Rut Nut 11-Dec-17
swiggy 11-Dec-17
Kirkus 11-Dec-17
Vonfoust 12-Dec-17
horsethief51 12-Dec-17
Rut Nut 13-Dec-17
RC 13-Dec-17
26-Nov-17
Dan and I are sitting in the Florida room watching a shooter buck feed 50 yards from a stand he hunted in bow season. It finally left the field and walked past the stand on the tractor trail. He knows it is Sunday!

27-Nov-17
Did he come back this morning? ;-)

27-Nov-17
No. Doe was there when we came back from the butcher just now. I saw 13 includung 3 bucks so far.

27-Nov-17
Nice! : )

27-Nov-17
I guess we cannot say that Dan got a 10 point this morning?

28-Nov-17
Not unless you wanna hear the famous saying...................................... ;-)

28-Nov-17
I got this.....

Gun kills don't count!

no wait....

Bowsite?!

I actually figured the thread was started for gun kills before I even opened it.

28-Nov-17
BOWSITE?

28-Nov-17
No, it is for bow kills. Sorry for the inside joke developing. I know guys out east are still after them down there. Lot of guys hold out until after Christmas.

29-Nov-17
Sorry I jumped the 'gun', Art ;^)

Either way, here's a word of caution for future reference. A friend's niece killed a nice buck, double eye guard, split g2, drop tine, and it was stolen from the deer processor's. Maybe the buck of a lifetime. Gone.

29-Nov-17
From what I understand, the processor caped it out and layed it there and someone walked off with it.

29-Nov-17
Oh Lord....................................................how low can people go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just when you thought you've heard it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : (

If that happened to me, I would be contacting every taxidermist within 100 miles with a picture of that buck in case it is brought in by the perp! ;-)

29-Nov-17
I read an article in Game News years ago about someone setting their rifle on the antlers of a nice buck they just shot so they could take a picture. They buck jumped up and ran away and the hunter lost the deer and the rifle.

29-Nov-17
No prolem Jeff, I also have too much time on my hands. Maybe Roy and should get together and make bows. Just waiting for Saturday.

29-Nov-17
Heard it was taken from Schnur's. This person can't be too bright, hopefully it shows up at a taxidermist that knows the story.

29-Nov-17
Yes, taken from Schnur's. I heard someone already posted a picture of it on social media, saying HE shot it. That's hard to believe, but if true, that boy is a special kind of stupid.

30-Nov-17
Apparently the whole deer was laying on a pile of others at the butcher shop, and some scumbag headhunter cut the head off and took it.

30-Nov-17
Heard the same except that it was already caped and he just took it. Hope this girl gets her deer back. If you hear any more please post it. It does take a special kind of stupid to pull this.

30-Nov-17

Kirkus's embedded Photo
Butler County 12-point
Kirkus's embedded Photo
Butler County 12-point
Picture of stolen buck head Jeff is talking about.

Maybe someone has seen this being passed around and can help the young lady get it back

30-Nov-17
Even elicited an Editorial in the Butler Eagle

Too many already know it was Abby’s trophy deer

Let’s not assume the worst. Let’s go ahead and assume it was a mix-up, that someone mistakenly drove off from the processor with a trophy deer head that belonged to somebody else, not intending to steal it.

It’s a reasonable explanation for what happened on Monday at Schnur’s Custom Meat Market in Jefferson Township. Nineteen-year-old Abby Hiles of Karns City dropped off her 12-point buck, planning to have the head removed for mounting by a taxidermist. But someone took it. It was gone when Hiles’ boyfriend, Josh McGinley, returned later Monday to fetch the processed buck.

Opening day of deer hunting season is always an exciting, hectic day, especially at a place like Schnur’s, which processes upward of 70 deer on a typical opening day.

It was particularly hectic Monday morning, probably because warmer than normal temperatures increased the urgency to process the meat quickly and prevent risk of spoilage. On a cooler opening day, the hunters tend to stagger their drop-offs, making the processing a little less hectic, according to Schnur’s co-owner Joyce Schnur.

So, someone driving off with the wrong trophy head is plausible.

