Bloodtrail 17-Dec-17
Kman43 17-Dec-17
Drop Tine 18-Dec-17
raspy old hen 18-Dec-17
Trapper 18-Dec-17
Live2hunt 18-Dec-17
Hoot 18-Dec-17
07-Dec-17
Damn! It was supposed to say, What does it mean? Most of our handles are self explanatory, but is there an underlying message? Mine? I've been a Trapper most of my first 40 years on earth and hope to get back into it in 2 more years. Paid for my 3 hunting properties and 3 new vehicles on revenues during the 80s heydays of $10 rats, $40 coon and $100 fox. What's your story?

07-Dec-17
My rank in the Army when i retired

07-Dec-17
I like to hunt rutting bucks and spring gobblers.

07-Dec-17
Cheif, Why is the E before the I ?

07-Dec-17
Well apparently the army didn't teach me to spell haha ill have to fix that

07-Dec-17
LOLOLOLOL

07-Dec-17
Hopefully that fixes it thanks

07-Dec-17
My oldest son goes to Racine Lutheran HS and we are the Crusaders. I should change it to Horlicker next year since my oldest graduates and my youngest goes to Horlick HS. Casey will know what I mean:)

07-Dec-17
I live to hunt, fish and trap. I lump them all together as a form of the hunt. It burned in me since I can remember.

07-Dec-17
Longs Peak is a 14'er in Colorado...74 is my birth year.

07-Dec-17
I had 5 hounds at the time I joined, their names were Race, Robyn, Reed, Ridge and Rickie, all started with R...so Fivers. I had 5 again, for the last 2 1/2 years, until my old one died a couple of weeks ago...but I'm not going to change my handle to Fourrs or Threers when I lose a dog and don't replace them for a while.

07-Dec-17
I used to own an Ithaca Deerslayer and I like to shoot deer, so I chose the name. I also like the band Slayer and deer hunt so that is another reason.

07-Dec-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
2016 Milwaukee Tweed Run
Tweed's embedded Photo
2016 Milwaukee Tweed Run
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
I like Tweed....its the true sportingman's attire.

I also used to organize a local October fun ride called the Tweed Ride.

07-Dec-17
Shane- that HS has the best nick name. So much better than our school spelled backwards.

07-Dec-17
Full Throttle Whitetails Archery Club, 10 members who compete in a big buck contest, archery shoot, then at the end of the year we get together for some friendly ribbing, dinner and drinks.

07-Dec-17
LOL. I never even thought of that Casey! For everyone else, Casey and my hs spelled backwards would be Krap. Good thread and I'm looking forward to the rest of the responses.

07-Dec-17
My handle is two part cryptic. The first part, "case", honors the WI pioneer bowhunter Roy Case who took the first b & a deer in WI in the modern era of archery. The second part, "kiska", was the name of the first model boadhead he designed and sold and the model he used to take that first deer in 1930. I am not related in any way to the Case family.

07-Dec-17
Back in '99 when I first joined Bowsite I did so to gather some info on my first elk hunt in New Mexico. I started a thread asking some general questions and as a way to be humble and self-deprecating I referred to myself and my 3 hunting buddies as "4 dumb cheeseheads and chose the handle "Mike the Cheesehead". Had I known what Bowsite was going to turn into I might have chosen a handle that didn't make me sound like such a dork. Several years ago I commented on a thread that went way off track and everybody who commented on that thread got banned. After pleading my case and being allowed to return I had to use a different handle so it became "Cheesehead Mike".

07-Dec-17
Tweed, Monty Python used to have the Twit race, is this race the same?

07-Dec-17
Nickname I got from people after I opened a archery , taxidermy shop called Swamphole Archery .

07-Dec-17
My thread above did not print in it's entirety, I do not know why. It should have continued.... However, I did have the privilege of meeting and visiting with Roy Case at his home on a number of occasion back in the 1970s & early 1980s. I came to have a great deal of respect for him and what he did. He was, and remains, truly, the father of modern day WI bowhunting. I just choose my handle to keep his name at the forefront of WI bowhunting and I am thankful now to be able to explain it.

