bowandspear 23-Dec-17
Moons22 23-Dec-17
Belchertown Bowman 23-Dec-17
Moons22 23-Dec-17
Pi 23-Dec-17
xi 23-Dec-17
BruceP 23-Dec-17
22-Dec-17
Time to go play in the snow with my father. Today is most likely the last chance we have to harvest a deer. With the 6-8 inches of snow on the ground and a crusty hard layer it makes things difficult for the deer. Now add 10 more inches of snow. The deer are all going to head down the mountain. Today is the day I walk through every swamp, bedding, and feeding area my clown feet will take me. Good luck if your out!

22-Dec-17
Good luck man. Heading out soon. Wonder if bowhunterman is hunting today?? Does he even hunt? Lol!

22-Dec-17
Good luck man. That’s a lot of snow!!!!

22-Dec-17
Had a deer come by in the dark. I think small buck. Turkeys are fired up this am??? Very talkative. Even a few gobbles

22-Dec-17
Just shot a big doe 4 of them came in there's still some around me gonna keep sitting! Pretty sure I made a great shot

22-Dec-17
Moons !!!!!!!!

22-Dec-17
Moons, I'm jealous. Congrats man. I'm out at a solar farm. No, really. I am. Lots of sign, good trails, and wind was in my favor until 2 minutes ago.

22-Dec-17
She ran towards the people that are members of the Audubon and cried hysterically last time they saw me drag a deer out...

22-Dec-17

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
So here's the predicament. Arrow has gut on it and a big pile of white fur. Snow is starting to come down now. I have to give it time I know, but how much? What do I do?

22-Dec-17

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo

22-Dec-17
Nice moons hour or so quit here z8

22-Dec-17
If the snow will kill the trail then get on it before it is gone otherwise give it an hour or more. Follow it, Slowly . Try to get a peek at her. Be ready to let one fly. Real slow . If you cant shoot again ,then at least you know where she is. Really really slow.

Edit: Good decision to wait , with the snow holding off . Let us know.

22-Dec-17
FK.79' You tease ! "Did you know that Solar cells are really just ... And that they should .... and ..... with them .... and in the end it will only .... a few .... without ...... and then it will have to ...... till finally we are all just ....... . Seriously , I think the .... and ..... will .... until .... the end !

But that's common knowledge right ? ;o)-*== o O ( *) ( ) ( )

22-Dec-17
Moons, looks like the arrow came out the bottom (and likely guts clogged the exit hole)... if that is the case, you probably don't have much of a blood trail and the snow really won't make a difference... I am guessing that the deer ran off hard - judging from your initial post? I would give the deer a bunch of time (4 hours if you think you caught liver, more if all guts, especially if you don't have a trail to follow...) only my opinion...you know more about the shot and the reaction of the deer. Congrats and good luck, Mmmmmmmmmmoooooooooonnnnnnnnnssssssssss!

22-Dec-17
Moons mark point of impact and what you can see for blood trail spots right now with some bright colored tape/ties or whatever on branches above ground while you can before snow covers blood trail, continue as you go. That way if you have to back out you have not lost everything. Good luck.

22-Dec-17
Thanks. Just watched the weather doesn't look like the snow is really gonna come down until about 2. Gona go back around 1230 and track slow. Bow in hand. There was some dark blood on arrow too so I think I got liver. Pretty confident she'll be close

22-Dec-17
Moons do not follow it for 10-12 hours . You will probably need to do a body search but she won't be more than 100-150 yards from where you shot her. If you push sooner than that you probably won't find her. I'll help you later today/tonight if you want. Be patient you will find her.Good luck brother !!

22-Dec-17
Moons, My experience is any stomach hit is fatal. Just a stomach hit is a 12-24 hr wait.as mentioned, You probably will not see much blood as the stomach will absorb it for a long time. Good call to wait a few hrs. If you do not find her in the first 100yds. Mark your location and back out and look tomorrow. She is a dead deer. Congrats on your season.

22-Dec-17
That deer is dead, DONT bump it. Even if you have to resort to grid search this afternoon, it won’t be far. My experience is first chance they get, they will lay down.

22-Dec-17
Good luck on the recovery Moons. Make it happen.

22-Dec-17
I have poop everywhere a run to my left inner run to my right I have the orange tinks doe in estrus bottles out behind set of small Pines to cover my scent and to cover seeing me. I'm between their food and their bedding. Where the hell are they? It's chilly enough for them to move. The bad weather has not come in yet, so they should not be bedded down yet. Everything is perfect. Except that they are not following the script. Don't they watch the hunting shows like the rest of us?

