ColoBull 30-Jan-18
RDHunts 06-Feb-18
Treeline 06-Feb-18
KHunter 07-Feb-18
DarrylDunsloppy 14-Feb-18
Jaquomo 14-Feb-18
11-Dec-17

Ckapp22's Link
I thought I saw a thread about the wolf reintroduction presentation that was up in Steamboat but I couldn't find it. I thought one comment from the attached article was interesting.

"Malone countered by observing that, wildlife officials in Idaho and Montana report increased hunter success since wolves were introduced there."

Can anyone speak to this? I was just curious how success could go up? Regardless of the predator, either more human or wolf or bear, wouldn't success go down as more "predators" are competing for the same prey? I can understand how disbursement could potentially increase by not having such large concentrations in a specific area, but I could also see an argument that disbursement on public land could potentially decrease as you would have to assume most wolves would be living/hunting on public land and not primarily on private. (thats assuming a rancher or landowner would either SSS or use other means to keep wolves from their property.)

Any thoughts from anyone who was at the meeting? Whats the next steps for decision making?

11-Dec-17
I kinda like the part about "redistribution". Being a public land hunter, the thought of wolves pushing some elk off of private land has a certain appeal. But that's about it. I can & do relate to all the other objections, but that horse got out of that barn, all on it's own, quite some time ago. We hunted the Medicine Bows around the year that the first collared Wyo wolf was tracked into Colorado - must have been 15-20 years ago (?) The wolves apparently didn't want to wait for the SC memo. They are already here, and have been for quite some time. If you ask me, the SC already missed that bus and is just trying to generate funds and publicity.

11-Dec-17

Grasshopper's Link
Are you referring to this meeting?

http://www.theheraldtimes.com/reintroduction-of-wolves-to-colorado-is-the-topic-of-dec-7-sierra-club-meeting-in-steamboat/rio-blanco-county/

If you look here, you can see the comments of Denny Behrens. It sounds like there was opposition. https://www.facebook.com/biggameforevercolorado/ If you read his comment, any reintro would require legislative approval.

11-Dec-17

Grasshopper's Link
There is also this article

11-Dec-17
We had an update in a meeting today from the regional CPW manager and the local game management guy that controls the predators professionally and they stated that the pro wolf presenters (Sierra Club) pushing this, that the Yellowstone area study shows roughly 70% predation of the Elk. So 70% loss of our 277,000 elk is acceptable to the pro wolf nuts.

11-Dec-17
They don’t care if the wolves kill 70% of the elk because that’s what wolves are supposed to do. But when we want to hunt them for some reason that’s not ok because we can go to the store and buy our meat prepackaged.

12-Dec-17
I'm all for it! But not in my part of the state. So how about doing your wolf reintroduction where you are. I think Boulder or Denver city park would be a good place to start. Then lets see how you like it! City slicker wolf lovers make me puke!!!

12-Dec-17
I'm all for it! But not in my part of the state. So how about doing your wolf reintroduction where you are. I think Boulder or Denver city park would be a good place to start. Then lets see how you like it! City slicker wolf lovers make me puke!!!

12-Dec-17
One of the biggest factors for these people who are a part of wolf introduction is they are awarded grant money to do so, at the tax payers expense. If one were to look into it I'd bet it's millions of dollars awarded and no one audits them on expenses. That's why RMWP is ran by a bunch of lawyers.

12-Dec-17
The Sierra club lady who presented in Steamboat is from Redstone, not Boulder or Denver. I believe that is Garfield county, population of ~58,000. Rural and "resort town" Colorado have more than their fair share of Sierra club types, with large bankrolls.

12-Dec-17
"Rural and "resort town" Colorado have more than their fair share of Sierra club types, with large bankrolls."

Yep, and for many it's only a part-time or vacation home, they don't really live there. We did some work for one of those in Aspen a few years ago, who lived 9 months of the year in NY City, but considered herself 'all colorado'...she was a nutcase!

12-Dec-17
Just playing devils advocate, and honestly because I haven't looked into the truths about the whole wolf debate enough to say if im for or against it:

1.The 2nd link that Grasshopper listed says that a reintroduced population is able to be managed. A migrating population that comes naturally is considered a endangered species and cannot be managed. Any truths to that? If so, wouldn't we rather have a management plan available as an option rather than no plan at all? I mean if they are here or coming one way or another, I think we would all rather be able to hunt them than let them walk freely.

