sundaynwv's embedded Photo

01-Dec-17

03-Jan-18
Now I am not saying this to be a smart rear-end but did you see the grade Indiana had with hunters ? I even found that a little shocking. When was the last time you were there and what did you think? If you read down thru all the states there is quite a bit of dissatisfaction with all states. I have heard others say good things about Indiana not just you so again it was a little surprising.

05-Jan-18
Jay, I bowhunt in Indiana with Tim Reed, have for several years. It's private property on the Illinois border and we do all our own scouting, hanging stands, etc. Where we hunt we see enough bucks and does to keep it interesting. Like anywhere weather and timing plays a major role in how the hunting goes. I've not seen a buck all day then next sit a half mile from where I hunted the day before I'll see 6! I'll have a camera out and get 500 pictures with 4 or 5 shooter bucks (125 or above for me) and when I sit the stand with the right wind, approach, and so on and I'll see zip! I can't say what the buck/doe ratio is but it's way better than where I hunt here in WV. My guess would be 1 to 5 more or less. It's 1 and done as far as bucks but you can take 2 does if you buy the bundle license. We see lots of 2-3 year old bucks, and some older deer throughout the season. We try to get out there at least 2 or 3 hunts for a week each. It's major agriculture with beans and corn everywhere, and the woods are mostly all hardwoods with oak and hickory so the deer are heavy. It really has everything to make it a very good hunting property. I didn't get involved in the score your state. If I did I'd give our Indiana place a B+ and here in WV a C- The problem with grading by state is one county or even a portion of a county can be super and elsewhere in the state or county it stinks for a number of reasons (Disease, overkilling, poorer habitat, lack of access, etc.)

05-Jan-18
Understand and thanks Fred - just ran into an old friend who has started a guiding service out in Missouri on 3700 acres and he has invited me out some time - going to be checking into it. Stay warm!!!

05-Jan-18

David Mitchell's embedded Photo
David Mitchell's embedded Photo
My son lives and hunts in northeast Indiana. He has a number of excellent properties he has permission to hunt and has consistently gotten outstanding bucks on his cameras. This is a buck taken by one of his friends....not too shabby. Indiana has better deer hunting than we have here typically due to the much greater amount of agricultural land and the feed it provides for the deer.

05-Jan-18
Great buck!

05-Jan-18
Jay d,

Many Hoosier hunters are upset with the liberal doe seasons and doe opportunities. I would also guess that bowhunter might not be happy that rifles were recently made legal.

Any time I hunt Indiana is phenomenal. I see.more there in a week than a lifetime here. I am hunting a different part of the state from Fred. I am usually very near the Ohio River.

06-Jan-18
Real nice buck. Mt friend hunts Indiana all the time. They have some nice bucks there

• Sitka Gear