22-Dec-17
Moons - are you behind my house? if so, happy to help later today if you are cool with a couple unruly 6 year olds helping to find blood... Good luck - always frustrating when that happens.

Good luck to the rest of you. Passthrough enjoy that time with your dad!

FK good question...

22-Dec-17
Haha I wish Will, that would be fun! I'm in eastern z10. I talked with two of my mentors, both have killed hundreds of deer. They don't see eye to eye anymore but both told me the same thing. Liver into gut. Both recommended I go in around 1, with the snow coming in. Slow slow slow. 6 hours since shot. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks again everyone I really appreciate it

22-Dec-17
GL moons! Slow is the key term. Pretend its a spot and stalk!

22-Dec-17
Good luck moons, I believe I work in your neck of the woods if I recall. Let me know if you need help.

22-Dec-17
Moons, definitely looks like a gut shot as you know. Unfortunately it can take at least 12 hours and maybe even over 24 hours for her to pass. Be very careful about what you do. If you do bump her going in, just back out til tomorrow, even with the snow. Goodluck and definitely keep us posted.

22-Dec-17
Respectfully disagree. Good blood on that arrow also. That deer is dead

22-Dec-17
November, are you disagreeing that it was a gut/liver shot? You can see guts on the arrow and there's plenty of belly hair in the other pic. Unless you are referring to something else. If its a liver/gut shot, that deer is not dead yet, but it will be.

Don't forget, a deer can live over 48 hours on one lung. I hit one 2 years ago in one lung, liver, and guts and it was alive 24 hours later. My buddy also one lung/liver hit a deer that they ended up finding alive OVER 48 hours past the shot. The good part is that this deer wont go far. I would honestly consider not even going in until tomorrow.

22-Dec-17
Is there water nearby? Cuz that’s where she’s headed.

22-Dec-17
Sosso, I completely agree. You find water, you will find that deer, maybe even IN the water

22-Dec-17
Alright I'll ask. I totally agree on wounded deer heading to water I have seen it. But why? Is it an instinct where they think a predator has hurt them, time too loose my tracks and scent?

22-Dec-17
The deer I see are generally live, at a distance, and rare. This gives me a lot of time to think. I have thought that the thing about wounded deer heading to water might be simply due to their tending to run downhill.

22-Dec-17
The paunch gets into their blood causing there blood to become poisoned. This causes flu like symptoms and fever. Which causes severe thirst. Thus they head towards water because they crave it. They are also most likely hot due to the fever, so laying in water would help to cool them off.

22-Dec-17
Moons, you know what your doing. Slow is steady and steady is right.

22-Dec-17
I've heard that, about the thirst, come to think of it.

22-Dec-17
I found a great spot and have a very comfortable tree and root ball to sit on. If this place doesn't produce I will never cuss again , join a monastery and give away all of my worldly goods.

Must take all and wife too.

22-Dec-17
So I tracke slowly. Blood very consistent. 150 yards in she stands up and starts slowly walking away. Hurting bad. Took a shot and missed. She tried to trot off but could only make it 20 yards before she stopped. She will be dead in the am. Should have listened to some of you guys. Lesson learned. Not a good feeling knowing she's suffering but it's all part of it. I thank all of you guys for your advice. Hope the coyotes don't find her. Haven't seen or had a pic of one in months

22-Dec-17
Moons, if she's that bad off, and you live close, you could go in at like 8 or 9PM. It's a risk though. Most likely better off crossing the fingers that the storm keeps scent down, and any local yotes off her... You just shoot to get in at daybreak. Good luck! I know that's a long night... fingers crossed for you!

22-Dec-17
Will the problem is it is so friggen thick in there that going in with a flashlight would be useless. Need to wait for light. Long night for sure

22-Dec-17
If you have coyotes around Id go back in tonight. If she oly went yards shes in tough shape. Odds are in another 4/5 hours she will be dead.

22-Dec-17
Good Luck Moons You will get her, be patient. Good things come to those who wait!

22-Dec-17

VtTransplant's embedded Photo
VtTransplant's embedded Photo
Nothing better than hunting On a snowy late December evening. Good luck out there.

