keepemsharp 11-Feb-18
Thornton 11-Feb-18
Shawn 12-Feb-18
Quinn @work 12-Feb-18
Quinn @work 12-Feb-18
Thornton 13-Feb-18
Quinn @work 14-Feb-18
16-Dec-17
Well we have hunted hard for 4 days, hit every walk in, state park, piece of public we could find from Smith Center to Norton. All I can say is guys that get it done on nice bucks on Kansas public land are better bowhunters than anyone I know. We got our butts kicked and have come to the conclusion that Kansas is a pay to play state. I feel bad for residents that only have access to hunt public, for a lack of better words IT SUCKED. We covered a ton of country and deer numbers seem to be in the toilet in north central KS. Still had a great time and met some good folks, but never drew our bows. Good luck to everyone still hitting it and I hope something changes in deer management. Thanks to everyone who offered help and suggestions.

16-Dec-17
Sorry for the bad luck. Bad timing though in my opinion. You need to give things the same effort in mid November. Coming in after a heavily hunted rifle season makes things really tough. The critters have been hunted since mid September in one form or another.

16-Dec-17
Could be you tried too hard, hitting that many spots in 4 days may not be your best bet. Shawn

16-Dec-17
Sorryyou jad a bad experience but you were hunting public at the absolute worsttime of the year in my opinion. (1). After the rut and most buck go nocturnal again only coming out to feed which is more likely when it is cold out and food is scarce and not when it is 50+degrees out. (2) after rifle season and the deer have been pressured terribly on public for 3 and half months already. (3) it has been extremely warm most of the season and very little moisture since august. Kudos to you though for trying and sticking it out this time of year. Best of luck to you in the future.

16-Dec-17
Agree with you both, spots looked good, had good rut sign, but no deer. We were just trying to find a spot that had a huntable population of deer. Would be interested what the areas held mid November and prior to gun hunt. Overall our experience was super low deer numbers, and not real conducive to a diy type hunt. Would love to see some WIHA or public land bow kills to show me it's possible haha

16-Dec-17
just 4 days?

16-Dec-17
Haha actually no, hunted first week of November on leased primo land, very few deer then as well. Hunted in 2015 for a week on leased primo land never had an opportunity at anything better than a two year old. Between the two of us we have put in over 40 sits, 120 hours on leased land with a reputable outfitter. This trip put in 4 days and combined 30+ hours totalling 150+ hours on stand that's over 6 days (24 hour days) My Dad had one opportunity at a 140+ buck. So combined we are 1 for 48 on mature deer encounters. With that being said my brother in law killed a 200" buck in 15 from a stand I sat the previous 2 days. We know there are big deer, we know the people are best you will find. Just some bad luck I guess, but I won't mind if I never spend another nickel hunting deer in the Jayhawk state haha. I'll give you the fact their are big deer and some booners, but Montana, SD, Wyoming, Idaho, NE have produced more PandY bucks for us over the years. No hard feelings just sharing our experience! Go put a hole in one!

16-Dec-17
Oh and where are all the ringnecks? Never seen one, but did see some booner possums and mile long strings of snow geese!

17-Dec-17
All I can say is this is the new ks. The state got your money. And you didn't get a deer. State 1 you 0. State doesn't care . Some new non resident watching the outdoor channel right now will take your place.

17-Dec-17
I’d bet that no matter where you hunt in Kansas right now, you may experience the same thing. It gets very tough this time of the year

17-Dec-17
It never seems to be the "right time" the moon's wrong, it's too hot, the crops aren't cut, the winds bad, too many coyotes, too many doe tags, the corn is too soggy, it sure seems KS deer are high maintenance! Hunted the first two weeks of November and saw the same results.....very few deer on prime properties in Rooks, Osbourne counties on Solomon River. I think Antlerhunter hit the nail on the head, there will always be a few big deer in KS, but you better have deep pockets to hunt them. Not a state for the average Joe to have a good opportunity hunt imo

17-Dec-17
I live in Osborne Co. next to Glen Elder public lands. I under stand what you are saying. The deer population is down. Public lands get hit hard by both res and non res. When just one group of out of area res take home 40 deer most of which came off of public hunting the population will drop. Private lands also get hit hard by locals, out of area res , non res and guides. As long as KS puts out as many permits as they do it isn't going to get better

17-Dec-17
From my personal experiences wisconsin is way more average Joe friendly. As is missouri and nebraska.

