bigcountry 23-Dec-17
drslyr 24-Dec-17
Belchertown Bowman 24-Dec-17
Jebediah 24-Dec-17
drslyr 24-Dec-17
Jebediah 24-Dec-17
drslyr 25-Dec-17
23-Dec-17
I came to these forums for tips and tricks,.. here is one I learned recently in a sit for some of you newbies or lurkers checking this site out,..

So after hunting a bit with my new muzzle loader,.. I was sitting and practicing,.. "Ok deer comes in,.. what next?",.. Well, I practiced cocking the gun,.. I was stunned at the loud "CLICK"! when the hammer clicked back,.. I feel a deer could of heard that pretty easily from some distance, and gone into alert mode,.. staring at me,..

Now maybe ya wanna stop one in its tracks and the click would probably do that,..

But if ya want a way to cock the gun silently try this,.. It is a little tricky,. with the hammer down on the primer,.. (uncocked) .. I pull the trigger,.. nothing, obviously happens,.. keep the trigger pulled while pulling back the hammer,.. when the hammer is at full pull release the trigger,.. then gently let go of the hammer and you will be at full cock with no noise,..

At least on my CVA Optima ,.. this is the case,.. umm point the gun at the ground while doing that! Just saying,.. in case ya screw it up,..

BB

23-Dec-17
Do you have a safety? If so, why not cock the gun and keep it un safe until ready to fire?

23-Dec-17
Interesting. My TC Omega clicks when I cock it but I certainly wouldn't call it loud. Pretty quiet actually.

23-Dec-17
No safety on my new Optima ,, Loud click ,.. least to me it is loud. Guessing a deer would hear if one ear was facing me.

Anyways just a trick i learned,.. for my paticular situation.

Shared for others

23-Dec-17
My cva I pull the trigger as I pull the hammer back ( carefully ) if they are real close then let off the trigger . Cuts the noise in half . Only did it once

23-Dec-17
Yup my cousin taught me that trick years ago. Been doing it ever since. Totally safe in my opinion.

23-Dec-17
Yep ..same way to cock a lever action without the click...

23-Dec-17
No click on my bow.....they never hear a thing...lol....

24-Dec-17
Yup same with the TC encore. Squeeze the trigger pull the hammer back and let go of trigger. silent. I got busted in NY popping a flip up scope cap. It was snowing so I had them closed. Had a deer come by at 50 yds. She stopped dead in her tracks hearing it, of course behind some impenetrable brush. Then when see decided to move she went trotting off.

24-Dec-17
I think at least for me doing a dry run on everything I can,.. helps me out,..

I have also started practicing a full pull on the bow when up in the tree stand too. That is how i found out all my puffy clothing, full pockets and deer grunt can be a problem! It is easy as pie in a tee shirt on the ground,.. not so much in the real world tree sit,.. started emptying out front pockets and not hanging grunt around neck,.. The puffy coat is bad enough without all that other stuff adding to the mayhem,..

24-Dec-17
I like to take a practice shot (talking with the bow) from the tree with some regularity. Like at a leaf on the ground, or whatever. I carry a cheapo arrow reserved for this.

24-Dec-17
Jeb just curious, What does the bow and you talk about ?

24-Dec-17
Well, sometimes we tell each other jokes, other times we get in an argument. So between the laughing and the shouting, we don't see many deer.

25-Dec-17
When your arguing, does he miss on purpose just to piss you off?

• Sitka Gear