RutnStrut 26-Dec-17
ground hunter 26-Dec-17
retro 26-Dec-17
Novice 26-Dec-17
ground hunter 26-Dec-17
Franklin 26-Dec-17
CaptMike 26-Dec-17
26-Dec-17
I hope this isn’t a repeat... but I’m looking to buy some new camo hunting clothing. I have some very light clothing but I don’t have any medium to heavy gear to get me through October and November. (In the past I just layered up under the light stuff.) I have a gift card for Cabelas. So what do you all recommend or what do you like?

26-Dec-17
I will be watching this as well. I too have used the layer method, which works, but gets to be bulky.

26-Dec-17
I buy wool from Goodwill.

Save your Cabela's card for hunting equipment.

26-Dec-17
I really like my heated vest/jacket. Doesn't add a bunch of bulk, and you can turn it off when you're moving around and don't want to get sweated up.

Mine's a Milwaukee brand, because I already had compatible batteries. I'm sure there are other comparable brands.

26-Dec-17
I don't think you need any heavy gear for October and November,,,, I like bibs for really cold days..... I would save the card, for equipment, I wear plaids and wools and whatever I can find,,,, deer do not care,,,,, make sure its quiet, and warm,,,,,

26-Dec-17
Yeah the light gear I have now is a one piece and is just becoming more inconvenient to layer a lot on. I was thinking some type of medium gear for October November.

26-Dec-17
Hh76 how's the weight of that jacket?

26-Dec-17
The jacket that came with mine is probably middle weight, and the vest (the heated part of the combo) is also lighter? If you want, you can put the vest under any other coat.

Not that we can really compare between one another, we all have different tolerances, but the jacket and vest, without heat are good down to about 40deg for me. 20-30, I need the heat on. Colder and I consider my body suit.

I do find myself turning the heat on when it's not totally necessary, jut because I can.

26-Dec-17
Stay away from the Extreme Parka. Has great reviews but I doubt these guys have worn it much before posting their review. The motion of your arms rubbing against your sides, and brush rubbing on it, will wear away very quickly the insulating fleece layer to the point the sides become thin and lose the insulating value. Go with all wool and a wind barrier...more expensive but will last much longer. Personally, other than Cabelas Guidewear for fishing, smartwool socks and longjons, I've found very little of their hunting clothing that cuts the mustard. I agree with Tweed's advice...buy your clothing elsewhere and save your cards for gear.

26-Dec-17
I know my daughter was going to buy me some Sitka gear,,,,, I told my wife, do not have here buy that over price stuff,,,,,,,, I am glad she did not, her heart was in a good place, but it is over rated, in my opinion for what I need.......

26-Dec-17
GH. I used to think Sitka was over priced and over rated as well. It's not. It is well made, very well thought out gear. as for those that say their clothing is good down to such a temp. Consider that if you do all day sits during the late pre rut into the rut. You need a decent layering system. When you go in a hour or more before light and sit until after dark. You need warmer clothing than you think. Pre dawn cold sets into your body. It can take almost all day to shake it if you aren't dressed properly.

26-Dec-17
Rut I agree, but I do not hunt like that now,,,,, I do not go in, till first lite, I am on the ground a lot, and I am on the move,,,, I may hunt several set ups in one day,,,, I just did not want her to spend that kind of money,,,,,,,

I do hunt late season though, and already have a system for that, ........If I was younger, I would probably take a closer look at it

26-Dec-17
Are Bunny Boots any warmer than todays pac boots?

26-Dec-17
I'm a huge fan of Gray wolf woolens. Custom made for whatever you want. I have early, mid, and late season stuff from them. Some of it is going on 16 yrs old. If you should happen to rip or tear it, they will also repair it.

26-Dec-17
On the topic of boots, it is an individual thing, but I like them, for me they insulate better, and shed all water,,,, however you do not want to walk long ways, at least I do not,,,,,,,

So I have both, when I cut country, I am wearing pac boots,,,, because at anytime something could happen, I have a day pack, and inside and extra set of liners, Just in case they would be needed...............

for a short walk, and half hour or under, I will wear the bunny boot

26-Dec-17
I got a gift for Christmas and they had a flyer in there with some HUGE deals...one is the Men`s 10-point series clothes...50% off....Berber Fleece 50% off and MT050 Whitetail Extreme 40% off.....look through Cabelas Bargain Cave....great clothing deals.

26-Dec-17
I too like the Milwaukee Electric heated jacket. It is light enough that I can use it stand alone on a day in the mid 20's and up and when really cold I can wear it under another jacket. I just finished a wolf hunt in Ontario where the daytime temps were from -6 to -14 and I only used it occasionally. What I like even better than the heated jacket feature is the independently controlled heated pockets. They really helped while sitting for hours on stand and having to have my rifle at ready.

• Sitka Gear