Yellowjacket 06-Jan-18
goelk 06-Jan-18
Tim M 06-Jan-18
Paul@thefort 06-Jan-18
CCOVEY 09-Jan-18
DGW 04-Feb-18
Kurt 05-Feb-18
26-Dec-17
Just wondering who's got their Big 9, I can't find anything on the CBA web page. How about all 10 species?

26-Dec-17
I was the 56th bow hunter to kill the Big Eight and that was in 2001. There are now close to 100 that have done so. I believe there may be 20-25 or so that have killed the Big Nine, and only 3 or maybe 4 that have killed all ten.

26-Dec-17
Wayne Deppershmidt and Wayne Thurston to date are I believe the only 2 persons to complete a Big 10. Contact the Records Chairman in the CBA Newsletter and you can get the current number of 9's and 8's.

26-Dec-17
Paul, I was 29th on the CO9- back in 2011

26-Dec-17
For Archery Lee Veldhouse was the first to take all 10 and Wayne Deppershmidt was the second. I was the 32 & 104 to take 8 and 35 to take 9.

26-Dec-17
Not sure if he's had em CBA scored but a couple years ago Chris Nowak killed his desert, moose and goat in same season. That might put him in the 10 club.

26-Dec-17
I just want his luck in the draw!

26-Dec-17
Got my 9 in 2010 need a desert

26-Dec-17
Working on round two for 9 need a bear and moose only way I will shoot a bear if it's head is as big as a pumpkin don't really need a another bear got 4 now

26-Dec-17
I helped Wayne pack out his #10. Thats about as close I will probably ever get.

26-Dec-17
I really never thought about doing all 8 or 9, but after my bull moose in 1992, I counted and was so close I just needed a WT, , so I drew a tag in unit 92 and got lucky. I just love to hunt and before I knew it I was close to the 8 and 9 again. In 2010 I drew my second Mt. goat tag and shot a nice billy and a bear that year, so all I needed again was a WT. Between weather, ex-wife, ect. it took me 7 years to score on a WT last weekend. I finished my second Big 8 and Big 9 on Dec. 23, 2017. There are still some good people out there that are not all about money, I met a guy in south eastern Colo. who allowed me to hunt a WT for 2 years on his ranch , about 4000 acres and 5 miles of river bottom, with out asking for a dime, or anything in return. I just want to say Thank You again with out giving up his name.

26-Dec-17
I just got 9 this year with my desert. I was curious about age in which completed. I got 8 when 8 was 29 and now 39 for 9

26-Dec-17
As of the 2015 banquet (held in April 2016), there were 101 registered "Big 8", 37 "Big 9", and just 2 "Big 10". (I didn't get the list from last year.)

Without digging a bit, it's hard to determine the number of bowhunters who completed ahead of you since we only record the number of times it's been done on the award plaques, and some have done it 2 or even 3 times. So the number on the award and in the listings are the number of times it has been completed, at least after #7 when Jake Powell was the first to complete a second Big 8 in1986. Some are also registered late and we don't go back and re-number them all to keep them in order. It's interesting that the two Big 10s finished the "easy way"...with a moose instead of a desert sheep.

I got Big 8 number 56 in 2002 and Big 9 number 26 in 2012. Still looking for that desert tag!

27-Dec-17
some people are just lucky!!! I wanted to be in the top 50 before I was 50, got my mtn goat some where around 53, I'm 61 and have 30 years in applying for a rocky mtn big horn,,, I did draw a Utah Rocky 4 years ago, shot a ram in one day after scouting all summer,,, Archery on a rifle tag. God's not giving me a tag, just making me go to the gym every morning, till I'm old enough for a tag in Colo!! LOL, congratulations to everybody that has got it done!!! Bownutco

27-Dec-17
After perusing this post and referencing the "lists", a few of you must be getting old enough to have some memory problems. lol And some must be using an alias on Bowsite as their registered name doesn't appear in the records.

Nesser also brings up a good point. Some never get entered.

