notme 03-Feb-18
grizzlyadam 03-Feb-18
apache 03-Feb-18
grizzlyadam 04-Feb-18
jax2009r 04-Feb-18
Wild Bill 05-Feb-18
skipmaster1 06-Feb-18
22-Dec-17
What is the best harness....Currently I have a Muddy....although easy to put on and has a nice Bino clips it has metal clips for your legs....they make noise if they hit your stand...

so what is the best one and why....I am looking for quiet

i dont care on price...you buy it once and it last for years

22-Dec-17
The one you always wear while climbing. Kidding aside look for HSS or Muddy the vest models. They can be used over and under clothing, and are good all season long from September to January. The have plenty pockets which will eliminate the need for a backpack. Whichever brand - model you decide to purchase please replace the carabiner as the one that comes default with either product is OK but you need EXCELLENT. As far as the metal buckles at the bottom making noise as you walk you can stage them or cover them with bicycle tubing. My HSS vest model came with elastic covers that slide over the buckles to avoid noise. They do come off as I walk and I have to pull them back on the buckles. The best way is to stage the buckles in such way that they will not touch while walking.

HSS - https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety-System-Treestalker-Harnesses/dp/B003C0EF6A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513959420&sr=8-2&keywords=hss+safety+vest

Muddy - https://www.amazon.com/MSH800-L-C-Muddy-Top-Flight-Harness-Combo/dp/B00TP7TW8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513959488&sr=8-1&keywords=muddy+vest

Mad Rock Ultra Tech HMS Triple Lock Carabiner - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E2Z0TW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

22-Dec-17

nehunter 's Link
I use my Hunter Safety System® Elite Harness With ElimiShield® and love it. I keep all my essentials in the pockets plus my rangefinder stays put in its own pocket. I actually wore mine two years ago while Bow hunting Moose in Vermont and I never hunted out of a tree. Quiet and comfortable the buckles are rubber coated for silence.

22-Dec-17
thx...I have the least expensive Muddy is most likely why it is noisy....go figure lol

22-Dec-17
Jax buy a can of plasti dip and spray them it’ll help

22-Dec-17
Good idea... Flex seal

22-Dec-17
Yup it’ll help bud

22-Dec-17
Bicycle tubing is better. Safer because it does not interfere with the latching mechanism. Plastidip is good but not for this application. Any shred that interferes with the latching mechanism will render the buckle non-functional, defeating the purpose of a safety vest.

22-Dec-17
The muddy I have it's not a buckle.... Not sure what it's called but nothing snaps

22-Dec-17
Hi Jax,

I looked at a video for the Muddy harness and they call those buckles cam locks. It looks spring loaded to me. I would suggest that you stitch a couple of fleece sleeves. Make them long enough to enclose the buckle. Stitch some elastic into a tube on one end of the tube you are making. Sew the non elastic end to a spot above the buckle on the nonadjustable side. Then sew the tube shut along the side towards the elastic end. put a knot in the elastic so as to draw the opening slightly closed and trim off the ends. You can now roll the sleeve above the fixed end of the strap, above the buckle, and then roll it down over the buckle once you have the leg loops in place and adjusted.

What are you using for a tether? That is, the attachment to the tree?

23-Dec-17
The muddy belt or the climbers rope.. I have both.... I think I like the belt better.... I don't trust my knots

23-Dec-17
The summit harness that Lee and Tiffany endorse comes with a life line and a climbers rope.... I'm going with that

23-Dec-17

SixLomaz's Link
Noooo ... do not do that. You need a way to get up and down the tree from the beginning to the end being attached to said tree. You need to get a figure 8 knot at each end of 12 foot static rope with a sliding prussic knot made with 7 mm climbing rope. Look at the link above to purchase the Hunter Safety System Rope-Style Tree Strap if you do not want to make it yourself. Just replace the carabiner part with the one I posted earlier.

23-Dec-17
I prefer a rock climbing harness. Super light, comfortable and I can add/remove upper layers while still tethered in. It's also nice because I can step off my stand and use it like a saddle to shoot behind the tree or to manuver my stand around branches or adjust the belts as the tree tapers.

