Rut Nut 07-Feb-18
Rut Nut 07-Feb-18
RC 07-Feb-18
Stekewood 07-Feb-18
Bob McArthur 11-Feb-18
Stekewood 12-Feb-18
25-Dec-17
Good morning and Merry Christmas,

Well tomorrow starts the late season and I know there are still a lot of tags to be filled. I've spent the last few weeks scouting, and trying to locate some prime locations to put some additional venison in the freezer. Temps will be cold next week with the highs not getting above freezing and the lows in the teens. This is my favorite time of the year as 90% of the deer occupy 10% of the available ground. Also, cover is about nonexistent, so approach, and departure from stand is key, as deer can see a long ways in the sparse cover.

Good luck to all who brave the conditions and be safe out there, and post 'em if you get 'em

25-Dec-17
Yep, I like it. It adds some challenges, but if the snow is just right, it can make for some very quiet stillhunting conditions and I love sneaking around in a fresh snow when it's laying heavy on all the trees and brush. Soooo quiet.

25-Dec-17
I'll get some exercise if nothing else.

25-Dec-17
Deer drives with good friends and stick bows!

25-Dec-17
Trying to convince myself to get up tomorrow morning. Supposed to be in the upper teens with 10mph breeze. *sigh* Trail cams have been showing a lot of activity between 8 & 9:00am.

26-Dec-17
Got an invite from a girl I used to work with's husband, it a tiny spot that's infested with deer surrounded by a public walking trail. Has about 16 does and 4 bucks there pretty much daily, the biggest is a 12 point with bases as big as my forearm. Only catch is he wants to keep the mount of the buck after I get one. I'm not to happy about burning my buck tag on buck that I won't be able to have on my wall but it's down to the nitty gritty time of the season and at least I'll have a full freezer.

What would you guys do?

26-Dec-17
I'd hunt somewhere else. Sounds like shooting fish in a barrel and that guys sounds like a weirdo.

26-Dec-17
You dang horn hunters.... Be a man and hunt the big woods.

26-Dec-17
LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

26-Dec-17
Ah turn your electric blanket up go back to sleep boy: )

26-Dec-17
Ah baloney, I've seen that tv antenna ya hunt with:)

26-Dec-17
Bonafide, go in there and shoot some doe! Guy does seem like a wierdo

26-Dec-17
Shoot a doe, or the smallest buck. Ol' Weirdo won't want that one mounted ;^)

26-Dec-17
There ya go horn hunter, shoot a doe. Then ya could mount it..

27-Dec-17
He's a non hunter, Hindu Indian man. It's a very expensive house in a affluent area in Allentown, he said it would be cool to keep the deer with the house where it once lived. I'm hoping if I do get one and he's happy with it that any future harvests I can keep in years to come. And I've been hunting the Big Woods all year thus why I'm deerless, nothing to my liking to take, passed up to many little ones.

27-Dec-17
Bonafide,

You certainly don't need the blessings from this forum to do anything. Go hunting, fill your freezer, don't worry about us.

Besides, deer are deer. Once they realize you are chasing them with pointy sticks they may not be such a sure thing.

27-Dec-17
LoL I'm definitely not asking for anyone's blessing, just painting the picture of the situation I'm currently in. I agree it's odd and very peculiar but it is what it is. Have tags will hunt.

27-Dec-17
Does this guy have Pitbulls? :)

27-Dec-17
I would hunt his property and probably shoot the first legal deer that presented a shot. If it was the 12 pt, I would take lots of pics and maybe get a replica made of the rack.

27-Dec-17
Yeah, we're just jerkin around. Shoot whatever ya want. What would I do? I'd shoot the first legal deer that offered itself. If antlers went to him, so what. I have boxes of them that I never look at until it's time to make something out of em.

27-Dec-17
What kind of sportsman makes an offer like that? No sportsman, IMO. I smell a rat...that guy's invitation with those strings attached is a huge red flag to me. I wouldn't accept because I wouldn't trust him.

27-Dec-17
His property, his rules, I get it. Who other than a hunter wants to mount a deer's head? I' wouldn't step foot on that property, What would happen if you shot one of the other bucks? Would he get pissedoff if you shot another one instead and cause a problem for you? Don't laugh at that thought, because the above scenario seems like one experienced by me and a buddy of mine on a property in Whitemarsh Twp., Montgomery County back in the 90's. We got accused of tresspassing because my buddy shot a deer he shouldn't have. A deer the landowner (my buddy's co-worker) never told us he didn't want shot.

