buckmaster69 31-Mar-18
albino 31-Mar-18
ground hunter 31-Mar-18
ground hunter 31-Mar-18
albino 31-Mar-18
Duke 04-Apr-18
skookumjt 04-Apr-18
27-Dec-17
As far as I know the seasons shown on the DNR website are the actual seasons we'll get right? Second year in a row my kids and I ended up with different seasons. It works out good for me though, I can focus on helping them during their seasons and then go by myself during mine.

27-Dec-17
I have a question Why did you not apply as a group???

28-Dec-17
Now I feel kind of dumb, I guess I didn't realize applying as a group was an option. I'm so used to going through and filling out the applications the same way I never noticed that option. Thanks for pointing that out - I'll be doing that next year.

28-Dec-17
I don't see where awarded permits are listed yet. I looked at my GoWild account...just the application.

28-Dec-17
It's listed under current licenses on your go wild homepage

28-Dec-17
Yup. I see mine. Week one zone 2.

29-Dec-17
I may have done a dumb thing,,,,, I always put in for Zone 2,,,, after the property was acquired in Vernon county, my partner and I, wanted to hunt 3rd week for sure in Zone 1, so I called and got it changed and we are on a land owner preference as a group,,,,

However I forgot how many extra tags there are down there,,,, maybe that was not smart, maybe they never fill 3rd week........

29-Dec-17
ground hunter ..... just to let u know u all have to be landowners in that zone to to be land owner preference. Found mine.... zone 3 week 1.

29-Dec-17
well I am into the go wild system, I have no idea how to find out,,,,, get everything but the draws????? what am I suppose to type in?

29-Dec-17
Go to current licenses. Should be the top license listed.

29-Dec-17
I got it,,,, I drew third period in Zone 1 as I requested,,,, somehow I lost a bear point, they said,,,,, have no idea how that happened,,,, but I will never buy a CP license again, without getting a print out,,,, bought my last one at Fleet Farm, mistake.......

when I found out how many left overs are in Zone 1, man I am stupid,,,,, try to get one in 2 is really hard, if not first applied for.......

dnr guy at call center said it was a no brainer in 1

29-Dec-17
I don't know buckmaster, I am not a land owner on the property I am hunting, just applied as a group submitted by the land owner,,,,, I drew

30-Dec-17
I don't know for sure. I could be wrong.

30-Dec-17
Week 1 zone 3.

30-Dec-17
Zone 4 week 2. Which is really week 3 now since they had to screw with things and move the seasons.

16-Jan-18
My hunting partner received his post card from the DNR for this spring turkey hunt in week one. Its the first card that I know of that anyone has received.

16-Jan-18
Season B zone 5

16-Jan-18
Season B zone 2 here

16-Jan-18
Zone 4 time period A

17-Jan-18
"I have a question Why did you not apply as a group???"

Unfortunately buckmaster that doesn't always work out. Before this year you could only apply as a group of 4 hunters. We had 4 hunters apply and 2 got our first choice and 2 got the second choice. We all applied at the same time and made sure all the info was exact. Sure sucked, because our turkey camp is a lot like others deer camp. Ours wasn't the first time I saw that happen. It was nice to see this year your group can be up to 10 hunters.

17-Jan-18
1st season zone 3. Now that I moved I probably should have applied for zone 2 as I had a preference point. I know I can get 3rd season in zone 3 on the left overs but I have not been in 2 long enough to know how many are left over. Is the left over list up yet?

17-Jan-18
More than 15,000 left over tags in zone 2 for the last two weeks of the season. good luck. those go on sale March 20, 2018 at 10am.

17-Jan-18
Thanks, I have great luck in the last 2 seasons. Plus picking off ticks and swatting mosquitos really help pass the time.

17-Jan-18
Hmmmmm.... Applied Zone 2, Period A or B, ended up with NO tag and a spring preference point. Zone 2 Period E and F surplus tags go on sale March 20.

20-Mar-18
Not much interest in left over turkey tags for 2018. Zone 1 went on sale yesterday at 10am. Zone 2 today at 10am. Lots of tags still remain for zone 2 which sold out in previous years within one hour.

20-Mar-18
Is the interest losing out on the turkey tags for spring? I think most guys have no idea, when they are free to hunt in April, the December before, and there is little interest in hunting that late in May.....

