Johnny_Utah 06-Jan-18
Johnny_Utah 06-Jan-18
Bigfoot 07-Jan-18
Nocturnal 07-Jan-18
Ridge Runner 07-Jan-18
casekiska 07-Jan-18
Bloodtrail 07-Jan-18
01-Dec-17
Feels like the beginning of November! Plan on going out Saturday afternoon. Haven't been seeing much for daytime movement, and temps in the high 40's won't help, but the clock is ticking. Anyone else going hunting or is the season of bickering upon us?!? ;)

01-Dec-17
I have all 4 and 5 day weekends this month.

I'll be out Monday and all day Tuesday. Really looking forward to the cooler temps come Tuesday.

01-Dec-17

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
I'm currently golfing and then heading out with my son when he gets off school. What a beautiful day. I'm now glad I put in extra work hours so I could enjoy it.

01-Dec-17
Any tree stands still in the woods by Hoods Creek by either hole 2 or 3?

01-Dec-17
In a tree all day today. Saw 10 does this morning. Slipped into a stand over a bean/clover field. The last 4 were playing in the clover running from 1 end to the other and back at 1030 am. Fun to watch! Almost no hunting pressure on the farm. Just moved into the timber for the evening looking for Mongo :). Good luck to all!

01-Dec-17
I'll be out Wed. Then wait till the following week. Took off 4 days to hunt hard. Hoping to see some activity. Saw my biggest buck last year in Dec

01-Dec-17
I will be out all day Sunday then all day next Saturday...fingers crossed.

01-Dec-17
One last ML on Wed and maybe Mon depending on weather. After that grabbing the shotgun and going after grouse.

01-Dec-17
4 does in the field slowly working my way!

Then as luck would have the area flock of turkeys decided that it was time to "fly up".

Needless to say the deer, that I am sure have heard that a few hundred times, decided to high tail it. That's hunting....

Back in the morning!

01-Dec-17
Was out for the last 2 hrs today. Saw zero. Sunset was beautiful, though. Heard 1 shot. Guys were out on 3 neighboring properties and saw a couple others on the drive over. Funny, if license sales were down, definitely not representative of my area.

02-Dec-17
Tweed, #3 would be a good area for a stand but there are none in there that I can see. I'm sure there are one or two on the back nine along the power lines.

Collin and I saw a doe and jumped something on our way out last night. Brian and I are heading out now for a morning hunt.

02-Dec-17
Brian didn't make it out this morning so I'm on my own. At 6:15 my young orphan doe walked by at 5 yds. 6:40 I hear something coming from my right, get ready and wait. Out steps a nice young 7pt. Not a shooter for me but I'd have given Brian the green light. He gave me two for sure shot opportunities within 15yds. It's the first buck I've seen while actively hunting this year.

02-Dec-17
Now I finally have some bucktivity. A shooter just crossed the field and went into the bedding area. I'm going to pack it in for this morning but will be back again this evening and tomorrow morning with one of the youths.

02-Dec-17
Better late than never.

02-Dec-17
Saw a young six at three fifty last night . At four fifteen the big ten I've been waiting for come by . Offered a good shot . The only problem was his left side was broken off . It had three point's left . The right side was broken of three inch's above the base . I was bummed . Must have run into a car . Hopefully see him next year .

02-Dec-17
Was at my late season spot this morning in state land. About 8:30 a fork came though heading towards the creek,20 minutes later a spike came through. See 4 does and those 2 bucks. Going to set up a camera as soon as muzzy and antlerless are done. Hopefully some bigger boys are still around.

02-Dec-17
Heard that all 4 of our target bucks got shot during gun season. Went out and checked cameras - found that 3 are still alive and running...meaning that we actually had 7 absolute brutes in a 300 acre area. More hunting to come!

02-Dec-17
Had 3 doe pass behind me at 405PM tonight less than 35 yards away. Gave them a pass with hopes that a buck would be trailing them. No such luck tonight.

02-Dec-17
Missed the alarm for the am hunt and afternoon I saw ZERO!

03-Dec-17
0 last night. 0 so far this morning but I did just hear three shots in quick succession. I'm pretty sure a muzzleloader is not capable of that.

03-Dec-17
Crusader if your in the metro zone, there is really no ml season, regular season is still open to the 6th

03-Dec-17
Then doe kill 7th-9th

03-Dec-17
Don't bash me too bad, but I was impressed with this. Hunting the forest in Sawyer county, 4 days rifle and 2 days ML, I saw 14 deer. One for sure buck no shot. That was more deer than I've seen in quite a few years combined up there. I hope it continues. It was also good to see the new cuts up there, this will help also.