27-Dec-17
Going into 2017 there are 106 official Big 8 Award recipients in Colorado. Of those, 12 have completed the Big 8 twice, and 3 have completed the Big 8 three times. There have been a couple of nonresident archers and 2 women who have completed this achievement. Going into 2017 there are 39 official Big 9 Awards in Colorado. Of those, 3 have completed the Big 9 twice. As Ziek mentioned, there are 2 archery hunters who have killed all 10 species and have entered them into the CBA for the Big 10 awards program. Note: This is what has been entered into the CBA Records program for members in good standing with the organization at the time the award was presented. As noted above there are some discrepancies in what has been said in this thread and what is in the current CBA records file. All questions may be directed to me at: [email protected]

27-Dec-17
As a non-resident, I need a Mountain Lion for completion of the Big-9. I'm guessing that's not the typical species to finish with ;-)

27-Dec-17
Ever been in Wayne and Judy's house? Unbelievable!! He told me last year there were 111 mounts in the main room. 2 full mount musk ox among everything else. Doesn't everybody? And this year Judy shot a Bighorn in Colorado, so be 112! They process my elk and do a great job. Very nice people.

27-Dec-17
The day after thanksgiving , I went to a house to measure the last 8 animals to make-up the super slam. It was truly amazing for me to see all 29 in on room.

27-Dec-17
The Wayne thurston needs 2 sheep and a moose I think

27-Dec-17
I am very proud to be from Colorado. I think most of the bowhunters are the best in the country. I have hunted with some of them. Some of them are my friends. Some are just a hand shake friend.. I am one animal away from my 3rd big 8 , and one animal away from my second big 9. Never paid a dime to hunt or an outfitted hunt. I am going till I die! I just want to be know as a bowhunter! Dennis Howell

27-Dec-17
Sticksender,

Man Lion is the easy one. All it takes is a check book and you have your treed lion. :)

Good luck on completing it.

28-Dec-17
Mtn not Man

28-Dec-17

muskwa's Link
(I don't usually post here, but I am a daily "watcher". This topic does strike a passion though so here is my two cents for what it is worth.)

Whipranger- I followed your story about your desert. My hat is off to you sir. I have used my hand made recurve and wooden arrows for every hunt, even the big hunts that friends and colleagues chastised me for. I was the 94th to take the Big 8 in 2012 with my goat and the 31st to take the Big 9 in 2014 with my moose. I was 34 years old when I took my Big 9 and to my knowledge, after extensive research, I was the youngest to do so. I love hunting in Colorado, and I am one of the "jerks" who seems to get lucky with tags. I have had two sheep tags and had success with multiple bears while carrying a tag on elk hunts. I am two away from my second Big 8. The link attached is an article in the Denver post about the Big 8 in 2012.

I appreciate the old timers who stuck with it. I appreciate the young guys who set it as a goal. Most of us, including me never set out to do it until we took a tally and saw we had 5 or 6 and it became "obtainable". I have talked with a lot of the guys on here that have done it and it is so interesting to hear what hunts were the hardest, toughest, longest or easiest; and so on. Everyone's story/ path was different. Paul Navarre, Ron Rockwell, John Gardner, Marv Clyncke, Ron Breitspecher, and so many more I consider friends as well as excellent resources and a wealth of knowledge. They have so much to offer in a 5 minute conversation... than any hunting show, hunting blog or website can give you in 5 weeks of binge watching.

Colorado is a special place guys. We need to treat it that way and enjoy what we have. The bowhunters in Colorado are some of the best in the nation and most of us never use outfitters. There is also a select group of guys... better and wiser than most of us ... that will never be on any website and share very little with very few. I appreciate those guys too. This passion we all share consumes us. The Big 8/9/10 is a journey, but not a destination. I enjoy hunting rabbits with my kids just as much as stalking goats on the divide. The only difference to me is the preparation.