27-Dec-17
There's no expectation of shooting the 12, there's 3 other bucks that frequent his property and he's indifferent to me shooting any of them. I know them well, I worked with his wife for years and he was going to start hunting a few years ago and I was gonna show him the ropes but his work, he owns a business didn't allow it. I have no issues with pissing him off, he's not like that, only thing I'm a little wary of is a shot deer wandering off his land and drops in front of the tree hugger on the jogging trail. I'm gonna call him tonight and iron out the details and decide if it's something I want to pursue. The replica idea has crossed my mind but from what I have heard they can be expensive, he's loaded so I might try to get him to pay for a replica if I can lol.

27-Dec-17
Take your trusty crossbow and go shoot one.

27-Dec-17
The Chief came over today for a little trad bow deer push. After warming up our recurves at my range we walked over to the woodlot. Tracks everywhere!

I placed Greg at Lance's Tree(Lance-0, deer-3). You either get a 10yd standing shot or a good view as they walk by at 35yd. I looped around the woods and walked through the bedding area behind the Dollar General. Soon I was on a beaten path of fresh tracks that led to the frozen stander. :)

When I got there he showed me where 15 does and fawns passed by 35yd wide left! They picked up speed and ran right by my house. Cool! We picked a better ambush spot for next time, shot my bag course, and parted ways. My kind of late season hunting!

27-Dec-17
Good hunt, Dave.

27-Dec-17
Thanks for the story Red, at least someone's hunting!

27-Dec-17
Gonna spend all day Saturday doing deer drives with some of the 5C boys. Maybe we'll do a live hunt.

27-Dec-17
When we get rid of some of this snow and the temps. get over 20 degrees, not 0 degrees. Here in northwest Pa. we got hammered Made national news.

27-Dec-17
I got invited some years back to hunt along a walking trail. I was and I'm still amazed at how tentative the deer was towards me compared to a walker. Best of luck.

27-Dec-17
I was out this morning in NJ. 0 deer. Hunted Pa this afternoon. Saw 12. With the moon directly above at about 4:30, I had deer moving at 3:00. No shots, but kept me entertained in the 19 degree temps. Good luck guys!!

28-Dec-17
Temps in teens makes for squeaky snow. All I saw were six tails.

28-Dec-17
My son was out yesterday morning using the flintlock. Still hunted a small ridge. Covered about 200 yards in three hours. Saw nine doe and one nice buck. Saw several doe with a buck about twenty to thirty yards behind. Gave a few grunts....lost sight of the buck and gotta a little antsy and decided to move towards where he last saw the deer. Made it maybe twenty yards or so, and spooked the buck that was headed slowly towards him. Needless to say the buck left quicker than when he was coming in. Told my son, nine deer, one good buck on a bitter cold wind morning....you had a GREAT hunt!

29-Dec-17
Good story Bowbender!

30-Dec-17
Had grandson Tyler out today until he got cold. Seen 5 deer one was very nice buck. I'd heard of him but this was my first sighting. It's a little chilly outside but the beauty of fresh snow in the woods is awesome.

30-Dec-17
Bill V and I went out this morning and did some of our late season one man pushes. Moved some deer, they weren’t anxious to get up, but in the end no shooting opportunities.

31-Dec-17

Bob McArthur's embedded Photo

31-Dec-17

01-Jan-18
Seen a buck tending a doe, and some other does this morning. Very easy to get with in 50 yards but to crunchy to get closer. Tracks galore foxes after the mice, yotes after the rabbits, turkey tracks, a gobbler at 20 yards. Beautiful morning and not another human track in the woods since the snow came. Hunters have access to some unbelievable gear, but the will to be out is definitely in decline around here. I mean snow and its muzzleloader season, would have been easy picking with a smokepole!

01-Jan-18

Quiet paths to my stands.

04-Jan-18

Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Had a fun hunt yesterday evening! Had 6 doe and fawns come out. Took the biggest one at 20 yards.

04-Jan-18
Bennie.....You are the best I ever seen :^P

04-Jan-18
Way to go, Ben!! Congrats!

04-Jan-18
Congrats, Ben.

04-Jan-18
Nice Ben, finally some pics coming in. Is that a Switchback XT?

04-Jan-18
Bowjo, no that's the drenalin

04-Jan-18
Planning on be out Saturday. Going to dress warm. About 4 or 5 of new snow today. Hopping the wind isn't to bad

05-Jan-18
It should Mike, with all your hot air...:)

05-Jan-18
NICE DOE!!!!

06-Jan-18
Good job Ben!

08-Jan-18

7 degrees & 13mph wind, Sat in blind from 6:20 a.m. to about 11:00 on Saturday 1/6.

