Hoot 29-Jan-18
MuskyBuck 29-Jan-18
Hoot 29-Jan-18
15-Dec-17
Anyone want to get together and do some coyote hunting

15-Dec-17
Where are you located? Private or public

15-Dec-17
Yea, what part of the state? I’ll be starting when I get back from Missouri after the first of the year.

15-Dec-17
I've been at it for a couple days now. Sadly, I an seeing many more than I expected.

15-Dec-17
I live in pierce I usual hunt the yotes on public land

15-Dec-17
You guys generally hunt yotes at night?

15-Dec-17
I have been seeing more activity at first light this year and they have been responding to my call. But I am about as green as it gets when it comes to coyote hunting, so take anything I say for what it's worth.

15-Dec-17
Always see more coyotes at night, yes. But first light and last light are okay too. If I hunt in the day time. I gravitate more to the woods than focusing on open fields. They're are smart animals as you know. Depending are where you are hunting. You can go a long time without seeing them. Down here I'm fortunate to hunt some great ground. Trapping is most effective if you are looking to catch some serious fur.

15-Dec-17
Any pointers for daytime hunting? Setups , calls , Decoys?

15-Dec-17
Daytime I find more success being setup in the timber. Certain properties I know where they bed. I setup pretty close to them. Sometimes all it takes is a few challenge barks. Often times it takes some quiet calling to coax them in. If you see them while your calling. I wouldn't stop calling. They usually hold up when you stop. Obviously play the wind and if you can use a barrier to your advantage. That way they can't get downwind the better off you are. You can use decoys if you'd like. I use to use them but I stopped.

I also use all types of calls. Crows, jackrabbit, lightning jack, cottontail, turkey calls, baby cries and fawn in distress.

I start off many different ways. But my favorite way to start is with challenge barks and long howls. Then I wait a bit before I turn to a distress call.

Most importantly if you do it. Don't give up. Keep grinding and hitting different spots. 10pm-2am is really good hunting if you don't mind the dark. That's when I usually go.

15-Dec-17
Rutten if your hunting during the day I usually set up my electronic call about 100 yards out a blast a coyote locator howl then follow up with rabbit in distreous hand call I end the sequence with another howl nothings guaranteed but I have pretty good luck with that setup but location is critical the farther from the road it seems the better

15-Dec-17
Do you use some type of illuminated scopes? I'm assuming you guys use a riffle like .223 or?? I've gotten a few over the years while deer hunting, maybe this would be a fun way to stay in the woods through February

15-Dec-17
Also I hunt both day and night

15-Dec-17
I use a 223 in the bigwoods and a smoothbore shotgun with slugs in southern farm country.

15-Dec-17
Also one last thing if no one decides to comment on my post. If you are in an area known to hold red fox. Hold off on the coyote barks and howls

15-Dec-17
Chief a buddy and I also coyote hunt a lot in Pierce. He is a predator fanatic. He would rather predator hunt than deer hunt. I'm busy this weekend and he has a weird schedule as he's a corrections officer. But we should try to get together in the next month or so.

15-Dec-17
I really need to make this a priority this winter. Took a walk today and yote tracks everywhere. Plus I have alot on camera. Have no clue what I'm doing so gonna have to do some research.

My biggest question--using scope at night. How do you see? Guessing my best bet is to wait on full moon and sit in a open field

15-Dec-17
northbound, Cabela's carries some great red or green lights that mount to your scope, my favorite is the Cyclops ($110.00) which I can easily see coyotes out to 200 yards at night. I am looking into a thermal scope for my 243 as more and more of my coyote hunting is at night, but still love the day. Carl

15-Dec-17
Can you trap coyote on your own land without a trappers license?

15-Dec-17
Grunter, see my post above about lights, and the last thing you want to do is hunt without a light, always make sure of what you are shooting at, after all you don't want to be shooting the land owners dog.

Carl

15-Dec-17
Red or green lights will not spook the coyote as long as you keep the light moving, don't shine the beam directly at the coyote, try to keep the hallo on him and the beam just above him, you can stop moving the light and hold steady on him when you are ready to shoot.

