Trapper 27-Dec-17
Crusader dad 31-Dec-17
CaptMike 31-Dec-17
Jeff in MN 31-Dec-17
Trapper 31-Dec-17
happygolucky 31-Dec-17
Pete-pec 31-Dec-17
25-Dec-17
Hunters or fishermen ? That buck I shot almost every hunter I talked to in the area before I shot my buck said they weren't getting any big bucks on there cameras . Now that I shot it there telling me where they saw it and a bunch said they had pictures of it this year . After having my bait shop for the first few years I learned when someone came in with a nice bunch of fish not to bother to ask where they caught them because most tried to steer you in the wrong direction . So I never ask anyone where they shot a deer or caught fish that way I don't have to worry about telling the wrong person .

25-Dec-17
Fisherman lie more.

25-Dec-17
Depends on the individual or group.

Here on Bowsite there are many PMs sent and the posts are generally positive helpful.

Fishermen on the other hand......

25-Dec-17
that's funny,,,,,, I have a friend who now lives in Crawford County and shot some bruisers,,,, got a 176 this year, on the ground at 8 steps, sent me the photos for xmas....

When we had a camp in Bayfield County many years ago, after tags were filled we would scout together,,,, He is one of the best woodsman I know,,, anyway, everytime we found, a great spot, he would say " oh yeah I got a stand picked out in here already"

ha ha ha,,,, what a liar, but it was fun,,,,,, we would fake each other out,,,,,,,,

25-Dec-17

25-Dec-17
Sharing tactics and tips is different from sharing hunting and fishing spots. I have no problem sharing methods but giving locations is not something I would do on any forum that is open to the world to view. As a hunter or fisherman, my spots are my spots, my methods you are welcome to if you see any merit in them.

25-Dec-17
I was wondering when everyone was going to catch on when they ask me what I've been seeing or have on cam and every time I say " spikes and forkys" lol. That info is revealed after the season or when the big one is on the ground.

25-Dec-17
I got a huge mule deer buck a long time ago and was showing the picture to some guys and one said he had that buck at less than twenty yards but couldn't get a shot. He said lucky for you that I couldn't get a clear shot. I then asked him what part of Colorado he was hunting and then the tongue-tied speechless look came across his face but all in all I'd have to say fishermen are the worst.

25-Dec-17
My cameras cover 35 miles . I will tell them what I have on camera but not on which camera . I mostly fish Musky if I see a big one I will tell them appox where its at the odds of them catching it are pretty slim .

25-Dec-17
Have to agree with the fisherman being worse, I have been tournament bass fishing for some 35 years and these guys will B.S. any way they can, some of them are really good at it and some are not, some of the B.S. is really easy to tell.

25-Dec-17
Fisherman. We tend to not give all the details...hunting pretty honest in our group. Everyone respects each other most times.

25-Dec-17
Muskie fishermen are really good for a lot of BS. So, i have to say fishermen. Hunters exaggerate more than lie.

25-Dec-17
With fishing the ground is public so it’s easy to tell a story. But hunting most private land one can try to be honest to a point. But with so many people starting to open their wallet to gain access to land that hunting honesty is slowly going away too. It’s incredible what some will do for a deer. Not just big deer either.

25-Dec-17
About a horse apiece. Im not sure if there's more 6 foot muskies or Boone and Crockett bucks?

25-Dec-17
I think they both fib equally . For hunter's fifteen deer in a field later becomes twenty to thirty . For a fisherman a stringer of six inch. Bluegill's becomes a stringer of eight to ten inchers when the stories told . So who to know .

26-Dec-17
I don't think I ever lied MORE than when I worked at a baitshop! I'm going with FISHERMAN; they lie about everything from location, depth, color, time of day, bait used, etc. Not sure how you stay in business upnorth...if you ain't lying they ain't buying! LMAO!!! You might think you only need a six pack and a couple dozen waxies, but by the time I get done with ya you'll be leaving with two new rods, a new auger, $200 in Rapalas, and six dozen golden shiners:) Good luck and hurry before they quit biting!

26-Dec-17
Been doing it for 23 years . I don't deal much with the fishermen my wife runs that store I have the hunters . I got big time into Musky fishing with a fly rod so I get those guys because I make most of there fly's some over 12 inch's long . I rather tell them ( hunters and fishermen ) I don't know on something rather then lie to them . Plus usually the guys that know how to catch fish or hunt don't ask . This year after turning 65 we decide to sell it all figure it will take probably 3 years .

26-Dec-17
Would you say this is truth or fiction? I was musky fishing with dad on Big Lake near Boulder Junction probably 25 years ago. Dad was a guide on that lake at Tourkelsons resort back in the late '20s so he knew the spots but his gps was a little out dated by then because his coordinates were based on the alignment of trees, rock bars, islands, and stuff like that. Anyway, he knew the lake well.

