wishunter 29-Nov-17
wishunter 29-Nov-17
longspeak74 29-Nov-17
longspeak74 29-Nov-17
longspeak74 29-Nov-17
Trapper 29-Nov-17
longspeak74 29-Nov-17
27-Nov-17
I posted in the "Big Game" section, but also wanted to reach out to the local guys. I am planning my DIY Colorado elk hunt for next September. Have the unit, area, drainages, etc, picked out - so not looking for anyone's GPS coordinates! Just looking to share basic information such as hunter traffic, animal numbers, places to gas/supply up, bow set ups, etc...always nice to exchange ideas with Whitetail guys who head out West. Unit 71

27-Nov-17
hey 74, need more info. You living in a camper, motel or out of your backpack. That will determine a lot on what we will be telling you on gear. We backpack in, so we even cut our toothbrushes in half lol.

27-Nov-17
I'll be living out of my backpack, setting up base and spiking out from there each day. I had a trip planned for this past September, but drew my bear tag and couldn't swing both hunts!

27-Nov-17
Bryan, I will be heading to Colorado again next fall but will be quite a ways north of you. I am sure I will run into you this winter and we can talk at one of the shows you will be at. Jeff

27-Nov-17
Thanks Jeff. I hunted around Collbran (Grand Mesa) but wanted a change of scenery this hunt.

27-Nov-17
Cardio. Work on your cardio workouts.

28-Nov-17
Diet and cardio start Jan. 2nd! New site goes on the bow right after our season is done.

28-Nov-17
You are hunting what ? Whitetail . Elk . Bear . Muledeer ?

28-Nov-17
Ruger it says....I am planning my DIY Colorado elk hunt for next September.......

28-Nov-17
This will be an OTC Elk hunt

28-Nov-17
I cannot speak to that unit, but you had best have more than one drainage picked out.

As far as the backpack hunting, I am a fairly big guy and can carry quite a bit, but I had to get the pack lower than 35 lbs or I got too tired on the day-to-day hunt. That isn't a lot of weight so I wasn't entirely comfortable during the hunt (either cold/wet/hungry). It was always fun, though.

28-Nov-17
I've actually got several spots mapped out, best to have back up plans. My plan is to get past the road hunters and get fairly deep in, spike out each day.

29-Nov-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
I came across this picture from my last hunt. All basics which you can tailor to your own needs. 3 compass, GPS, extra batteries, 2 headlamps and a hand held flashlight, solar charged cell phone charger, black pepper, parachute cord, game bags, sleeping bag, garbage bags, water bottles, water purifier, emergency blanket, 10x10 sheet of plastic, Coffee Singles, rain gear, calls, first aid kit, needle and thread, sterno and burner, 1 pint stainless cup, dehydrated food, knife, spoon, food seasonings, individual water flavoring packets. backpack with water bladder, 5 clothes pins, waterproof matches and lighter, super glue and 1/4 roll of black tape.

I think I used everything other than my backup headlamp and emergency blanket.

29-Nov-17

wishunter's embedded Photo
Looking forward to my trip next year. I will start my cardio workouts right after the first of the year!

29-Nov-17

Looking forward to my trip next year. I will start my cardio workouts right after the first of the year!

29-Nov-17
That is a great photo Jeff! I can't wait to be back in the mountains either. Larry, are those headphones!?

29-Nov-17

longspeak74's embedded Photo

29-Nov-17

29-Nov-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Longspeak, yes they are sound amplifying headphones that I used before I got hearing aids. Don't forget a screw in for hanging your bow at wallows and camp.

29-Nov-17
I always keep a spare hook in my pack, for bows or lanterns. I use an old backpacking trick of wrapping duct tape around my water bottles too.

• Sitka Gear