Carl

15-Dec-17
I've never heard of that or every-witnessed that.^^^

What has spooked coyotes in the past for me were with green lenses and when the coyote was on an edge of the field. He saw shadows. I stick with a red lense now because it's not as bright and your still able to keep your night vision.

15-Dec-17
Can you trap coyote on your own land without a trappers license?

As far as I know you can.

15-Dec-17
Nocturnal, I have never spooked a coyote with a green light or red as far as I know, but I am always scanning with the light until the shot.

Carl

16-Dec-17
I agree with Noc in that I believe it is the moving shadows that spook animals at night. The red is a weaker light so will tend to spook fewer critters than a green. But, the green extends the distance you can see at night.

16-Dec-17
I don't hunt the woods at night so shadows are not much of a concern, I scan not looking for entire animals but for the reflection of eyes, and once the coyote has been identified I hold the light on him, but do not shine the beam directly at him, that just works for me, do I believe they can see the light, sure, just as they can see any red, green, or white, but if you are scanning with your light during the entire calling sequence then they are coming in to a light that is on and are less wary of that light, if you keep turning a light off and on after calling to see if their are any coyote in the field or on the edges the light can definitely spook them. Each time out I learn new things and this is why I enjoy it so much.

16-Dec-17
FTWAC I misinterpreted what you wrote. I definitely agree with what your saying now that you explained it a little more. They definitely see the light. When I do get light on a yote I bring the light onto them slowly. Kind of like the clouds slowly opening to moonlight. If that makes sense. Your just taking a more careful approach! Nothing wrong with that at all. I light them up and haven't had a problem.

16-Dec-17
FTWAC

I don’t know if your hunting in WI. But if you are Scanning with any light is illegal. Light can only be used at the point of kill.

16-Dec-17
Drop Tine, you are correct, will have to change up my system somewhat, and not sure I really understand why it says at point of kill, but it is what it is, Thank you.

Carl

16-Dec-17
Wasn't there talk of changing that language?

16-Dec-17
There have been several resolutions presented over the years at the spring Hearings. All passed at county and state levels.

But for whatever reason this never advances further. I would like to see it being I hunt in wolf territory and IDing an animal at the point of kill can be difficult. Large yote or young wolf??

16-Dec-17
Great thread.

Anyone who is serious about deer population should at least consider getting a trapping license just to take some yotes off of the land. There's many more coyotes than wolves but not as many people blaming them.

16-Dec-17
Good thread! I just purchased a Savage .22-250 from Cabelas for this purpose and I'm very much a beginner. What do you do with the coyotes you kill?

16-Dec-17
I usually sell them unskinned they don't bring much, between 7-20 bucks depending on where I hit them and hide quality. This year a buddy of mine and I are going to start tanning hides or at least start learning how and see what we can make out them. I sell fox outright reds usually bring decent money grays about half as much

16-Dec-17
Rutn I'm off most of January pm me and I would for sure like to go, do you run them with dogs or just call

16-Dec-17
Chief we call them. I will definitely get in touch with you.

26-Dec-17

Bigmikey's embedded Photo
I started calling my deer hunting spots 3 weeks ago, up to 6 dogs down!

26-Dec-17

Dubble i got waukesha county

26-Dec-17
My young friend has taken 13 so far, using an electronic call,,,,, 3am was the hot time,,,,

26-Dec-17
Nice!

If anyone in the WOW counties want to take some coyotes off their and let me know.

26-Dec-17
Nice yotes!!!

27-Dec-17
Thought maybe they would be looking for an easy meal with the temp being -15. Called for about 30 minutes but no luck. Would really like to try night time but I'm just not set up for it.

27-Dec-17
Night time is where its at unless you have alot of parviate land to hunt that dosent have people traffic.

27-Dec-17
Do you guys have issues seeing after you shoot at one in the dark? That muzzle flash out of a shotgun is blinding, can't get another shot off.

