Wild Bill 19-Dec-17
GF 19-Dec-17
>>---CTCrow---> 20-Dec-17
GF 20-Dec-17
Bigbuckbob 20-Dec-17
Oneeye 20-Dec-17
Dr. Deer 25-Dec-17
18-Dec-17
Guys I just got a new spot to hunt about two weeks ago and there are a pile of deer there. I promised the landowner I would take a couple out this year. I'm not much of a deer killer in numbers, I usually hunt only mature bucks. Anyway he calls me on Saturday evening and gives me an update on all the deer he is seeing. Also during the conversation he says he doesn't want me to field dress any deer on his property. Have any of you ever run into this dilemma before and if so where did you take your deer to field dress them after the fact? Any ideas would be appreciated.

18-Dec-17
Notme knows a great spot you can dump all the guts. Haha ;)

18-Dec-17
I would do whatever the landowner requested.

18-Dec-17
That is a pain all the extra wt to drag out and then dumping it . I got one property and asked if I bury it and got the okay. So I packed in my foldable shovel worked great . Brought one home hung it over a paper box in a large heavy duty trash bag and that worked ok kept it contained. Shovel ia the best route.

18-Dec-17
Easy. Just get contractor trash bags and put them out in your regular garbage.

18-Dec-17
or gut them on a state land piece close not in the parking area...the guys get cleaned up by critters within a day ....

I had this once the home owners dog always got into the guts....So gutted them at my gun club

18-Dec-17
The landowner may not want the "sight of blood" on his property, especially if his neighbors are against killing the deer, so definitely ask if you could bag it out sight. Being that it's a NEW area I would tread lightly. Good luck, but it sounds like you won't need it:)

18-Dec-17
I had a lady she told me no cutting lol I bring it home lay it on a tarp gut it put it in heavy garbage bags and put it out to the garbage or just bring it to the dump if its a weekend

18-Dec-17
Dump the guts in a heavy bag and bring both out or do it when you get home..or yes like bloodtrail suggests..drop it up by me that way when my dopey nephew and his snot eating boy scout troop do theyre snow hike ill tell them the legend of 3finger chainsaw charlie is true and thats the remains of a wayward boy scout...lol

18-Dec-17
Rich, I have a property that I can't field dress deer on. I muscle them into my truck and bring them home. I've tried the kitchen table but the wife didn't care for that idea so much. so now it's out in the garage and bring the remains to the transfer station.

18-Dec-17
Thanks guys for your input. I've pondered all those suggestions. Even the one where I bring it to Notme. LOL Anyway he doesn't want me to do it there because he has little kids and some other landowner told him the guts would attract coyotes. I didn't have much to argue against that line of thought so I will acquiess to his rules The place has some good buck potential and many does, so the future looks good, but it is in a neighborhood setting. No margin for error on shot placement for sure.

18-Dec-17
I like the boy scout idea the best. Teach the youth of today to behave by showing them what's in the bag!!

18-Dec-17
I field dress at home!! Wait... what???

I take the deer home and field dress into a heavy duty construction strength garbage bag then take it to the dumpster.

18-Dec-17
Ya bbb thats how i learned..sal the fist and crooked nose tony showed me my first 55gl drum of...oh uhhh candy canes..ya thats it..respect the candy cane...phew that was close

18-Dec-17
I almost never gut deer in the woods these days. Mostly because of landowners and neighbors having dogs that get into it. I also noticed less coyotes hanging out on these properties since we stopped leaveing dinner out for them all season. Not I just dump them in a rock crevice behind my house. When the coyotes get too bold there, I trap them.

19-Dec-17
That's a bummer, but, the hole will still leak blood.

I once shot a doe on private property and she ran onto another lot. Well I got permission from the lady of the house to recover the deer. I had to drag it to the truck in the driveway and she leaked a stripe of blood all the way there. Once in the truck, the blood began to run out the weep holes in the front of the bed, and as I drove off, blood dripped from under the tail gate and down the back bumper. I met the husband at the foot of the driveway as he was returning home and mentioned some of the blood that had dripped where I loaded the deer. He says to me,"You mean like that?" as he points to my parked truck with a huge pool forming under the tailgate. I told him I would clean up that before leaving and pulled the truck off the drive and on the side of the road. It was pretty cold as I hauled pails of water from a nearby brook and washed down the blood. Actually left a film of ice on the ground in that spot.

IMHO, the guts are less of a problem than the volume of blood.

Forewarned is forearmed, be prepared.

19-Dec-17
My landowner in Ridgefield used to have a dog that would Gorge on a gutpile and then Purge on the living room carpet.

I don’t have a truck anymore, so I use a sled. Not only makes it a lot easier to get the animal out of the woods, but it’s a great catch basin for everything that leaks out. It’s actually a lot easier to dress them out when they’re hung up, so if it works out OK. I just bag it up and at this time of year the garbage men will never complain because they don’t want to blow their Christmas tip!

I can give you a hand this week on Thursday before practice, but not on Friday… That’s my favorite figure skater’s birthday.

20-Dec-17
My landowner in Ridgefield used to have a dog that would Gorge on a gutpile and then Purge on the living room carpet.

Yup. Happened to me once. And the gutpile was 300 yards from the house.

20-Dec-17
Heck - landowner’s dog used to smell ME from a good 150, and that was after I’d gone full court press on the scent control!

20-Dec-17
And think about what a deer can smell

20-Dec-17
I go to the drivethru car wash after a dressed deer in the bed of my truck. Sometimes pretty messy. Dont tell the car wash people.

25-Dec-17
I carry a cheap 6x8 blue tarp from home depot. Gut it in your driveway and roll up the tarp around the guts, slide that in to a heavy duty trash bag and take it to the dumpster at work.

• Sitka Gear