03-Dec-17

smokey's embedded Photo
smokey's embedded Photo
I have been checking cameras and it is looking mostly like nocturnal in my area. Not hunting the antlerless season since I have no antlerless tags and decided to do something else in ML season. Will be back out with bow after the antlerless season though. I am sure there will be more daytime action then. This is what I did Saturday night.

03-Dec-17
Wow beautiful shot.

What lighthouse is that?

03-Dec-17
Passed on a shooter 8 this morning - he busted his right side off and will without doubt be a giant next year if he make's it. Only deer I saw - about 7:05 AM.

03-Dec-17
Passed up a buck last night that probably would have been near 150" if his right antler looked like his left. Unfortunately, that right antler was about 14" long with a little fork at the end. Might this antler growth change next year or is he destined to be a morphodite?

03-Dec-17
Tweed, it is Split Rock in MN. The pic here looks terrible. The original is much better. I will have it on my website soon.

03-Dec-17
Didn’t see or hear any on public land in Washington county last night and this morning. Only heard 1 ML shot nearby. Saw 7 in one afternoon sit in that spot the previous weekend but nothing toting headgear.

04-Dec-17
Zero for two sits this weekend. Hopeful that the weather will change things. Talked to a guy that had two bucks chasing a doe last night. Saw an albino doe and fawn out by Pittsville in the Wood Cty forest driving around mid day. Kind of neat to see.

04-Dec-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Capt. Mike, I had pictures of this ones dad (maybe) for 3 years in a row and it always looked this way with the exception that the left side got bigger each year.

04-Dec-17
Thanks Trapper. I have seen a few younger buck's with similar looking antlers. Maybe I should have shot him? I must admit, as he walked by, I thought this guy deserves a break, he survived the "brown its down" attitude of the neighbors.

04-Dec-17
The local taxidermist told me nearly all bucks with drastically different antlers have previous shoulder injury (i.e. old broad heads) on same side. This is based only on his customers reports, no scientific data. One of my suburban hunting spots has a buck with a single antler every year. The homeowner hit him on the road 3 Years ago, ever since he's been a unicorn. This year he has 6 points on the one antler. He's off limits per her request. I would assume his genes are still the same as before accident so shouldn't affect breading? My hunt report is slow, very nocturnal now other than a 1.5 yo doe I took yesterday. She had a shot leg. Finally killed a deer with muzzle loader but would have preferred to keep her around a while.

04-Dec-17
CaptMike I've been chasing a deer just like you described for 3 years on public land. Maybe it's the history I have with him but if I was lucky enough to put him down. I would be one happy man. I only hunted that area once this year so I didn't see him. I saw him last year but he crossed the swamp 70 yards away. Maybe if I had a Xbow.

04-Dec-17
Noc, maybe I'll see him this late archery season. While I have neighbors that keep shooting till their tags are all gone, virtually none of them bow hunt so I'd guess he will be around.

Don't go to the dark side, you'll end up despising yourself!

10-Dec-17

Novice's embedded Photo
Dec 10 am stand.
Novice's embedded Photo
Dec 10 am stand.
Sat last night basically for late bow scouting and saw 2 right at dark. Assumed doe and fawn. This morning was nice, crisp, and quiet (except for me walking in.) Bumped a couple in dark on the way to the stand. No other sightings.

10-Dec-17
Nice photo,,,,, what county is that?

10-Dec-17

Peeps's embedded Photo
Peeps's embedded Photo
Here was my “strange side” buck from last year. Had pics for several years of him. Always had the messed up side but it his horns grew bigger each year.

10-Dec-17
Nice buck Peeps. Interesting character. GH, it's Shawano Co. That large rub in my other post is also in this picture. The area is like what you mentioned in the topo thread. I'm on a hemlock knoll bordered by a little creek with a small section of hardwoods on one side and swamp on the others. Funny thing is I rarely see deer in this spot (despite the sign) and have only ever seen a couple of small bucks cruising during the rut. Was about ready to give up on it, but now I found that rub. Curious to hear your thoughts on it. (You can pm me if you don't want to hijack the thread.)

10-Dec-17
Cool looking buck Peeps. What county if you don't mind me asking? I hunted on on our property in Pierce county that looked a lot like that one. He was a regular until he disappeared last fall.

11-Dec-17
He was taken in Vernon County.

11-Dec-17
The wife shot a huge doe last Saturday afternoon. That deer and two others further down the field stepped into the cut corn when she took the shot.

