Boris 03-May-18
Mfastfred 06-May-18
Boris 06-May-18
Boris 24-May-18
notags 29-May-18
Mountain sheep 31-May-18
bowbender77 01-Jun-18
19-Dec-17
Well, my daughter has decided to leave Arizona an move back to Pa. Its not that see does not like it there. Its what the State is paying their teachers. She looked all over AZ. She is an Art teacher K-12, with a dual masters degree in art therapy. She has been there going on 5 yrs. an is making 32,000. The most she was offered any where else out there was 36,000. No wonder teacher don't want to go to Az. My daughter has a teaching job offer starting the school year 18-19 in N.E. Ohio starting at 51,000. I was out there in 2016. Was watching the news. The sec. of education was asked, why is it so hard for Az. to attract teachers to our State. Answer: when you have States around Az. starting their teachers at 10,000 a year more, were would you go. I am going to miss Az. I loved the heat and weather. Maybe your State government needs to get their heads out of their butts and start putting more into their educational system. An I mean better pay for teachers.

20-Dec-17
Did she apply to any private schools here?

20-Dec-17
just the public schools.

22-Dec-17
The answer is very simple. Arizona voters keep electing legislators that do not value education.

Good luck to your daughter.

23-Dec-17
are these not the same people that state" we need to have the best and brightest employees for our businesses" ????????????????????????????????????????????????

23-Dec-17
Arizona is a 'right to work state', which historically have wages (all professions) much lower than states that are not 'right to work' states.

23-Dec-17
Arizona ranks 49 out of 50 for teacher pay with Mississippi being number 50. Although AZ keeps electing anti-public education legislators the real problem when they get into office is that many of them have vested interests in charter or private schools. Their interest has nothing to do with providing a better education for AZ children but everything to do with putting money in their pockets.

The following is a list of all the right to work states who have figured out how to pay their teachers more than AZ with the exception of Mississippi: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri (effective August 28th, 2017), Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia

Another problem with AZ is that we attract a lot of retired people. Many retired people do not think it is their responsibility to help fund public schools since they no longer have children. They forget, when they had children people helped pay for the education of their children in the way of taxes. Nobody wants to pay taxes but there are certain things that should be funded. Education and public safety should be a priority.

23-Dec-17
Here is a fact: On average it costs roughly $65000 per year to house one person in prison. But, it cost on average $10000 per year to educate 1 student. Does not sound right.

24-Dec-17
the problem is not the $$$$.. Its the IDIOTS who spend it. The $$$ is there its just spent on other stupid things... One great example is a stupid train that runs thru a small part of Phoenix that will never pay for itself or generate one penny of revenue. PERIOD NOT ONE RED CENT>. And yes we vote these people in that promise everything and deliver nothing. I could go on a rant about politics but Ill leave it at this....

24-Dec-17
I have a granddaughter who just started teaching in the valley. I would agree with elktrax, it's not that they don't have the money, it is how they prioritize it. Most school districts are very top heavy , with administrators and staff. Before anyone accuses the "old folks" of not wanting to fund education, that person may want to go to some of their local schools and do a headcount. Count the number of teachers and what their salaries are, and then count the number of administrators and staff and what their salaries are. I am a mere 75 years old and have no issue with funding education. What I do object to is how those funds are distributed and what they are spent on. If you don't understand the difference, then we will not see eye to eye on this topic. In all my years of voting in elections both here in AZ and in California, I cannot recall a time/year that there was not a hue and cry for more funding for education. There is NEVER enough money! If one looks at what the US pays per student for their education and compare that to what other like nations spend per student, if money was the key the USA would be way ahead in the quality of education the students get. We are not and it isn't because of how stingy the old folks are.

25-Dec-17
Arizona taxpayers also have to pay to build schools and hire teachers to teach tens of thousands of illegals, none of whose parents pay taxes to fund those schools and teachers. That also spreads the funds pretty thin.

25-Dec-17
StickFlicker is spot on ! To make matters worse we have RYNO SWAMP DONKEY reps the likes of Jeff Flake that want amnesty for all the illegals to fatten up the liberal voter base.