07-Dec-17
love to brook trout fish... started using it playing online texas holdem years ago. Now I use it for most online forums I visit.

07-Dec-17
Nothing cryptic in mine...musky fishing and chasing bucks.

07-Dec-17
I grew up in a neighborhood that nicknamed everyone. I also hunted and fished, just like Ted Peck who had an outdoor article in the local Gazette. I became Pete-pec because of that, even though Ted is an absolute buffoon. It was the three initials I used when attaining high score on any video game at the arcade. I have a few friends from that neighborhood that might not even know my last name lol?

07-Dec-17
About 8 years ago, I changed mine because of the wolves "taking over" my hunting area near Drummond.

07-Dec-17
Mines pretty easy. I'm old and use to duck hunt heavily in the fall. Switched now to bow hunting in the fall.

07-Dec-17
when I started out on this site, I typed in "Razorhead" since that is what I shot for a bh,,,, somehow, it did not go thru,,,, then I typed in "ground hunter" since I do so much of it,,,,, well razorhead, stayed,,,, however recently ground hunter, came back,,,, this was after a computer glitch at home..... go figure

07-Dec-17
For those who haven't yet read Bill's book, the first deer shot by bow in WI was a moving target if I remember correctly. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Bill. I could look it up again but don't feel like walking downstairs.

07-Dec-17
My initials and year of birth!

07-Dec-17
Mike F, kind of self explanatory.

Lot's of neat answers! Thanks for sharing

07-Dec-17
CD - Yes, correct.

07-Dec-17
I took the name as I felt it was indicative of what everyone here wants to eventually see.

07-Dec-17

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I bleed blue. Specifically Yamaha blue. Gave it up 6 years ago due to injuries though. Surgeries are expensive. Hunting is not.

07-Dec-17
I go north every chance I get. Currently on 43 northbound heading to upper Michigan for a long weekend

07-Dec-17
My dad was called Hoot and I've been called Hoot for a very long time and I've also been called other things too. LOL Hoot comes from the American Rodeo star and old silent movie cowboy Hoot Gibson for those of you that are ancient like me and might remember that.

07-Dec-17
I have a collection of Ruger 1022's . Started with a 1967 Canadian centennial. My # 1 1022 is a mannlicher with amazing wood on it . I traded for it in 1982. Gave up a Nazi Walther 22 youth model for the Ruger .

My gun dealer buddys said I gave up too much. But I had the last laugh . The guy I got it from died in 2003 . His family was cleaning up his paperwork & mailed the auction paperwork to me . The 1022 was given to John Wayne by Bill Ruger with the Matching 44 carbine .

:-)

07-Dec-17
Ranger Rick because I'm sponsored by Ranger Boats. I had my guiding booth at thr MN. Muskie Expo and always wore my Ranger shirts. A lady working a booth across the isle from me started calling me Ranger Rick even though my name is Gregg. The name stuck.

07-Dec-17
I was captain of the 2nd string sophomore bowling team.

Actually, I am a charter boat captain and that is what most of my clients call me.

07-Dec-17
Started here as Crowndip as ALL of my arrows have been so treated. Ripped the rotator cuff in my left shoulder in '02. Damn thing got an infection from the OR and almost killed me three times in the following year. Laid up for most of a year so changed it to Lame Crowndip. I have found out that 54 pounds will kill anything that walks in North America and probably don't need nearly that much.

07-Dec-17
I have a deep seated passion to hunt wild turkeys in Wisconsin as well as Georgia, New York and Nebraska. I have introduced a number of people to chasing those birds. One year I took 3 men that had suffered heart attacks the year before and a turkey hunt was on their bucket list. They were successful. I prefer mouth calls over box calls, etc..

07-Dec-17
Some folks seem to forget that "does are deer too!"

07-Dec-17
I eat a lot of tags but still look forward to being in the woods any chance I get regardless of the outcome. So with self potty, I’m 0 for a lot.