She reports gutting her deer and 4 deer walk out into the cornfield. Even better, before she was done a forked buck walked up on her as well.

Great night!

11-Dec-17
While my hunting ended at the end of ML season, I was still haunted by the unknown fate of a buck I wounded early Nov. I was fairly certain he would live but you never know until you see the deer again. It was the grey cloud that hung over my season as I also shot the biggest buck of my life. Today, he was out feeding behind the house. He has an obvious injury to the loins above the shoulder but otherwise looked healthy and was still carrying a very big body mass. Never fun to wound a deer but at least he made it.

11-Dec-17
down the road from my house, I was out for a walk,,,, doe came across the ridge, and a nice 6 pointer was on her but, she was running hard, and he was right after her,,,,,, today at 4pm

11-Dec-17

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
I've feeding the deer behind our home and noticed one buck has already shed his horns.

11-Dec-17
Hoot, fascinating to me. Some bucks loose their horns in December and others will keep them almost all the way through March!

11-Dec-17
Isn't putting the feed in a feeder illegal? Thought you had to just dump/spread it on the ground.

12-Dec-17
My son Collin bowhunted for a doe on my buddies property this past sat and sun evening. Sat we had two of them come directly behind our treestand but how it was situated there was no way to shoot that way. They crossed the fence onto the neighbors land before they were in a position to be able to shoot. Obviously we can't shoot over the fence so he was unsuccessful. The good news is my friend gave my son permission to hunt that land for a buck or doe the rest of this season.

I'm taking the new guy Big Brian on Thursday and Friday evening to our urban spot, hopefully a buck or coyote will read the script.

12-Dec-17
Rut - Thanks for the heads up. I did not know that. They are being fed on the ground now.

12-Dec-17
Hoot, I know you probably didn't take it this way. But I wasn't doing it to be pissy or anything. I seriously didn't know if yet another rule changed. I would have just sent you a PM on it. But I thought since the pic was on here, no harm.

12-Dec-17
Use of a feeder for non-hunting purposes is not illegal as longs as it is not "contained in or deposited by a feeder that is designed to deposit or replenish feed automatically, mechanically, or by gravity". (From the WDNR baiting and feeding regs). I think the trough is allowed.

12-Dec-17
Smokey isn't it also suppose to be within a certain distance from the house?

12-Dec-17
I find it funny that troughs are banned in Michigan (unless 100 square feet) and spin feeders are promoted by their rules. Complete opposite in Wisconsin. Both have 2 gallon limits and must be within 100 yards of house if outside if the hunting season. Yes I get annoyed by bait piles on public lands but I do enjoy a feeder to watch the pet deer at the cottage while eating dinner. Maybe a hypocrite idk but I really enjoy it

13-Dec-17
Thanks guys for the clarification. The feeder was twenty yards from our back door, just inside the forest. I'm feeding corn at the moment, but will be picking up a deer blend in the near future.

13-Dec-17

smokey's Link
It has to be within 50 yards of the dwelling and over 100 yards from a roadway posted 45 MPH or more. The limit is 2 gallons.

13-Dec-17
Northbound, you have pet deer? I have a good story on pet deer from this year M.L. hunting. I was on the private land that our deer camp is on the last Sunday of M.L. Not wanting to take a doe in the forest, I sat there to get one more. As I have a fat doe in my crosshairs, I hear the neighbor lady start singing "Here doesy doesy dosey, suppers on" and pouring corn into a feeder. Needless to say, I didn't shoot as I thought she would have a heart attack. I had two more come in after that, luckly for her, no bucks. The guy bought the land to hunt, he is going to have to let her know that this is why he owns it and he will take deer off of it.

13-Dec-17
My friends house up north, there is one doe who actually comes to the window and taps on the window, with her nose if the corn feeder is empty,,,,,, she lives on his property all winter, usually never farther than the yard..... comes back in spring with her fawns,,,,,,,

13-Dec-17

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
This is one of my lop sided racks. When he came in I saw the good side and thought the other side was a little weak. I locked in on focusing on the shot and ignored the antlers. When I recovered him I was surprised by how weak that side really was. I think this some sort of direct damage to that antler, not from an injury in a prior year. By the way, the buck on the left was a December kill, just not this December.

13-Dec-17
Yes Ground Hunter, I always thought that funny as well that Michigan required you to spread you feed over 100sqft minimum area.