17-Dec-17
It took me a decade to figure out big buck movement in a wildlife area only 30 minutes from my house. I had to laugh one day when I ran into a NR showing me trailcam pics of a "big buck" near where I hunt. The deer was only 2.5 yrs old with a few points and I had passed on it while stalking on the ground the week before. As long as the easterners keep shooting everything small, it will continue to get harder for everybody to shoot a nice one. That being said Twinetickler, your brother in law probably shot the only buck that big in the entire county. I've lived here my whole life and only seen a handful near that big.

17-Dec-17
You guys are beginning to sound like me on here, except I started complaining on this forum 15 years ago.

17-Dec-17

Twinetickler's embedded Photo
My bro in laws bucks from 2015....my Dad and I well you know the story
Twinetickler's embedded Photo
My bro in laws bucks from 2015....my Dad and I well you know the story
Thornton it's funny you mention that. My Dad and I were just saying how unreal and unbelievable it is that he killed that buck. I will say this the hunting sucked but the people are first class. We just got a call from the sheriffs office in Philips county. My Dad unknowingly left his back pack where we parked the truck at a walk in area. Some good, honest person picked it up and returned it to the sheriffs office. Thank You! If that would have been where we are from the pack would have been gone through and thrown in the bushes! I have attached a pic of my bro in laws buck to prove unicorns do exist!

17-Dec-17
Next time you see someone on here saying the locals are a bunch of cry babies, and are only telling the NR hunters that our herd is declining to keep the deer for ourselves, please feel free to chime in and tell those asshats what you experienced twinetickler.

17-Dec-17
That's a main reason for my follow up. I have never driven through and hunted so much great looking country void of deer. It's absolutely crazy to me to think you can buy up to 5 doe tags and they offer a late season rifle doe hunt. We struggled to find 5 total deer! Correct me if I'm wrong, but an individual could harvest 7 deer??? I'm no biologist but that doesn't seem like sound management to me....We hunted one particular state park where we were told there was 47 people being illegally outfitted hunting the public area on the gun hunt. They killed only 3 small bucks and a bunch of does. I would fear for my life hunting an area with 47 gun hunters hunting a small piece of public!

17-Dec-17
They only manage money not deer. Just cause people buy tags doesn't mean they fill them. They could offer 20 tags and there would be guys that bought all 20. It's called greed. Hunting is not what it was and I fear it is gone forever. It used to be all hunter's in ks said was it a 10 point or 12 point or 8 point. Now the first question is what did he score? I hear this all the time. They only way it changes is when we as hunter's all hunter's resident and non resident stop buying permits and demand change.

17-Dec-17
Thorn: is it possible that deer could have been two and one eighth, or possibly two and seven eighths?

17-Dec-17

Thornton's embedded Photo
That's what I've been saying for years. I like to spot and stalk in the Flinthills. In that open country, you can see every living thing for miles with a good set of binocs and a spotting scope. Sometimes 10 deer in 5 -10sq miles is a lot in these areas. In the 90's before the doe season were put into place, sometimes every ravine would have 5-10 deer in them. Now there's too many tags and not enough deer.

17-Dec-17
Its not just on the public land, but private as well. Bow hunting for 32 years on private land where up until the last 8 years I was about the only hunter on the propery. Now there are about 10 displaced hunters who lost their places and the landowner dont care about deer hunting so they give just about anyone who asks permision. Guy on property next to it guides hunters and years ago there was only him and his brother hunting it. I pass up young bucks all season long only to find out later that they were shot. Frustrating but its where we are now!

18-Dec-17
I saw more deer in southeast ks this year than ive seen in a long time but i have to admit all young, if they didnt get shot in gun should be good in next couple years. If they dont get poached

31-Dec-17
You can't be serious? You "cover lots of country" in 4 days and decide theres no deer in NCK? I was just in that area pheasant hunting and it's loaded with deer.

01-Jan-18
We hunt Wilson county and saw several deer. As far as the multiple doe tags, I agree. No way should u be able to buy that many. I only know of one person that shot more than one doe and he was a Kansas resident.

01-Jan-18
Hunting 4 days during the worst time for sightings in the season doesn't constitute a very good sampling ,just sayin.

