Mike F 26-Dec-17
ground hunter 26-Dec-17
Jeff in MN 26-Dec-17
skookumjt 26-Dec-17
Jeff in MN 26-Dec-17
Mike F 26-Dec-17
Chief2 26-Dec-17
26-Dec-17
Those of us that were successful in harvesting some game meat might want to consider a donation of some of it to a charitable food pantry organization. The big places like Channel 1, etc might not accept it but smaller places like church sponsored food shelves probably do.

I was lucky enough to harvest a buck and a doe and 2 bears this year so I just brought our local church food shelf 130# of deer and bear meat from the previous two years. Some was burger, some trim needing to be ground, and a lot of it was boneless roasts and steaks. I also brought them lots of apples and pears earlier in the year. These smaller food shelves really appreciate it. They say that their 'customers' just love the bear meat.

I don't usually bring them this much at one time but it looks like the value of this kind of donation might not be tax deductable next year.

26-Dec-17
When I get the chance I take a "care package" to those who are to humble to stop at the local food pantry. Those include Veteran's and their families who at times get overlooked.

A great idea

26-Dec-17
I agree with this,,,,, I am a proud father, as I have a daughter who at 29 raises money for families that for many reasons can not have a traditional Christmas, and surprises families on Christmas Eve......

When I get back into the woods, and when I get a nice doe, my friends and I will butcher and wrap,,, she knows families that would be happy to have the meat.....

No better feeling in the world, as to giving to someone, who really needs it, no matter what it is.......

26-Dec-17
Mike, I will keep your approach in mind in the future. I don't know anyone in that category but I bet one of my neighbors who knows everyone in the area would have some suggestions.

Ground hunter, sounds like you have a good reason to be proud of your daughter. I bet she makes you proud for other reasons too.

26-Dec-17
There was a lengthy thread on here some time ago. There was a very lively discussion about what was deductable. If I remember correctly the OP was convinced he could deduct every expense involved in a hunt, which was pretty obviously false. I don't remember what people decided could be deducted.

I am sure that is not at all your motivation for donating but it would be good to know if anyone knows.

My guess would be only the cost of processing or reasonable allowance if you do it yourself.

26-Dec-17
22 cents on the dollar is about all that the tax deduction will yield so there is not much incentive there in doing donations for the tax benefit. There is probably more value/reward in doing the donation the way Mike does his.

Aw come on now, can't I deduct the fuel, vehicle maintenance, depreciation, license cost, equipment depreciation, shrink wrap cost, etc,etc. ;-(

26-Dec-17
Jeff - I meet the nicest retired Vet's at church when the kids talk about hunting. They sit and can talk with the kids for hours. It's a lot of fun for everyone.

26-Dec-17
Just a plug to anyone that runs into a veteran, I retired after 20 years last year and I'm now going to school to be a social worker at the VA, if you know a vet that needs help I might be able to point them at a lot of good programs they might not know about or know they qualify for pm me if you know anyone I'm always looking for ways to help fellow vets

• Sitka Gear