the broadhead and insert. A wound that opens the lung cavity pushes blood out with each breath, regardless of how much penetration there is.

27-Nov-17

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
Here's a better one
shawnm's embedded Photo
Here's a better one
Bill here is a pic of what exactly broke off. Yes a couple inches of the arrow itself did snap off also.

27-Nov-17
How much of that shaft was bloodied?

Personally, I’ve never seen blood on a part of the shaft that hadn’t been in past the skin...

27-Nov-17
IMHO, depending on exactly where he was hit, and hopefully the point is still in him, he could be dead.

I'm thinking that to break at that point of the shaft, the distance between the point and the break must have had some support/resistance to the break. If you missed the leg/shoulder bones, then they did the shearing of the shaft protruding from the chest cavity. Think of how anchored the point must have been, to allow the shaft to bend and break so close to the point.

27-Nov-17

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
If it goes right up to the white part and a little bit on

27-Nov-17
Shawn the big buck I hit early season with the crossbow was high in the shoulder. I had a pool of blood in three different spots. I then found my arrow it was soaked with blood. .But I knew it wasn't a pass threw shit as I seen it in his shpulder. He dropped it with about 3 inches gone. . Today . We did a quick bedding drive. And sure as shit that deer came out asses and elbows. If I could have stopped hi. Enough to get the cross hairs on him . There would be a pic to follow. But he did not and I would not even think of takin the shot today knowing I would have only wounded him .I respect him enough to hunt him the rest of the season.

27-Nov-17
I’d say that deer is alive and well. Not enough penetration.

27-Nov-17
You can take side by side pictures of arrows till kodak is popular again it doesnt really mean a thing..unless you know the over all length of the arrow + head over all length - the length of the left over shaft ,youll never know whats left in the deer..and even that doesnt really mean anything..the blood on the shaft is from what dripped out.. there could be the head burried in the bone with 2" of shaft sticking out..think asparagus,itll break at its weakest point..

I shoot full length beaman ics hunter arrows 32"..slick trick 125gr head..i think the length is 1 1/4..thats a 33 1/4 over all length..

A couple of yrs ago i took a shot at an absolute monster 10pt..he stepped out at broadside 35yrds while i was kneeling on the ground .as i released he ducked and spun now its a hard 1/4away..i saw the arrow hit shoulder..50yrds later i found my fully bloodied arrow -10"...does that mean i have 10" of penetration(hehe) or 1 1/4 penetration and 8 3/4 arrow sticking out? I tracked this deer for 3days off work plus had people looking for birds..a wk later i saw him with the shaft in him..this yr the shaft mustve finaly worked out and hes a bit gimpy but fine..

27-Nov-17
I have a few arrows that look identical to that from shoulder hits. They lived, deer are very resilient animals. Your buck is probably out mounting a doe right now. Don't dwell on it. Hope you get another crack at him.

27-Nov-17
Notme, I’m guessing 1 3/4” penetration ;)

27-Nov-17
Just the tip i promise...lol

27-Nov-17
Looking at that arrow, my gut says the shoulder was hit, and the deer will live. The weird thing is lack of blood. Unless we find the deer, we never really know what happened... sure looks like a shoulder hit... The lack of blood is just really odd.

27-Nov-17
Will,I would say again it depends.

1) If the head is laying on the outside of the shoulder (or leg bone) against the bone,when the deer ran and the arrow catches a sapling or what ever, it would probably force the back half of the arrow out towards the deers ass ripping skin and muscle causing a tear. The arrow would probably just fall out whole without having anything behind it for resistance.

2) If the head is in bone it probably go in the same direction but only tearing skin, maybe muscle...

3) Inside shoulder it might lodge between shoulder and rib, possibly breaking a rib in the process with the outside force.

A pretty easy cheezy way to look at it is ...hold a pencil straight vertical, now take another pencil and go horizontal with just the point against the verticle one and apply force....what happens....

1and 2 with that little bit of shaft left, the blood should just be running down the deers leg( its not like it hit a gusher) And God knows how far apart the drops would be.

3 probably the same thing but possibly internal bleeding.

If that head in any way ,shape or form hit lung,then the blood would be steadier drips with every inhale/exhale.and as we all know with blood filling the lungs ,there would be coughing and a splatter eventualy..

Thats where getting on your hands and knees and crawling around like a baby comes into play..finding the direction of travel by looking at the leaves and touching every single suspect leaf..standing up and looking around imo will not tell you anything...

But what the hell do i know, im just the crazy old guy mumbling in the corner

28-Nov-17
SWK,

Great video. I always liked Dan's productions.

Looks to me, with the buck head down, he severed the carotid artery and the blood loss to the brain was immediate.

28-Nov-17
I would think that close with todays bows you woukd either blow through or at least bounce off it up or down

28-Nov-17
I've never seen a deer drop like from anything but a spine shot, so that was interesting. I also love the stalking tips and it's funny he mentioned Irish Setter boots, because that's what I have for early season and wore them in New Mexico for elk.

28-Nov-17
That is a poor shot by Fitzgerald. What too far forward, a good 6-8 inches off the mark. At that distance, inexcusable.

He is lucky that the deer was hit in the spine and dropped.

28-Nov-17
That was a spine shot.

28-Nov-17
I've always been a big fan of the Fitzgerald's work. Dan is the real deal, no BS just hard core hunting and preparing/cooking and eating great wild game meats. I used to watch his tapes on my VCR. ( Half the readers are saying...What's a VCR?) Lol

28-Nov-17
Loved watching Fitzgerald tapes but I hear he is an arrogant prick.

28-Nov-17
Def not a good Shot but luckily it worked Out for Him. Otherwise animal would have had a couple rough days.

• Sitka Gear