skookumjt 21-Dec-17
redclub 21-Dec-17
Novice 21-Dec-17
bowhuntndoug 22-Dec-17
RJN 22-Dec-17
northbound 22-Dec-17
Scott wis 23-Dec-17
21-Dec-17
Hi guys just joined this site.Food plots I have a place where I hunt deep in the woods a flat area less than 1/2 acre have to do it all by hand what do I plant , fretlizeor spray with pretty open any help would be nice

21-Dec-17
You will likely get a lot of heat from some members that don't agree with food plots but I will give you some ideas. The most important thing is to do a soil test first. Without it you might luck out and have great success, but it is not likely. The soil test will tell you what you need to do to the soil to be successful. If your pH is too low, all the fertilizer in the world will do you no good. If you don't have enough organic material or micronutrients, your plants will fail and/or be unpalatable.

Beyond that your soil type is critical in determining what will be successful. If you have clay, loam, sand, etc. some plants will thrive and others will struggle.

How wet is the soil? How much sunlight does it get? Both have impacts.

What are your objectives? Do you want to provide early forage to help the deer recover from winter? The highest quality forage available ro up your odds during hunting season? Provide high energy forage in the winter to help the deer survive?

It can be as simple as frost seeding clovers by hand in the spring and hoping for the best but the more thought and preparation you put in ahead of planting will pay off in the long run.

You will also get a lot of advice about seed. Don't believe that the co-op seed is the same as QUALITY seed that has science behind it. On the other hand don't believe the hype of the really expensive seed with the fancy bag with the big bucks. Germination rate, mixes that compliment each other, age of the seed, and plenty of other factors make the difference.

21-Dec-17
You could spray with round-up,Then plant clover which will grow anywhere. If You get grass weed then spray with Clenthodim(sp). A hand spreader and sprayer will work fine.

21-Dec-17
I would suggest looking at Grandpa Ray Outdoor website. Very informative. He has a blog and does a lot of education. I tried a couple of his seed mixes this year. Pretty sure there are other members using some as well.

22-Dec-17
Agree with novice. We planted a number of his seed blends from Grampa Rays. All did well. In fact deer ate them so well by muzzleloader season some were completely gone. Get a soil sample; you will be happier with the results if you know what your soil needs.

22-Dec-17
You will need a hand sprayer and a hand broadcaster. I would also blow all leaves off the plot. Spray glyphosate in the spring and mid summer. In late Aug broadcast winter rye and ladino clover. Rye will cost you $15 A bag and 5# clover will be $20. For $35 dollars you will have a great food plot. No need to spend the big bucks. Welters seed co.

22-Dec-17
There's so much to this you'll get addicted and never stop learning just to warn you.....

Major points as already mentioned soil test, I wasted much money on fert when lime was more important. Beginner plots look at winter rye (not rye grass) oats, some clovers depending on ph. Over priced buck on bag mixes are actually practical in my opinion when starting out and don't need to buy bulk amounts.

Don't use throw and grow if you ever intend to have serious plots. The Gulf annual rye grass is a nightmare to get rid of in years to fallow.

One mix for first plots I like is sucraseed sweet spot. It's a high sugar rye grass that's different from the cheap rye grass. It's a perennial and deer actually eat it. Easy to establish and has some clover and chicory in the mix as well. I remember grandpa ray has a certain mix with the same high sugary rye. I used this as my lawn at a place in upper Michigan. I don't need to mow grass anymore as the deer take care of it. In a ag area it likely wouldn't be as much of a draw

Buy a nice sprayer and a lawn dethatcher (assuming you have a quad to pull it) to start. I've got lots of toys but those basic ones are most important and best of all their cheap....

again warning it can be real addictive, may spend far more than you want to down the road.

23-Dec-17
Thanks guys will see what happens in the spring.

• Sitka Gear