13-Dec-17
Well one of them I named fancies so kinda a pet lol. Our cottage is on a lake with a few residents that always feed. One neighbor moved, and one died. I always liked watching them go through so I got a spin feeder(in Michigan) corn and oat mix. Yard I also have planted in clover and high sugar rye grass. Never have to cut the lawn, wish they'd do a nicer trim job on the hill thou. Whenever I go up I always toss a few apples. The one I call Francis and her fawns comes running to the yard when she hears my truck coming in driveway. I have some cool video but not sure how to post. She comes about 10 feet away and I toss the apples. If I toss my dogs tennis balls, she kicks them in discust. About 10 years ago there was a friendly one with a orange scarf on her neck, so I'm not the only one.

13-Dec-17
I checked with a retired warden I saw today in Rice lake and he told me a feeder is legal to use as long as it's not a broadcaster or gravity fed feeder. He's been doing it for years (before CWD and now that the ban has been lifted). I've seen plenty of feeders this past week around homes and cabins. Still questionable I guess. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket as most are in plain view from the road.

13-Dec-17
Headed out for some late season scouting and bowhunting in the northwoods. Finally have some snow and cold, hoping I can find a good buck to hunt over the next week or so. Week of muzzleloader season showed nothing on the cameras since gun hunting, hoping for a good hunt. Love being out this time of year, haven't been out all season with the bow yet. Too busy with elk hunt, grouse hunting and guiding wife and kids- nows my time. Should be fun. Will report back

13-Dec-17

I'm out today. Got to my spot at 3:30 so it's just a short 1 hr 10 min hunt but I want to switch my sd card anyway so I figured I might as well hunt first

13-Dec-17
I have to say I'm really disappointed. I found fresh poop and a nice rub in the treeline on the left side of my above photo. Put my camera out and didn't get a single picture. It took a blank picture at 2:38 this morning but nothing else besides me when I turned it on and retrieved it. I wish I hadn't even put it out there. Now I will not have as much desire to sit out there the rest of the season. maybe that's my sign to move to a different part of the property.

14-Dec-17
Was set up yesterday by 2. Snow was falling, something I've envisioned all year--to hunt in the snow. On the way in, kicked up 3 bucks together that were bedded. All 3 only had half a rack--2 spikes and the pretty nice 8pt that I passed up earlier in November. He was the buck I rattled in if any of you remember. So glad he made it through gun season.

On stand the only deer i saw was a small 4pt at 3:50 that walked by at 10 yards. Wow that was cool! Just something about when it's snowing and you see deer. Just magical to me. I'll be out again this afternoon trying to get a doe. I need meat!! And I really wana follow a blood trail in the snow

14-Dec-17
Just got back from rehab, saw 7 different deer either in the fields feeding or crossing into woodlots,,,,, Yes, weather breaks, cold and clear,,,11am majic time

15-Dec-17
Scouted most of day yesterday. All public land up north, set up a few stands - we will see how hunting goes. Not much on cameras, a few small bucks that survived, none of the older ones made it or are still in hiding. One half rack that shed one half in last couple days. Deer moving well yet, they are starting to migrate to winter yards. Broken record but lots of wolf sign, more than recent years last night walking out saw where pack came through over top of my tracks, looked like around 4 to 5- hope they move out now after hitting my scent. Will report back, hoping to not eat tag soup again...

15-Dec-17
I pulled one of my cams today and will go back and take down the stand Sunday. I have one stand left. The big bucks have not been around for over two weeks, may be taken out in muzzleloader season. The last stand has several bucks, four with one antler broken off from fights and one yearling 4x4 that gets a pass for sure. I would like some venison so maybe one of the half racks comes home with me. The good thing is that this stand is close to home so not far to drag out and drive home.

I have had a tradition of sitting on New Year's Eve, getting a deer is a bonus. It is just nice to be out there that afternoon. some years my tag is filled so I have not done this in a few years.

15-Dec-17
Good luck smokey. Your a late season king to me in the big woods. Keep it going my friend. I hope everything goes in your favor. Keep the reports coming.

15-Dec-17
Only turkeys for me tonight. Lots of tracks in the fresh snow. I'm thinking I need to go back in the woods further.

16-Dec-17
I should be working right now but my Buddy Brian has a bunch of new hunting stuff he's been dying to put to use. (Thanks to you guys!) We are in the part of the property that I shot a tree last year while trying to kill a buck. We have until 8 am to see if something comes by. It's been quiet so far.

17-Dec-17

We didn't see anything yesterday morning and I sat in an overlooked spot last night with no luck. It's 4:56 and I'm just going to finish my coffee and head back to the spot I was in last night. I only have until 8 am to sit again but I know I can't get one laying in bed.