08-Jan-18

08-Jan-18

09-Jan-18
Shot a Boone & Crockett doe last night.

Field dressed @ #142

09-Jan-18
The Chief came back for another deer push. If you remember the last hunt several deer went by out of range. We picked a new spot that should have been a sure thing.

Wrong!

13-15 deer stopped right beside the previous ambush spot. All Greg could do was practice draw on the herd 30 yd away. Just too far for an ethical shot with his longbow. Crap!

10-Jan-18
Congrats Joe. Red, LOL.

10-Jan-18
Way to go, Joe! However, I think you are mistaken, my friend....that one makes the Spoon & Crockpot book!! :-D

10-Jan-18
Way to go Joe! But that wasn't the best part of the story............................................ ;-)

10-Jan-18
The only sure thing in deer hunting is that there is no sure thing in deer hunting.

11-Jan-18
Nice Joe!

13-Jan-18
Today was supposed to be spent with my trad bow friends shooting, hunting, cooking dogs on the fire, etc. Not happening with temps in teens and blowing snow.

Next year.

14-Jan-18

Bowbender's embedded Photo
Not a flintlock!!!
Bowbender's embedded Photo
Not a flintlock!!!
Convinced myself to get out of bed. Was not looking forward to 25 degrees and 20+mph winds. The plan was to arrive right at sunrise, 730-ish and still hunt thru a really thick area that leads to a food source. Anyhow, get there, gear up, open my gun case to get my flintlock out and....

14-Jan-18
Looks like you forgot your ramrod. ;-)

14-Jan-18
forgot the clip:)

15-Jan-18

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
A different kind of late season action with my son.

15-Jan-18
Wow, that's either a little kid....or a big cat!!

15-Jan-18
Yes, called him in with cottontail in distress call. This was our second ever set up trying to call a bobcat.

16-Jan-18
Cool! Congrats!

18-Jan-18
Nice cat!! Congrats!!

18-Jan-18
Nice.

19-Jan-18
Where in the heck have Bill V and his little buddy been all winter?

19-Jan-18
Who cares:) LOL

20-Jan-18
Hey,hey,hey watch it!!! I shut it down since Dec. bum knee, operation next Friday.

good luck guys,, shoot em up these last 2 weeks.

bill v

21-Jan-18
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Bill.

21-Jan-18
Hey Art. I got one couple weeks ago in the sub artic temps. Up in your neck of the woods visiting my daughter at SRU.

21-Jan-18
Thanks RC

22-Jan-18
Good luck with the surgery Bill!

Brian- congrats on the Slippery Rock Deer! ;-)

22-Jan-18
Takes a real mountain man up here Brian. LOL. Way to go.

24-Jan-18
My post came across wrong. Shot the deer in NJ. I was at SRU visiting my daughter that weekend.

24-Jan-18
Heading out for one last try this afternoon in PA. Archery 5C. Been seeing tons of deer each day lately. 15 a night lately. No shooters.

25-Jan-18
Finished out the PA season last night. Interesting that I have been seeing lots of deer lately. In the teens each night. Last night saw 1. He saw me from 150 yards upwind and I was WWWWAAAAYYYYY up in the tree. January deer are sure tough to hunt.

Onward to 2018

29-Jan-18

Trail Cam pic of your's truly, 01/2018

29-Jan-18

Another trail cam pic of yours truly, 01/2018

30-Jan-18
Is that Bevis or Butt Head wearing the dunce cap?

31-Jan-18
Bob- I see lots of Selfies here................................but no (dead) deer pics! ;-)

31-Jan-18
Bob finally found his trail cam!

31-Jan-18
LMFAO!

01-Feb-18
What ever happened to the selfies of the trespassers messing with your stands?

01-Feb-18

Stekewood's Link
“Bob- I see lots of Selfies here................................but no (dead) deer pics! ;-)”

Shoulda been killing instead of posing, Now the pros have to be brought in to get the job done.

01-Feb-18
Oh geez!!!!!!!!!! I hate it when I hear about Sharpshooters getting paid for what we could do for free!

01-Feb-18
The Upper Dublin hunt proved once again that bowhunters can’t get it done for free......

01-Feb-18
Well, I've shot 4 doe behind my house, in UD...none counted towards the Controled Hunt, because it was on my properety.

