Topgun 30-06 23-Dec-17
tradi-doerr 07-Jan-18
brunse 01-Feb-18
keepemsharp 14-Feb-18
Topgun 30-06 14-Feb-18
WapitiBob 14-Feb-18
Topgun 30-06 15-Feb-18
17-Dec-17
My wife and I are going to take a vacation to Wyoming in June, mostly because we've never been there and know that it's beautiful.

We know that Yellowstone is a big attraction, but we want to see the other beautiful parts of the state while we spend our week there. I figure that you guys might have some good inside information.

Thanks,

TMBB

18-Dec-17
You could spend most or all of your week in Yellowstone. The Tetons are a must if you are going to be there for Yellowstone. Could be a fair amount of snow around up high if in early June especially. Head into Cody prior to Yellowstone, and head up the Chief Joseph Highway, going in at the Cooke City entrance. You might want to backtrack a little into the Beartooth along the way. Coming out, go south toward Jackson, then on south towards Bondurant. I've always wanted to go into the Green River headwaters area because everything I have seen from there looks spectacular. Watch out for griz though.

For other parts of the state, the Black Hills area is pretty country, but not near as rugged. You can see Devils Tower. Could hit that on the way out to Yellowstone, then drive over the Bighorns on Highway 14. I didn't even cover the south part of the state; there is just too much to list, and all depends on your personal interests.

18-Dec-17
Drive over the Snowy Range scenic byway into Saratoga and stay a night. Neat little town with hot spring pool and great fishing. Also go through Afton. Melvin brewery in Alpine might be a good stop for a beer, if you like hops.

18-Dec-17
Which way are you coming in? That might help my recommendations. A week can go pretty fast in Wyoming. 14A is pretty neat (if open from snow) Beartooth Hwy (if open from snow). Cody, Jackson down through the Star Valley all worth it. Black Hills are nice as well.

22-Dec-17

KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo

KC9's Link
If camping, I'd suggest Brooks Lake. I always stop there on my way through. Good, fishing/scenery. One year host said two 2 year old grizzly's were in our spot the morning before we checked in. I believe the campground opens June 15th, but I'd check. One year we went in 2nd week of July, and they had just opened.(Large snowpack). It is about 45 minutes North of Dubois and an hour from Grand Teton National Park. They also have a very nice all inclusive lodge that you can reserve cabins at that provide many activities from horseback riding, canoeing, fishing. Here's a shot of our campsite/view.

23-Dec-17
Thanks guys. We're planning on flying into Denver and then driving up to Yellowstone. We won't be camping, but still looks like it will be a beautiful place to see.

TMBB

23-Dec-17
Knowing that I would cut over west and go through western CO and on up through the Tetons and Yellowstone. Then I would go back to Denver by going out the east entrance of Yellowstone and on through Cody and either go on east over through the Big Horn Mountains to Buffalo and then back down to Denver on I-25 or go south from Cody down through Meteetse to Worland and then on down through the Wind River Canyon near Thermopolis to Highway 20 and east on it over to Casper to hit I-25 there to go south to Denver that way. Either way going back has some awesome scenery.

07-Jan-18
To many bow bob, The family and I took a trip just like this in 2016. We live in the Denver, Co area. We first went to the Black Hills area, both WY & SD. stayed in the mount Rush more area, tons there to see & do, also stopped at Devils Tower, a must do. Then we drove all the way across WY to Jackson Hole, stayed there and drove up into Yellowstone for two days, then did some site seeing in the Tetons. Then drove back coming South out of Jackson. Pm me and I can get together all the info of places we stayed and towns we went through. We plan on doing this again as 1 week wasn't long enough to see & do everything in both the Black Hills & Yellowstone.

01-Feb-18
Sheridan museum. Over the bighorns to big bear lodge. Tongue river. Spend the day up there. Leave either route 14 or 14a. Cody. Drive in/out of the south fork Shoshone. Chris Joseph highway. Cooke city. Lamar valley. Exit south end of Yellowstone. Head back east.

14-Feb-18
If you are close Cody museum is a must, plan on two days there.

14-Feb-18
Yep; the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum has so much to see that the ticket is for two days in order not to run through the place. You can spend a whole day just in the firearms section!

14-Feb-18
2 hours in there was enough for me.

15-Feb-18
Takes me 2 hours just for lunch, LOL!

• Sitka Gear