17-Dec-17
Hunted all day yesterday. Saw 2 adult doe around 4 pm working way through new cut, few tracks but should be more. Perfect habitat and winter cover. Will try a different set today, headed out shortly just got done with church. Goofy east wind so will need to be a bit creative for today's hunt, no stands set for that. Will take the summit. Seemed to be moving early as several drag tracks crossing mine on drive out. Enjoy Aaron's return.

17-Dec-17

I didn't see anything this morning but I did have a very large track go over my track from last night. I really like that spot and am surprised I overlooked it for that long. It's the dot in the middle of the screen shot second from the top

17-Dec-17

I didn't see anything this morning but I did have a very large track go over my track from last night. I really like that spot and am surprised I overlooked it for that long. It's the dot in the middle of the screen shot second from the top

17-Dec-17
I had a forker come by the other day at about 4pm. Dropped the string at the same time he busted me. Was all of 10 yards. Loss my arrow under the snow. Didn't even touch the young buck. Lol

Having a great time though.

17-Dec-17

MrBones's embedded Photo
MrBones's embedded Photo
Had 2 come threw tonight. Used the Go Wild site for the first time this season.

17-Dec-17
Tweed, what are you shooting for a bow,,,,, 10 yards, man I like that..... where were you hunting

17-Dec-17
My old Pearson Hunter recurve that Craig gave me last year.

Hunted my local spot. Was the first time there since October.

Congratulations MrBones!

17-Dec-17
Nice work Mr. Bones! I attended the local snowmobile club meeting instead of going out this afternoon. Had to laugh as I drove back from the meeting at 3:45 and there's already deer out in the field 1 property away. Not surprising.

18-Dec-17
Well done Mr. Bones!

18-Dec-17
Congratulations MrBones. Now may we teach you how to use the gambrel properly?

18-Dec-17
Smokey....LOL LOL

18-Dec-17
Yes smokey! Please

18-Dec-17

MF's Link
Here ya go Mrbones.... skip the intro

18-Dec-17

Ranger620's embedded Photo
Ranger620's embedded Photo
Hunted yesterday from 1 pm to close. Observed one half rack fork horn make his way through at 310, that was it. He got a pass- hoping for a mature buck but they seem to be rare. Pulled cards in dark last night out of 4 cameras. One shooter, the rest spikes. A few fresh tracks over my tire tracks on ride out. Beatuful quiet afternoon in woods. Couple more hunts for the year left, cold snap next week should help if they keep there head gear.

20-Dec-17

Novice's embedded Photo
Novice's embedded Photo
Saw 6 tonight. Couldn't believe it. Too bad none was closer than 100 yds. Lol. Spooky as heck too. Oh well, can't complain since I saw deer.

21-Dec-17
Saw 3 doe and 3 bucks last night.

22-Dec-17
Heading out here shortly for the evening. Not expecting much since the camera shows only 10 pm to 4 am pics. I have to get out a couple times late season though, don't care if I see anything or not.

22-Dec-17
I've been keeping peace at home, Planning on hitting the woods December 29th until the end of the season, we will have the cold but not as much snow as I would've liked. How much snow is on the ground by you Novice?

22-Dec-17
they were moving around 2 already. One was standing right where I park. Pretty thick where I am, they will be close

22-Dec-17

Live2hunt's embedded Photo
Live2hunt's embedded Photo

22-Dec-17
I am having late season withdrawal since I don't have a buck tag and not wanting to take a doe. I've not walked our woods since I'm still trying to get survivors on cam. Can't wait for shed season.

22-Dec-17
Sat in my truck tonight, watching 2 fields, where the north boundary of woods I have permission to hunt,,,, saw 29 deer, from 410 to 440,,,,,, Now mark this in your book,,, there is a reason I saw a bunch of deer yesterday pm, and today......

Yesterday was the shortest day of the year, followed by today also,,,,, darkness comes quickly, and that has always triggered movement, in the notes that I keep,,,,,

too bad I could not hunt,,,, I glassed them all no horns, and there were a few big ones,,,,, maybe some sheds already.....

22-Dec-17
No deer tonight, time for a nut brown ale from Ashland

22-Dec-17

Novice's embedded Photo
Sled and boot tracks
Novice's embedded Photo
Sled and boot tracks
Novice's embedded Photo
Something got shot
Novice's embedded Photo
Something got shot
Novice's embedded Photo
Death bed from what I could tell
Novice's embedded Photo
Death bed from what I could tell
Trapper there was at least 7" from the storm last week and another 2" from last night.