22-Dec-17
Moons, crazy but it worked for me . Hang some tee shirts or regular shirts you and anybody your with on tree branches upwind of her. She smells them and won't move, coyotes smell them and don't like the human factors. Good luck

22-Dec-17
Z10 Got setup at 130 had a doe come behind me to about 5 yards at 330, it was snowing pretty good and started icing over. I turned a little to get a look and she knew something was up and backed out, second time getting made from that stand that i just threw up last week... must look like a tumor on the tree, oh well plenty of time to find a better tree for next year. Moons good luck with your doe, sounds like you'll be dragging tomorrow!

22-Dec-17

BruceP's embedded Photo
BruceP's embedded Photo
Glad I decided to skip out of work early today, Christmas came a little early...

22-Dec-17
Merry Christmas, Bruce ! Enjoy it, glad your back.

22-Dec-17
Great looking buck Bruce!! Congratulations!

22-Dec-17
Nice buck Bruce, well done!

22-Dec-17

Passthrough's embedded Photo
Moons you will have her in your hands in the a.m. nixe deer bruce congrats! I saw no deer today. They have moved down the mountain. But i found a parting gift for the season. Drop tines right side. But the drop was broken off. Ill see him next yesr hopefully. Must have dropped the same day as the pic. The antler was 50yds behind my camera. I was there on the 19th a mile away.

22-Dec-17
Congrats BruceP , Merry Christmas .

22-Dec-17
congrats, Bruce! Moons, can't wait to see your meatpole post in the morning ...me....I had a doe 40 yards at 4.35...muzzleloader cap fired no big boom...reloaded new cap....doe still though with head on swivel...fire...fizzle and muzzleloader vomitted my sabot 30 feet....clearly powder issue or cap issue or breech issue...pissed....have a new set of rules for my ML season...only new powder for hunting seasin...fire two caps b4 loading to clean reminents..leaving charge in rifle at constant temperature might not be best strategy....I had big butcher plans for this doe...now I have to clean a m uzzie and wallow in self doubt....

22-Dec-17
Bruce - that's awesome! Congratulations on the fine animal. Let us know the full story when you get a chance, and enjoy.

Passthrough -what a great find. Discovering sheds is always super cool. Congrats!

23-Dec-17
Urban-H , That is a bummer man . Sorry for you. What are you using ?

I have not had any failures to fire even with older charges/ 777 pellets . Or charges left loaded for months. One year it was spring time before shooting it off and still perfect . (I keep the pellets in a zip-lock) My setup has a tight fit with the sabots at one end and a tight locking breach at the other . No moisture gets in I believe.

23-Dec-17
Passthrough , nice find . But, am I missing something ? Isn't it rather early for them to drop off ? Where are you at with "the mountain" ?

Always interesting to learn about other areas.

23-Dec-17
Bruce, congrats! Urban that sucks!! Sorry man. Pass through that's one hell of a find.

23-Dec-17
Pi im in the berkshires zone 2. I dont knoe why he dropped early. Healthy deer from what i can gather. When the snow gets too deep and food is no longer available the deer heard up and head to a lower elevation where food is more plentiful. Happens every year. Deer all over one day. Gone the next.

23-Dec-17
Moons, talk to us.

23-Dec-17

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Found her coyotes got to it what are your thoughts on eating it? Front shoulders and backstraps?

23-Dec-17
Way to go Moons. I say the back straps and shoulders are good to go. How much of the butt was eaten? Passthrough that is one hell of a deer. Urban that sucks man, what muzzleloader out of curiosity?

23-Dec-17
congrats moons and passthru! the doe doesn't look too bad other than the back end no? amazing how quickly the yotes smell them out.

23-Dec-17
congrats moons....plenty of meat left on that doe.... just trim wide of damage... what did u learn from shot? pure guts or did get liver too?

(i will start a seperate thread for my ml woes)

23-Dec-17
Urban - bummer! I missed that above... Definitely not the experience one hopes for... exciting though.

Moons congrats! If the part near the butt that was clearly eaten was all that they got into, I would agree with the others, trim wide and you will have 3/4 + of that deer perfectly ready to make xmas tenderloin or stew or what not :) Ditto on Urban's comments, what did the necropsy tell you?

23-Dec-17
Low and back I couldn't tell if I sliced the liver with my knife or if the broadhead sliced it but it was just about a 1/4" slice in the liver, other than that pure guts. A terrible shot.