26-Dec-17
x2 on the rock climbing harness...

01-Feb-18

nehunter 's embedded Photo
nehunter 's embedded Photo
I got two free harness's. Came with new tree stands. I usually throw them away but these are actually pretty nice. Tangle proof and very comfortable. Just pay for shipping and they are yours.

Great for back up in case you forget to bring your own.

01-Feb-18
The one you wear. End of story. After that you can get picky.

02-Feb-18
soapdish...you must not of read the original post...It states I have a muddy,,,I dont love it...makes some noise...looking for a new one

NE HUnter if you are offering me that...thx you...I have about 8 of those and I have a muddy harness that I do not like....it makes some noise

02-Feb-18
I'm offering to anyone. I have seen others that are free with stands, but this one is one of the best. Hate to just toss them into the trash if somebody wants them.

02-Feb-18
Jax my bad, just a blanket statement for all. I use a hss vest with buckles. I use either a summit viper climber or a hang on stand. Never had an issue with it making noise. Not to say it can't, just hasn't happened.

02-Feb-18
Notme gave me one that he said attaches to the ceiling and comes with handcuffs and whipped cream. He didn't provide instructions so looking for some help with how to use. Guessing the cream is for bait?

02-Feb-18
Should also come with a ball attached to a strap, very peculiar set up for sure. I asked for the same setup at Cabela's and I get some strange looks..... except from this one gal, she looks kinda mean though

03-Feb-18

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
I wore one of these during the war..lol...bbb pretty simple bud

03-Feb-18
Ohhh, that hose goes on the mask. I had applied to another part of my body. Thought it was a drain so I could stay in the stand and freshen up a scrape. Thanks.

03-Feb-18
Wellllll your partly right bob...drain/containment system all in one..use your imagination here

03-Feb-18
I used the decent harnesses that come with stands, and I have used the best ones money can buy from the hunting industry. They equally suck as far as I'm concerned. The only good thing about them is that they may save your life in the event of a fall. I'm going to try rock climbing harness next, sounds like it may be a better option for me.

03-Feb-18
Have tried many over the years. Really like the - Tree Spider Micro Harness the best. Its lightweight, Easy to put on, doesn't get tangled up, Comfortable, and compact for storage.

04-Feb-18
What are your reasons for being against a RC harness for hunting? I don't want to buy one then regret it.

04-Feb-18
I am going to buy the summit ..looks like the best one

05-Feb-18
If you want to see how a climbing harness fits you, tie your own, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssmYruwGTzM

06-Feb-18
Pat, I'm in the tree at least 50 sits a season. Usually more. The same goes for my buddy. We have both been using RC harnesses for 5 years now. Neither of us would ever go back. I find that the rope gets in my way much less than a vest with a tether above my head. It also lets me step off my stand to shoot behind the tree, like a saddle would. We use exclusively climbers and a lot of times picking a tree in the dark and occasionally miss seeing something. If the tree tapers fast or a branch is in the way even we get up there, the harness lets us comfortably and safely work around it. We always wear them over our clothes. Mine fits me all season. My buddy needed a second bigger one for late season layers. They run $50-$60 so buying two isn't a huge cost. I'm Right handed and this is how I'm tied in and manage the rope. I tie in at my right hip with my back to the tree and give myself just enough line to turn all the way left to shoot. That way a can also turn back all the way to the right and face the tree. I have plenty of tag end line, so if needed I can give myself as much slack as I want. They are not for everyone, but for us it's not a fad or hip. For us it's simply the lightest and most versatile, while remaining 100% safe way to tie into a tree. Some people will never be comfortable without shoulder straps and while they can be purchased for a RC harness, they'd be much better off with something like an HSS. My buddy and I have rock climbed and rappeled a bunch in the past, so we are very comfortable hanging with no shoulder straps

Anyway. I'm not arguing. Just explaining what works for us.

• Sitka Gear