Farmer 09-Dec-17
David Mitchell 09-Dec-17
Wvfarmer 09-Dec-17
Wvfarmer 09-Dec-17
hookman 10-Dec-17
bow shot 10-Dec-17
bow shot 11-Dec-17
04-Dec-17
Looking for good intel, so I though I'd ask my WV Bowsite brethren...

I'm born and raised NY, and am considering taking a job (if the offer is made) in WV, but I have no real boots on the ground information on your beloved state. I've been eye-balling WV, KY, TN for many years, but haven't had the opportunity to break out of left-wing liberal wack-job infested kook land (NY, obviously) till now. I've been to KY many times for work so I have a pretty good idea of what the state is like. I know folks that visit TN a lot, so I think got that ok too. But I got nothing on WV. I've done the googling, but its just that.. I'll take anything you want to tell me about. Geographic areas to focus on or avoid, politics, demographics, hunting, general personalities in different areas.

04-Dec-17
Do not let all the negative things you see on here deter you from taking advantage of a great,beautiful state with so much outdoor opportunities. The negative stuff is just a lot of good people venting about people and things that takes away from the wonderful place that we have. West Virginia pride is a real thing here and we will fight to keep it ,so welcome to you sir.

04-Dec-17
Better economy in north central and eastern panhandle. Lots of various outdoor ctivities from rock climbing, whitewater, etc.

What's your profession?

04-Dec-17
There’s good and bad just like anywhere else but I think the good outweighs the bad by a landslide. Different parts of the state offers different things. A lot of the state is rural. Your occupation may dictate where you can live. We do have a good interstate system so most places(not all) can be reached with a reasonable drive. We have good deer hunting , good quality Deer are localized. Good bear hunting can be found except the far NW part of the state, northern panhandle, and the eastern most county of eastern panhandle. Decent population of wild turkey throughout the state . Good trout fishing throughout eastern mountains . Good bass, musky, walleye, panfish, and catfishing I’m larger rivers.

Again, a lot will depend on your occupation as to where you can find employment. Just remember to order your hot dogs with chili and slaw if u don’t want to be looked at funny LOL

04-Dec-17
Job wise the eastern Panhandle is a hot spot right now. Proctor and Gamble is opening soon and providing quite a few job openings and there is a ton of residential construction going on as well. We are close to the Baltimore and DC area if you like to visit the big city life as well. Again - I would agree with others that the type of employment you are looking for would be the key.

05-Dec-17
Hookman is right. We all bitch to each other but I feel we are like family on here. You know sometimes you bitch at the ones you love the most because you can. This is a great state and you are welcome here and anyone here will help you. P.S If you want a great place to hunt go see gobbler. He as a wonderful well managed piece of property and caters to guys looking for 160 or better deer. :)

05-Dec-17
LOL

05-Dec-17
I am waiting until next year to go to gobbler’s - he promised me a 180plus! I don’t know - maybe he told me to do a 180 when I got there!

05-Dec-17
He meant 1-80 inch buck.

06-Dec-17
LOL , which is LOL spelled in a 180 degree turnaround

07-Dec-17
Ok, late for class like usual, sorry bout that! Too much OT, too many chores.. and in the tree once too , so please forgive, lol! Thanks kindly for the replies folks.

sundaynwv: I'm looking at Engineering jobs, That can be for Test (for electronic devices) Manufacturing or Quality. Right now I have a hit in Buffalo, near Charleston but that may turn out to be a dud for all I know.

Other than the pervading gloom cast on our population by our magistrates, and by winters that can sometimes be very long, very cold, and very deep, I love NY. Like WV, hunting and fishing can be good on one block, and poor on another, same with the people. We are only behind California as far as stupid gun laws.. and that's a barometer to me.

What is the word on political climate? Taxes?

Though I was raised very left-wing, and spent 10 years as a classic rock musician (yes, dope and booze) , I became a christian 30 years ago and am very right-wing, very old fashioned. Would I "not fit" as a WV?