I will be out all of the last two week, but I believe, I am an exception, since I can hunt turkeys out my door....................

They should have never screwed around with the season change, made no sense,,,, Heck I would get it going first week of April..................... I think the luster is gone a little

20-Mar-18
Part of it is they messed with a good thing by moving the start of the seasons back. Part of it is a lot of guys won't get excited until we get a solid warm up. Another part is there just aren't the turkeys there used to be. Way too many extra tags.

20-Mar-18
Zone 1 period a and c.

20-Mar-18
Guess I was wrong..... I did not have a new CP license yet, so I thought I would get one in the am,,,,, 1000 tags for zone 2 left at 2pm.... they are all gone now...... I sure wish the CP license would go from Jan 1 to Dec 31, so I would get its full use, I hate this March purchase times...........................

6000 left for memorial day time

20-Mar-18
All of the licenses expire the end of March and you have to buy a license for the year you will be hunting. You get a years use out of it the way it is.

20-Mar-18
not really,,,, how do you figure.... I pay 165.00 and do not get a full year out of it, because I have to spend that again, before the year is up, just to get a turkey tag..... so I did not get a year out of it, if your into turkey hunting..... I know its only a week and half or so, but its the principal........

If my license expires on March 31, and have to buy one before the 19th to buy a tag, does not get me a full year out of it...... your math must be different than mine

21-Mar-18
raspy old hen - "not much interest in left over turkey tags for 2018"? On Monday the remaining 3000 plus available tags for Zone 1 Period C sold out in in under 20 minutes. I guess that's "not much interest"????

21-Mar-18
that's true, and I have a tag for that week also, but there are 30,000 tags left over for the rest on the month,,,,,,,,, I think it was because that is about how late, guys want to hunt,,,,,,

21-Mar-18
GH - I spent $238.50 on my CP license, and other stuff on the DNR website last night. Not a bad investment, if you ask me. Remember when all the things were included in the CP License? They can take the crossbow license out of the CP and give us back something we can use!!!

We will chase turkeys until the last day of the last season if we have to!

21-Mar-18
There's no shortage of turkeys...why not just get rid of the draws and put turkeys on the good old small game license? We'll never put a dent in the population and it simplifies the whole deal.

Same with wolves, but I digress;)

21-Mar-18
over 85% approval rating by turkey hunters from WISCONSIN. Thats why.

21-Mar-18
South Farm doesn't Minesota have several time periods like Wisconsin????

21-Mar-18
ground hunter +1.

21-Mar-18
"South Farm doesn't Minesota have several time periods like Wisconsin????"

Yes, but again I ask...WHY?? They're more common than rabbits and right up there with squirrels, so why not just designate them as small game and let you shoot one on your small game license?

21-Mar-18
If u ever hunted some of the early seasons in Wisconsin you would know why. We had too many hunters out in the same area. You had hunters calling to hunters. Not all areas in Wisconsin have lots of turkeys. I will say it again why would anyone want to change a hunt that has over 85% approval rating.

21-Mar-18
I give up, tell me..

21-Mar-18
South Farm, I understand what you're saying. There's plenty of birds. It's a real success story by the WDNR. That growth of the turkey population has seemed to rise every year? I guess the reason most hunters like this outline more than an open season sort of hunt, is the love for what turkey hunters live for. The ability to hunt birds not pressured, to hear them gobble on the roost, to call them, to decoy them, to bring them in to shotgun or bow range, but most importantly, to do it without that potential interruption of another hunter. What do most people dislike about gun deer hunting? The orange army! The fact that gun hunting is less about hunting, and more about shooting. Why do we love bow hunting? Because it's peaceful, uninterrupted, Mono E Mono. Well, that's how turkey season is, under the current structure. Now let me tell it like this. The farm I hunt, the farmer allows just one hunter on his farm at one time. How much opportunity is there for other hunters, when his cousin (for example) hasn't shot his bird, but has first rights? This isn't exactly the case, but I'm that guy. I get first choice in this case, but that isn't how it is. I call him with my season, and my over the counter tag dates, and it allows 4 or 5 hunters, 7 days to hunt. If it was open season, I could be selfish, and lock it up, still waiting on my bird. So, your open season has far more hunter conflict, it's plain more dangerous (hunters in camouflage) hunting each other, less peaceful, spooked birds, less opportunities for hunters on private farms, and most importantly, it's the one thing the DNR has right according to the hunter polls. That's WHY we shouldn't change it.