07-Dec-17
As elk hunting is my favorite endeavor and a rutting bull sometimes makes a sound that is call a glunk, hence the handle. My wife was not impressed when she found out glunker was my choice.

07-Dec-17
My two daughters nicknames combined. Chief, thanks for your service. Greenleaf5, what's your 20 good buddy? Lol

08-Dec-17
Started out as trapper in the early days of bowsite. Had to lose touch for awhile some things were more pressing. Joined back up and a there was another fellow bowsiter same handle. We contacted via pm or post. Went to monster since thats the wheeled bow i bought that year!

08-Dec-17
Real name is Luke... Took on the nickname of "Duke" by some of my best friends playing ball at North Dakota in the '90's and it has stuck since then.

08-Dec-17
I love grunting at bucks and hearing them grunt. So I thought the name Grunter was appropriate. Neat thread

08-Dec-17
Like the constellation, I am an archer, large and the darker it is, the easier it is to look at me.

08-Dec-17
33 years with the US Forest Service. I held several positions early on but most of my career was in fire management.

BTW, "THE" is not Smokey's middle name.

08-Dec-17
Just a Dr Seuss fan from a very young age - "sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple"

08-Dec-17
Some of these are really original. Greenleaf5 can take over my role as our resident pot expert. I'll pass my torch to him.

08-Dec-17
Nothing special here, I was bouncing back and forth between a heated debate bowsite topic (before i joined) and different you tube videos of broadheads. Trigger words that kept reoccurring....bloodtrail (taken), wound channel etc... Some really neat handles on here, I've never been clever when it comes to that type of thing.

08-Dec-17
I'm waiting for Rustywreck to pop in here again. He disappeared while he was building his outhouse. Not sure what ever became of him?

08-Dec-17
Me either!! ^^^^ "I've never been clever when it comes to that type of thing"

08-Dec-17
Being a early December baby I was thinking of using Sagittarius (the archer) but at the time it was taken. Always liked big old droptine bucks and after lurking for a while I didn’t see anyone using that so.....

08-Dec-17
You're guys's reasons are a lot better than mine. grossklw is the beginning of the email I was given in undergrad, have no idea why I kept the stupid thing. Pretty much everyone just calls me Luke, or Grossy depending on the crowd (Grosskreutz is a rough last name).

08-Dec-17
Mines boring. Picked mine from my most valuable possession, my wife always reminds me of. it is after my boat another bad habitat I have-

08-Dec-17
1984 Trans Am was the first "fun" car I ever bought with my own money. Finally got rid of it last year to make room in the garage for all the kids stuff, man how life changes:)

08-Dec-17
L2H, Jeff might know what happened to Rusty. I almost want to say he had fallen ill or something. My memory is poor, though. I enjoyed his posts, especially complaining about his neighbor and the snowblower.

08-Dec-17
Novice, Jeff, or I think Smokey stopped in there and talked with him. He said his bathroom was a 5 gal bucket in his house. He was starting to build an outhouse or something and then vanished.

08-Dec-17
South Farm is derived from a lake in the Boundary Waters, near Ely, named from the fact the Ojibwa Indians planted their crops there...along the southern shore there is still a grassy opening existing as remnant of their farming days, but most of the area is covered in pine, balsam, and popple. Lived there, played there, and, up until a very large group of unscrupulous border hopping cheddar-heads took over the area, hunted there!

(Caveat, before you get your undies in a bunch, I was born in Wisconsin and own land there, so no offense, just tongue in cheek guys!)

08-Dec-17
"Konk" nickname given to me by a co-worker 33 years ago, now he owns the company and I still work there.

08-Dec-17
The name of my first born is Reggie. That was also my nickname growing up. So I am Reggiez-pop

08-Dec-17
Mine is a play on my name and high school football number from 33 years ago. I only have to lose another 52 lbs to get down to my playing weight.

08-Dec-17
Nothing clever for me, just love the WI badgers athletics.

08-Dec-17
I like music. Most of it.

