Sitka Gear
Upland help
Kansas
Contributors to this thread:
MBabs 16-Dec-17
Ksgobbler 16-Dec-17
16-Dec-17
So this is my first year attempting any sort of bird hunting. Trying to get my wife and young boys involved too. Been out several times on public WMA's (Marion, and Slate Creek) and only encountered 1 covey of quail. Bumped a few pheasant too. I have a 1.5 year old GSP that has a few months training this summer with his breeder/good trainer. I have seen him do very well on planted birds. I know wild birds are different, but I'm pretty confident that he can find them if they are around...at least most of the time. I just don't think I'm putting him in spots where there are birds.

My strategy thus far is hitting areas that I have seen birds while walking or driving during bow season. I try to walk field edges of food sources (beans, corn, milo). If there is bordering tall grass, or thickets I will go in or lead the dog through those all while trying to go into the wind or at least a cross wind.

So what I want to ask is for those that are experienced hunters with quail and pheasant....

What do you look for in a new to you property? What features give you confidence you will find some birds in there? I'm trying to stay within 1.5 hrs of NE Wichita. WIHA and WMAs.

Is there a better time of day to hunt?

Any particular best weather? Or weather that you should just stay home and not bother?

Do I need to get deeper into wood thickets?

Anybody use any sort of locator calls?

Any general tips would be most appreciated.

16-Dec-17
Do things different than anyone else. Public within 90 mins of Wichita gets pounded, and it doesn't take too many times of getting shot at for birds to wise up. As soon as they hear a door shut they are running the other way. Some will hold tight and let you walk past. I like to pause every once in a while. I've shot many when they can hear you and get nervous.

• Sitka Gear