casekiska 23-Dec-17
RutnStrut 23-Dec-17
Fivers 23-Dec-17
skookumjt 24-Dec-17
Tweed 24-Dec-17
skookumjt 24-Dec-17
ground hunter 24-Dec-17
23-Dec-17
I had to go to a clients property this afternoon to take delivery on a excavator that he bought. This is a new property for him so I took advantage of needing to be there to go acquire some survey monument locations so I can fun his property lines for him. I had some history with the property with the prior owner but had never really had a chance to do any quality scouting.

I was able to walk right to both of the monuments that I needed which is always a bonus. Along the way I found a trail leading to a bear den with the bear in it. I didn't go very near it, just close enough to see if it was occupied. A second bonus. As I made my way out I did some wandering and found two phenomenal funnels coming from a huge tract of county forest onto this new property. Both were obviously being used as travel corridors and had been for a long time. Bonus number three. Then I followed an old logging road that was getting pretty well overgrown and dead ended on a peninsula. I spend a lot of days in the woods between work and my fun time but I have never seen such a well defined and long used rub line as went down that old road. Several great stand locations along it for several different winds. Bonus number four. I also found two islands covered with beds with very distinct bottleneck leading into each. Bonus number five. It was a beautiful sunny winter day in the woods and I have never learned so much valuable information about a property in such a short period of time. It was a great afternoon in the woods. I am grateful that I get to live and work in the woods.

23-Dec-17
So is bonus #6 that you actually got paid for your time during your fun and educational day?

23-Dec-17
I guess so. Actually that is an interesting side note. We have to work out some details but I will be able to hunt the property as well along with being hired to do work on projects. The property is a little over a 1000 acres and is in the section I live in and the adjacent section. The landowner is a client that I worked with on his previous property on the other end of the county. He lives in California he and I get along pretty well and he recognizes the value of having someone here all the time to watch over the property and be available when he needs something done. I think it will end up being that I charge for specific projects that are property related and other things that are related to hunting I will do for nothing or a reduced cost to cover wear and tear on equipment.

This is a property that I had been trying to get a friend of mine to buy but he dragged his feet too long and it was sold to the new guy. I have been on some pretty phenomenal properties all across the northern 2/3 of the state and I honestly feel one has more potential than any I have seen. I am so excited to have a property this awesome this close to home to manage and watch develop. It's a land manager's dream come true.

23-Dec-17
A 1,000 acres in Wisconsin, non-Ag is ginormous!

23-Dec-17
Sweet!

23-Dec-17
It has about 60 acres of tiled field on it that hasn't had anything done to it other than cutting hay for at least ten years.

23-Dec-17
It also has a block of county forest adjacent to it that is roughly 12 sections with no access within a few miles of this property.

23-Dec-17
Seems you've hit the jackpot.!

23-Dec-17
You discovered GOLD!

23-Dec-17
Sounds sweet skook. Now we will expect to see a trophy pic of you with a dandy next season.

23-Dec-17
Skook-

Are you a land surveyor? If not, you probably shouldn't mention that you are running property lines on a public forum, you can get in trouble for stuff like that.

24-Dec-17
Five Rs. No I am a forester. We set up "harvest" boundaries every day.

24-Dec-17
Fivers could you elaborate on what would be wrong if the person (not skook) wasn't a surveyor?

24-Dec-17
Legally only a surveyor can establish a property line. Anyone else connecting a line between two survey monuments with a sub meter GPS or compass has to call it something other than a property line.

24-Dec-17
that is nice now with that land, you can truly manage big bucks,,, I know a guy who has 700 acres in Marquette Co, but it is being sold

• Sitka Gear