08-Dec-17
Mine comes from a old timer that used to chew tobacco plugs. His blaze orange and boots were always covered with tobacco spit. His cb handle was boot spit . I really learned alot about life from him so I chose to use his cb handle.

09-Dec-17
Just the name of my dog,and my all time best game bird to hunt.

09-Dec-17
My buddy started calling my Buck Watcher about 15 years ago. Since I watch 15-20 different bucks walk by every year, I "Can't be a Buck Hunter". He even snuck a big sign in one of my blinds that said - Watch them walk then buy BEEF.

11-Dec-17
Lots of good stories there guys. Thanks

11-Dec-17
Mine came from a nickname my first bowhunting mentor labeled me as a deviation of my last name. The nickname never stuck to me and was never used by anyone else but him to refer to me. I chose it as a tribute to this mentor. This mentor also called me by Helgeland, but this is too close to well known bowhunter for me to use as a handle.

11-Dec-17
Growing up, my summer would spend the summer at out lake cabin (only 11 miles from out regular house... weird) The property was called Aushegun .... I've used that name for decades because it is unique, and starts with an A. My other most common screen name DAMPland (and my old one here) was an acronym for last names of the 4 original owners of my hunting land. We still refer to that property by that acronym today nearly 50 years later.

11-Dec-17

Ranger6's embedded Photo
Ranger6's embedded Photo
When I joined I was an Airborne Ranger Company Commander. Six is the numerical designation for Commander in the Army. Now I am a Colonel and have Commanded at several levels but it just stuck.

11-Dec-17
I like chasing bunnys. My beagle hound is named Jakes. When he was a puppy and opened up on a hot track I began yelling Go Jakes Go to encourage him. Guys started using my GJG handle over our cb channels when they needed to reach me.

11-Dec-17
Trapper - Good idea! This is a cool thread, we all are learning about our fellow forum members. Very interesting info here. I'm thinking this thread will be around for a while...and around...and around...and around!

12-Dec-17
Thanks for your service Ranger6!

13-Dec-17
Yes, Thanks Ranger6!

13-Dec-17
Yes Sir, thanks for your service. As a Ranger, and I assume career military, do you know of any use of the bow & arrow in our U.S. armed forces? Special Forces...Seals...USMC Recon...Rangers...any others? If so, can you provide any details or info? In advance, thanks.

13-Dec-17
Yes Sir, thanks for your service. As a Ranger, and I assume career military, do you know of any use of the bow & arrow in our U.S. armed forces? Special Forces...Seals...USMC Recon...Rangers...any others? If so, can you provide any details or info? In advance, thanks.

14-Dec-17
@ Casekista Sorry I have never heard of anyone using a bow and arrow in modern times. They did have a range set up in Iraq and bowtec send us some bows to shoot for recreation. Sorry the Rambo movies of the 80s looked cool but no we don't use bows in the Army.

14-Dec-17
I'm just crazy about guns, always have been. What, that doesn't make a lot of sense...

17-Dec-17
Well it use to be ELKAHOLIC until till several of us got booted by bowsite a few years ago arguing with a certain someone. So logged on as ELK ELSEWHERE for a while.

Just kept the name since when i elk hunt they seem to be elsewhere anyway!

Ahhh......the good old days

I bet not many here even know what a firle is now days, anyone?

17-Dec-17
I still have a Firle pelt in the freezer if anyone needs it .

17-Dec-17
Elk, there are still plenty of us around that know about firles. I didn't see any of those this season, however.

17-Dec-17
The dinosaurs know ; )

17-Dec-17
Always hated the "firle" thing - sorry

17-Dec-17
Ranger6, Thank You Brother

18-Dec-17
I cut a Firle track just the other day. Funny thing was it was following a Sasquatch track in the snow.

18-Dec-17
I enjoyed the 'firle' sightings and constant banter as to who had seen the biggest one. It was like mines bigger than yours!

18-Dec-17
If I remember correctly, MN Jeff had the most sightings.

18-Dec-17
Oh ya, the firle invasion. That was a pretty good one.

18-Dec-17
Ranger - A huge Thank You for your service!

• Sitka Gear