My plans changed and I did a quick one hour scouting trip for hunts in the next 2 weeks. I was rather disturbed when I came across tracks from a sled. I followed them aways. They came from the neighbors property and went onto the lease I'm on quite a distance. I figured I knew the reason for a sled, but it wasn't confirmed until I looked in my own boot tracks (as that uncovered what was under the new coating of snow.) I texted the owner of our lease immediately. He knew nothing of it and never got a call for permission to go on their land (which would have easily been granted if asked for tracking purposes.) I did accomplish some scouting, but got caught up in trying to figure out what the heck else was going on. Hopefully, it wasn't a trespass (actually killing it our lease) or poaching situation.

23-Dec-17
back out with the truck tonight, different farm, but not far from yesterday, 9 deer in field by 4pm chowing down.....

a friend today, passed on 2 bucks,,,,, wanted a doe, but not close enough,,,, deer putting on the food bag, prior to cold weather coming in,,,,, watching that barometer will help when you want to hunt,,,,

of course for many, hard to get away, during the holidays, but in my area, they were moving well,,,, by Tuesday, they will all be down for several days........

23-Dec-17
Groundhunter why do you think they'll be down for several days?

23-Dec-17
I found a new parcel that was recently enrolled in mfl. 10 acres. Nice area. Did a little scouting walk to see if it's promising for next season. Ended up walking up on 2 does and 3 fawns. 3pm. Couldn't belive it as crunchy as snow was. Found 2 nice ladder stands decided to sit in one until dark. Had 4 more baldies come through right after 4. At last light a really nice buck came following my tracks. Velcro on my binos ended that direction of travel. Not sure if I should be calling this a hot spot or just a day with good movement

24-Dec-17
Just got back from my walk, now I can go in the woods,,,,, man they were active last night, heavy feeding,,,,,, set out 2 trail cameras...

Noc - I only say that, because when extreme weather hits, the feed heavy ahead of it, and conserve energy during it,,,, if they do feed, it will be right off the beds,,,, some believe that a deer has to feed every day,,, I do not believe it, based on scouting and observation,,, but that is my opinion, scouting and hunting areas, that are void of food plots and bait, just natural forage.....

when the weather breaks, they are up, especially mid day, if that sun is out,,,, watch that barometer, I watch that, and rely on that, especially during late season, trying to sit, on optimum day.......

24-Dec-17
Got in my stand at 3:30 PM, as it covered a cut corn field food plot. Like clock work the deer started to enter the field at 4:30 - first three does. As the largest of three passed at about 20 some yards....I shot.

I could see the that the left front leg was being favored as the trio shot across the field and into a woods and down a ravine.

I waited till close and two more deer, minutes after the shot entered the field from different sides. They appeared nervous and didn't stay long.

About 100 or yards or so...I found my quarry. Pass through and a heavy blood trail. Very, very enjoyable hunt!

Merry Christmas to all you fella's.

24-Dec-17
Congrats BT. Well done.

24-Dec-17
Spot on GH. Unfortunately, my next chance to go will be during expected lull. Congrats BT.

24-Dec-17
Shot dec 17 at 410 pm. I spent 63 days in the same stand this year . That nice buck i shot ( 9 point 160+)was never on the camera until the morning before I shot him . I have always figured that if I stay in one place long enough ( getting old and lazy ) something going to come through . This buck was on cameras 7 miles away .

24-Dec-17
BT how many is that this year, your on a roll,,,,, Upnorth, what county?

24-Dec-17
Upnorth-pics?

25-Dec-17
Ground Hunter...on a roll? That is "one" LOL - a bit embarrassed...

25-Dec-17
Oh BT I must have been following that wrong, anyway, nice to get a late season deer,,,, Merry Chirstmas this am, just waiting for the invasion of my house, ha ha

25-Dec-17

upnorth's embedded Photo
upnorth's embedded Photo
Took 26 years to get him .

25-Dec-17
Great deer Bob, congrats....

25-Dec-17
Now that is a classic photo,,,,,beautiful big woods brute,,,, Merry Christmas to you

25-Dec-17
Good looking deer Up north

I'll be out this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon.

Tomorrow will probably do two short sits. One from 1-2 then go warm up some place then go back for the last hour.

25-Dec-17

upnorth's embedded Photo
upnorth's embedded Photo
Good luck . If you get one I suggest don't pull him by the antlers . We didn't go 10 feet and I had one in my hand . The taxidermist fixed it I pick the rack up Wednesday . Here's a picture around 11 hours before I got him .

25-Dec-17
Congratulations upnorth - beautiful trophy! You should be very proud! ...so the antler came off when you began the drag, that adds character to the story of the harvest. Maybe you can tell the whole story on this forum, am sure a few fellows would like to hear it. Again, congratulations.

