Bows the way 13-Apr-18
ground hunter 27-Apr-18
Bows the way 30-Apr-18
JL 04-May-18
happygolucky 07-May-18
ground hunter 18-May-18
Bows the way 23-May-18
28-Dec-17
I have a bad feeling it's going to be a bad winter for the UP deer herd.

28-Dec-17
I agree,,,, right now in the UP by me, the cold, is going to stay at least to the 7th.... crust has formed over the snow, and it is tough right now,,,,,, In my yard, the feed is going out,,,,,,,, I have cut enough, that there is a lot of browse, and than I will add feed,,,,,,

I keep a journal,,,, this is the same pattern and dates, as 2013,,,,,,,,,, I wish we could have had some doe tags this past fall,,,,,, You can not stock pile deer around here

28-Dec-17
I agree 100%. Wondering how many of the does and yearlings are going to make it. Last i heard t heres about 2 feet of snow around my place. Alot of deer are going to go to waste.

28-Dec-17
The wolves are running them hard in the Ottawa,,,,,, already seen dead deer, and they were not hit by a car or anything, I believe it was just stress, being run all night,,,,, most wolves do not even eat the meat, just kill for the fun of it............ I have been told, that this is not true, they waste nothing, Really? well shows you how much you have seen, I reply

28-Dec-17
If you guys are seeing what you think are deer that have been attacked by wolves in the deep snow, you may want to take some pics of the deer and the foot prints around the carcass. The pics might come in handy down the road.

I too was wondering about the early winter stress on the deer. I hope the young ones can make it.

28-Dec-17
The last two good years are about to be earsed I'm affriad.

28-Dec-17
We have a long way to go hopefully this turns around before too long . I have a place near garden. My friend who lives near there said they only have 6 inches of snow down there.

28-Dec-17
I have to agree with you guys, it going to be bad.

29-Dec-17
Makes me pissed off at the DNR and the NRC..... I would have been thrilled to shoot one of those does I saw this year at my place. I never saw a buck.

29-Dec-17
I had so many does it wasn't funny. My daughter kept asking why we couldn't take one cause it didnt make sense. She never filled her tag. I think they should consider at least opening the does to kids call it hunter retainment.

29-Dec-17
I had so many does it wasn't funny. My daughter kept asking why we couldn't take one cause it didnt make sense. She never filled her tag. I think they should consider at least opening the does to kids call it hunter retainment.

02-Jan-18
New one month record in Houghton County; 119 inches in December!

02-Jan-18
Anyone finding any carcasses yet? Buzzards or crows maybe??

02-Jan-18
All those does that were SAVED by the rifle hunters TELLING the DNR that we shouldn't shoot them will be dead by spring.

02-Jan-18
Looking at weather underground, another shot of cold air and snow is coming in for us in the TVC area. Looking at Iron Mt....the bottom falls out for temps for the next few days. This seems like February weather in late December/early January.

02-Jan-18
5 straight days below 0 in northwest ohio.

03-Jan-18
A lot of doom and gloom which may or may not turn out to be the case this winter. I have been bow hunting the UP since 1969 and seen a lot of up's and down's. Is this winter going to be a real deer killer, it is to soon to tell. Deer thrive all across Canada in colder weather then we have here. The big issue is snow depth and length of winter. The UP wildlife biologist tell me that March 15 is a key date. If the deer can move freely by then, there will be little die off. Each day beyond the March 15, we lose deer. The areas off Lake Superior where we get lots of lake effect snow, is just a tough area for deer. Areas away from the heavy snows, it is much less likely to have a major die off. So far some areas of the UP are doing well, others not. One key for the future is to keep deer numbers below the carrying capacity so as not to destroy future winter food supplies. When deer numbers get to high, they not only eat the food, they eat the plants that supply the food. Right now I am optimistic for areas away from the lake effect snow. In many areas deer are still moving freely, which is a good sign.

03-Jan-18

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

JL's Link
Link to the DNR's WSI updated weekly. First chart is the Yoop.

03-Jan-18

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

JL's Link
Here's the NLP.

03-Jan-18

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

JL's Link
Here's the SLP.

03-Jan-18
Yep.... If this keeps up the deer are pretty much toast.....

06-Jan-18
Not all deer head to the " banana belt". There are yards all over the Yoop.

07-Jan-18
Deer Iron County are in good shape,,,, seeing a lot of deer,,, little snow for the most part, and the extreme cold does not bother them deer,,,,, deer hitting the tops on the log jobs really well.......