I'll be at the banquet this year again, with a booth set up and my 12 year old son is receiving his first timer award for an antelope doe he shot with a 1956 bear recurve out of a ground blind over a water hole. With all of the success I've had over the years, watching his little wood arrow bury to the fletching behind her shoulder was the single greatest day of my hunting career! I think that is important too, and moments like that put things into perspective and reminds us of some of the things we may have taken for granted during our pursuit of our own goals.

Anyways, that's my soap box I guess. Happy hunting to you all and I hope 2018 is filled with the wind in your face, beautiful sunrises and happy ends to short blood trails!

Joe Bradley

28-Dec-17
sticksender, If you need a cougar to complete a 'Big 9" you need it to also complete a 'Big 8'. The 'Big 8' is not 8 of the 10 CO species. It's the 8 original species. And of course, to have a Big 8 or 9, you have to register it. There have been 3 bowhunters who completed 8 & 9 with a whitetail. You would think that would be unusual.

28-Dec-17
The articles are always informative, the best Colorado Eight article I have ever read was in TBJ by Marv about Connie's achievement. Of course, if it has anything to do with Marv, it is always a class act.

28-Dec-17
One other note. You don't get another Big 9 when you complete a Big 10. A second Big 9 has to be two each of the same species for a Big 9, and that's only possible with moose not desert bighorn.

28-Dec-17
I had previously posted this on the CBA Banquet - March 2018 thread.

(excerpt) The CBA Big 8 was created to recognize Colorado bow hunters who have taken the following Colorado big game animals (either sex) with bow and arrow. If multiple animals of the same species have been taken, simply list the first one. (There is no specific order the animals must be taken and fair chase is implied)

Colorado Big 8: Rocky Mountain Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Pronghorn, Mountain Goat, Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep, Black Bear, and Mountain Lion

* Entries may include either male or female animals of the species. * Animals do not need to not need to be scored or meet any minimum score requirement. * All animals must be taken in compliance with the regulations and laws of the State of Colorado.

At that time, (When this award for this special achievement was created) if a hunter drew the tag and killed a Colorado Desert Big Horn Sheep that would qualify for the Co Big 9 Award providing the hunter already had the original 8 animals.

Shiras Moose was not added to the Colorado Big 9 until the early 1980's.

Of course, if you kill both a moose and a desert sheep along with the original 8 species the hunter would qualify for the Colorado Big 10 achievement award.

28-Dec-17
I think the coolest thing is that Wayne Deppershmidt completed his with a stick bow. Definitely, a guy who's on my hero list!

28-Dec-17
Muskwa. Congrats on being youngest to get 9. But I have you on the big 8 completing it when I was 29. So I guess we'll play the dows game to see which of us gets to be youngest at 10. Good luck

28-Dec-17
Such awesome accomplishments. Still waiting to draw sheep and goat. And then I’ll have my 8. Just can’t get lucky and get a sheep at goat tag. Maybe someday

29-Dec-17
Trust me Justin, either you will draw both tags at the same time, or on a year you really would rather not draw anything. Don't miss a cycle- you never know when your number is going to be lucky.

30-Dec-17
Whipranger and Muskwa,

Alex Nicely completed the Co Big 8 at 24 years old in 2016 (#103). So if the guy handing out tags smiles on Alex and he draws either moose or desert sheep in the next few years, that will be a hard mark to beat.

30-Dec-17
The tag Gods already smiled on him, I applied for goat longer than he's been able to hunt. The biggest challenge of getting 8,9, or 10 is getting the tags. Still congrats to him.

30-Dec-17
24 years old, that is awesome! I hope he does it! Anyone who completes the 8,9 or 10 deserves respect. It takes a lot of versatility and each species presents different challenges. Whether you're young, old, the first one or #200... Drawing the tags is only part of it. It is still bowhunting and we all know that some come easy and some come hard. I wonder how many guys have drawn all the tags but one or two went unpunched? Interesting thought. I am sure there are a whole bunch of guys sitting on 6 or 7 and they will never hunt a lion out of preference or try and draw a goat tag for other personal reasons. To each their own. I know a lot of great hunters that just need a "successful" to hit their mail box. We have some great hunters here. 24 years old is really impressive though.