25-Dec-17

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Me and the little lady on a December kill - cold, but fun!

25-Dec-17
Great late season critters, gents! Something about getting a deer in the December snow that is always memorable. Congrats

26-Dec-17
Other than 4-5 days of the "rut" this is my favorite time of the year.

Cold weather moves deer - I have one buck on camera that I'm willing to let fly on.

Your right Duke!

27-Dec-17
Nice Bloodtrail! That thing looks like a tank! Went last Friday, public land in Adams Co. Saw 0. Last night in Wood, 0. Pulled a card this morning and had very little on it. I love late season, and will probably get another hunt or two in, but I'm not very optimistic.

27-Dec-17

Novice's embedded Photo
12/26/17
Novice's embedded Photo
12/26/17
Sat the last 2 hours last night. Bitter cold, even in the enclosed stand I sat in. Don't think I would've made it in the wide open. Kudos to you that did. This was a special invite, but does are off limits here. Saw at least 12 (6-7 in range) does and fawns. Great watching them in the snow. More deer than I saw in one sit all season (including the all day sits)!

27-Dec-17
will be hunting Thursday and Friday in southern Clark w/ my son and brother. Should be moving heavy to 2 acres of corn we have left. Always a challenge since we don't have much for tree stands near it so were ground hunting. Last year this field was soy beans and my brother had a giant come past w/ 5 does and busted him at full draw.

27-Dec-17
You guys still hunting are hard core. The though of gutting a deer today would be enough to keep me inside.

27-Dec-17
The good thing about gutting a deer in weather like this is that it warms your hands up....five minutes later though the suffering begins.

Like Inmyelement said: "You guys still hunting are hard core." ...and very dedicated. I give you all a lot of credit. Way to go!

27-Dec-17
Sun I had deer everywhere about 410. Had one doe come within ten yards while itook a knee. Gotta love sno camo. Was really there to observe for next season (new mfl land).

Monday eve sat one of my suburban spots with to many deer. Deer where very active earlier than normal. As I draw on one big doe my arrow falls off. Knock still on string. Here the cold must have shrunk the knock but not the carbon arrow. 2 more in my quiver where also loose. 3 more came past without good shot opportunities

Yesterday eve sat on a property I'm considering leasing next year. Found a nice gun blind to observe from... not a single animal to be seen. Tons of fresh tracks. Thinking noon was the time yesterday....

Starting to realize I'm sick in the head for even going to hunt properties in this cold I have no intention of harvesting on this season.

As said before gutting in this weather is kinda nice on the hands actually. However I'll likely be doing the gutless method on any more suburban harvests this season.

29-Dec-17
Have to make do with the time I have. So, battled the elements again this afternoon. Sat not far in, where I found quite a few tracks last week. Just as I was getting ready to call it a day, I heard something coming. Couldn't believe it was already only 35 yrs away. I had been watching intently and don't know how it just appeared. It was a small buck. Only the 3rd time ever I've seen a buck on this property in the late season. He got a pass. Ended up being a nice sit.

30-Dec-17
Shot a doe last evening in the bitter cold. She was one of a group of 6 that walked thru. First harvest of my season. 2017 was pretty tough. Spent all day today processing and packaging. My fingers are still tingling......

30-Dec-17
maxrack - Congratulations on the doe. Gotta give you fellows who can brave this sort of weather a lot of credit, and then to be successful! That's dedication all the way around. Hope you enjoy the venison.

31-Dec-17
Congrats maxracx. Definitely a feat in the bitter cold. Still hoping for a successful hunt this coming week. Time's winding down and it doesn't appear the weather is going to change much.

31-Dec-17
If I had to pick my days, it would be Tuesday and Friday and Sat this coming week, and all of the next week,,,,,, pressure is low, winds are calm, and temps are going up to be tolerable for long sits,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

31-Dec-17
I'm done for the year, it's too cold and I haven't seen nearly enough action to justify freezing my ass off. Congrats to those still out there.

31-Dec-17
I've had cameras out a couple different spots on public. All movement by cameras at 4:30 am?

31-Dec-17

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
Very excited for the next 4 days, I'm going to strap these on, pull some cameras that have been out there since the Muzzle loader season, will take pictures and post here from Northern Bayfield County.

31-Dec-17
My friend shot a doe fawn this morning, from the ground,,,, saw 7, and some big girls,,,, no bucks, or horn drops ......... he saw a nice buck the other night, prior to the real cold

31-Dec-17
MF-Getting out on the snowshoes sounds like a blast. That's not happening in the Sheboygan Area any time soon with maybe an inch of the white stuff on the ground. I'm looking forward to seeing some late season trail camera photos from your area. Hopefully, you'll see some survivors. How much snow in your neck of the woods?