26-Dec-17
Sorry people, I knew it was not good. But, I did not realize it was that bad. She is home for the holidays. An yes, we are getting hit hard with snow. We have over 2 feet of snow. In just over 24 hours. More to come. it's lake effect snow. Day time highs for the next week will be in the teens.

26-Dec-17
If all the money AZ spends on illegals went to education AZ would be at the top . But they have to keep the liberals and illegals happy.

26-Dec-17
It was just reported on the news. Erie, Pa. and surrounding areas got a total of 53 inches in 30 hours. Its sad when other countries people matter more than our own.

27-Dec-17
The thing that bothers me the most, is that we give illegals free health care, since hospitals are not allowed to turn them away and must treat them free for any ailment. Americans, who can't afford the high cost of healthcare (driven even higher due to the high costs of treating non-paying illegals), have to pay for all treatments...

28-Dec-17

jdee's embedded Photo
Sitting on the deck this morning 12/28
jdee's embedded Photo
Sitting on the deck this morning 12/28
Ahhhh...The sun is shining bright over southern NM this morning. I don’t live here for the money I live here for the mountains, the 300plus days of sunshine per year , watching big elk come through my place every few days ,the hunting/riding my horses on over a million acres of public land right out my back door. I’m rich by just living where I live.

28-Dec-17
Hey jdee, you need some of the snow that erie, pa got. 102 " for the month of December. An we are not done yet. Oh, it is snow right now.

28-Dec-17
Thanks Boris but think I'll pass. Best of luck to your daughter.

29-Dec-17
Erie county Pa. is to get another 2 feet by sunday. Starting this afternoon. Sounds like Cleveland, Oh. Will get about 1-3 inches. My daughter is leaving on Saturday afternoon.

29-Jan-18
Make sure she buys a lifetime hunting license before she leaves????

12-Feb-18
I just went though a ton of research on this topic. Got married 2 years ago. Wife is an English teacher in China. Her daughter, who is also an English teacher, also wants to move here and teach Mandarin. I live in Illinois. So in advance of her move, I had to pretty much educate myself on the requirements and states that had the best salaries/pensions and low cost of livings. Everywhere I researched pointed to the Midwest and east to Pennsylvania/NY/NJ. The stepdaughter got admitted through an agency and is now attending Eastern Michigan University. She already had a master's degree from Leicester U in the UK. She will try to qualify for some state certifications early and exit the program she is in. Illinois has the highest salary/pension combo but is also broke in large part to that, so I can't recommend her to come here. I suggested Ohio, Pennsylvania or Michigan.

That being said, the bad part of that formula is I am in the process of joining the masses, and getting the hell out of Illinois. Highest property taxes and combined taxes in the nation. I'm shopping for a home over the state line in Indiana NOW. The last 1.2% state income tax deal was the last straw for me.

18-Feb-18
Zim1, you are correct. But with Arizona, a teacher works 5 years and gets a total of $500.00 dollars in pay raises. Why is it that our business people want the best and brightest people to come and work for them. But, they do not want to support their employees? Just like our government. They have no educational training, but they are going to tell a teacher how to do their job. They come up some hairbrain system to grade our teachers. WHY? Do we have a grading system to grade our government and can get rid of them if they are not doing their job right. Why is it when a politician gets shot, it goes on for weeks if not for months. Then their recovery is plastered all over the TV. An a teacher or even the students. WHO???? Sorry people for the rant.

18-Feb-18

25-Feb-18
Will be in Arizona in june to bring my daughter home.

25-Feb-18
So what did your daughter decide to do?

26-Feb-18
Well, she is going to come back to Pa. to finish her masters degree. Plus, she has about a 95% chance of getting a teaching position at her mothers school district. Which will mean a 15000 dollar pay raise. The best part is the school district is very proactive in the arts. Instead of having $250.00 for supplies for 550 students, she will have over $20,000 for supplies. An when see finishes her masters, which is a dual masters. She will be making over $60,000. An the cost of living here is alot less than it is there.

