spike78 15-Dec-17
bigbuckbob 15-Dec-17
Woodsnut 15-Dec-17
GF 15-Dec-17
grizzlyadam 15-Dec-17
Oneeye 15-Dec-17
RidgeRunner 16-Dec-17
14-Dec-17
Since Dr and BBB have kissed and made up, and they're playing nice...I have a new box of popcorn that I need to get rid of.

I'll just sit back and enjoy the debate...

BTW, I shot fixed..ST Mag and starting this season..QAG Exodus..

Strong steel ferrules...nothing like the cheapened weak blades of mechs....

14-Dec-17
I have been using slick tricks for many years I have killed many deer with the too .but mu blood trails seem to be light this year I changed to a expandable I think grim reaper but I haven't been able to try them out yet .LOL

14-Dec-17
Aluminum is for Beer cans. I'm also a Slick Trick user and didn't have any issues with blood trails.

14-Dec-17

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Bloodtrail from Buck from last year
Bloodtrail from Buck from last year
Here's a deer my son shot three years ago. Slick trick.
Here's a deer my son shot three years ago. Slick trick.
Another slick trick Bloodtrail. They are short....
Another slick trick Bloodtrail. They are short....
Scary the damage these things inflict.
Scary the damage these things inflict.
Slick tricks. Blood trails are good. When you hit them right they blow blood all over. Almost the best part of the hunt seeing how much blood they lose.

14-Dec-17
Used Rage on the last buck I took but didn't like the bands breaking all the time, so went back to fixed blade Slick Tricks.

14-Dec-17
I am not sure if they were making Rage broadheads 16+ years ago Bob.

14-Dec-17
2014 Six, 2014. Remember, being a wise ass in my job here :)

14-Dec-17
Slick trick - period

14-Dec-17
Nehunter Grim Reapers make full stainless broadheads no aluminum.

14-Dec-17
Grim Reaper mechanicals are aluminum. Fixed look pretty good.

14-Dec-17
slick trick - exclamation point!

14-Dec-17

SILVERADO's Link
Nope stainless

14-Dec-17

SILVERADO's Link
As well as these

14-Dec-17
As long as they are not made of flint I'm good. Pretty much every modern head today is great... maybe not the heads that are supposed to cut a core sample like hole - literally a round ring blade... OR the ones using razor wire so they "go around ribs". Ooph...

But beyond that, debating the value of modern mech v fixed is like debating ford v chevy (when we all know Toyota is way better :)). Or maybe listening to someone try to say that Hoyt, Matthews, Prime, Obsession, Elite etc are as good a bow as bowtech. I mean that's just silly. Or simply listening to non Patriot's fans talk football (that's brutal)...

:)

Or cross bows in general, I mean, c'mon... Crossbow users... (Steve and others, please remember I'm KIDDING here).

That all said... I literally have a Slick Trick mag for shoot through mesh in my quiver, and a few mechs. Of late that's meant Rage extreme's. I've really been thinking about trying Grimm Reaper's white tail specials... and I think next year I will. Zero issues with Rage, just curious about the reapers given the great results folks always note with them.

14-Dec-17
I use NAP similar to RAGE but they are spring loaded so no crappy plastic band holding the blades. Quick kills!

14-Dec-17
Now that you mention it, I have some NAP as well.

14-Dec-17
Your box of popcorn must be 1/2 gone by now

14-Dec-17
Will i personally use the grim reaper razor tip. 1 3/8” cut. The whitetail special is a 2” cut and takes a lot of kinetic energy to punch such a big hole through. Not sure what you are using as your setup just keep that in mind. They also sell an extra cut which is 1 3/4”. I have tried that with my buck from Ohio he made it 25 yds.

14-Dec-17
For over 13 years the Grim Reaper original "Razortip" has proven itself in the field as a force to be reckoned with. The Razortip's .035" thick 440 SS blades combined with new aircraft-grade aluminum ferules make it the toughest, sharpest, best-penetrating Grim Reaper broadhead ever! Screw one on today and "WATCH 'EM DROP"!

14-Dec-17
Yes the razortips are aluminum not disagreeing that. But they also make 2 different models that are full stainless steel. For guys such as yourself who are worried about the aluminum. I for one am not and have personally have over 20 flawless kills with them,and many other friends who have killed way more than that with no issues.

14-Dec-17
Not even an option for me - Fixed, and with a more gradual ramp angle than those Slicks. Only inches I'm worried about are depth of penetration, rather than width..

14-Dec-17
Who needs inches when you get passthrus. Lol all of mine have been passthrus and stuck in ground. Wait for the right shot broadside or angling away. No need to over think it deer are thin skinned animals.

