WV Mountaineer 28-Nov-17
sundaynwv 28-Nov-17
Outdoorsman 28-Nov-17
WV Mountaineer 28-Nov-17
sundaynwv 29-Nov-17
gobbler 29-Nov-17
Babysaph 01-Dec-17
27-Nov-17
If the wvDNR refuses to lower the buck limit Because very few people kill three bucks, why do they lower the doe limit when so few people kill three does? Any time we have a low buck kill, the answer is to cut back on doe tags the next year. Does the wvdnr know the average number of does taken per Hunter? Consequently, if they agree that lowering the doe limit to get more does the following year works, how can they argue the same wouldn't happen with bucks? Also, many times to achieve their doe increase, the limit is changed from three does per county to two does. So either a reduction of one works or it doesn't.

Can someone please clarify my confusion?

27-Nov-17
People want to kill bucks.

27-Nov-17
People want to kill nice bucks but most ordinary hunters have no idea how to make that happen.

28-Nov-17
IT isn't as black and white as you are making it. You know that too.

Total deer numbers are affected by birth rate. While total deer numbers aren't nearly as effected by male only deaths, they are highly affected by doe death. Theoretically, killing one doe kills two deer minimum. Killing one buck kills only one deer. Killing two does, you kill a minimum of 4 deer. Killing two bucks kills twp deer. Three does killed equals a minimum of 6 deer out of the herd. Three bucks equals only three deer. Basically, one doe killed doubles the loss of next years herds versus every buck. At a minimum.

That is why the DNR is so aggressive at reducing doe harvests versus buck harvests

28-Nov-17
So lowering the doe limit results in less does being taken but lowering the buck limit doesn't result in less bucks being taken? I'm confused.

28-Nov-17
one buck can breed several does one doe can only be breed once. With out does you don't have bucks. Less bucks is less detrimental to your herd.

I've not read one biological study saying you need more bucks to stabilize your heard but have read that less does will destabilize your heard.

Hope that all makes sense.

28-Nov-17
You aren't confused. You are trying to apply your logic to something that was never meant to be applied. Of course lower doe tags means less opportunity to harvest deer. But, only so many tags are going to be filled. Just like with buck tags.

From a management perspective, the only thing agency can regulate is opportunity. Not success. Not participation of hunters, weather, etc.... Just opportunity. And, when the herd is showing signs of being below target levels, opportunity gets cut. Oposite when it shows signs of growing.

I know the DNR saying that most hunters do not even kill a second buck, plus their harvest data supporting that, doesn't register with your agenda Cory. But, that doesn't change reality. I'm not being a wise guy either. But, in 4 years of this, the only data we have contradicts what you and others propose as the greatest thing since sliced bread. If harvest data suggested that the state needed to do a lower buck harvest for better health and hunting opportunity's, I'd be the first to get in line. Until then, it's just a want. Nothing more.

God Bless men

29-Nov-17
Regulate opportunity?

By giving bucks away but charging to kill does?

We have the northern half of wv with skewed populations and not enough doe kill yet we still do everything in our power to keep it that way.

29-Nov-17
Actually, does can be bred several times. Several studies show that up to 50% of fawn twins have different daddies. Those does aren’t as “pure” as they appear to be. LOL

01-Dec-17
You mean baby daddies? Lol.

• Sitka Gear