What I learned, any sign of guts I'm waiting 24 hrs. Was just worried about the snow. Also to practice religiously even through the end of the season. No excuse for a shot that bad at 20 yards broadside. It happens I know, but I know I am a better shot than that. Also, I am buying the lighted noks. From the stand I reLly thought I made a good hit.

Thanks again everyone and merry Christmas

23-Dec-17
Congrats Moons! Every day in the stand and every deer harvested is a new learning experience. You found her, to me that’s important closure and dedication to you for going back for her. As others said. The areas where the coyotes got to, cut wide around. Plenty of good meat there.

23-Dec-17
Congratulations Moons !! Lighted nocks and patience you are learning Grasshopper !! Just kidding man good job and Merry Christmas !!

23-Dec-17
Good job Mr. Moons. Agreed , cut wide ,wash it and cut again . You will save most of the hind end . Feed the dogs what is questionable .

23-Dec-17
Never give up, ever. Congrats moon.

23-Dec-17
Good thing the year is almost over or you guys in zone 11 wouldn’t have any deer left due to Moons. I think he shattered the deer harvest record in MA lol.

23-Dec-17
Glad you found her moons!

23-Dec-17
Spike, z10!! If anyone wants/ needs meat let me know. I have plenty and would love to help out some fellow hunters who were not as lucky as I was. Thanks again guys

23-Dec-17
Eat it,.. for gods sake,.. that is just a nibble

23-Dec-17
BB, trust me, I'll eat it. We ice fish a lot. We eat venison every time. I know a lot of guys on here hunt their balls off, and aren't as lucky as me. Would be happy to help any of you guys out with meat

23-Dec-17
.....And the "Nice guy" award goes to "Moons."

23-Dec-17
Then he doesn't make the "Bitch list". Can't have both !

23-Dec-17
Will, the story with that deer started in the morning. I went out for a quick 1.5 hour sit before work. Saw nothing and was in the truck headed out. When I turn out of the driveway of the small farm I'm hunting I look back into the farm and see three deer (buck and 2 does) at the edge of the field but almost in the back yard of another house. Obviously, I decide that work can wait a little longer and I head back to sit another stand that might give me a shot, depending on which way they move. Could've shot all three from the driveway but that would probably get me a court date so I passed :-) Didn't see anything for the next hour and they were gone when I left. No idea where they went but it wasn't past me.

Fast forward a few hours. Everyone is bugging out of work early so I figure I can bail early and get the last hour and a half in the stand. So I've been real good at choosing the wrong stand lately and now I'm trying to pick between two. They are only about 70 yards apart but offer very different shooting opportunities. I make my choice and get settled in. Not too long into the sit I hear crunch crunch crunch through the snow. Here comes what looks like a decent buck (pretty sure the same one from the morning) walking past the other stand but he's coming straight towards me so I think I didn't necessarily pick the wrong stand again, I'm gonna get a shot. That's about when the doe coming in behind him bangs a hard left and he stops and follows. Now they are both about 50 yards out but behind enough brush that I can barely tell if they are still there. Once again I think, "crap, I picked the wrong stand again". If I was in the other stand that deer would already be on the ground.

For 15-20 minutes they don't move a muscle. I can sort of make out what I think is one deer but I'm not sure. I try a soft grunt. Nobody moves. Meanwhile the snow picks up and it's coming down hard enough that it really starts to impact visibility.

Finally he moves out into somewhat of an opening. There's a little brush between him and me but not a lot. I would never attempt the shot with a bow but shouldn't be a problem with the smoke pole. But now there's a new problem, he is facing directly away from me. Still have no shot. My heart is about ready to jump out of my chest.

Another 10 minutes and I hear something moving out to my right. He hears it too and turns just his head to look/listen, and then finally turns his whole body. I settle the crosshairs behind the shoulder and slowly start to squeeze wondering when the shot will come. Boom! I see him take off through the smoke and run about 20 yards, stop, take 2-3 steps and go down. I'm gonna reload but I don't want to take my eyes off the spot where he went down just in case he moves at all, so I wait.

If I had reloaded right away I could have doubled up. About a minute after the shot the doe that was with him steps out in to the open, giving me a full broadside for about another 30 seconds or so. I had thought she was already gone before I fired on the buck. I'm kind of slow reloading the ML so she moved away before I was ready to go again.

Anyway, good heart shot and easy recovery. About a 50 yard drag downhill with the slickness of the snow helping. Could back my truck right up to that point. Sometimes you just gotta love suburban deer hunting.

• Sitka Gear