2. Right now we as sportsman pay 1 million+ dollars each year in game damage claims to ranchers and landowners. I personally would rather pay a rancher for sheep that a wolf ate, rather than pay him for hay that the elk ate because he doesn't allow hunters and they know its safe.

3. I dont know exactly the habitat we are looking at here, but would wolves be a possible "solution" to our wild horse issues? Maybe two different habitats that dont support wolves, but maybe two birds with one stone here? Get a huntable population of wolves that generates revenue from license sales, reduce wild horse populations naturally without taxpayer dollars, increase the quality of habitat for elk and deer in that area as well.

4. I already mentioned my "redistribution" thoughts. part of me thinks wolves would only push more animals to private property but I could also see that the wolves are going to go where the elk are, so if the elk are on private, that means they would be hunting them on private and pushing them off. So perhaps more of a localized, area by area factor there.

5. I think its fair to say some of us would like to cross wolf hunting off the bucket list..As long as the wolves were turned over to be managed like every other predator and game animal..and still brings in tag revenue, is it all bad?

Again guys, not advocating for wolves and not trying to say they are 100% bad, just trying to have a constructive conversation so some of us guys who dont know the facts can form an opinion based on solid data, not bias information. I am probably more of an elk hunting junkie than most, so believe me if the wolf is truly a detriment to our populations, then im 100% against it too. But..if they are coming one way or another, like they have in many of the other states, we might as well be proactive and get a workable plan in place rather than be caught with our pants down.

12-Dec-17
Chris, in a blue state like CO you won't live long enough to see wolf hunting by licensed hunters, no matter how many wolves there are. Look at the struggles WY, MT and ID are having.

My only first-hand experience with them was this year in WY. A pack moved into a drainage I was hunting and had scouted and the elk went away. Like, totally. Then they moved to the next big drainage and those elk went away. Game and Fish biologists were in there trying to figure out how many there were. When I did finally find elk to hunt they were so far back in and so scattered that I wouldn't have been able to get one out on foot of I did manage to kill one.

Am I thinking selfishly? Hell yes. I 've contributed a ton of money toward elk management and conservation and hunt hard, work hard all year round to live on elk protein. If I can't enjoy the same benefits as these federally-protected, artificially-stocked Canadian predators, as in hunt year round on private and public with no restrictions, then I don't want to have to compete with them. They don't contribute a nickle toward winter range or migration corridor habitat preservation. The people who love them don't contribute a nickle either.

Wolfies are dying to get them reestablished in CO as a lever against hunting. With our fragmented habitat it will be a serious mess and will wreck big game hunting in many areas. It's not like they can be trained to stay in RMNP, and as we learned up north, whatever constitutes "recovery" is a political concept, not biological.

12-Dec-17
There is no room for wolves in Colorado. Colorado has about the same sq acreage as Wyoming or Montana or Idaho. Add up the population of WY, MT and ID about 3.5 million. Population of Colorado 5.5 plus million!! There is no space left!!!

277,000 elk %70 reduction 83,100 elk left.

A wolf was killed by a car near Idaho Springs, and it was the only one in the state!!!

12-Dec-17
The wolves introduced north of us were introduced as endangered, we finally got wolf management - what? 25 or so years later?

CPW already has a wolf management plan, it doesn't allow hunting.

If you want to hunt wolves, you don't even need a license to cross the border into wyoming and hunt them in the predator zone. Please do it so they don't come here.

Interestingly - While legislation would be required, The Colorado legislature has an animal welfare caucus. It was chaired by Steve Lebsock. If you have been following the news, I believe one of his accusers is the HSUS rep from Fort Collins. This caucus was up in arms last session about the CPW study that plans to reduce lion and bears to see if it has a positive impact on our ailing deer herds. You can bet the wolf project folks will be there this session pushing wolves. Last year, the animal welfare caucus room was packed, and the sportsmans caucus had less than 10 sportsman in attendance.

While some are discussing the impact on elk, the deer herds could be seriously harmed with another predator on the winter range.

12-Dec-17
Hopefully they are all car magnets.

12-Dec-17
Wolves eat 20 elk per year, per wolf. If we had a population like Montana of 500 wolves, that would be 10,000 elk per year. Thats double what bowhunters harvest and elk don't buy tags, stay in hotels, buy gas, groceries, gear, or read the regulations on where to hunt, when to hunt or antler restrictions.