01-Jan-18
It depends where you go...the Barrens area has a ton, cant even drive on the unplowed roads anymore unless you have a snowmobile. Other areas can be done but would be tough walking without snow shoes or X-Skis.

01-Jan-18
MF. Any Deer left in the sand river area?

01-Jan-18
Thanks for the snow update, MF.

03-Jan-18
My buddy called this am,,,, saw 7 does and 3 bucks yesterday out on the log jobs,,,, deer were in the area feeding at 2pm,,,,,,,, he checked one of my spots, said I had 3 heavy trails converging,,,,,, he said your natural ground blind looked good, just added some fresh cuttings to it, he brought in from his house......(we never cut anything out of the NF) and this blind was built last spring.......

Leaving tomorrow after rehab, could care less how cold it is, I am hunting..... Period

03-Jan-18
Good luck ground hunter !!! I pulled cameras down New Year's Day between 2 of us we had 8 cameras still out, about 75% of bucks we had around have shed there antlers for the year that we had been getting pics of. Saw a few deer up and on there feet all day long as we were pulling cams n stands. A couple observations, fewer fawns around this year than last, very few mature bucks survived gun season and last winter, seems to be a lack of age structure on bucks the last 5 years. Not sure why, overall hunting pressure is down some- winters have been easier. Not sure if it's predators preying on older run down bucks or more getting harvested with x bows, or more guys harvesting younger bucks with limited anterless tags a few years. Definitely trending downward on age structure- hope this changes. Might get out this weekend one more time but as always enjoyed the time in woods, expectations remain low in forest and Florence county.

04-Jan-18
Good luck ground hunter! I also am heading out for the final weekend. Hunting Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

04-Jan-18
Happy I regained permission near my home for a late season doe. My season isn't over just yet. Going to try and arrow a big doe in the metro zone. Good luck to everyone still grinding it out.

04-Jan-18

Wi Bowyer's embedded Photo
Wi Bowyer's embedded Photo
December 22nd 4:15pm Marquette County

Good luck to the guys still hunting!!

04-Jan-18
Way to go Bowyer.

04-Jan-18
GH.. better late than never, good luck. If your close to your cabin the deer where moving alot this weekend just north of you between 9 and two. We had 2 by our cottage monday with white paint splatter on them. If you see anyone armed with paintball guns thank them for not using red paint, I would have been real confused then.. still not impressed thou

05-Jan-18

Novice's embedded Photo
Where the deer were
Novice's embedded Photo
Where the deer were
Has been a full week since I got to sit out. Seems like a month. With 20 min to go, I heard something in the crusty snow. 1 doe and 3 fawns working their way towards me. They didn't follow the playbook, but the first fawn headed out on a trail crossing 25 yrs from me. I waited for the others to follow (unfortunately downwind), but mom decided she didn't like something. She came into the open further away and blew a few times. The first one continued to browse for another minute, but eventually went to mom and they all took off. Oh well, at least I saw some.

05-Jan-18
Tick Tock!!!

2 days left gentlemen! I was out for a sit tonight and saw a BIG fat ZERO! I still had a blast!

06-Jan-18
If you haven't been able to get out much during late season you should consider giving it one more go! I've been sitting from 2-5 all week, non-stop rut action. FDL county public. Camera's are picking up a lot too, mostly younger bucks and half racks but there are a few gems still roaming. I had an encounter with what would have been my biggest buck yet two nights ago. He was chasing, nose to the ground, I couldn't get him to stop. My brother filled his buck tag yesterday at 8am.. public land. Still grinding! Good luck!

06-Jan-18
Correction. Not quite 2-5pm. I pack up 20 minutes after sunset.

07-Jan-18

Bigfoot's embedded Photo
Bigfoot's embedded Photo
enjoyed my last day of deer season(for our area)........watched it go down in sight about 50-60 yards from my treestand......leg was back when i shot but still more forward then i'd prefer but it got the job done..............the 2 straight weeks of below zero weather can stay gone as well(though i know it wont)

07-Jan-18
Way to get it done Bigfoot. Big congrats

07-Jan-18
Congrats Big foot ! I also filled a doe tag this afternoon .Pic on Jan hunt report Lots of deer tonight

07-Jan-18
Great way to end the hunting season. Congratulations...good eating ahead!

07-Jan-18
Ridge and Bigfoot - nice jobs - good looking deer!

• Sitka Gear