casekiska 08-Nov-19
Pete-pec 08-Nov-19
Winddrift 12-Nov-19
casekiska 12-Nov-19
casekiska 12-Nov-19
Winddrift 12-Nov-19
Heitz 13-Nov-19
25-Dec-17
I wanted to give thanks to fellow bowsiter "casekiska", for sending me a book, "The History of Wisconsin Bowhunting",,,, it was a thoughtful gift, for me to read, during my recovery,,,,,, I have read it twice already, so if you want a good read, get this book.....

I am a book collector, and read all the time,,,, this book goes with my other favorite editions in my collection....... its a classic........

25-Dec-17
ground hunter - Of course, thank-you, and, PM sent your way.

25-Dec-17
Casekiska is a class act .

26-Dec-17
Swampy

X 100,000,000,000,000

26-Dec-17
Very cool for the gift and also cool that it went to a person that totally appreciates it.

26-Dec-17
I second that about Casekiska. Also, that is a great book and I recommend it to anyone interested in ur bowhunting.

27-Dec-17
Yes Case, you did a great job with the book. It brings you from having to make your own equipment to nowadays with equipment overload. Being one that reverted to the old way's, it was interesting to read about the ones who had to make there own equipment to shoot and hunt.

06-Nov-19
Casekiska, Would you have a list of successful Wisconsin WBA bowhunters in 1943 and 1944? Trying to link a bow marked X 1943 and X 1944 that also says "Roy's bow hunter Hilton". It might be wishful thinking that the X is for a deer kill and who the Roy might be. I did notice 2 Roy's active in WBA during this time period in your book. Thanks, Winddrift

06-Nov-19
Very nice!!

06-Nov-19
Of course, to all, thank-you for the kind comments. This sort of reaction makes the hours of research and writing all seem worth it. Your appreciation is everything.

Winddrift, I do not have a list of successful 1943/1944 bowhunters who were members of the WBH. Further, I am unsure if one exists.

During this time period ('43 & '44) I know of only two two prominent WI bowhunters with the first name of "Roy": Roy Case who founded the WBH and took the first B & A deer, and Roy Luhmen who was the first President of the WBH.

Can you provide a photo of the bow? Perhaps the style of the bow in question could allow it to be linked to Roy Case. Close up photos of any writing on bow, handle, bow tips, and then an overall photo showing the entire bow would all prove helpful. A note of caution: please do not try to string this bow.....assuming it does date from the 1940s it could very well explode and splinter into a thousand pieces! Bows this old don't like being strung or shot, they make better wall hangers than performers.

06-Nov-19
I have the book and it's an awesome book, one you don't want to put down. Casekiska has a way with words.

07-Nov-19
Casekiska, Will get pictures posted it will be a bit as the bow has not make it to me yet and I am heading up (Weyauwega area) with the longbow to bowhunt today. What I do know is there are two bows one marked as described. They are both takedowns and by the pictures I have both appear to be Osage, one with a Dutch plug and both with a cord wrap section on the lower limb. I will try with the WI DNR to see if they possibly have the registration records for those two years. I was interested in these for the history and since I build bows I want to understand how the takedown was fashioned. Thinking I can build a working replica of the bow. Osage is really strong but don't want to damage history. Although I have a yew Gilman Keasey bow that with a slow work in shoots fine although I know it is risky. With Lemon wood (degame) it's not if it will come apart it is when. Will get pictures posted sometime next week.

07-Nov-19
I agree, great person...great book. I got one a couple years back for my grandson. Case signed it for him. Nice jesture. When my grandson finished reading it he asked if he could bring it up to my house and leave it here for others to enjoy that come up to hunt. The book sits on the coffee table in the family room and, 9 times out of 10 someone picks it up and starts to read it. All positive comments on the book.

07-Nov-19
WD - try Kevin Wallenfang at the WI DNR. In doing my research he was very helpful. He and I worked together on an Aldo Leopold display for the WI Bowhunting Museum and he does have an interest in bowhunting history. However, I do not believe the DNR (formerly the WI Conservation Department) has a list of the names of successful '43 & '44 bowhunters. If they do I will be surprised! There is one other route we might take to get this info, I'll try at the WBH office and see if they have any records listing the names. Hope so, uncertain and unlikely however.

If the bow in question is a takedown I do not believe it was made by Roy Case. He never mentioned to me that he ever made a takedown, his son (Kaleb) never mentioned it and his grandchildren who now have the remaining Case bows do not have a takedown model. It's a long shot for a takedown to be a Roy Case bow. We can continue to pursue this, it will be interesting. Historical research on bowhunting = always fascinating!

08-Nov-19
WD - According to WBH records in 1944 WBH member Roy B. Hilton killed a deer with his bow and was eligible to receive an award from the association. He did not attend the early 1945 WBH convention to receive his award in person. It was mailed to him later. Therefore, I believe the maker of the bow you have is this person, everything (although admittedly scant evidence) seems to line up and point to this. At this point I do not believe the bow (s) you have were made by either Roy Case or Roy Luhmen. Hope this all helps.

08-Nov-19
I have the book as well, I've read it while hunting, and probably missed a few deer walking past because of it. Mine is autographed from a book signing event lol. I'm a fibber, but it is signed.

12-Nov-19
Casekiska, Thanks so much yes this seems like a match. You wouldn't have the address it was mailed to would you? The bows arrived so I will get pictures posted soon.

12-Nov-19
WD - I have discovered some additional info, will send in a PM.

12-Nov-19
WD - I have discovered some additional info, will send in a PM.

12-Nov-19

Winddrift's embedded Photo
The two bows
The two bows
Casekiska, Attached are a couple of pictures.

13-Nov-19
My wife bought me the book for fathers day last year. It was an awesome read. It has been passed around Ojibwa bowhunters for the past year. Great reviews from everyone who has read it. Some familiar names in that book from our club.

• Sitka Gear