jax2009r 15-Dec-17
GF 15-Dec-17
grizzlyadam 15-Dec-17
billymac 15-Dec-17
Wild Bill 16-Dec-17
Bigbuckbob 16-Dec-17
GF 16-Dec-17
14-Dec-17
Anybody hunt off 107 near the police station and graze a buck ? pm me we have some photos of him wasn't to long ago because we have before and after .Steve

14-Dec-17
What did they charge him with,......littering (blood trail).

14-Dec-17
send me pics steve....

14-Dec-17
Uh oh

14-Dec-17

SILVERADO's embedded Photo

14-Dec-17

14-Dec-17

14-Dec-17
Looks like it wasn't a miss after all.

14-Dec-17
He looks in good shape at least. The old over the spine out the off side above the ribs is a major bummer.

14-Dec-17
He’ll be fine

14-Dec-17
Been there, done that.

14-Dec-17
Is that the deer Shawn shot at ? boy that would be something

14-Dec-17
Shawn is in the Groton area and this is Redding

14-Dec-17
Yup. That's why "that would be something".......

14-Dec-17
Who messed up my backstraps?

15-Dec-17
I meant JRDEERSLAYER....Isnt his name shawn too

15-Dec-17
no

15-Dec-17
ops...I meant JR....that would be something...that shot is the "void"

15-Dec-17
It's just a terrible shot on every front... about 6" too high and another 6" too far back, and I'll bet the shooter was aiming for a spot about a foot ahead of what he got...

That exit would be a fine entry if it were forward half-way to the shoulder or coming in from the deer's 4:00 or 5:00....

15-Dec-17
It's entirely possible the shooter sent the arrow exactly where it was supposed to go but the deer didn't cooperate. Is that bad shooting, bad shot judgement, or bad luck? Who knows, but the deer lives to be shot again. Lessons learned on both sides.

15-Dec-17
Exactly

16-Dec-17
IMHO, the arrow entered to the off side of the spine and slid along the ribs. Probably was a close shot, and obviously too high. Probably a compound shooter who rarely shoots under ten yards/doesn't have a pin for that distance.

16-Dec-17
Or the deer jumped the string, squatted, and was grazed.

16-Dec-17
OK, so I shoulda said bad Hit and not bad Shot.... My Bad.

" Probably a compound shooter who rarely shoots under ten yards/doesn't have a pin for that distance."

Yup, that's what happened to me, and that's why I don't own a compound anymore; for the distances I'm likely to want or need to shoot, I'm deadlier with a recurve or LB.

But really... You look at the spot in that first pic. and the steepness of the angle as suggested by the height difference between entry and exit, and as Bill noted, this was a very close shot. Angle probably 45 degrees or steeper on an animal that was pretty near broadside. I've never seen a deer move forward when "squatting" to duck the string; usually the shoulders drop and move rearward, while the hips drop a bit to load the legs so the animal can coil up and spring outta there... And at that close range, there just ain't much time for a deer to move very far before an arrow clocking 250-300-odd fps catches up with them.

So that much tells me that either the shot was pulled pretty hard to the right, or the shooter got a little flustered and ended up looking AROUND the peep instead of through it or just rushed the shot without picking a spot and settling into it.

So JMO, the bad hit is more likely on the shooter than due to what the deer may have done.

• Sitka Gear