Montana
Contributors to this thread:
md5252 23-Dec-17
Bigdan 24-Dec-17
Irishman 24-Dec-17
SoaringEagle 09-Jan-18
BigOzzie 12-Jan-18
23-Dec-17
Hello all, looking to find out who the biologist or wildlife manager is for Region 1

Also, anyone have any opinions, experience, or info about hunting elk in the NW part of the state, especially around Columbia Falls?

Thanks and happy holidays!

24-Dec-17
That would be some of the worst hunting in Montana for elk the are a few elk in the north and south fork of the flathead but them same areas our full of griz.

24-Dec-17
As far as contacting the biologist goes, just call the Region one office for FWP. You can find the number on the Montana FWP site. Bigdan is correct, the NW is far from the best place to go elk hunting in Montana, most of us from the NW end up going to other parts of the state to hunt. However, there are some elk in the NW, just not the numbers there are in other parts of the state.

09-Jan-18
While elk numbers are not high anywhere in R1, elk do exist and there are not very many hunters compared to R2, R3, R4, R6, and R7. There are also some very big bulls, but they're difficult to find and hunt, though most big elk are. Hunting conditions are usually tough, but if you work hard, in my opinion, excellent opportunities exist. If you're not a MT resident, I'd suggest hunting CO since MT has far too many hunters. BigDan's statement about the North & South Fork of the Flathead is spot on in the vicinity of Columbia Falls. I'd look more to the SW portions of R1 for better elk opportunities, but of course that's not immediately near Columbia Falls. Good luck.

12-Jan-18
Lived in the area all my life, and if you survey the people that kill elk every year, they are not doing it here. there are a few that kill every year in the area, but the highest percentage are going somewhere other than here. It is thick here you just don't see elk, they are there but you don't see them, go to the south or to other regions and you see elk.

oz

• Sitka Gear