27-Dec-17
I pulled this from the trapping regs. page 6

4. Landowner Provisions: the owner or occupant of any land and any family members* who live with them do not need a license to: • trap coyote, beaver, fox, raccoon, woodchuck, rabbit and squirrel on the land yearround (see “beaver damage control” on page 18 for more information); or • live trap with cage or box traps for beaver, coyote, fox, woodchuck, rabbit, raccoon and squirrel on their land at any time in cities, villages or other areas where the discharge of firearms is unlawful. Live-trapped animals must be either humanely killed or released on unenclosed private land with the landowner’s permission within 24 hours. 7 Licenses & Permits Note: live-trapped animals cannot be released on DNR-owned and -managed lands. *Family members who do not live with the owner or occupant of the land but are siblings and/or children of the owner and are under the age of 18 may also hunt or trap these species on that property without a license

Keep up the good work. I have to make time for this and get back into it.

28-Dec-17
I run thermal on my gun, nothing can hide, and follow up shots are great. I can hunt when the weather is good not just when we have a moon and snow. Deffiantly not cheap though. I would have lost 2 dead dogs if it wasent for thermal scanning. Was hard to find them laying in cut corn even! Walked past them twice lol.

01-Jan-18
I've been in the woods a lot in the last few days coyote hunting / picking up seats I left out / scouting boy I've come across a lot of coyote killed fawn / this years deer any advice... The yotes arnt really coming to the calls like usual I'm guessing to much easy food? Any thoughts I'm trying to keep the population in check

01-Jan-18
well I can start to hunt this coming weekend, for the first time since October,,,, this weekend I will be involved in the big predator hunt, in Florence and Forest County,, I will be handling the radios, inside the truck,,,,,,,,,,

after that I will be in a ground blind, my friends set up for me, with the cross bow...

local young man by my house is up to 22 coyotes this year, and the pelts are in nice shape

Chief I asked him about the calls, he is using all electronics, and they work he says late night into early am, he quits about 4am,,,,,, he says he is not good with the mouth calls

I have a Fox Pro, I will be cleared to shoot my 22 in mid February, going to raise heck on the local feral cat population,,,,,,

01-Jan-18
Chief2, have you considered snares? It you set them on land you own you do not even need a trapping license.

02-Jan-18
Ground Hunter thanks for the advice went out late last night had 2 come in just out of range! Jeff I would do the snares but I don't own where I hunt but I'm sure they would let me trap ill just have to get the license and maybe give that a try.

02-Jan-18
Correction to my post above, I meant cable restraints. Snares are not allowed. Tweed, thanks for pointing that out to me.

It it was not so darn cold out this full moon would be great for some after dark calling.

02-Jan-18
Remember if you trap you need to pass a trapping course or be grandfathered in before you purchase your license.

03-Jan-18
Cheif2, not sure how old you are, but if you purchased a sportsman's license years ago (mid 80's and before) you had a trapping licence and technically would be grandfathered in.

03-Jan-18
Who is going to have any record if you did or did not have a trapping or sportsman's license back then? So if you were old enough to have had one then you probably did. ;-)

03-Jan-18
GH is that predator hunt headquartered at T Bob's by chance?

03-Jan-18
I'm not quite 40 yet so ill have to look for a trappers course first thanks

10-Jan-18
A while back someone mentioned not using coyote calls/howls in areas of red fox. Anyone know the reason for this? A friend wants me to hunt coyote on his land but he also has foxes in the area. Just wondering how I should change my calling. For what it's worth, he wants both the foxes and coyotes removed.

10-Jan-18
Inmyelement I think what they where saying is not to use coyote specific calls only (locators, challenges, female coyote) in those areas because obviously the red fox won't respond if your trying to hunt both and there's not a lot of pressure I've found the cotton tail distress hand call has been working ok for both and the platinum gray has been my go to on the electronic for coyote specifically the last couple weeks hope that helps

11-Jan-18
Times have changed .In the 80's out west in UT, ID & NV It was normal to bag 12 Yotes & 3 Bobcats on a good weekend of calling . Each nite was spent Tubing the pelts & sewing up the bullet holes so good that the west coast buyers paid little extra . 80 to 125 per Yote . 275 to 325 for Bobs .

When I moved back to WI I had to change calls . I now use Crow , injured Fawn & Challenge calls . My Circe Challenge call is awesome .

When you put your heart in to it . Your basicly telling the Yotes that your there to take over their turf & have your way with their Females .

11-Jan-18
Forgot.. The best part of Skining Yotes all nite was the 12 pack of Coors needed to keep you going .

18-Jan-18
Anyone near portage? Looking for a partner for night hunting.