Not much in coyote sign, but lots of fox sign, and trapping has been good,,, wolves pretty much cleaning out the coyotes.........

Big 39lb bobcat taken by Watersmeet on Saturday......... Participated in coyote hunt with dogs, across the river in Florence County Wis, very few yotes, there too, lots of deer, on the log jobs,,,,,,

The Ottawa needs to be cut, like they are cutting in Wisconsin Cheumagon/Nicolet, they are going to town there, and man are the deer responding,,,,,

Gee, I think many forgot, its about habitat, and not food plots and bait

08-Jan-18
Good news Groundhunter, yep it's about habitat.

13-Jan-18
The cold increases the deer's nutritional needs. The comment it has zero effect is fake news.

13-Jan-18
The cold isn't what does the Killin . It's how long the snow keeps em in the yarding areas. Too much time eating low nutrition cedar browse and they drop like flies. Those deer in the thermal cover , cedar swamp areas, have a survival mechanism that slows their metabolism and therefore minimizes the deers need to ingest high nutrition food . That's when they are eating the cedar. It's filler . Keeps the system working . That's why dumping corn out to deer who haven't had it in mid Winter will kill them ,too hot. At an earlier date it wouldn't hurt them. the deer also know when they have to migrate to the yards.some years heavy migration some not so much. They seem to know how hard the winters gonna be. Once they yard up though they're stuck there till the snow says they can leave.

13-Jan-18
Cold temperatures increase the requirement for food with energy, this is true when feeding livestock and deer. Deer keep warm by metabolism, and this requires energy. The BRaNDS nutritional program is applicable to cattle, as well as deer in it's general principles.

Starvation does the killing which is the body's inability to meet nutritional needs. Cold temperatures increase the need for foods with high nutritional value, especially energy.

It is true that high energy foods such as corn fed in a starvation state are of no value and can be harmful. Corn and other grains fed properly are highly beneficial to maintain body condition.

It is also true that deep snow keeps deer in yards, but the yard does not kill the deer. Lack of food in the yard becomes the problem, and the lower the temperatures, the shorter duration the " yard food " lasts. Most winter severity indexes I have seen take into account snow depth, and days of temperature below zero, or some temperature.

13-Jan-18
I guess I would reply that you are correct and that being locked in the yard is what kills the deer. At any rate it's not pretty when the die off happens.

26-Jan-18
DMC65's point is IF deer can move freely, they can get to food. Deer in colder climates then the UP, like Canada, do well in the winter. But when the snow gets deep and deer can't move to get at winter food, they starve. Cold doesn't kill the deer, but deep snow prevents deer from getting to available food. I guess you could make the case that if the temperature was above freezing there would be no snow.

28-Jan-18
Nothing like the repeated use of wintering grounds to promote starvation and the spread of diseases such as CWD. Spread those deer out.

29-Jan-18
A lot of snow up in Houghton, (whats new) , but reports are the deer are wintering well,,,,, I can tell you the deer in Iron County are doing very well,,,,, the short warm ups between weather, has helped,,,,, they are all over the log jobs on them tops,,,,

They are going to come thru in good shape,,,,,,,,,, Missouri you are correct, but the state has been aggressive in providing more grounds for that,,,, Here is another plus, which they should have more of, RGS GEMS, the one by me, has turned into a nice place for the winter for deer, lots of deer in there

27-Feb-18
deer in Iron County still doing real well,,,, nice easy winter, for them,,,,

27-Feb-18
Glad to hear ground hunter.

27-Feb-18
I was wondering how things were going.

02-Mar-18
Anyone been around in the schoolcraft county area. Looking for feed back in the M28 area (seney)

02-Mar-18
Anyone been around in the schoolcraft county area. Looking for feed back in the M28 area (seney)

03-Apr-18
Well sad to say, winter has taken a turn since March, and so far April is lining up to be not very good, and a surprise, but its here and not good. Heavy crust now of many inches, and now on top of that more snow, its a bitch in the woods.....

Central UP now at 50+ on the Winter Severity Index,,,,, it looks like a reprieve next week of the 40's coming, but is another cold and icy week,,,,, southern Iron Co holding on, but up north, not good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its been a slugger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

03-Apr-18
I agree gh, this is not good from the WSI perspective and there is no big relief in sight from the forecast perspective. While it may hit the 40s during the day, the nights are staying very cold and the snow and ice won't be leaving anytime soon. The woods are hard to get around in for sure. Lots of crusting and now lots of fresh snow on top of that.