I guess my youngest son can say there is a 160 behind every other tree as he shot his noon on the third day????

05-Jan-18
Kansan, I was with twinetickler on this hunt...He never said that there no deer. We saw quite a few. They just were not in the public areas. we knocked on quite a few doors trying to gain access to land that had deer and we struck out. It wasn't the best time to go I understand that. You go when you can and we were disappointed to not even get a chance to draw our bows on any kind of buck. I don't know where you were hunting birds to find an area loaded with deer... I wish we could have found that spot and gained access.

05-Jan-18
People see a couple of groups with a dozen deer in it and assume its "loaded". Same old song and dance.

05-Jan-18
Dikndirt. If you guys ever come out again pm me. My Aunt and Uncle run Country lodgings and it is fairly priced that time of year. Place can sleep 12 and I think there is 4500 acres of private to hunt.

06-Jan-18
Kansan- What county? I've hunted from Salina west to 45 miles north of Wilson lake several times this year for birds and only saw 1 big buck and two does. No other deer period. I see very few deer in the Smoky Hills out to 30 miles west of Salina.

07-Jan-18
Sorry but I have hunted Kansas 3 times now and I have killed a good buck each time. One giant on a guided hunt and then 2 others on private. I did not hut this past year but I have always seen plenty of deer in NW Kansas and have passed some pretty good bucks each year. All my hunts have been from Oct. 27th or so til mid November. Also I have had good luck knocking on doors and getting permission to hunt. I also have always seen a lot of pheasants and have killed several with my truck driving to or from hunting spots. I just think you have to do a lot more homework and find a spot and hunt it for a few days an observe rather then hitting "every walk in, public and state park in 4 days". Hard to see yet alone kill anything hunting like that. Shawn

07-Jan-18
Slow down and you won't hit those pheasants. Lived here 52 years and have not hit one yet. This ain't New York.

07-Jan-18
Shawn, If I remember right, it took you a month one time to kill one on private land during the rut. These guys are hunting public it sounds like and they hunted late season which is a completely different ball game than you are used to in KS.

07-Jan-18
Thornton, never a month but 3 weeks but that was after passing a lot of deer on both public and private as well as blowing it on a 160" 10pt on public land. I have had my share of close calls and even hit a huge 140 plus inch 8pt on public in 2016 and never found him. Still sick about it. I am saying timing and also not rushing to hunt as many places as possible in a week are more conducive to killing deer is all. Different or not if I had only four days I would pick a spot maybe two that was as far away from pressure as possible and try and figure out what the deer where doing for a day or so then make my plan. Shawn

07-Jan-18
late season is different. You're either on deer or you're not because they group up and all the deer in miles might be using one bean field. If you don't have permission there, then you're out of luck. Sounds like these guys were hunting public and for only 4 days. Most public in KS is void of deer this time of year due to all the bird hunters and wintering grounds that are not on public land.

07-Jan-18
I have never seen a huge 140 inch deer.

08-Jan-18
Me either difference between New York born or Kansas born hahaha.

08-Jan-18
He said a 140 inch 8pt which is a very nice 8.

08-Jan-18
140 8 point would be very nice. But not "HUGE".

08-Jan-18
I shot my first 140" 8 point at age 16. I always thought it was big until I shot a 160"s 8 point in 2011.

08-Jan-18
So you have a nice one and a huge one.

01-Feb-18
I'm just staying what our experience was nothing personal on your great state, but I've been in other areas late season, during bird season, in warm weather etc. and have seen places loaded with deer......nowhere we went or was able to access was loaded with deer. Unless a great looking woodlot with a doe and 6 possums is considered loaded? Glad to hear there are a few for seed though, my opinion of Kansas is that it is overrated and setup for outfitters to fleece guys out of hard earned money. We learned our lesson and may be back to hunt some public areas in years to come, but probably not. We could have concentrated and hunted one or two particular areas, but never found an area that felt productive. Hard to put all your chips in an area that may have one buck and maybe a doe living on it. Hope you are all wintering well and happy huntin!

01-Feb-18
There is a lot of truth in your opinion of KS.

