Buckiller 19-Dec-17
Buckiller 19-Dec-17
SixLomaz 20-Dec-17
bigbuckbob 20-Dec-17
jax2009r 20-Dec-17
DeerDan 31-Dec-17
STM 31-Dec-17
17-Dec-17
I've said it before but I'm thinking of getting a crossbow, especially for these cold days when I'm wearing 30lbs. of cloths. Anybody using them and what's your brand of choice?

17-Dec-17
I made the switch a couple of years ago since a bad shoulder kept me from consistently drawing my compound back without serious pain. Using my Xbox still allows me to enjoy hunting from September to the end of January while enjoying what nature has to offer. I have the Ten Point Turbo GT and love it, good solid bow with a great reputation. JMO, Stephen

17-Dec-17
Barnett predator. 350 FPS. A bit noisy out of the box but haven’t add any aftermarket sound control gizmos. Hasn’t stopped me from filling the freezer with it. Ditch the Barnett scope. Doesn’t gather much light in low light and the one I got was way out of whack at 30 yds after a 10 yd zero (like miss the target out of whack). Added an eBay Excalibur scope (new old stock) scope for a great price. For an “entry” level price I couldn’t ask for more. 1” groups at 30 yds (my comfort yardage) haven’t tried the 90 yd shot yet....My point, you don’t have to break the bank to get into the Xbow game.

17-Dec-17

NickDlow's embedded Photo
NickDlow's embedded Photo
I have an Excalibur mico 355 fps with a hawke scope, ditched the stock scope. Bit pricy set up but it was an x-mas present for myself last year. I wanted a recurve xbow and this had the best reviews. All of them are noisy Just gotta make that first shot count. And I have an Xbow for no particular reason, just wanted one. Probably because I’m more comfortable with firearms. The grouping is great on targets, haven’t shot a deer yet. It’s my first season. Gl with your search.

Oh yea this scope has markers up to 100yrds. So when that 90yrd shot presents itself you’ll be ready... ha. Also illuminates the crosshairs for the low light shots, green or red.

17-Dec-17
I have a Barnett recruit with a Nikon Bolt XR scope. I added some string Jax and limb dampners for sound reduction. Shoots my 420 gr bolts at 305. Works perfect for me as I’ve killed many deer with it including some great bucks. All have been pass thrus. For around $450 bucks with a higher end scope on it. It works flawless. Not a higher or expensive crossbow by any means but she does the trick. Furthest kill shot so far 44 yds. Drives tacks from a bench rest at 60 although I’d never take that shot in the woods just saying how accurate she is for a low end xbow. I use it exactly for reason that you mentioned.

17-Dec-17
I use Excalibur crossbows. They are simple, they work, and they use high quality materials. When the moment comes I don't want to worry about the weapon I'm handling. Did I mention that they shoot flawlessly all the way to 100 yards?

17-Dec-17
100 yards group pic coming up soon

18-Dec-17
TEN POINT

18-Dec-17
I have a ten point....it has been bullet proof....worth the extra money....like all bows....shoot a few and see what you like best...

knowing now after using one for awhile...I would buy the smallest lightest I could find....they are a bit bulky

18-Dec-17
Recurve I used was simple and light. Compound was heavier and a bit more complicated. Sounds like Xbow is heavier still. Shouldn't things go the other way when you get older? I know my thinking process is getting simpler.

18-Dec-17
I bought a crossbow a few years ago. A wicked ridge made by tenpoint. A solid simple crossbow. I also got it for late season hunting when all the heavy clothes makes it hard to move. It also minimizes my movements before the shot. I only shoot to 30 yards. The bow is accurate much farther but why risk it. I love my Mathews for early season. It's a lot more fun to shoot in my opinion. I would say after 20 yds with my crossbow, drop is considerable. Accurate ranging is essential. If you can try a few different brands and styles all the better. Balance can vary greatly between them. Good luck!

18-Dec-17
Good to 90 yards.

18-Dec-17
90 or 100 - we have to meet in the field and settle this debate by taking few shots at beer cans. Excalibur Matrix is the king of fun.

18-Dec-17
i picked up a cheap barnett terrain xbow after a shoulder injury and am blown away with the performance. so many advantages over my bowtech compound. my favorite part is i can hunt sitting and laying down easily.

19-Dec-17

Buckiller's embedded Photo
Buckiller's embedded Photo
Instead of spending all your money on a cross bow, why not invest some money in quality gear that will keep you warm? I am nearly never cold on stand since I started investing in the right equipment. But this thing.

19-Dec-17
It’s a heated vest. Buy the Brunton battery pack with it. Last 3 hours on high (this setting will melt you). 4.5 hours on medium (mostly what I use). And 6 hours on low.

19-Dec-17
Also, duct tape hand warmers to your base layer sleeves (wrists). The blood gets heated heading to your hands and you almost don’t even need gloves.

20-Dec-17
Buckiller for sure you are ready for Christmas all wrapped like that. The electric archer coming to the woods. You are aware that animals can detect electric fields better than humans? Just layer with thin to medium garments and use the outer jacket zipper to regulate body temperature as you go. Wool, fleece and moisture wicking garments is what you should use. No need for batteries and adding more carbon to the global warming theory.

20-Dec-17
Go to CVS and get the back pain pads, they're nothing more than over sized pocket warmers. You can stick them to your back, front, chest, or where ever you like. :)

20-Dec-17
I got the these alpaca insoles....best 20 bucks I ever spent...my feet are never cold make the boots super comfy...they dont make you sweat either

31-Dec-17

DeerDan 's embedded Photo
DeerDan 's embedded Photo
Thanks for the input everyone! Well after reading reviews of xbows in my price range I went with Tenpoint Turbo GT. I really liked the feel and balance of some Excalibur models but they're a little to wide for me and wasn't crazy about the trigger pull. Right out of the box it's deadly accurate and seems to be hard hitting. Tenpoint recommends NAP spitfire mechanical heads and they fly really well. Gonna practice for a week and maybe finish out the rest of RI season with it.

31-Dec-17
Hmmmmm, looks very familiar. Congratulations on your choice and now it's time to christin the bo!ts. Stephen

• Sitka Gear