Its already like pulling teeth to get something on the plus side changed for bowhunting in Colorado, imagine what it would be like when we have a new player that hunts 24/7/365 and takes double what our slice of the available surplus is.

I actually supported wolf reintro when it first came around. Then after it was too late to go back, they increased the minimum numbers. Then WY, ID & MT hit that new number and it was still many years and many lawsuits before they were allowed to manage them. I will never support wolf reintro in Colorado. Not because I hate wolves, because we would be crazy to welcome the Federal over-reach and damage to our successful wildlife management.

When the plan was 10 breeding pairs and 100 total wolves in each State, I was ok with the reintro to the North. Fool me once...

13-Dec-17
Thanks for all the replys guys. I also wanted to share part of a PM I got from someone who I consider to a very trustworthy and an unbiased individual when it comes to hunting and conservation. Interestingly, his words echo much of what everyone here is saying: While it may look good on paper, litigation and red tape prevent any meaningful control of the wolf populations in WY,MT & ID. It would be no different here in CO.

"Do they impact deer and elk numbers? For sure. That is what wolves do, they eat deer and elk.

Wolves become a great excuse for every person who fails to fill a tag. It is almost comical what wolves get blamed for.

All that said, I am not in favor of wolves being reintroduced anywhere under the current laws and remedies provided to litigants. The mechanisms that would provide state management are currently all in favor of those who do no want state management authority. Once the wolves are on the ground, the lawsuits begin and the only animals not managed are wolves, allowing the wolves to grow unchecked.

I trusted that the deal in MT/ID/WY would be honored. It was not. The states had to finally go to Congress to get the management authority that was promised them in the original reintroduction agreements. None of those mechanisms have changed and Colorado would be subject to the same lawsuits that delay or deny management authority.

I wish it was different, but it is not a balanced manner in which wolves are asked to fit into any landscape. The other species take the brunt of the impact while the lawsuits continue in what seems perpetuity."

13-Dec-17
If you think it is hard to draw a Moose permit now wait until we have Wolf population to deal with as Moose seem to be at the top of the menu for Wolves.

13-Dec-17
Like Rock mentioned, WY had closed it's best moose unit due to cow/calf ratio being zero. Another thing to think about, the mention of all the problems that these other states went through to just get where they are now for wolf management will be triple that here in Colorado as we have become almost as liberal a state as California, let that one sink in! Sorry to say guys unless you fight this at a federal level, with laws suits, wolf introduction is going to happen here in Colorado.

13-Dec-17
If you have republican control in one of the legislative branches, any legislation is unlikely IMO. This is where Cattlemen, sportsman, farmers, and outfitters band together for a common cause.

13-Dec-17
If the stress that shed hunters put on elk in late winter is a problem for the health of the herd, then I can only imagine how wolves would impact the herd.

14-Dec-17
"If you have republican control in one of the legislative branches, any legislation is unlikely IMO." If that were the only route, look what happen in NM, NM said no wolves, so the FWS introduced red wolf anyways, FWS said they had the authority to do so.

14-Dec-17
If a wolf attacks or eats a family pet of one of the Sierra Club types, or even worse, one of their kids, "maybe" they would change their minds.

14-Dec-17
Stix, unfortunately that isn't the case because they believe wild predators occupy a higher moral ground.

I read a blog this summer from a "famous" granola-muncher who said he would rather be killed and eaten by a grizzly than cause it discomfort by spraying it.

14-Dec-17
Lou, was that a relative of Treadwell??? We all know how that turned out for him and his girlfriend, (who was a nurse and friend of my Doctors).

19-Jan-18
Kill em' ALL! If you see one kill it!

20-Jan-18
S.S.S

22-Jan-18
Almost every valley in Colorado has ranches and surrounding the ranches is winter ground for elk and deer. So wolves will go for the easiest meal, cattle. Where there are "sick!" deer herds are in major cities. DOW did a study in boulder %80 + of the deer tested positive for CWD. Put the wolves there. Colorado Springs has hired snipes to cull the deer populations. Put the wolves there.

Evergreen colorado has resident elk herds that live in the neighbor hoods. Right on the golf courses, the grounds crew will be shoveling and mopping up blood and remains from the courses. Put the wolves there.