So let's talk about the Upper Dublin Hunt and some reasons why it's not as successful as it could be. One reason is there are way too many hunters in the program for the miniscule amount of township property we're allowed to hunt. Guys get patterned early, and don't change stand sites. Another reason. and it's a big one, is the times we're permitted to hunt. In the mornings, you must have your bow back inside your car/truck by 9:30 am. You may not bring your bow back into the woods before 2:30 pm. Most deer are shot between 10:00 am & 2:00 pm...and we can't hunt. Another reason is some township residents interfere with people's hunts, as well as damage some hunters equipment...my friend had the straps on his climbing sticks cut. There's some other reasons as well, but I think you get the idea.

02-Feb-18
Well, if that is the case Bob, it sounds like it was set up to fail! Never heard of a crazy rule like that where you couldn't hunt after 9:30 or before 2:30! That's just crazy!

02-Feb-18
Yes Perry, it is set up to fail. Here's another reason, the hunters are not permitted to use bait, even though baiting is legal in the SRA. Granted, I don't use bait on my property, don't need to because it's a funnel. The "Sharpshooters" they are paying, will be using baited sites.

03-Feb-18

Yodameister's embedded Photo
Last drive of the year!
Yodameister's embedded Photo
Last drive of the year!
Well this hunt is from last week but I thought I’d share. Wednesday I finished work early and made the 3 hour drive to Pittsburgh to hunt with my brother. We made it out to one of his spots around 430. There was a fresh dusting of snow and flurries were falling all evening. There were several deer already moving. We tried a stalk and got within bow range but were picked off by an unseen deer. My brother tried to loop around and push them back to me but they ran into a residential area. My brother jumped another deer in the process and sent me to a different stand to try to intercept it. He ended up pushing it right past me. I drew back as it came within range but it was coming straight at me, then turned and went on the other side of my tree only 5 yards away. I tried to swing 180 at full draw but she saw the movement and quickened her exit. So close... In all we saw at least 7 deer.

The next morning we started a drive at a new spot for both of us soon after first light. The whole hillside I was watching was soon covered with deer heading my way. Unfortunately, they turned down about 150 yards out from me. I counted at least 11 in the first group and four more a few minutes later. The second drive produced five more deer, which made it within 80 yards but also turned down over. Two more short drives produced some more sightings by my brother of uncooperative deer. The next three drives we were skunked. My brother saw a few in the next drive but none came out to me.

Finally, with just enough time and energy for one last drive, our luck changed. I caught movement in the brush 50 yards away and immediately came to full draw as a nice big doe and her fawn closed within 10 yards and stopped to reasses the situation. The doe was facing me almost head on and there were some big branches in the way. I expected her to break to my right and be in the clear in two steps. Instead her fawn plowed past her and nearly ran under my outstretched bow arm. The big doe took a slightly different trail and passed by me at 4 yards. There was no stopping her and not a whole lot of aiming at that range. I let instinct take over and released my arrow. The doe crashed off into the brush and stopped about 50 yards away. I could just catch a glimpse of movement and hear the leaves rustling Everence few minutes. I could see my arrow sticking out of the ground at a 45 degree angle from where the deer had been when I shot. When my brother came we looked it over but only saw a little blood on the fletching. There was good blood on the ground 3 steps from where I had been standing. We decided to wait a few minutes before following the blood trail because we could still see movement and hear some thrashing around every few minutes. About 30 minutes after the shot we proceeded on the trail and soon found her. This hunt was the perfect ending to my season and I sure had a blast with my brother hunting in the Burgh.

07-Feb-18

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo
I just had to post this one for everyone busting on Bob.

07-Feb-18
Thats Just cruel Smoke. He said he shot 4 behind his house, not 4 behind his house this season. ;-)

07-Feb-18
LMBO!!!!!!!! : )

07-Feb-18
Maybe we should ask Bob how many of those 20 tags he filled? (THIS YEAR ;-)

07-Feb-18
Bob's all dressed up with no place to go:)

07-Feb-18

11-Feb-18
Perry, 20 tags? You need to learn how to count. I had six 5D tags and filled five of them. I did pass up a lot of shots on my property during the first 4 weeks of the season. Passed up a lot of bucks too. I had one 3D tag but sold my house in Monroe County before the season started...never opened the envelope. I had two 5C doe tags that I didn't fill, only hunted 5C for three days during the 5C doe hunt.

I could have filled that last 5D doe tag in January had I used training wheels like the rest of you guys. While you skirts stayed in your warm frilly beds because it was a little cold outside, I was out hunting, just about everyday. But I understand why, you didn't want to mess up your hairdo's with a wool cap. :)

12-Feb-18

Stekewood's embedded Photo
Stekewood's embedded Photo
Almost half of your tags wasted????? Shame on you. ;-)

• Sitka Gear