But here is what isn’t plausible: someone else keeping the head, having it mounted, and passing it off as their own trophy.

Hiles has an insurance policy against that scenario: photographs taken early Monday of herself posing with her fresh kill. The photos clearly show the atypical antlers of her trophy, the right antler with five points, the left with seven, including a downturned point near the antler’s base.

The photos demonstrate how antlers can work like fingerprints — each has unique characteristics.

One photo of Hiles and her trophy appeared on the front page of Wednesday’s Butler Eagle and the Eagle’s website and Facebook page. A second photo appears with this editorial. By now, thousands of people have seen the image of this deer and its unique antler spread.

Hundreds if not thousands of people are talking about this incident. Taxidermists would take special interest. They would immediately report this fingerprint rack to authorities if it should show up in their workshop.

So let’s suggest a logical conclusion. Someone mistakenly drove off with a deer head that belongs to another hunter. He or she might have entertained the idea of keeping it, but that plan is no good, especially now that photos of the unique antlers were widely circulated by the Butler Eagle.

The only graceful conclusion to this mess would be to return the trophy and admit the mistake, the sooner the better. No harm, no crime, no blame.

Let’s do the honorable thing.

30-Nov-17
Her uncle told me today that the thief removed the head from the carcass with a knife or saw... just the head. Quick and dirty. He didn't get the whole cape. All he wanted was the antlers. I don't believe it was an honest mistake. Anyone would know whether or not that was their deer.

He also said she was interviewed yesterday by WTAE Pittsburgh news station... so it was probably on tv last night.

01-Dec-17
Terrible, how can anyone think about doing that and feel good about it. Depressing to know there are people like this in our world.

01-Dec-17
Have YOU ever shot a big buck and then not be able to identify it??? Especially a rack as unique as that one??? NO WAY that was taken by mistake!!!!!!!

I hate to say it, but if it was taken just for the antlers(no cape), I doubt it will ever show up at a taxidermy shop.

Still can't believe anybody would stoop this low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01-Dec-17
Jeff Durnell, "posted on social media saying he shot it"? Got any more on that? Anyone else confirm this? (this and a couple other 'hunting' sites are the extent of my social media)

01-Dec-17
Vonfoust. I should have recanted that. It was what i was told, but apparently incorrect, as I heard later that he was simply reposting her pics, and didn't actually say the buck was his. The thief is still unidentified.

This is about the extent of my social media as well. No facebook, twitter, etc.

01-Dec-17
And now that there is no way to pass it off as anything other than stolen goods, the squirrels and porcupines are going to eat well this winter.

No way in hell that anybody who would do such a thing is going to own up to it, unless it's some dumb kid whose parent(s) are willing to make him face the music....

01-Dec-17
Jeff not a problem. Not being on social media I sometimes think things are going on around me without me knowing, sort of like when I was a teenager:) I really hope this girl gets that buck back, but since I hear it was actually on the news last night I expect this rack will be buried in the woods somewhere. What a shame. Would be nice if someone with the means/ability would get her a replica done.

01-Dec-17
........................or MAYBE when the guy realizes he stole it from a kid, and maybe feels some remorse, it will be dropped off anonymously somewhere. I think that is probably the best case scenario!

01-Dec-17
State Police are now investigating. There is a person of interest. (From Butler Eagle).

01-Dec-17
State Police are now investigating. There is a person of interest. (From Butler Eagle).

02-Dec-17
"Have YOU ever shot a big buck and then not be able to identify it???"

They seem to shrink after hitting the ground? ;)

03-Dec-17
Yeah, but the configuration stays the same- just smaller! LOL! ;-)

06-Dec-17
What gets me is that someone would do this,but not surprised and Trail Cameras could have been a cheap security system.This shop could have had a few of these hidden around to monitor things just for the deer season and this would either deter this or have helped in capturing the thief.Saw on news report they are possibly getting security system after this since the "honor system" they had finally failed.Hope she gets it back.

06-Dec-17
I talked to her uncle today. No word yet.

10-Dec-17
My wife said they had on the news this morning that she got the rack back. I missed it completely, anyone confirm?

