CaptMike 01-Dec-17
Novice 01-Dec-17
ground hunter 01-Dec-17
Pete-pec 01-Dec-17
Novice 01-Dec-17
Pete-pec 01-Dec-17
Jeff in MN 01-Dec-17
01-Dec-17
Been trying all day to call in a deer since 7am. I guess we will do this in reverse order. Butcher, then register? I don't have the time to wait for the fix. I've tried calling it in, and online, and it says there's an issue, call back in 30 to 40 minutes, and sorry about the inconvenience. Just so you know, this tag will be punched, it may however be later than I'm supposed to.

01-Dec-17
My work (state) page has been down all morning too....

01-Dec-17
Would really be no fun to have to load it up,drive to a registration station and be told the system is down come back later.

01-Dec-17
If I loaded it up at this point, it would be in 3-gallon ziplocks lol.

Maybe we are getting rid of registration altogether? Just let your parents decide if you killed enough deer or not. Who better to make that decision, right? :-)

01-Dec-17
You don't use butcher paper?

01-Dec-17
It should be back up now btw....

01-Dec-17
I don't use paper. I ziplock everything. Yes, deer is registered. The 3 gallon bags are simply the quartered portions. I like to refrigerate it overnight, and then break it down further, grind, and make my burger/sausage blend. But yes, everything in ziplocks.

01-Dec-17
I prefer vacuum sealing, but that's just me.

01-Dec-17
I have a deep freeze. As fast as we eat it, there's never a freezer burn issue. Frost-free freezers are the worst thing ever invented. A good subzero manual defrost chest freezer is the best one to own in my opinion.

01-Dec-17
Pete-pec-

Good call on the freezer. The colder the better! If you can get one to go down to -10 or colder food lasts longer.

01-Dec-17
Pete, better yet, I'll decide for you.

01-Dec-17
The whole state online system must've been down earlier today. Luckily, it was back up and running right when I needed it around noon. Congrats on the deer btw Pete. Smoke pole or bow?

01-Dec-17
It said in the paper, WON, per the DNR, they do not care if you miss the 5pm deadline, just register the deer, they need the stats,,,,,, you will not get a ticket.....

01-Dec-17
Lol Captain!

Novice, muzzle loader. A yearling 7 point buck with its front leg shot right below the brisket gimped by with 3 minutes of legal shooting. I won't let a lame deer walk, if I have a tag. Pretty fresh wound, so no loss.

I own two Mike.

01-Dec-17
Congrats Pete. It'll eat. Shooting wounded deer isn't always easy, but is a responsible thing to do.

01-Dec-17
Thanks Mark. I've done it several times.

01-Dec-17
I put the quarters with bone still attached into what is called a box liner. Big thin plastic food grade bag you can buy at most real butcher shops. Then lay those on racks in the spare refrigerator over night and maybe most of the next day before cutting it up and vac seal the roasts/steaks. Put the trim meat in a much smaller food grade bag (also purchased from a butcher store or resterant supply store) to take somewhere to grind and make sausage.

Good luck with the registration.

• Sitka Gear