01-Feb-18
Big difference, come hunt here in NY, not just where I hunt and see how many 140" deer you see. In Kansas I have seen more 140" deer driving down the road in one 10 mile stretch then I see in NY in a couple seasons. Also a 140" 8pt is a big buck even by Kansas standards. My buck last year(2016)grossed 143 "s as a 12 point he netted 127 and a bit, to this NY'er that is still a pretty darn big buck! Shawn

05-Feb-18
Yeah, you NR'S keep bringing your money to Ks. If you paid any attention to the info available you would know it is a lost cause if you think you have a good chance of scoring a big buck. Not that it doesn't happen, but if you believe what you see on TV, you are in trouble. The ks. deer herd is managed for money by our incompetent legislature who have followed the Governor's lead. I understand your pain and frustration. It has been this way for a while and getting worse with the absurd long seasons and tag allowances. Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful.

05-Feb-18
6 years ago, I'd count close to 60 deer in the fields between Burns and Eldorado in the evenings. That is about a 13 mile stretch. The last two years I might see 3 or 4 deer. This cold, snowy weather always brings them into the fields.

06-Feb-18
Shawn another non resident telling guys from ks how good it is when he doesn't know how good it was. Why do you seem to think you know more about our herd structure and quality then guys who have lived and hunted in Kansas for 30 plus years. Is ks good all depends on what you have to compare it to. If I was a guy from Alabama or Mississippi or Texas or any other state where it is almost impossible to kill a pope and young deer on public land then yes it would be like finding a golden horseshoe. But if I was born and raised in Ks where you have seen and killed big deer on public land since the 80s and 90s and now it is over run with hunter's then no it is not as good as it was. You seem to say come here and hunt in New York and see how bad it is. I don't see ks guys getting on the New York site and telling them what a big buck is or how great the hunting is to the hunter's who have lived and hunted there for their whole lives. That is why it's called your opinion and not a fact. And opinions vary greatly depending on what you seem to think is a fact in your own mind.

06-Feb-18
You know whats kinda funny i new some new york guys that back in the late 80s and 90s were killing alot of really nice deer , where did they go?

06-Feb-18
For that matter, Kansas guys were killing a lot of Boone and Crockett bucks in the 80's and 90's. I remember going into quite a few sheds and garages as a teenager and seeing 170" or bigger racks and I was told they were fairly common in the 70's and 80's. Back in those days, nobody used corn and all they had was laminated Browning compounds or recurves that shot slow. Most of the stands I saw were wooden and 6-10' off the ground.

06-Feb-18
I used to walk up hill in the snow both ways to my stand back in the day. Saw alot of 250 inch 3.5 year olds. Then they released those mountain lions.

06-Feb-18
That made my day. Damn lions

08-Feb-18
Antlerhunter, I am just saying that it depends on where folks are hunting. I just don't think it is as doom and gloom as some guys make it out to be. I understand it may not be like it was in its hey day and not many places are. Wildlife departments do a lousy job in most states of managing their herds. I am only speaking from what I see and have experienced. Residents saying I hunted all season and saw only one buck that scored over 140"s too me is the hunters fault. Do some leg work and work harder at it and the bucks are there. Again maybe not like it was but its not all as I said gloom and doom!! Shawn

08-Feb-18
So we are poor hunters if we only see one buck that tops 140 all season? Are you serious?

08-Feb-18
Shawn I see plenty of deer and plenty of bucks. But I lived here and hunted in the 90's before the NR, doe seasons , KDWPT and outfitters reduced the herd to what it is. I get what you are saying, but I think you would change your tune if you hunted late season on public ground like the guys that started this thread.

08-Feb-18
Hunting was better in the 80's than it was in the 90's.

09-Feb-18
Kansas deer hunting was better in the 80's, than the 90's, but it then got worse in the 2000's and by 2010 it was even worse than the 2000's. Now that we're approaching the 2020's it's not even worth going. (tongue in cheek)

I totally agree that hunting isn't the same as it was in the early 2000's but that's the world we live in now. Stop living in the past and make the best of today.

Hell, I used to be able to hunt my backyard here in CO in the late 90's and 2000's but now the almost a million NR's coming here to hunt elk (when they don't draw in all the surrounding states) has ruined that. Along with the popularity of bowhunting, outfitters and leasing it's a deadly formula for hunting next door.

Sound familiar Kansans? It should.

I drive further and spend more time cultivating relationships so I can have good elk hunting in CO and good deer hunting in KS. I got over the fact I can't hunt close to home like my dad did in 1980. It's a different world then the good old days. If you don't adapt you'll never be happy.

