Paul@thefort 08-Dec-17
Treeline 09-Dec-17
ColoBull 09-Dec-17
Glunt@work 09-Dec-17
ColoBull 09-Dec-17
ColoBull 09-Dec-17
ColoBull 11-Dec-17
08-Dec-17
A friend of the family manages a large ranch. The owners don't condone hunting so it's over run with deer. Fawns & yearlings often get tangled in the fences and break a leg and have to be put down. The manager says it's something to do with the fence design. Regardless, it happens every 2-3 months. The first time it happened, he called the division and they said they could come out & dispatch, & then he could dispose as he saw fit, or he could just dispatch & dispose. He's been digging holes with a back hoe & burying them. He tried to call me on the last one but I didn't get back to him before he buried it. He's again offered the most recent one to me, for a share, if I butchered it. So I called the CPW & they said he needs a "predation permit". I won't risk my hunting privileges for anything - I suggested he call again & request a written ruling, or the predation permit. Meanwhile there's another yearling out there hobbling around on three legs, suffering. He'll put it down the next time he sees it & SSS if he can't get a firm ruling from CPW. Kinda frustrating and wasteful. 'Any ranch managers that can share their experience in such matters?

08-Dec-17
The CPW regional office can issue special Depredation License, if shown that deer/elk are damaging crops. I believe these licenses can be applied for by hunters through the land owner, or given to hunters to killed a number of animals. I know of two places in Colorado concerning with pronghorn and deer that these licenses are issued if the situation arises and the ranches applies for them. The licenses are, I believe, hunting season specific.

09-Dec-17
CPW takes a harsh view on that. I could go into lots of detail on lots of separate issues over the years dealing with CPW on wounded or injured animals on private land.

We would call them and they might or might not show up. Then, when they did show up, they typically would do nothing about it except to warn us from doing anything at all with the injured animal or they would write us a ticket.

Really sucks to watch an elk that has been hit in the back end by a car lie around and finally die after days of suffering.

09-Dec-17
Thanks. The landowner doesn't condone hunting & will only allow the foreman to put down injured animals, so me shooting one is out of the question. I called the CPW again just to see if they would reinforce one ruling or the other. 'No surprise, there was a third response. The guy went all "CSI" on me - wanting to know my name, my CCI, the Foreman's name, the ranch name... saying he couldn't tell me anything until I provided that info. I got frustrated and hung up. The day before the guy who told about the predation permit hadn't required any info. 5-10 minutes later the 2nd guy began calling back, having traced my number. He called back 4 times in the next 20 minutes. When I finally answered I got ( same voice - same guy) "Mr ( Smith)"? ... "yes"...Click. Aaargh - my tax dollars paying for harassment. Sheesh, 'just trying to do the "right" thing. I can see the guy getting suspicious when I refused to give up any info but I'm a stubborn old coot. I wouldn't be surprised if another call yielded yet another ruling, but I'm done with them. The situation will probably end up "let nature take it's course" or SSS. Thanks again guys - 'sounds like more of a hassle than it's worth - what a waste ( unless you're coyote).

09-Dec-17
Sometimes doing things by the book and doing what's right don't line up.

09-Dec-17
Amen. The local Co Sheriff's office animal control confirmed that an injured deer, put down by on private property, only requires a permit from the CPW, and his understanding was that the process had been streamlined - request online & printout, pics to document. I do think I'll see about having the last CPW contact "talked to" ( informally) about some of his behavior. It was so nice to talk to someone reasonable, with actual local experience. He said the Sheriff's, Police & Fire Department would be more than happy to accept venison processed by an individual. Good Kharma!

09-Dec-17
Not too surprisingly, I got a visit from a CPW officer today - investigating the matter. Now they are going to go harass the ranch foreman and make sure he isn't running a poaching operation. Good grief - my tax dollars at work. Amen, again Glunt. FYI side note - they ( or the ranch foreman, with a permit) can put down an injured deer, and then issue another permit to any recipient to keep or donate any meat ( with a donor letter). At least the guy was really nice and didn't go Rambo on me... but what a PITA overall. I'm going to crawl back in my hole now.

11-Dec-17
The "investigation" has been closed - "no wrong doing, just inquiring about the proper procedure for putting down an injured animal". As I said above, the proper procedure is to contact the CPW first, & then they either come out & dispatch the injured animal, or perhaps issue a permit for an individual to do so (if they are too busy to respond in a timely manner). A "road kill" permit can be issued, which opens the door to the next option - a "Permit to legally process & possess", which can be written on the spot if an officer responds. It can then be legally be (processed) consumed, shared, or donated - any combination. While most food banks require commercial processing, local law enforcement agencies & the Fire Department will often accept donations of individually processed meat (must be accompanied by a letter of donation - similar to the hunting regs - stipulations based on the quantity ( weight) . Donor letters should include the permit to possess # ). They ( local agencies) may eat some of it, but the bulk it is most often passed on to families in need as they see fit. Obviously the CPW may want to investigate that there is no wrong doing going on but in this case it ended up being brief & fairly painless. 'Hope this helps anyone who ends up in a similar situation. The CPW guy ended up being very nice, very understanding in this case. The Ranch foreman ( & I) now know the most current proper procedure.

• Sitka Gear