21-Mar-18
"I give up, tell me.."

You are in the minority that wants it changed, so YOU tell us.

22-Mar-18
Pete-pec...RutnStrut......+1.

22-Mar-18
Extra tags bought today for zone 4, 4th season for me and a buddy. I also got my wife and daughter 5th season tags. I love the way WI does this and hope it never changes. Now if the DNR could just get as good with deer management.

22-Mar-18
Pete-pec...RutnStrut......+1,000000. Don't mess with a good thing. I still say Zone 1 is too big and had too many tags though. Everyone that I know gets Zone 1 Period A every year.

22-Mar-18
I agree, this has worked, so leave it alone,,,, but I also agree that fall season should be otc......................

I do wish the season dates went back to what they had though,,,,,,,,

22-Mar-18
"I do wish the season dates went back to what they had though,,,,,,,,"

Definitely agree on that.

22-Mar-18
Yes, The way the Turkey season was seemed perfect. I think the dnr tweaked the dates just because they can or maybe someone trying to justify their job. Seems strange that there was so many left over tags in 2 for just the last 2 seasons. I did pick up a third season zone 3 tag & a fifth season zone 2 tag. I'm not sure those are tags to the dnr I would guess they are ten dollar bills. I don't mind the applying early. I just applied for 2019. I can always change my choice on line.

23-Mar-18
I also really like the way Wisco does it, I enjoy that they give a full-week and not just the 5-day. I'm quite biased though because I work 4 10's with Mondays being my off day so I like that I get the option to hunt with a 7 day season when I wouldn't if it was 5-day.

23-Mar-18
I'm doing the Deer scout thing this morning & see about 25 Turkeys . Reminds me that the 8 year old grandson Twins want me to take them on a Turkey hunt . I find a soft stump , sit down & buy 2 tags for Area 5 in May . Young hunters like warm weather .

I get home & tell the wife I pissed away 35 or 40 bucks for a few Rubber Turkeys for the kids .

She said , " So what . You have been known to fish for 10 dollars worth of Walleyes in a $ 20,000 boat . HMmmm .

23-Mar-18
that's funny,,,, sooooo true.....

23-Mar-18
Yes, Butterballs are cheaper & taste better but they don't gobble.

28-Mar-18
Still 63,149 turkey tags left over. Here's a chance for the DNR to do something nice for turkey hunters. A two for one sale after April 1 each year. 10 dollars for 2 tags. IMHO it would keep the interest high in turkey hunting and give something back to hunters that made this sport so successful.

28-Mar-18
Nebraskas season opened last Monday,,,, they are sounding off at my house like crazy, it is hard to believe here we sit, with no season opened yet, I have no idea, who makes these dumb rules on season dates

28-Mar-18
Interest is plenty high in turkey hunting. The number of leftover tags is not indicative of this as there are way too many tags available.

29-Mar-18
MF (Mike Foss) and I are going to bow hunt turkey in SE Minnesota this year. Hopefully second season, since that is the season that worked out well for me in the past. If his foot is not ready we can go later, bow hunters can hunt in all of the seasons. I have 3, maybe 4 real good properties lined up. A couple of years ago he hunted with me and got his Tom. I went with him the first two days but I was not hunting. I sat in a second blind about 30 yards from him to make it sound like there were multiple birds talking. It worked, we got multiple birds by both of us but Mike didn't score until the third day when he was out by himself.

29-Mar-18
The WDNR has already "cone something nice" for hunters. They have worked hard to perpetrate the time frame seasons and maintain a huntable flock of turkeys!

With a tag at a mere 10 bucks, I lose that much in the washing machine each month in lose change. The extra funds are divereted into programs tht need funding and I will be the first one to tell you that you get a TON of entertainment for 10 bucks - best deal in town.

As far as too many tags? Nada - just right!

The only period that does not sell out is 6th period and the rate of sales on every other period is rather relaxed except period (C) which sells out in about an hour.

This allows hunters who may or may not have the time and availability, to purchase a tag at their leisure, which is nice.