....disclaimer//// I realize I said "I" more times than 1/2 a Thornton thread so please excuse me.

09-Feb-18
Thornton said ...."outfitters reduced the herd to what it is" Glad to see you're not disputing the fact that you are the "BIGGEST HYPOCRITE" on the bowsite.

Maybe you should post a few more pictures of your outfitted hunts in CO and Canada? You support outfitters and then blame them on the same day. Sorry just pointing out the obvious.

09-Feb-18
I've always said ks Outfitters are unregulated. When I hunt your state, I see tons of deer and units are heavily regulated.

09-Feb-18
Part of the problem is everyone shooting young bucks.. I see tons of guys shooting immature bucks just because they have an either sex tag. Nine times out of ten my buck tag goes on a doe and that's fine, I'm a meat hunter before all else. Thornton that buck you killed this year would've been a lot nicer next year, why you shot him I'll never know.. can't wait to hear you complaining about lack of mature bucks later this fall. If folks weren't so hung up on antlers the outfitters would disappear and it would be a benefit to all of us. As long as the only thing that matters to hunters is antlers, it's going to continue to go downhill. I've hunted public land for years and always had fun because I'm not concerned with inches.. and I kill deer every year.

09-Feb-18
Outfitters regulated? They were, they didn't like it so they went to the state house and got it eliminated.

09-Feb-18

09-Feb-18
Thats bs dave

09-Feb-18
We bird hunted i 70s 80s saw a lot of big deer but didnt see many deer hunters. I saw more deer last year than i have in a long time only one big shooter. I didnt fill a tag but that was a choice i made could have killed some nice young bucks im old enough now where i hunt just to hunt dont have to kill to have fun guys

09-Feb-18
No Thornton I understand it was late season and the odds go way down of seeing any buck let alone a big one. What I am saying is bouncing all over hell in a week and hoping to stumble on deer is not the way to go about it. You and I both know it is pretty hard to figure out a piece of property in a week let alone a few hours. During the rut not so much. Kansasclipper never said guys were not good hunters just that I feel(maybe others don't)if you cannot at least see several bucks over 140"s during an entire hunting season guys ought to re-think there hunting methods. If ya hunt 6 or 8 days a year then maybe not but if you are dedicated and put in the time it should not be that hard to do. I did not say kill one but at least see them. Hell I have seen several in a day just driving down the road while in Kansas. Now here in NY as I said if I see one over 140"s every 3 years I am doing good. Shawn

09-Feb-18
Beards I don't follow your rant. I shot my buck on my own property and he was 2" shy of 150". My neighbor is an outfitter that leases 6000 acres next to me and he does an excellent job of management. He only takes big, old deer and I think they shot less than 8 last year. Sounds to me like you're shooting whatever walks by? BTW I've shot my biggest deer on public. I let a 150" walk during rifle season because he was a ten point and I'd have done the same if the three ten points on my farm would have reappeared after summer. If they live till next year they'll all score close to or over 170"

09-Feb-18
I guess some peoples idea of what a 140 plus is may differ from someone else's. It takes a damn nice deer to "Officially" top the 140 mark.

10-Feb-18
It kills me how a guy can see a deer walkin in the woods and know how many inches they are. He's 147 no 153 no i think 138 bullsh!!

10-Feb-18
They can't score them in the back of a truck let alone on the hoof! Maybe Shawn can show us his score sheet from the official scorer.

10-Feb-18
Thornton also that deer on the ground might be that big but sure dont look it on the ground

10-Feb-18
Hows the weather up there today clip. A little cool?

10-Feb-18
Chilly!!!!!!! 13 degree's right now.

10-Feb-18
Heck i think ill go to the crappie dock and catch some specs

10-Feb-18
Lol no way that deer scored 148, if it actually did the picture sure doesn't show it..

10-Feb-18
Haha this thread has become quite interesting....never meant for it to turn into a pissing match. Shawn we know how to hunt, I appreciate your opinion, but can't say I've ever met an opinionated New Yorker I've agreed with. Thornton that's a helluva buck and I would bet all these guys would have loved to put an arrow in him. I spent yesterday afternoon at the Western Hunting Conservation expo. Listened to diahhreah spewing from the mouths of many Kansas Outfitters claim they all had 100% opportunity on 140+ bucks. Same song and dance to try to take your money. It's too bad hunting has become so commercialized and bucks all have dollar signs on their heads.

