onX Maps
New Mexico Deer - Unit 36
New Mexico
Contributors to this thread:
BG 19-Dec-17
19-Dec-17
I drew this archery tag and hunted for about 7-8 days in September, which was my 1st attempt at mule deer hunting. It was a tough hunt, saw about 10 bucks but was never able to get within bow range. My son, who doesn't have a tag, is a senior in high school this year really wants me to take him NM to camp, hike etc. for a few days on his Christmas break. We're planning on leaving TN and driving out on 12/27 and do some hiking / scouting. I saw some cool country during September. I enjoyed the hike up to Nogal Peak, the Monjeau Peal Fire tower and we also hunted at Fort Stanton and saw the petroglyphs along the river. I'm thinking about taking him to some of these spots while we are scouting around. I'm thinking about camping/scouting in the area around Bonito lake. I plan to hunt January 1st -3rd.

A couple of questions: (1) Any other scenic sites that we should try to visit on our trip? (2) As far as scouting for the 2-3 days that I'm going to get to hunt, should I focus on the Bonito Lake area or try to check out some of the NF land closer to town?

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Brad

• Sitka Gear