30-Dec-17
Muskawa, totally agree with your comments.

It isn’t just drawing tags by a long shot. My dad has 7 of the 8 with 4 Bighorn Ram hunt attempts , he is only short the bighorn.

31-Dec-17
First, congrats to Whipranger and others on their 8, 9, or even 10 awards! Great accomplishments.

I never drew a Shiras moose tag in CO in 25 attempts, but got lucky in WY after a dozen years of applying. Same with CO Desert Bighorn, no tag in about 10 or 15 trys, but drew NV the first year I applied there! Super lucky!

As per the Big 8, I was fortunate to be the 6th bowhunter as well as the 66th bowhunter to accomplish it (5th to take 8 twice). 6s must be lucky, as I also am getting an award for the 66th archery Grand Slam in a few weeks. Got to thinking that maybe in a year when I turn 66 that there will be a few lucky hunts? Aw heck I have no complaints about any years so far!

Good luck to all in achieving their dreams and goals......2018 and beyond!!!!

31-Dec-17
Kurt. Congrats on the Grand Slam. That's awesome.

31-Dec-17
Need a sheep and a bear for 8.

Hopefully, I will get a bear this year. Have probably had 25 or more bear tags in Colorado and have never had an opportunity to shoot at one in this state.

Have had 3 sheep tags in Colorado and haven't punched one of those yet. Have missed a few...

It is tough to get all the tags and also tough to be successful with a bow. Especially so if you limit yourself to hunting with a longbow...

31-Dec-17
Thanks Zieke! Never set out to do it but got lucky on tags in NV and CO plus moving up to BC and hunting Stones over the counter made it possible. Dall in the NWT was awesome if you want to spend the money.

31-Dec-17

02-Jan-18
I just need a bear to complete my 8. I've been applying for moose since 1988 without drawing a tag and for desert bighorn since getting my Rocky in 2011. At 60 years old now I'm hoping 8, maybe 9, heck maybe even 10 might still be possible.

02-Jan-18
Tavis get a unit 14 bear tag and I'll help... There's a couple drainages where I otc elk hunt where you can't walk in the woods without seeing a bear. 2014 I had 6 bear encounters 6 days in a row. Finally had to shoot one.

03-Jan-18
Its a dream of mine. Moved to Colorado 7 years ago and have shot 4 species so far. Hoping to draw tags and complete the 9 before im 40 (11 more years). Still need a Bear, Sheep, Moose, WT, and Lion.

06-Jan-18
Ccovey, If you have the money and planning on doing the lion with an outfitter eventually you may want to consider that hunt sooner rather than later. You never know if the dam* anti's will get lion hunting outlawed in the future. Something to think about. Good luck.

06-Jan-18
What are the animals for 8,9,10 big

06-Jan-18
The 8 are: elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, pronghorn, rock mountain bighorn, bear, mountain lion and mountain goat. The 9 and 10 are desert bighorn sheep and shiras moose.

06-Jan-18
CC, what sheep do you need? Rocky Mt, or Desert sheep. The odds of drawing a moose tag is 1%. and the Desert Sheep odds are similar although you do not need PP to draw.

09-Jan-18
Paul@thefort, Rocky Mountain is what i have been putting in for (currently have 6 points). Yellowjacket, i actually just got setup for a cat hunt in December/January of 18/19 through a buddy of mine. Hopefully the draw gods will be in my favor over the next few years!

04-Feb-18
Kurt, congrats on your Grand Slam. I was # 50 for 8 in 2002, and the second non resident to take eight. Was the 33rd to take 9 and again second to my brother Jim as a non resident to achieve the big 9. I feel blessed to have been able to hunt Colorado and become friends with some of Colorado's best bowhunters.. I need a whitetail and cougar to finish my second Colorado 8. Might do it some day. Dan

05-Feb-18
Dan, Thanks! And congrats to you, heck of an accomplishment to get 9 species as a NR especially as a longbow/recurve hunter. To Jim as well! Kurt

• Sitka Gear