03-Apr-18
The past several years of recovery is gone. Time to start over.

05-Apr-18
All of those does the DNR wouldn't let us shoot will now starve to death. Thanks DNR.

06-Apr-18
Heard today from some friends in northern schoolcraft that the struggle to survive is on. Said theres areas with 2+ feet in the woods. Now i know ive only pwned property up there for 3 years but I dont remember 2+ this late. Dont get me wrong I know snow is not uncommon in april but 2+.

06-Apr-18
North Central UP is having a tough time, due to the ice cover layer, under the last foot of snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they are heavy in the yards, and going where anyone is feeding at this time.................... Weather is suppose to break after Tuesday

07-Apr-18
Hope it breaks fast and quick.

08-Apr-18
I went to camp in Esky Friday night and came back yesterday. I could not get trails cut in my swampy land due to how deep the snow is and how wet it is under it. They guy with his Fecon tried but was very afraid of getting stuck, so we aborted. I had him run his skid steer around my main trails to flatten the snow to help the deers' travels. It was tough trudging on the land with the deep snow. The deer on my cameras look very healthy though. They really hammered all the cedars I had cut for them in early March. I cut more for them yesterday. They were digging in my food plots during the warm up prior to his last big snow fall. They really could use some minerals from Grandpa Ray Outdoors :). I had a lot of food plot work already in by this time last year. I'm expecting a couple of apple trees in the mail in the next couple of weeks. Not good...

10-Apr-18
Just need some 50s

10-Apr-18
Not going to happen any time soon, 40;s at best late the following week, but still very cold at night, well below freezing, and again now we will have rain,,,,,,,, I will not be in the woods till May

10-Apr-18
Weather change snow coming in for the weekend,,,,, 20 inches central UP possible, 13 inches southern Iron Co

11-Apr-18
My friend reports now finding dead fawns west of me,,,,,, toll will start to kick in, maybe this warm up coming, will save some................. I have said this for years,,, You can not stockpile deer in the north,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

11-Apr-18
That's exactly what Ed Spinazola says.......

11-Apr-18
Big Bear I got a possible 18 24 coming in central UP,,,,, that will put the dagger in them,and back at the cabin wed to clean up..... I can start a chain saw, and leave it run, and come back outside, and deer are looking,,,,,,,,,

I am feeding them heavy,,,,,,, I know a guy, where a 5 year old buck, (just a guess) is following him around, that is how hungry some deer are..............................

11-Apr-18
Good luck to you guys in your quest to help the deer. Death by starvation is an ugly sight

12-Apr-18
Thank god they held thoughs doe tags. Wonder how many of my does made it a few had twins hoing into the winter.

12-Apr-18
Ground Hunter are you in Iron County?

12-Apr-18
Remember, them does are carrying fawns, more stress and need for more food

Yooper yes

13-Apr-18
30 inches possible by Tuesday morning ugh.

27-Apr-18
I think this warm weather has saved a lot of deer, melting fast, seeing a lot of them, makes me feel better,,,,, if this would have lasted the month and than ice in early May, it would have been bad,,,,,,, we dodged a bullet in a sense.........

now its scouting and stand building, and trout fishing and just plain bumming,,,,,,,

30-Apr-18
Time will tell. No just bring on the doe tags for this year.

04-May-18
I have cams out now. Didn't see any sign by one of my stands, including the sandy two-track nearby. About 1 mile away I did see four out feeding. They looked ok...nothing showing skin-n-bones. One of them was a young one that made it thru the winter.

07-May-18
All the deer on my cameras look very healthy. There have been plenty of pregnant does and some fawns from last year. A few with antlers coming through as of a couple of weeks ago. All the snow on my land was melted when I was up a couple of weeks ago allowing me to do a couple of the spring plots and plant a couple more apple trees. I'm heading back up on Wed to disk, lime, seed, and fertilize another new smaller plot. My bigger ones are only fall plots.

18-May-18
I was trout fishing over by the Paint, lots of drumming by the grouse, deer I do not know, April was tough on them,,,,, MI sure could use more and better yards, remember as a kid all the cedar swamps they were in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, found 4 dead ones, why I have no idea,,,,,, easy to find them, eagles and ravens all over the skies

I heard it was not good in the Bergland area, they took a beating over there,,,,,,, someday they will learn, you can not stockpile deer in the north, now all they are doing is letting the winter and the wolves kill em

23-May-18
Found two at my place and those bones were picked clean.

• Sitka Gear