Given the success rate for successful hunters in the State - tag sales are spot on!!

29-Mar-18
As too anyone that thinks the "framework" on the "hunt" should be OTC and how ever many you want and with a State wide start date - bite your tongue.

Our current system is the cat's ass.

Hunters are "spread out" over a nearly 2 month long period. It provides for less congestion, more land to hunt and better opportunities on the land(s) different guys hunt.

With assigned time periods, several guys can hunt a farm based on time period. With a have it all, one start date - too much congestion and the quality of the hunt suffers.

If it's not broke - don't fix it.

29-Mar-18
I think the season should start April 1,,,,,,,, not many want to hunt memorial day weekend,,,,,,, You say if its not broke, don't fix it,,,,, well it wasn't broke, but they tried to fix it, with the new season start date,,,,dumb

30-Mar-18
That would put the Youth Hunt in March - Not a good idea! Many, many folks don't want to hunt the last 2 seasons. For a thousand reasons, I guess. Love having the entire woods to myself - some of the BEST turkey hunting is done in the last 2 periods and folks miss out every year!

30-Mar-18
I would not put the youth season in March, when I say start the season, I mean the youth hunt,,,,, they had it perfect, than started to screw around with it, why I do not know,,,,,,, I will be out the last period, if it is not too hot,,,, but I can hunt right around my house

31-Mar-18
I will be out every season, but doing more calling than hunting. I love calling turkeys in for others. It almost ranks right up there with bowhunting on those frosty late October/early November mornings.

31-Mar-18
I hear you guys!! Good luck to ya both!!

Early morning hunts are cool mostly but warm up fast in the day!!

31-Mar-18
Cant wait was up this week saw a few birds but spent most of my time ice fishing. Got 1st 3rd 4th and will get a 5th this week.

31-Mar-18
This will be my 3rd year, trying with a stick bow,,,, I have a new long bow, that I shoot lights out with,,,,,,,, My problem is when I get the shot, my brain takes over, and I automatically try to take a head shot, which I just miss...... Have to concentrate on the body shot.................... I always hunt with a sneak up method, so I do not carry any decoys or such, but I have a mouth call or two, but I can make a hen sound, just as good as my calls.....

I painted one of my wifes umbrellas, to look like a turkey,,,,,, I think I can work it to look like it is fanning and such, and walk up on them, set it down, and shoot...............

Of course it will not work on a windy day, but would keep me dry,,, ha ha..... Wish my long bow was tapped, so I could put my tac ta cam on it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

31-Mar-18
ground hunter my one son used a fan and snuck up on one in a field. My other son recorded it. good luck

31-Mar-18
Ground Hunter....Duct tape is your friend. Good luck.

31-Mar-18
I use to use just a fan,,, than I went to the Primos decoy to walk with it, and sold that, now its the umbrella ............... albino, going to try something,,,,,,,

31-Mar-18
I think I got the tac ta cam figured out.... I rigged up a system, where I can wear it, on the back side of my bow holding hand, on the glove,,,,, think it is going to work,,,, when my bow hand points my camera is looking

31-Mar-18
Should be interesting. I hope you get a good video. I don't get out of my blind much unless a Turkey catches me there. Between my back & prosthetic knee I don't get too low anymore & if I did I might get stuck there. It used to be so easy but even trapping I used to just step into the water. Now I sit on the edge & slide in & I have to crawl out & get back to standing. Plus the Turkeys would hear me moaning & swearing & maybe even hear my bones creaking & crunching. lol. I also fall over fairly often now. It is pretty funny if you can keep your humor. Last Turkey season was really painful & shortly after I had a stretch where I couldn't walk at all for 8 days. I am doing a bit better this year. I hope to hunt all seasons except the second.

04-Apr-18
Looks like the youth of Wisconsin will be seeking shelter in igloos, ice castles, and using snow camo this go-'round! With a freshly fallen 12" here in central Wisconsin and temperatures staying chilly for the foreseeable future I'd expect "interesting" results here in a little over a week.

04-Apr-18
We postponed our mentored hunt that was supposed to be this weekend. Originally I suggested pushing it back two weeks but was outnumbered and we changed to a week later. Now we are considering it.

• Sitka Gear