So, we were casting the edge of a weed bed and I get a follow. I was stuttering when I told dad what was under the boat. I was doing figure 8's and looked from side to side of the boat. The boat is an alumacraft jon boat model 1562 which means it is 62" wide. I could see his tail and head sticking significantly out past both sides of the boat at the same time.

So, could that musky been as big as I say it was? I will respond to guesses in a few days.

26-Dec-17
Funny you bring this up Jeff. Ive heard pretty much that exact same story told about a muskie on the EXACT same lake. I dont remember the make and size of the boat but the muskies tail was on one side of the boat and the head on the other side of the boat. The story i read supposedly took place quite a few years before yours. My guess is you had more than one fish following at the same time. :>)

26-Dec-17
Damn retro, you had to go and throw in a possible explanation. I don't think that was the case but maybe. Maybe the story you heard was my story. Wouldn't that be cool. Was that person staying at Turkelson's resort? I bought that boat a while after I was married, wish I could remember the year the boat was made but had to be after '87.

Another story dad told me was back when he was a guide on that lake. There was a huge musky (probably the same one I saw, or not) that nobody could get a hook into. One day there were no customers to guide and it was super calm and sunny. They caught a squirrel and tied a treble hook to it and set the squirrel on a board and backed the boat off a ways for an hour or two. Then pulled the squirrel off the board and the water boiled when the musky grabbed the squirrel, peeled line off the reel still half full of line and tore it off the spool. When they told the resort owner what they did they caught hell for it.

26-Dec-17
The more I think about the timing the more I remember. Dad was up at our place in Hayward helping me with some work on the new cabin when we made just a day trip to Big Lake. That would put the sighting in 90 or later.

Even if it was 2 different fish I did get a good look at one of them when it followed up to the boat and it was huge.

26-Dec-17
Lol

27-Dec-17
Jeff, The story i heard took place back around the early 80's. Definitely before '90 by quite a bit. Maybe it was the same fish? Theres no shortage of giant muskie stories up there. Quite a few of the stories have a couple things in common. Fishing guides and taverns....... :>)

27-Dec-17

upnorth's embedded Photo
upnorth's embedded Photo
This one isn't a fish story . Plus its my first one on a fly rod

27-Dec-17
^^^ Photoshop! ;-)

27-Dec-17
I think "fishermen" are the biggest liars but have heard a lot of BS hunting stories over the years. I really became educated to BS 40 years ago when I "obtained" a brother-in-law. He is one that drinks and always outdoes everyone at stories at family gatherings. Thing is, I always knew the "real" story. I took him fishing once on Pelican Lake, south of Rhinelander to try a walleye spot I had found. I caught one nice walleye before an approaching storm forced us off the water. That one walleye has turned into a limit stringer of 5lb plus fish over the years and to hear him tell it, I really think he believes it! lol. I believe about 50% of what I see and 10% of what I hear these days.

27-Dec-17
I belong to a bass fishing club and it's simply amazing how many 5lb bass shook the hook at the edge of the boat...

27-Dec-17
When the story starts with 'Honest to god....' you know it is time to open up a beer and sit down.

27-Dec-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
I used to fish quite a few Walleye tournaments. I never troll! I only jig fish shorelines or a few special spots on rocky humps that I created. Those spots I never gave away. Perch, crappie and bass spots I'm pretty free with the info.

27-Dec-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Oh, and don't even think about asking me which rock is the best one for a 14" Brookie.

31-Dec-17
Fishermen lie more. It's dumb logic though because even if you know what a guy did and exactly where he fished it won't always be the same or work as well. Fish move. I've limited out on Delevan the last four trips and all four times I had to do something a little different to get it to all come together.

31-Dec-17
Trapper, pretty pics!

31-Dec-17
Trapper, are those piles hauled with multiple trips using a pickup truck?

31-Dec-17
No Jeff. I took them out with a 1 ton dump. 3-4 ton per load. Usually 80-100 ton per reef. The one directly in front of my house has 160 ton but I did that one over the course of 2 years.

31-Dec-17
As a Musky fisherman, I never give any lake details. I'll give details in regards to if the fish are hitting bucktails, cranks, surface baits, etc, but never any lake information.

When I fished Lake Michigan regularly, I used to post detailed reports on GLA and GLSF-WI. 100fow runs 300 miles long, so I shared in trying to help others. I used to share the info on the water too - with my friends from the Ozaukee club.

I never give up ice fishing information except to my friends.

Since I hunt private land for the most part, there is not much for me to say.

31-Dec-17
All I know, is the fish are biting on lake Noneya!

• Sitka Gear