10-Feb-18

keepemsharp's Link
We used to have a handle on guides and outfitters in KS. They did not like that so they went to the state house and got it made illegal. Sooooo this is what we now have. Just turn on Sat. morning tv and see what's possible in our state.

10-Feb-18
Fitz remember Shawn has killed over a 100 deer with traditional equipment and has become an expert in 3 years of hunting Kansas.

10-Feb-18
Your comments piqued my curiosity so I re measured him using a smaller 1/4" wide tape I use at work. Here are his measurements: R beam: 21 1/8" G1: 4 1/8" G2: 10 1/4" G3: 9" G4: 2.5" H1:5" H2:4" H3: 4 1/8" H4:3 3/4" Width:18" L beam : 21" G1: 4 1/8" G2: 10 3/4" G3: 9 3/8" H1:5 1/8" H2:4" H3:4 H4:3 1/8" You guys are correct, he is low 140"s. When I saw him in velvet I estimated him to be 150". When I measured him the day of the kill, I used a 1/2" tape that wasn't very flexible. Either way, I'm glad I shot him and not a buck with far more potential.

10-Feb-18
"I shot my buck on my own property and he was 2" shy of 150"."

Is that the long way of saying "148"?

10-Feb-18

2015 buck I shot during bow and again in rifle season. Always thought he looked nice except for the taxi ruining the cape. He scored the same

10-Feb-18
And if officially scored he will be a few less than that. Most 150's end up being high 130's. Most 140's struggle to make P&Y minimum.

10-Feb-18
You are correct. That is a gross score which is all I care about. I've been reluctant to have my 186" mule deer scored because of the deductions. I was hoping he would make the 180" minimum for B&C but I'm not sure

10-Feb-18
So the 2015 buck was 150 inches minus 2 inches? Or as us dumb fellers say 148inches?

Couple years back I killed a buck that was 35 inches shy of 235 inches.

10-Feb-18
Lol he was low 140"s

11-Feb-18
BC awards are 160 and 180 respectively for WT and MD.To make the book it will take 170 and 190.

11-Feb-18
I think its a personal problem when guys lie about inches. Hahaha

11-Feb-18
I didn't lie. I measured it at the time of the kill with a 1/2" tape and got 148".

11-Feb-18
Jason im kidding wasent talking about your deer this pissen match needs to stop good deer buddy. I myself just dont give a shit about how many inches a deer measures

11-Feb-18
It's just a deer, who gives a damn what the tape reads? Is that what you wanted to shoot? Then SHUT UP!!!

11-Feb-18
Tell them that

12-Feb-18
Well I may not be from Kansas but it does not take a rocket scientist to judge a deer's antlers on the hoof. You may not be exact but I would think you can get fairly close. As far as posting the official score sheet I could do that in may when my bud comes back from Florida. He kept the sheets in case I wanted to any of my Kansas bucks. I do not so I did not get them from him. His name is Nelson Harrington and has been an official P&Y scorer for quite a few years. Like I said when you see an exceptional buck that is mature you should be able to get a rough score pretty quick, if ya can't well then you may need a bit of practice. Mass is the one tough measurement to add up but width, tine length, beam length you should have a clue unless of course like some folks you are clueless! Shawn

12-Feb-18
Well Thornton, so much for the “Booner” you killed in my backyard, statement you made in your PM eh?

Another exaggeration but I’m getting used to it.

12-Feb-18

13-Feb-18
It does gross Boone and Crockett, which like I said, is all I care about. Don't worry, I'll be back year after next when I can draw again unless someone talks me into a landowner tag.

14-Feb-18
So you say Thornton. B&C is 190. Have an official B&C scorer measure it and then post the score sheet. It's a ways away from B&C.

You won't "be back year, after next" to CO as the CO Outfitters and NR's will spoil your chances. See you in 2021. You jokingly mention buying a landowner tag her in Co when all you could do 10 years ago was complain about KS Landowner Tags being sold to NR's.

I guess you wear your hypocrisy on your sleeve for everyone to see. Once again Thornton you're the biggest HYPOCRITE on Bowsite.

• Sitka Gear