18-Jan-18
Wish I was im looking too, hard to cover the area by yourself

18-Jan-18
Last sat. Night I had one come in hard after about 1min. Of calling. It ran right up to my call about 30 yards in front of me. Smelled the call,I assume. Then took off. I got the light on him. Then he ran into the brush. It happened really fast. The whole thing to about 15 seconds.

28-Jan-18
Saw this post by Wolf Patrol on their facebook page this morning. About time! Yesterday .........

Wolf Patrol's citizen monitoring of controversial hunting practices will continue in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, despite the fact that the Forest County Sheriff Department has seized our cameras. See you hounders in the morning...

28-Jan-18
Quite the organization wolf patrol is. Punched a dent in one of the hunters trucks and tried to take off- group blocked them in and called sheriffs department. Best part is one of hunters have it all on film. Of course the photos they posted on their Facebook page portray the hunting group was in trouble

28-Jan-18
Wolf patrol sounds like a group I would be very much against....

28-Jan-18
Ranger - I wonder why they didn't post that on their facebook page. LOL

29-Jan-18
Camp 2 dukes - I visit his page often as I get a good laugh at his demented followers. Most of this cult's followers are from out of state or out of the country. When a rebuttal is posted and they don't have an answer all they do is belittle and the name calling begins. The say they aren't against hunting, but reading his follower's post I beg to differ. His go fund me page is a real joke, he needs money for a new truck, tents, drone and conservation style uniforms to name a few. They put a lot their footage on you tube, but always edited in their favor of course.

29-Jan-18
Never heard of that wolf patrol before. Wonder if I can pose as a anti for a day so the guy will show me some good places to harvest wolves some day

29-Jan-18
Best part is the guy heading this all up is a conficted felon.

The problem with what went on this weekend is they still won, the hunters instead of spending day hunting had to deal with them and local authority's for part of the day. Wolf patrol creates a bunch of drama and fake news.

29-Jan-18
Go for it northbound, but they seem to research who ever posts on their page.

29-Jan-18
They have plenty of time on their hands since working for a living is not a priority. Just leech of the saps that donate their money to them or give to their go fund me pages. You cannot overstate the hatred that this group (and others) has for hunting.

Do not for a second believe that they would support a balanced wolf plan. The term ecoterrorist is appropriate. Check out credentials of their leader. Scary that of all the things to protest and devote your life to this is what floats their boat.

29-Jan-18
He's says he's changed his ways and is not confrontational anymore, but sure is great at getting others to be confrontational.

Take a look at Rodney Coronado's résumé.

Member of SHAC Founder of Animal Liberation Front (ALF) An active member of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society As a member of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, he was instrumental in sinking two whaling ships at Reykjavik, Iceland (1986). The Animal Liberation Front is one of America's most dangerous domestic terrorism threats. He fire bombed a Michigan State University research laboratory (1992). He justified the firebombing Michigan State University as taking the gun out of the hands of someone ready to use it. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA) gave him more than $70,000 in grants and here are the PeTA tax records that show this financial support. He fled an arrest warrant in Vancouver (1987). As an FBI fugitive, he hid out on an Indian reservation (1993). He is a vegetarian, but as a fugitive, he admits that he was unable to live the vegetarian lifestyle and had to dine on animal flesh. He considers fire is a cleansing agent and if people get hurt that it is the same as people hurting animals. Prior to sentencing for the arson charge at Michigan State, he stated: "I have gone from the most vocal proponent to now an open opponent of the ALF. My actions were illegal, radical and extreme and caused great pain to others." In jail he retracted that statement (1995). He boasted in a speech to at least half a dozen acts of arson in what he labeled "Operation Bite Back" (November 30, 2002). He lectures college students on terrorist tactics. He described his philosophy that "It's based on one that sees all other living beings and aspects of nature, including plants, animals and rocks, as just as important as all others. My family raised me to believe that not only humans but all living beings and natural things deserve respect." He told Earth First! that the ALF or ELF will never be hailed as heroes in our time, but that their roles will be seen more clearly in 100 years. He advises activists to "Never use your own vehicle or those of other activists." He calls for "Maximum destruction! Not minimum damage." He uses the excuse of being an environmentalist to set fires and destroy property.

• Sitka Gear