10-Dec-17
Yes, WTAE(channel 4) showed her holding the rack. They reported someone dropped it off at the deer processor. No mention of who returned it.

10-Dec-17
Yep. She got it back. Good for her.

11-Dec-17
Good news.

11-Dec-17
That’s great! I had a feeling that might happen when word got out it was a kids! ;-)

11-Dec-17
Good..I hope they still investigate to find out who did this.

11-Dec-17
Story from the Butler Eagle:

Teen hunter has her missing antlers returned

Most people want new things for Christmas, but Abby Hiles, 19, of Karns City wanted something she already owned.

“I got my Christmas wish,” Hiles said.

Hiles received word Thursday that a set of antlers were waiting for her at Schnur's Custom Meat Market in Jefferson Township, where on Nov. 27 the head of a 12-point buck that Hiles harvested was stolen. The head features a unique rack with a downturned brow tine on its left side.

Joyce Schnur told Hiles that the head was taken by mistake and the person who had the head returned the antlers to the store, according to Hiles.

“They were taken by mistake,” Hiles said. “He didn't realize that he'd had them.”

Hiles said she retrieved the antlers, which were attached to a piece of the animal's skull, on Thursday from the market.

“We went and picked them up that night,” she said. “They weren't damaged or anything. My tag was still on them, and they were all intact.”

Attempts to contact Schnur Sunday were unsuccessful.

A few days after the head was taken from the market Hiles filed a report with Pennsylvania State Police, who were investigating. On Sunday Hiles said she contacted state police to alert them that the rack had been returned, and to ask that the department's investigation be called off.

“I'll leave it go,” she said. “It's done. It's over with. I got back what I wanted.”

State police did not return messages left Sunday seeking information on the investigation.

Having wanted the special buck's head for a shoulder mount, Hiles said losing the whole head wasn't ideal. But she said all that is needed for the mount are the antlers and some cape.

“The taxidermist I'm working with can still fix it,” she said.

The taxidermist Hiles plans to work with will be able to use unwanted cape from another customer to pair with the antlers.

The antlers would have been irreplaceable, said Hiles. Who added that she is surprised that they were returned.

“I never thought I'd see them again,” she said.

Hiles said she would like to thank local media outlets and those following the story on social media for their support and help spreading the word about the missing head.

“I'm still speechless,” Hiles said. “It's an overwhelming joy to have them back.”

12-Dec-17
Glad they were returned. But....he didn't realize that he had them? I heard he was posting them on FB or Instagram as his? You must be one he!! of a hunter to not realize you had this rack laying around.

12-Dec-17
Is deer or doe season still open in the SRAs?

13-Dec-17
So the girl's tag was still on the rack, the rack had a distinctive drop tine and it was taken by MISTAKE???!!! Not buying that at all! :(

13-Dec-17
NO..

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D: Sept. 16- Nov. 25 and Dec. 26-Jan. 27, 2018. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license. One antlered deer per hunting license year.

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) Statewide: Sept. 30-Nov. 11 and Dec. 26-Jan. 13. One antlered deer per hunting license year. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D: Nov. 27-Dec. 9. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered Only) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 5A and 5B: Nov. 27-Dec. 1. One antlered deer per hunting license year. (Holders of valid DMAP antlerless deer permits may harvest antlerless deer on DMAP properties during this period.)

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 5A and 5B: Dec. 2-9. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Statewide): Oct. 19-21. Junior and Senior License Holders, Mentored Youth Permit Holders, Disabled Person Permit (to use a vehicle) Holders, and Pennsylvania residents serving on active duty in U.S. Armed Services or in the U.S. Coast Guard only, with required antlerless license. Also included are persons who have reached or will reach their 65th birthday in the year of the application for a license and hold a valid adult license, or qualify for license and fee exemptions under section 2706. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide): Oct. 14-21. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 13. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C, 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 27. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS EXTENDED REGULAR FIREARMS: (Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties): Dec. 26-Jan. 27. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Military Bases): Hunting permitted on days established by the U.S. Department of the Army at Letterkenny Army Depot, Franklin County; New Cumberland Army Depot, York County; and Fort Detrick, Raven Rock Site, Adams County. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

• Sitka Gear