Thanks for the welcome folks!

08-Dec-17
WV was a traditional Democratic State however has seen a shift toward Republican in last several years. We have voted Republican in Presidential races since around 2000. Our Governor ran and was elected as a Democrat then switched to a Republican after about 6 months. Our 3 Federal House members are all Republican. We have 2 Federal Senators, one Democrat and one Republican. For the first time in 80 years we currently have a Republican State House and Senate. In a nutshell, WV has turned into a fairly strong Republican State in a relatively short period of time.

Although most don’t like taxes I think taxes are very reasonable especially compared to a state like NY. There are some areas where our tax structure could be better and more business friendly in my opinion and I think the new Republican Congress has made some strides in that direction. Our property taxes are low compared to most places especially the NE corridor of the US. We passed some additional taxes on gas and vehicle registration this year to be used for new road and infrastructure upkeep and maintenance.

You sound like you would fit in just fine. WV is one of the most pro-gun states in the union. The vast majority of WV people are good people that would give you the shirt off their back. Of course, as with anywhere there are a few bad apples.

Good luck, take a mini-vacation and come down and take a look and see what you think

09-Dec-17
JR tell him about your hunting camp

09-Dec-17
You would fit in just fine. :o)

09-Dec-17
Bow shot. Take a look at Iook at OrbitalATK in Rocket Center, WV (near Cumberland, MD) for engineering positions. We are a defense contractor and make all sorts of products for our military including tactical rocket motors, warheads, electronic bomb Fuzes, 25mm and 30mm medium cal ammunition, 120mm tank ammo and composite structures. I’m an operations director at the plant of about 1600 people. I have been at the site since graduating from Virginia Tech with my graduate degree in 1992. We have openings for engineers in the areas you have descibed.

I was born, raised and lived my whole life in WV and echo most of the comments that others have made. It is a great place. I type this sitting on a snowy log with my muzzleloader in Greenbrier County, WV

If interested let me know and i’ll Do what I can. I’ve been a long time follower of this site but never posted so I thought it was time and potentially helping someone out seemed like a good start.

09-Dec-17
Bow shot. Take a look at Iook at OrbitalATK in Rocket Center, WV (near Cumberland, MD) for engineering positions. We are a defense contractor and make all sorts of products for our military including tactical rocket motors, warheads, electronic bomb Fuzes, 25mm and 30mm medium cal ammunition, 120mm tank ammo and composite structures. I’m an operations director at the plant of about 1600 people. I have been at the site since graduating from Virginia Tech with my graduate degree in 1992. We have openings for engineers in the areas you have descibed.

I was born, raised and lived my whole life in WV and echo most of the comments that others have made. It is a great place. I type this sitting on a snowy log with my muzzleloader in Greenbrier County, WV

If interested let me know and i’ll Do what I can. I’ve been a long time follower of this site but never posted so I thought it was time and potentially helping someone out seemed like a good start.

10-Dec-17
Looks like you may be checking on a job at Toyota plant in Buffalo. I am about 20 miles from it.

10-Dec-17
Thanks for the replies folks, very much appreciated. Ahh, I forgot about your Governor switching to Republican... wow, we were rejoicing when we heard that up here, especially since he seems waay better than may of the rinos that show their colors as soon as they step into office.

Gobbler, I am very seriously considering taking a trip there, and thanks kindly for the excellent intel!

Wvfarmer, I will very likely dig into OrbitalATK tonight when I get home, I like anything defense oriented. Both of my sons are vets, and my Dad landed at Normandy and fought all the way to Germany. 'so thanks very much for that!

hookman: Yup Toyota. One phone interview so far, but I never get my hopes up, or hold expectations for... anything, LOL! We'll see what happens!

11-Dec-17
Pm to you WVfarmer. Don't worry I won't keep you long...

• Sitka Gear