19-Mar-18
Funny thing, I just read an article on yahoo about a teacher that posted her pay stub. Said that the governor of Az. made that statement teachers are making an average of 48,000 per year. Now she got a 131.00 per year pay raise which took her annual salary to just over 35,000. Makes you want to laugh. My daughter told me that Az. is now almost 4000 teachers on the hole. Sad. I know that I will be there in June to move my daughter back to Pa. I know that I will miss the warm weather.

20-Mar-18
Kansas isn’t any better on salaries! I’m in year 8, contract is $31,600. As masters would help, but the cost of pursuing one is high! I am the athletic director, coach 3 sports, head grounds keeper and somewhat part time janitor just to make a living.

20-Mar-18
I have been reading that more and more States are looking to follow in the steps of West Virginia. An that is to strike.

01-Apr-18
I saw that Arizona is following west Virginia in teacher strike. An I heard that there are more States to follow. People, stop an think about this. A teacher spends the same amount of money on their education as a business or accountant major. Why is it in most states that a teacher is required by law to either get 24 credits or masters to get their permanate teaching license. An if they do not get it within 4-6 years, they lose their teaching job. People bitch because they feel the teachers are not teaching what they should. Yes they are. They are teaching what our state government officials say they should be teaching. How many of our elected officials have teaching degrees. Think about it.

02-Apr-18
Not a good time to be an educator in AZ right now. Your daughter is leaving at a good time.

02-Apr-18
She really does not want to leave. But, with the pay scale and her bills. An then have a dual masters degree, an only making 35000. She has a very good chance at getting a teaching position in her mothers school district. She will be starting close to 60000. She has many friends there. She really loves it there. But the State of Arizona does not care about the teachers that are to teach the children of Arizona. An that is why Arizona is hurting for teachers.

02-Apr-18
She really does not want to leave. But, with the pay scale and her bills. An then have a dual masters degree, an only making 35000. She has a very good chance at getting a teaching position in her mothers school district. She will be starting close to 60000. She has many friends there. She really loves it there. But the State of Arizona does not care about the teachers that are to teach the children of Arizona. An that is why Arizona is hurting for teachers.

20-Apr-18
Well, I hear that the teachers voted to walk out. Good for them. I also hear that Arizona is still over 3000 teachers short. My daughter told me that more than half of the staff at her school is leaving.

26-Apr-18
Hopefully the red4ed movement can affect some positive change to public school education and funding.

26-Apr-18
Just got back from the March.

27-Apr-18
They closed the schools and some where there for half day.

03-May-18
may the teachers rock on...............

06-May-18
Teachers got 20% over 2020, schools are back in session, they do this because they love what they do. I took my granddaughter to ChikFila for lunch, started a conversation with the fast food manager, he told me his former job was a high school math teacher, ChickFila paid more, that's sad

06-May-18
Thanks for the report. My daughter told me that one of the teachers in her district is working as an assistant manager at Walmart in Show low an making almost double what she was making as a teacher. The sad part is she has made so many friends there. It is braking her heart to leave. But, she knows that moving back to Pa. she will have a better chance at a better paying job. And to finish her dual masters degree.

24-May-18
Well people Friday is my daughters last day. My wife and I will be arriving on the 5th of june. Getting a truck an heading back to Pa. She does have job prospects, plus she will be able to get with her advisor to plan and finish her Masters. She has told us, several times that she is going to miss her friends. But as we all know, Arizona does not care about their teachers. Oh, an I just saw an article , Arizona is ranked 49th in pay. Hmmmm

29-May-18
Your daughter had 49 other choices for states to teach in. She accepted the job knowing the pay. Our Governor pushed through a pay raise granting them the requested increase, and they still stayed out of work, disrupting many familie's lives for an extended period. . The school year was not the time to strike, IMHO. The strike is over, let it go.

31-May-18
Thankyou notags, I was wondering how long we had to listen to this drivel!

01-Jun-18
Bye by.

• Sitka Gear