14-Dec-17
I personally prefer Dodge.

14-Dec-17
I use the Slick Trick standards as well and have taken a few deer with them but was thinking about trying the Magnus Black Hornet just to try something new. Read a lot of good things about the Exodus heads. Then their is the Iron Will heads ah decisions. Don’t care to much for mechs.

14-Dec-17
Silverado - what are you shooting? I have been, and plan on continuing to shoot 91ft lbs of KE, which has worked well with 2" and 2.3" rages... but those are 2blades. The 1.75 may be a better option given the extra blade... I do like the 2" cut though...

14-Dec-17
Ah, this is all bs. I'll bet Doc doesn't know the difference between a fixed or mechanical broad head. WB probably uses exploding heads or some kind of poison heads and they don't tell the politicians about it. Redding would have more deer if there were less ticks. Where did I leave that bottle of wine?

15-Dec-17

MessF4's embedded Photo
MessF4's embedded Photo
MessF4's embedded Photo
MessF4's embedded Photo
Spike78- For what it’s worth, I lost the largest deer I’ve ever shot at this year using the Magnus Black Hornet. Yes, it was a shoulder shot, and no, you can’t blame the broadhead for a poor shot. That being said, I’ve never had an issue previously with either Grim Reaper Razortips, Wasp Drones or Slick Tricks. It’s the only deer I’ve ever lost. It sounded like the arrow hit solid concrete. It was enough for me to lose confidence in the head.

15-Dec-17
I've been using Ramcats for the past few years with good results. Although this year I did get to my stand to find one of the lock screws backed out and I lost a blade in the process, so you need to check them periodically. Also the blades do bend when they hit bone.. I always replace my blades after a shot, so not a problem for me.

15-Dec-17
I used Rage with good results but got sick of their band retention color scheme. I tried Grim Reaper I think 1 3/4 in. and they were just as deadly as the Rage. took two last year, one with each and they both dropped within view of me, Staying with Grim Reaper. have you finished the popcorn yet ?

15-Dec-17
I have never not had a pass through with any broadhead.....I shoot 70 pounds with a 340 arrow....most shots are 20 to 30 yards

15-Dec-17
Will, I’m shooting a Hoyt Nitrum. 279 FPS. 63lbs Overall arrow weight 430. I use the 125 grain tips. Arrow length 27.5” i shoot the Beman ICS whiteout arrows.

15-Dec-17
I am agreeing with you Dave...With today's bows if your not getting pass through something is wrong with your set up or gear....especially broad side... quartering away on not a high angle I can see that ....

15-Dec-17
jacks I have tons of pass thru even before the xbow and I was shooting a bowtech set at less than 55 lbs Steve

15-Dec-17
First deer I ever shot was with a 62" Damon Hoyatt recurve, 58 lbs at 15 yards with an old broad head called a missile spike and it was a clean pass through. The buck I got in 2014 with a Bowtech compound set at 65 lbs with a Rage mechanical, hit the spine, bounced off and the deer dropped in it's tracks, paralyzed from the shoulder back. It's all about shot placement, not the head.

15-Dec-17
Mess, now your making want to try a Cutthroat head. Those look bomb proof. Well another thing I can’t use my Cabelas dollars on.

15-Dec-17
BTW - I was not aiming at the spine :) Extreme angle and I couldn't get a normal anchor position. That was lesson 943 now tucked away for future use.

15-Dec-17
Grim reaper expendables !! are awsome

15-Dec-17
It might interest some of you guys to know that a lot of people have reported clean pass-throughs with 2-blade heads coming out of #40 recurves at 10 GPP.

It's all about what you hit.

15-Dec-17

grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
I got some really good blood trails with various mech heads and I have lost some deer because of them. I get some really crappy blood trails with fixed heads but don't lose any deer because of them. Slick trick razor trick for me these days. They stopped making them after slick got purchased. I bought a ton of them and replacement blades while they were still available. One thing I really like about COC fixed heads is that if you hit a rock or something, you only have to replace the blades rather than the whole ferrule.

15-Dec-17
Not partial to either just have had failures on many pieces of my equipment over the years such as bad batteries, broken bow parts, cracked lenses etc. so i try to minimize my chance of any failures and go with fixed head. Personally hate the flight of fixed heads relative to field points but i adjust bow to compensate.

16-Dec-17
With a well placed shot, there is virtually no significant difference. I’ve had some marginal shots with both fixed and mechanicals over the last 30 years. I’ve recovered significantly more deer in these scenarios with the mechanicals mainly because their blood trails are normally easier to follow as the internal and exit hole damage is superior. A shoulder shot is where mechanicals tend to be lacking.

• Sitka Gear