Rocky mountain National park lots of elk, they live in Estes park, a town. Put the wolves there. Im sure the wolves will respect the Park boundaries and stay in the the park.

2004 a collared wolf was killed on I-70 a major highway when practically no wolves were in colorado????

Wolves are already in colorado and in established numbers. Falsely introducing more wolves so they can get killed on the highway, shot by ranchers, shot by hunters. If some one really cared about wolves they would not put wolves into a meat grinder here in colorado and those people have no respect for them at all.

The lady that spoke in steamboat has a house around aspen, she lives there 2 months a year. Not one rancher wants wolves in colorado. She wants to bring in a problem, let it loose and then leave all the working people to clean up her shit storm!

People in the front range want wolves, they drive up I-70 for the weekend and recreate in the mountains. "Ohh I heard a wolf!" It doesn't impact the front-rangers, but people living in the mountain towns and they're pocket book and lifestyle!! CPW officers cant even handle all the bear complaints in aspen and carbondale???

There is no room for a reintroduction of Wolves in COLORADO.

22-Jan-18
Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel Paul.

23-Jan-18
^^JDM lol!

27-Jan-18
Two wolf seminars are to be held in February. First is in Carbondale Co. at the Third Street Center in Carbondale February 7th at 5:30 Pm. Second seminar is in Aspen at the Aspen center for environmental studies February 8th. I will look time up and post it. Please attend to help stop the reintroduction of wolves into Colorado.

27-Jan-18
Aspen seminar time is 7pm on February 8th at the Aspen Center for environmental studies

28-Jan-18
Hunters at the aspen seminar are going to be as welcome as turds in a punch bowl. you all have good luck with that.

28-Jan-18
It's nice to believe that the punch will be tainted. Where's Ted Nugent when we really need him? The wolves have already reintroduced themselves. The proposed "endangered species" classification is a turd of a different flavor.

28-Jan-18
We are so screwed. With as liberal as this state has turned we have no hope. Heck I never thought I'd see spring bear cancelled or leg hold traps. Banning mountain lion hunting will take place right after they get wolves re-introduced.

28-Jan-18
Anything a non-resident can do remotely to help stop this?

28-Jan-18
Start an online petition? I can think of at least one site that would probably have nearly 100% participation. If even a fraction of the folks that come to Colorado to hunt got together, and voiced their concerns as a group, the CPW would likely have to give it considerable attention. The potentially devastating economic impact of reduced deer & elk herds, and subsequent reduced revenue from fewer NR licencing, is likely a very good way to "get through" to them. As the saying goes, money talks... If enough guys say "I'll be spending my money elsewhere" it should get their attention.

28-Jan-18
Now THIS is something we can ALL stand together on!

28-Jan-18
I found several online petition sites with a quick search. The links that Steve provided in a couple of his early posts cover many of the concerns. I'm gonna have to stay out of the process. When I mentioned this, my wife showed me a "Pro-Wolf" video a friend posted. I'll still sign a petition.

30-Jan-18
ColoBull show your wife a youtube video of the top ten wolf attacks on animals. Let me know how she like to see a moose calf taken away from her mother and vicously attacked and killed by a pack of wolves while her mother tries to defend herself.

30-Jan-18
You've heard the expression "Choose your battles wisely?" She doesn't mind my elk hunting. I don't think she'll vote for MORE wolves. No use stirrin THAT pot...

06-Feb-18
There has been a change of venue for the wolf reintroduction seminar in Carbondale on Wednesday February 7th. The seminar will now be held at the Third Street Center In Carbondale. This is the address I look up r the Third Street Center.520 S third St. The wolf reintroduction is going to affect all our existing wildlife population. Every sportsmen should attend and voice there own opinion.

06-Feb-18
What time, RD?

07-Feb-18
Wolftards have no clue.

14-Feb-18
http://www.themeateater.com/2018/the-never-ending-ugly-and-complicated-debate-over-wolf-management-is-coming-to-a-whole-new-location/

Worthy read for those thinking about all of this.

14-Feb-18
This current Wildlife Commission has no intention of approving wolf reintroduction. Petitions won't do any good. When this gets on the general election ballot, that's where the rubber will meet the road.

Their media ad campaign will be beautiful and idyllic with cuddly wolves howling peacefully in the moonlight. This is where our side can and should go hard for the emotions of voters and grab them by the throat. Literally.

• Sitka Gear